Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
16 April 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- China Push For COVID-19 Praise Backfires in US Amid Rising WHO Criticism Radio Free Asia 16 Apr 2020 -- A campaign by Chinese consular staff to press the legislature of the U.S. state of Wisconsin to pass a resolution praising China's handling of the COVID-19 outbreak – written by China – backfired spectacularly, inspiring a motion that says Beijing "deliberately and intentionally misled the world."
- Africans Feel Targeted by China Over Coronavirus VOA 16 Apr 2020 -- In a video shared with VOA, a Congolese student in Guangzhou, China, peeks through a cracked-open door and pleads for permission to leave his apartment.
- Diplomatic spat continues between France and China over COVID-19 response Press TV 16 Apr 2020 -- A diplomatic spat is widening between France and China over an article on the website of the Chinese Embassy in Paris criticizing the West's handling of the COVID-19 epidemic.
- China Advises India to 'Choose Certified Products' After Reports of Thousands of Faulty Kits Sputnik 16 Apr 2020 -- India has ordered 15 million personal protective equipment (PPE) kits, and 1.5 million rapid testing kits from China. The first batch of 6,50,000 Chinese kits arrived in India earlier on Thursday.
- Zarif lauds China anti-COVID19 aid to Iran IRNA 16 Apr 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Minister in a message on Thursday thanked China for providing medical aid to Iran in time of coronavirus outbreak and slammed US sanctions that hindered Iran's fight against pandemic.
- Chinese Survey Ship Moves to Malaysian, Bruneian Waters Radio Free Asia 16 Apr 2020 -- A Chinese survey vessel on Thursday commenced survey operations within Malaysia and Brunei's exclusive economic zone, vessel tracking software shows, in the latest sign of Beijing's expansive reach across the contested South China Sea.
- Pentagon Chief Claims Chinese Communist Party Was Misleading US About Coronavirus Sputnik 16 Apr 2020 -- The Trump administration previously accused Beijing of covering up crucial data at the beginning of the pandemic, while the US Senate has investigated allegations that the UN World Health Organisation (WHO) helped China carry out the alleged coverup.
- Beijing Says There is 'No Scientific Evidence' in Claims About COVID-19 Leak From Wuhan Laboratory Sputnik 16 Apr 2020 -- A version of events circulating in US media that COVID-19 allegedly leaked from a laboratory in Wuhan has no scientific evidence behind it, Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesman Zhao Lijian said.
- Coronavirus origin a scientific question, no evidence shows virus made in lab: FM Global Times 16 Apr 2020 -- The origin and transmission pattern of the novel coronavirus are a scientific question and should be left to scientists and medical experts to study, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian reiterated at a press conference on Thursday, in response to US media Fox New's report on the coronavirus being from "Wuhan laboratory."
- China donates COVID-19 test kits to Syria Global Times 16 Apr 2020 -- China on Wednesday donated 2,016 COVID-19 test kits to the Syria to help its fight against the novel coronavirus.
- China to focus on asymptomatic patients as 50% of confirmed cases show no symptoms: top medical expert Global Times 16 Apr 2020 -- China still faces challenges from imported coronavirus cases and asymptomatic patients, which are now two major focuses, especially as about 50 percent of patients do not show clinical symptoms like fever, Zhong Nanshan, the country's top medical expert, told a videoconference with European medical experts on Thursday.
- Xi approves Chinese military medical teams to leave Hubei as mission completed Global Times 16 Apr 2020 -- The military medical teams sent to Central China's Hubei Province to fight against the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) have completed their mission and are returning home, and Chinese military experts noted that this professional and advanced force which specialized in fighting the pandemic could be deployed to any other place in need once they receive new orders.
- 1 in 5 asymptomatic patients show symptoms in China, but experts play down infection risk Global Times 16 Apr 2020 -- Asymptomatic infections remain a challenge for China but there is no need to be overly concerned about another wave of COVID-19 infections caused by silent coronavirus carriers, health officials and experts said on Thursday.
- Harbin anti-epidemic team criticized after clustered COVID-19 infections found Global Times 16 Apr 2020 -- Officials in charge of anti-epidemic work in Harbin, capital of Northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, have been criticized for failing to control the spread of COVID-19 following recent clusters of infections. The province had previously gone consecutive 29 days without new infections.
- Guangzhou gets tough on foreigners who violate laws amid epidemic Global Times 16 Apr 2020 -- Police in South China's Guangzhou on Thursday said they will strengthen law enforcement on foreigners' cases related to the COVID-19 epidemic.
- Chinese medical experts arrive in Saudi Arabia to help fight COVID-19 Global Times 16 Apr 2020 -- A team of Chinese medical experts arrived in Saudi Arabia's capital Riyadh on Wednesday to assist the kingdom in combating COVID-19, or the novel coronavirus.
