Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2015 - China Special Weapons News
- CIA officers pulled from Beijing after OMP hack attack Press TV 30 Sep 2015 -- The US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) pulled a number of officers from the American Embassy in Beijing as a precautionary measure following the cyber theft of millions of government employees' personal data, says a report.
- Report: CIA Agents Pulled From China After Data Breach VOA 30 Sep 2015 -- An undisclosed number of CIA officers have been pulled from China in the wake of massive cybertheft earlier this year that exposed the personal data of more than 21 million U.S. government workers, The Washington Post reported, citing current and former U.S. officials.
- Two Japanese men held in China on spying charges: Reports Press TV 30 Sep 2015 -- Newly released reports say two Japanese men have been detained in China on charges of spying and have been held in custody for several months.
- Vietnamese President Challenges China's Xi Over Spratly Islands VOA 29 Sep 2015 -- Vietnam's President Truong Tan Sang has publicly rejected sovereignty claims by Chinese President Xi Jinping over disputed islands in the South China Sea.
- China to set up $1b peace fund People's Daily 29 Sep 2015 -- China will establish a $1 billion 'China-UN Peace and Development Fund' to support the United Nations' multilateral cooperation and boost world peace, President Xi Jinping said on Monday.
- China's President urges UN General Assembly to put new development agenda into action UN News 28 Sep 2015 -- In his address to the United Nations General Assembly's annual gathering of world leaders, the President of China warned that the security of all countries was interrelated and that no country could protect its security alone and none could find stability at the expense of another's.
- President Rouhani: No power can affect Tehran-Beijing relations/Xi: Iran is China's strategic partner Iran Presidency 29 Sep 2015 -- President Hassan Rouhani sat down with the Chinese President Xi Jinping late on Monday in New York and talked about Tehran-Beijing ties, as well as China's significant role in reaching the nuclear agreement.
- Seoul Official: Xi Comments a Warning to Pyongyang VOA 28 Sep 2015 -- A senior South Korean official says Chinese President Xi Jinping's recent warning against provocative actions on the Korean peninsula was intended as a warning message to North Korea.
- Xi calls his US trip 'fruitful' People's Daily 28 Sep 2015 -- President Xi Jinping's state visit to the US has generated 'fruitful' results, especially in coping with climate change, fighting cybercrime and enhancing bilateral cooperation, experts said.
- China Pledges New Aid for UN Peacekeeping, Development VOA 28 Sep 2015 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping, addressing world leaders at the U.N. General Assembly, made new commitments to uphold peace, encourage global development and support efforts to reduce climate change.
- China not after militarizing disputed islands: Xi to US Press TV 26 Sep 2015 -- China has rejected the US claim that Beijing is seeking to "militarize" artificial islands it has built in the South China Sea, stressing that his country is committed to protecting peace in the disputed waters.
- China Completes Major New Runway in South China Sea Sputnik 26 Sep 2015 -- Satellite imagery shows that China has completed construction on a main runway on a Fiery Cross Reef in the South China Sea.
- China Has No Intention of Militarizing South China Sea - Xi Jinping Sputnik 26 Sep 2015 -- China does not intend to militarize the Nansha/Spratly Islands in the South China Sea and will remain committed to keeping peace and stability in the region, Chinese President Xi Jinping said on Friday.
- Xi proposes six points for developing China-US ties People's Daily 26 Sep 2015 -- Visiting Chinese President Xi Jinping on Friday put forward a six-pronged proposal for next-stage development of China-US relations.
- US, China Agree to Cooperate on Fighting Corruption, Terrorist Financing VOA 26 Sep 2015 -- The United States and China have agreed to increase cooperation in fighting corruption, money laundering and terrorist financing, according to the Chinese Foreign Ministry.
- China Warns Against Provocative Actions on Korean Peninsula VOA 26 Sep 2015 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has warned against any tension-raising actions on the Korean Peninsula after North Korea threatened to conduct a long-range rocket launch and nuclear test.
