Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
03 February 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Philippine Lawmakers Warn of Chinese Influence over Power Grid Radio Free Asia 03 Feb 2020 -- Senators in Manila expressed concerns Monday about China's potential access to the Philippine power grid, as an executive from a Chinese-linked utility told a senate inquiry that hackers had breached the national grid's computers "hundreds of times" in recent weeks.
- Recovery rate surpasses death rate in viral outbreak Global Times 03 Feb 2020 -- Positive signs have emerged from the novel coronavirus outbreak as recovery rates have exceeded death rates in recent days and nationwide preventative and control measures have yielded positive results, despite the rise in the number of confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus.
- Daily production of diagnostic kits restored to 70% of normal levels: official Global Times 03 Feb 2020 -- As more than 20,000 patients suspected of novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) infection in China were waiting for a definite diagnosis, Chinese officials said on Monday that the daily output of diagnostic kits for the novel coronavirus reached 40 times more than patients suspected of contracting the virus and can basically meet demand.
- China blasts US for no help in virus fight Global Times 03 Feb 2020 -- Chinese government officials and observers on Monday blasted the US for not offering any concrete help to China to fight the ongoing novel coronavirus outbreak, but instead overreacted to the epidemic and created chaos by being the first country to withdraw its consular staff from Wuhan, a move which analysts called immoral but not surprising.
- Hong Kong Closes Smaller Border Crossings As Calls Grow For Total Shutdown Radio Free Asia 03 Feb 2020 -- Authorities in Hong Kong said they would shut down the majority of border crossings with mainland China at midnight on Monday amid the expanding coronavirus epidemic, as thousands of medical staff went on strike over the government's handling of the public health emergency.
- Hong Kong to shut down several mainland-bound ports, including Luohu, Lok Ma Chau and Huanggang ports effective Tuesday Global Times 03 Feb 2020 -- As part of efforts to contain the spread of coronavirus, HongKong will shut down several mainland-bound customs, including Luohu, Lok Ma Chau, and Huanggang port effective Tuesday, only Shenzhen Bay and HK-Zhuhai-Macao bridge ports will continue to function: CarrieLam
- Transmission ways of nCoV spark concern Global Times 03 Feb 2020 -- New ways of transmitting the coronavirus have been reported, and virus nucleic acid has been detected outside human bodies, sparking public concerns that the virus could be transmitted in unknown and undetected ways.
- 361 dead, 17,205 cases of coronavirus confirmed on Chinese mainland Global Times 03 Feb 2020 -- A total of 17,205 cases of novel coronavirus were confirmed on the Chinese mainland as of 24:00 on Sunday, with 361 dead and 475 recovered patients, said China's National Health Commission.
- Face mask purchase regulations implemented across China Global Times 03 Feb 2020 -- Cities across China introduced policies to regulate face mask sales to alleviate supply shortages amid its fight against the novel coronavirus.
- PLA air force dispatches 8 transport aircraft to support Wuhan's coronavirus fight People's Daily 03 Feb 2020 -- Eight large transport aircraft dispatched by the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) air force Sunday landed at Wuhan Tianhe International Airport, delivering 795 military medical staff and 58 tonnes of supplies to help the city fight against the novel coronavirus epidemic.
- WHO advises public on novel coronavirus People's Daily 03 Feb 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) released information and advice recently to the public regarding the novel coronavirus epidemic, which has struck China, particularly its central Hubei Province.
- Xi chairs leadership meeting on epidemic control People's Daily 03 Feb 2020 -- The Standing Committee of the Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee on Monday held a meeting on the prevention and control of pneumonia epidemic caused by the novel coronavirus.
- Daily necessities supplies remain ample in China amid coronavirus outbreak: MOC People's Daily 03 Feb 2020 -- The supplies of daily necessities across the country remained ample with stable prices amid the novel coronavirus outbreak in China, the Ministry of Commerce (MOC) said Monday.
- Current epidemic control in China still faces challenges: expert People's Daily 03 Feb 2020 -- The current epidemic prevention and control of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) outbreak still face a lot of problems and challenges, said renowned Chinese respiratory expert Zhong Nanshan.
- Shortage of medical supplies easing in province hit hardest by virus: official People's Daily 03 Feb 2020 -- Medical supplies to control the outbreak of the novel coronavirus are in a "tight balance" in central China's Hubei Province while related production capacity is recovering fast, a Chinese official said Monday.
- China resumes 60 percent of mask production: official People's Daily 03 Feb 2020 -- China has recovered 60 percent of its mask production capability, and is able to produce around 10 million pieces per day, said Huang Libin, spokesperson of the country's Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT) at a press conference on Feb. 2.
- 68 medical teams sent to Hubei to aid coronavirus control People's Daily 03 Feb 2020 -- Sixty-eight medical teams totaling over 8,310 members have been sent to central China's Hubei Province as of Sunday to aid novel coronavirus control, according to local authorities.
- China's Hubei reports 2,103 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection People's Daily 03 Feb 2020 -- Central China's Hubei Province reported 2,103 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 56 new deaths on Sunday, local health authorities said Monday.
- China sees more patients recover from novel coronavirus infection People's Daily 03 Feb 2020 -- Chinese provinces and municipalities reported Sunday that more patients infected with the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) have recovered and left hospitals.