- Shanghai reports 6 imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- Shanghai reported six imported cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on Wednesday, the municipal health commission said Thursday.
- China's Hubei reports no increase in COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- No new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were reported in central China's Hubei Province Wednesday, local health authority said Thursday.
- 76 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- A total of 76 patients of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were discharged from hospitals Wednesday on the Chinese mainland, according to the National Health Commission.
- Chinese mainland reports 34 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported 34 new imported cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Wednesday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,534, the National Health Commission said Thursday.
- Chinese mainland reports 46 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Thursday that it received reports of 46 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the mainland Wednesday, of which 34 were imported.
- China's Heilongjiang reports 20 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- Northeast China's Heilongjiang Province on Wednesday reported four new confirmed COVID-19 cases transmitted locally and 16 new confirmed cases from overseas, the provincial health commission said Thursday.
- Beijing reports one new imported COVID-19 case People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- Beijing reported one new confirmed case of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) from the United States on Tuesday, bringing the total number of imported cases in the national capital to 174, a local health official said Wednesday.
- China's management of asymptomatic coronavirus cases effective: official People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- Measures taken to manage asymptomatic coronavirus cases in China have proved to be effective, a health official said Wednesday.
- Foreign nationals infected with COVID-19 should be treated before paying cost: Chinese authorities People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- Authorities have made it clear in a notification that foreign nationals on the Chinese mainland confirmed or suspected of being infected with COVID-19 should be treated before paying for medical expenses.
- Chinese medical teams head to Ethiopia, Burkina Faso for fight against COVID-19 PLA Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- Chinese medical experts on Thursday set off to Ethiopia and Burkina Faso to support the African countries' fight against COVID-19, said Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian.
- China rejects Trump's virus remarks, says no evidence COVID-19 made in lab Press TV 16 Apr 2020 -- China's foreign ministry has rejected recent remarks by US President Donald Trump and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo that the novel coronavirus was first made in a lab in the city of Wuhan.
- Tibetan Schoolchildren Lose Fluency in Native Language as Schools Switch to Mandarin Radio Free Asia 16 Apr 2020 -- Children in the Tibetan Autonomous Region are losing fluency in the Tibetan language as schools in the region are increasingly teaching subjects in Mandarin on Chinese government orders.
- Zarif: Iran, China condemn illegal US sanctions that bar fight against virus Press TV 16 Apr 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has announced Iran and China's condemnation of the illegal and unilateral US sanctions against the Islamic Republic as the country is doing its best to bring under control a deadly outbreak of new coronavirus, known as COVID-19.
- Chinese state security organs unveil retired official's plot to subvert state power Global Times 16 Apr 2020 -- China's Ministry of State Security has revealed a series of major cases threatening the country's security including one involving a retired official who reached out to foreign enemy forces and plotted to stage terrorist activities in Kunming, Southwest China's Yunnan Province, to subvert state power.
- China refutes U.S.'s 'groundless' report, says committed to moratorium on nuclear tests PLA Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- The Equipment Development Department (EDD) under China's Central Military Commission (CMC), in collaboration with the State Administration of Science, Technology, and Industry for National Defense (SASTIND) and the PLA Academy of Military Science, has officially launched the compilation of Weapons and Equipment History of the People's Liberation Army (PLA), which is expected to be completed in 2027.
- 'China conducted nuclear tests' a US trick to push West-led treaty: Chinese expert Global Times 16 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry on Thursday rubbished the US' accusation that China may have secretly conducted nuclear tests, and a Chinese nuclear disarmament expert said the groundless accusation is a US attempt to push China into a Western countries-led nuclear treaty while also diverting domestic pressures caused by the novel coronavirus.
- China starts compiling PLA's weapons & equipment history PLA Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- The Equipment Development Department (EDD) under China's Central Military Commission (CMC), in collaboration with the State Administration of Science, Technology, and Industry for National Defense (SASTIND) and the PLA Academy of Military Science, has officially launched the compilation of Weapons and Equipment History of the People's Liberation Army (PLA), which is expected to be completed in 2027.
- Top official warns of HK as 'weak link' PLA Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- Hong Kong must not become a weak link in national security, Luo Huining, the central government's top official in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, said on Wednesday.
- Safeguarding national security common responsibility of Hong Kong society Global Times 16 Apr 2020 -- Wednesday marked China's fifth National Security Education Day, with a series of events taking place in its Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) to promote national security education.
- China Will Have to Respond to Hard Questions on COVID-19 Outbreak - UK Foreign Minister Sputnik 16 Apr 2020 -- Critics have charged China with allowing the COVID-19 pandemic to get out of control by hiding the outbreak and under-reporting data on those infected. Numerous media outlets have published reports suggesting that China created the coronavirus in a laboratory in Wuhan.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list