- Remarks by President Obama and President Xi of the People's Republic of China in Joint Press Conference The White House 25 Sep 2015
- Remarks by President Obama and President Xi of the People's Republic of China at Arrival Ceremony The White House 25 Sep 2015
- China behind cybertheft in US: NSA chief Press TV 25 Sep 2015 -- Director of the US National Security Agency (NSA) Michael S. Rogers has accused Chinese officials of having a hand in the theft of commercial data in the US.
- US, China Agree to Refrain From Cyber Theft, Economic Espionage Sputnik 25 Sep 2015 -- The United States and China agreed not to engage in cyber-related theft of intellectual property or economic espionage, the White House said in a press release on Friday.
- US, China Agree Not to Conduct, Support Cyber Theft VOA 25 Sep 2015 -- U.S. President Barack Obama and his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping have agreed that neither country's government will conduct or 'knowingly' support cyber theft of intellectual property or commercial trade secrets, an issue that has been a source of tensions.
- US, China agree to work to avoid military confrontations in Pacific: Obama Press TV 25 Sep 2015 -- US President Barack Obama and Chinese President Xi Jinping have agreed to launch "new channels of communication" to avoid accidental military confrontations between their armed forces in the Pacific Ocean.
- US, China Agree to Reduce 'Risk of Miscalculation' Between Armies Sputnik 25 Sep 2015 -- The United States and China have agreed to reduce the risks of miscalculated moves between the two countries' armed forces in the Asia Pacific region, US President Barack Obama stated on Friday.
- China, U.S. sign annexes on military crisis reporting, encounters in air People's Daily 24 Sep 2015 -- China and the United States have signed annexes to two agreements regarding major military operations and naval and air force encounters.
- Agenda for Obama, Xi to Include N. Korea's Threats VOA 23 Sep 2015 -- President Barack Obama and Chinese President Xi Jinping are expected to discuss how to deal with North Korea's recent missile and nuclear threats during their meeting this week, officials and experts say.
- China Jails US Businesswoman on Suspicion of Spying VOA 23 Sep 2015 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping U.S. Visit comes days after Chinese authorities formally arrested and jailed a U.S. businesswoman from Houston on suspicion of spying and stealing state secrets. Her husband has been left wondering when he'll next see the woman he married in 2002.
- 'Unsafe' encounter between US spy plane, Chinese jet Press TV 23 Sep 2015 -- A Chinese interceptor jet nearly collided with an American spy plane over the Yellow Sea.
- China, Hungary hold defense strategic consultation, pledge more cooperation People's Daily 23 Sep 2015 -- China and Hungary vowed to step up military cooperation, as the two countries held a defense strategic consultation Wednesday in Beijing.
- China Unveils Missile for Fifth-Generation Fighter Jet Sputnik 23 Sep 2015 -- During a Chinese television interview, the chief designer revealed that the air-to-air missile for the fifth-generation PL-10 is almost completed.
- Pentagon Officials: Chinese Jet, US Spy Plane Narrowly Avoid Collision Sputnik 22 Sep 2015 -- A Chinese jet made a dangerous aerial intercept near a US spy plane over the Yellow Sea earlier this month, almost causing the two aircraft to collide, two Pentagon officials said.
- US needs more submarines to combat China's military: Study Press TV 22 Sep 2015 -- The United States should reduce its focus on large aircraft carries and instead begin to invest more in submarines in order to combat China's growing military power, a study has found.
- Susan E. Rice: Sino-U.S. Relationship Isn't Zero-Sum Game People's Daily 22 Sep 2015 -- "In the coming decades, strong and wise American lead-ers must, necessarily, maintain a relationship with China that promotes cooperation, while allowing for healthy competition. "said Susan E. Rice, White House National Security Advisor in a speech in the George Washington University on September 21, ahead of Chinese President Xi Jinping's state visit to the United States.
- Improvement of Global Governance Needs Joint Efforts from China and the US: President Xi People's Daily 22 Sep 2015 -- China and the US should work together to improve the global governance system, enhance cooperation and jointly respond to major challenges facing mankind, said Xi Jinping on Tuesday ahead of his first official state visit to the US as the Chinese President.