- Hubei to conduct centralized isolation of suspected cases of novel coronavirus People's Daily 03 Feb 2020 -- The headquarters for the control and treatment of the epidemic caused by the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in central China's Hubei Province has announced that it will conduct centralized isolation of all suspected infection cases.
- China stresses epidemic control in public areas after holiday People's Daily 03 Feb 2020 -- China's National Health Commission Sunday called for efforts to step up epidemic prevention and control in public areas and transportation vehicles.
- China vows to facilitate passage of vehicles for epidemic battle People's Daily 03 Feb 2020 -- Traffic management authorities across China have been ordered to make their utmost efforts to facilitate the passage of vehicles involved in epidemic prevention and control efforts, according to an urgent circular issued Sunday.
- China sees 2,829 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection, 57 new deaths People's Daily 03 Feb 2020 -- Chinese health authorities Monday said it received reports of 2,829 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 57 deaths on Sunday from 31 provincial-level regions and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps.
- Chinese authorities stress greater medical supplies support to key regions in epidemic battle People's Daily 03 Feb 2020 -- Chinese authorities on Sunday stressed providing greater medical supplies support to central China's Hubei Province, particularly the key regions -- the city of Wuhan and its surrounding areas -- to help curb the epidemic caused by the novel coronavirus.
- New hospital ready in Wuhan PLA Daily 03 Feb 2020 -- A 1,000-bed hospital in Wuhan, Hubei province, will begin receiving highly contagious pneumonia patients on Monday, less than 10 days after construction began.
- China: US spreading fear over coronavirus outbreak instead of offering aid Press TV 03 Feb 2020 -- China says the United States is spreading fear over the outbreak of coronavirus by pulling Americans out of the Asian country and enforcing travel restrictions instead of providing significant aid to Beijing in curbing the killer infection.
- China opens new hospital amid ongoing intl. contingency plans Press TV 03 Feb 2020 -- China has finished the construction of an emergency hospital in just eight days in Wuhan, the city at the center of the new Coronovirus outbreak as the epidemic continues to claim more lives and infect more people across the country and beyond its borders.
- Information Concerning Coronavirus Spread in Xinjiang is 'State Secret': Official Radio Free Asia 03 Feb 2020 -- Information about the novel coronavirus (nCoV) and how it has spread in northwest China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) is a "state secret" and cannot be shared with the public, according to a government employee in the region's capital Urumqi.
- China Clamps Down on Independent Reporting of Epidemic as Cases, Deaths Keep Rising Radio Free Asia 03 Feb 2020 -- The ruling Chinese Communist Party is moving to curb media organizations and social media users in their reporting of the Wuhan coronavirus epidemic, RFA has learned, as the number of confirmed cases rose to more than 17,000 with a total of 362 deaths reported on Monday.
- Iranian students in Wuhan to be repatriated on Tuesday ISNA 03 Feb 2020 -- An especial flight will be dispatched to Wuhan in the early hours of Tuesday to repatriate 70 Iranian students, Iran's Health Minister said, adding that no case of Coronavirus has been reported in Iran yet.
- China Opens New Hospital as Death Toll From Coronavirus Rises VOA 03 Feb 2020 -- Patients in China with coronavirus began arriving at a new 1,000-bed hospital that crews rushed to build in less than two weeks as the death toll from the virus outbreak rose to 425 in China alone.
- Chinese Experts Suspect Coronavirus Originated in Bats VOA 03 Feb 2020 -- The new coronavirus that has killed at least 425 people in China may have originated in bats, Chinese scientists say.
- Chinese Ambassador Allays Africa Coronavirus Fears VOA 03 Feb 2020 -- One of China's top Africa diplomats -- the ambassador to South Africa -- says there is no need for Africans to panic over the coronavirus.
- Safety prioritized for aircraft carrier, fighter jet developers amid virus outbreak Global Times 03 Feb 2020 -- Chinese armaments companies have postponed planned work in order to concentrate on controlling the risk of spreading the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV), including those building the country's new aircraft carrier and fighter jets, as well as those in Wuhan, Hubei Province, the epicenter of the virus outbreak.
- China develops new gyroplane for border plateau operations Global Times 03 Feb 2020 -- The latest gyroplane commissioned by the People's Liberation Army (PLA) has increased plateau capabilities for a wider variety of missions and is expected to be deployed along China's southwestern border regions, experts said on Sunday.
- Military trucks help deliver daily necessities in China's Wuhan People's Daily 03 Feb 2020 -- A total of some 350 tonnes of daily necessities have been delivered by military trucks to supermarkets in the city of Wuhan, the epicenter of the novel coronavirus, since Sunday.
- PLA steps up to assist transport of essentials PLA Daily 03 Feb 2020 -- The People's Liberation Army has begun to use transport units to help to distribute necessities to markets and shops in Wuhan, capital of Hubei province and epicenter of the ongoing coronavirus outbreak.
- Local troops help transport and distribute living materials in Wuhan PLA Daily 03 Feb 2020 -- On February 2, the PLA troops stationed in China's Hubei Province dispatched 50 military trucks to transport over 200 tons of living goods and materials from some distribution centers to major grocery stores in Wuhan to support the daily life of local residents.
- Central energy enterprise guarantees power support for epidemic prevention and control People's Daily 03 Feb 2020 -- To fight the pneumonia epidemic caused by the novel coronavirus outbreak, a Chinese central enterprise has responded to the call of SASAC by making every effort to guarantee power support to aid the prevention and control of the epidemic.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list