- Xi: Cybertheft of Commercial Secrets Should be Punished VOA 22 Sep 2015 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping, who begins a U.S. visit Tuesday, said his government takes cybersecurity seriously, and that cyber criminals, including hackers stealing commercial secrets, should be punished according to the law and international conventions.
- Chinese, Malaysian armed forces conduct joint military exercise People's Daily 21 Sep 2015 -- The maritime subjects of the China-Malaysia joint military exercise was carried out Sunday in full swing in the designated waters in the Strait of Malacca.
- Less expensive weapons could serve foreign buyers People's Daily 21 Sep 2015 -- Foreign arms purchasers can forget about getting their hands on Chinese-made ballistic and cruise missiles, such as those displayed in the Sept 3 Victory parade, because although they are extremely powerful and of great military use, a host of statutory obstacles prevent overseas sales, according to a military expert.
- China successfully launches new carrier rocket Press TV 20 Sep 2015 -- China has successfully launched a newly-developed carrier rocket, capable of taking satellites into the orbit, as part of the country's space program.
- China Launches Next Generation Long March Rocket Sputnik 20 Sep 2015 -- The Long March 6, China's latest version of the rocket it uses to carry payloads into space, was launched at 7:01 am Sunday from Shanxi Province in northern China, and took 20 micro-satellites into orbit for tests.
- Japan's new security bills against trend of the times: defense ministry People's Daily 19 Sep 2015 -- Japan's new security laws run counter to the trend of the times that upholds peace, development and cooperation, the Ministry of National Defense (MOD) said on Saturday.
- China committed to building major-country relations with U.S.: President Xi People's Daily 18 Sep 2015 -- President Xi Jinping on Thursday said that China is committed to working with the United States to build a new type of major-power relationship.
- China Rightful Owner of South China Sea Since Han Dynasty – Admiral Sputnik 16 Sep 2015 -- During his speech at a naval conference in London, a Chinese admiral said that the South China Sea belongs to China.
- China sends peacekeeping police to Liberia People's Daily 16 Sep 2015 -- China's 14th contingent of police officers will be dispatched early Thursday morning for a United Nations (UN) peacekeeping mission in Liberia, according to the Ministry of Public Security on Wednesday.
- Cyber Sanctions Against China Looking Less Likely VOA 16 Sep 2015 -- The Obama administration reportedly is backing away from earlier plans to impose economic sanctions against China for the cyber-theft of sensitive data from U.S. government and corporate computers.
- China Building Third Airstrip in South China Sea, US Expert Warns Sputnik 15 Sep 2015 -- China appears to be building a third airstrip in contested territory in the South China Sea, a US expert said on Monday, citing satellite photographs taken last week.
- Chinese-born Professor Faults US Authorities for Arrest VOA 13 Sep 2015 -- A Chinese-born physics professor, set to be cleared of U.S. charges that he sent sensitive technology to China, is faulting American law enforcement authorities for his ordeal because of their lack of understanding of 'routine' scientific research.
- Chinese fleets depart for Sino-Malaysian joint naval drills People's Daily 13 Sep 2015 -- Chinese navy fleets on Saturday left a port in Sanya in south China's Hainan Province for a military exercise jointly held by China and Malaysia.
- PLA troops ready to help in New Zealand-led Pacific military exercise People's Daily 11 Sep 2015 -- A New Zealand-led multi-national task group, including troops from China for the first time, has begun work on refurbishing essential public infrastructure in the Cook Islands, the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) said Friday.
- PLA begins military drills in Taiwan straits People's Daily 11 Sep 2015 -- A warning for shipping has been issued in the southern part of the Taiwan Straits.
- China Reveals Fourth-Generation Combat Stealth Helicopter in Development Sputnik 11 Sep 2015 -- Aviation Industry Corp of China (AVIC) has confirmed it has started the development of a fourth-generation attack helicopter with "stealth capability"; it will "feature supreme maneuverability in complicated environments, outstanding survivability and joint operational ability" and is set to enter the service by 2020.
- China, Russia to co-develop heavy-lift helicopter in 2016 People's Daily 10 Sep 2015 -- China and Russia are close to finalizing an agreement to jointly develop a heavy-lift helicopter next year, according to senior Chinese helicopter designers.
- Military chopper gets go-ahead for export People's Daily 10 Sep 2015 -- For nations hoping to buy China's advanced weapons on display in the Sept 3 V-Day parade, here's some good news-China is ready to export one of its top military helicopters.
- PLA to clear mines along China-Vietnam border People's Daily 10 Sep 2015 -- A demining mission along the China-Vietnam border has been approved by the State Council and the Central Military Commission.
- Russia, China Developing the World's First Drone-Carrying Missile Sputnik 09 Sep 2015 -- A multiple rocket launcher jointly being developed by Russia and China will feature the world's first ever missile capable of hauling a drone.
- China slashes restrictions on weapons research and production People's Daily 09 Sep 2015 -- Authorities in China on Tuesday released a new catalogue of weapons, slashing restrictions on the types of arms that private firms are required to get licenses to develop.
- US building spy network in Arctic to counter Russia, China Press TV 08 Sep 2015 -- US intelligence agencies plan to research potential threats in the Arctic for the first time since the Cold War.
- China relaxes restrictions on weaponry research, production People's Daily 08 Sep 2015 -- China has liberalized the market for research and production of weaponry by slashing restrictions on the types of arms that private firms are allowed to develop without licenses.
- Japan "being ridiculous" in V-Day parade complaints Xinhua 07 Sep 2015 -- China's Foreign Ministry spokesperson on Monday urged Japan "to stop being ridiculous" over its complaints about UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon attending last week's World War II commemorative events in Beijing.
- China rejects Philippines' comments on V-Day celebration People's Daily 07 Sep 2015 -- China on Monday rejected comments by the Philippines about its V-Day celebrations and reaffirmed its commitment to world peace.
- Sino-Russian Cooperation Helps Advance China’s Naval Power Sputnik 07 Sep 2015 -- Russian military technology has considerably added to the development of the People’s Liberation Army Navy’s surface warfare capabilities.
- Over 20 J-15 fighters can land on the Liaoning aircraft carrier People's Daily 07 Sep 2015 -- China's aircraft carrier the Liaoning can carry at least 20 fixed-wing carrier-based J-15 fighter jets and the ratio between the pilots and planes is about 1.5:1.
- China's military committed to reform People's Daily 06 Sep 2015 -- The overhaul of the military has reached a point of no return as measures to shake up structure, revise attitudes and adjust interests are already set in motion.
- China Voice: Troop cuts signal path of peaceful development People's Daily 05 Sep 2015 -- The announcement by President Xi Jinping to cut China's troops by 300,000 ahead of an epic V-Day parade on proves the nation's resolve to sticking to the path of peaceful development.
- China holds epic V-Day parade People's Daily 04 Sep 2015 -- Thousands of Chinese troops, along with their counterparts from 17 countries, marched past Tian'anmen Square.
- Analysts: Beijing Parade a 'Bazaar' of Stolen Technology VOA 04 Sep 2015 -- Weapons experts say the systems on display showed hallmarks of China’s reputation for stealing technology and adapting it to its requirements.
- New missiles meant for defensive purposes only People's Daily 04 Sep 2015 -- China unveiled at the parade the latest-developed weaponry, including missiles dubbed the "carrier killer" and "Guam killer" missiles.
- China says to finish military cuts by 2017 People's Daily 04 Sep 2015 -- China announced it will cut the number of its standing troops by 300,000 by the end of 2017.
- China Building Two Aircraft Carriers, According to Taiwanese Intelligence Sputnik 04 Sep 2015 -- China is building two aircraft carriers, according to a new report by the Taiwanese Defense Ministry.
- Pentagon Remains Suspicious as Chinese Ships Depart After Drills Off Alaska Sputnik 04 Sep 2015 -- After the US sounded the alarm over the presence of Chinese warships near the coast of Alaska, the terrifying "threat" appears to have passed.
- Philippines Still Leery of China Despite Peace Promises VOA 04 Sep 2015 -- This week China's President Xi Jinping pledged that the country will "never seek hegemony or expansion."
- Missile display demonstrates China's strategic ambitions: experts CNA 03 Sep 2015 -- The various ballistic missiles displayed by China at a massive military parade fully demonstrated Beijing's strategic ambitions.
- Taiwan to closely monitor China's military development CNA 03 Sep 2015 -- The Ministry of National Defense said that it will continue to closely follow the development of China's military might.
- S. Korean President Uses China Trip for Diplomacy VOA 03 Sep 2015 -- South Korea, China and Japan Thursday announced plans to hold a trilateral meeting in October or November, in what could be a diplomatic breakthrough following months of tension.
- China to downsize army by 300, 000 soldiers: President Xi Press TV 03 Sep 2015 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping says his country plans to reduce the size of the army by 300,000 troops.
- Chinese Navy Ships Spotted Off Alaska During Obama Visit VOA 03 Sep 2015 -- Five Chinese Navy ships have been spotted in international waters off the coast of Alaska.
- Chinese Warships Maneuver Near Alaska Coast for First Time Ever Sputnik 03 Sep 2015 -- In a reported first, Pentagon officials on Wednesday reported that five Chinese Navy ships were spotted off the coast of Alaska.
- China Showcases Military Strength at WWII Parade VOA 02 Sep 2015 -- President Xi Jinping announced he plans to cut the world’s largest military force by 300,000 - by more than 10 percent.
- S. Korea, China Vow to Denuclearize Korean Peninsula VOA 02 Sep 2015 -- Reaffirming their commitment to the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula, South Korean President Park Geun-hye and Chinese President Xi Jinping are calling for a quick resumption of the six-party talks about the issue.
- Putin Says Sanctions Have Spurred Russian Shift To China RFE/RL 02 Sep 2015 -- In an interview ahead of a two-day trip to Beijing, Russian President Vladimir Putin said the sanctions imposed on Russia by the West have helped spur a shift to China for Russian businesses.
- New U.S. Sanctions Against Russian, Chinese Companies For Missile, Technology Transfers RFE/RL 02 Sep 2015 -- The United States has levied new sanctions against a host of major Russian, Chinese and other companies.
- Russia, China Will Create Heavy-Lift Helicopter From Scratch Sputnik 02 Sep 2015 -- Russia and China will jointly create a brand new heavy-lift helicopter.
- Beijing Readies for Massive WWII Military Parade VOA 02 Sep 2015 -- China is making final preparations for a high-profile military parade in Beijing to mark the defeat of Japanese forces at the end of World War II.
- China's Xi Slams Japanese Invaders on Eve of Huge WWII Parade Sputnik 02 Sep 2015 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday said the Japanese who invaded China during World War II acted like barbarians who tried to slaughter the people into surrender.
- Pakistani President Describes Pakistan-China As 'Iron Brothers' RFE/RL 02 Sep 2015 -- Pakistani President Mamnoon Hussain has described Pakistan and China as “iron brothers” during a meeting with his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping.
- US Demands Release of 2 Detained Chinese Lawyers VOA 02 Sep 2015 -- The United States has called for the release of Chinese lawyer Zhang Kai and a group of religious figures, including Christian pastors, accused of threatening public order and national security.
- Former PLA officer gets four years for setting up spy ring CNA 01 Sep 2015 -- A former People's Liberation Army (PLA) officer was given a prison term of four years for violation of the National Security Act Tuesday.
- Report: U.S. May Sanction Russia, China For Recent Cyber Attacks RFE/RL 01 Sep 2015 -- The United States is considering imposing sanctions against both Russian and Chinese individuals and companies for cyber attacks against U.S. targets.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list