Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2015 - China Special Weapons News
- US Accuses China of 'Creating a Great Wall of Sand' Sputnik 31 Mar 2015 -- some of them submerged – and paving over them with concrete,' he said. In total, Harris said that China had converted over 4 square kilometers of sea into land.
- China holds first air force drill in western Pacific Ocean Press TV 31 Mar 2015 -- China says its air force has carried out a military maneuver for the first time over the western Pacific Ocean.
- China, Britain to strengthen military ties People's Daily 30 Mar 2015 -- China and Britain pledged to strengthen bilateral military ties, as vice chairman of China's Central Military Commission (CMC) Xu Qiliang and visiting British chief of the defence staff Nicolas Houghton met in Beijing on Monday.
- Chinese Army Gets Brand New Early Warning and Control Aircraft Sputnik 30 Mar 2015 -- Capable of tracking nearly 100 vehicles at once, the Chinese military has launched its new airborne early warning and control aircraft (AEW&C), taking to the skies with the People's Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF).
- Warship arrives to evacuate Chinese nationals from Yemen People's Daily 30 Mar 2015 -- China has sent a naval fleet to help evacuate Chinese diplomats, medical staff and technicians from conflict-ridden Yemen as the situation continues to get worse, the Ministry of National Defense announced on Monday.
- China air force completes drill in west Pacific People's Daily 30 Mar 2015 -- The People's Liberation Army (PLA) Air Force completed a military drill for the first time in the airspace above the west Pacific Ocean on Monday, a military spokesperson said.
- China Focus: Anti-graft 'Sky Net' frightens fugitive officials People's Daily 30 Mar 2015 -- The new anti-graft 'Sky Net' campaign helped return two suspects back to China on Saturday.
- Countries rushing to join AIIB People's Daily 30 Mar 2015 -- Countries are rushing to join the new Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank as the application deadline draws near, but the United States remains conspicuously absent.
- China eyes more maritime cooperation with ASEAN People's Daily 29 Mar 2015 -- China hopes all-round maritime cooperation with the ASEAN will become a model for building the 21st Century Maritime Silk Road, Chines State Councilor Yang Jiechi said here on Saturday.
- China welcomes Denmark, Australia to AIIB People's Daily 29 Mar 2015 -- China's Ministry of Finance on Sunday welcomed the decisions of Denmark and Australia to apply to join the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB).
- New Chinese Bank Becomes Major Headache For U.S. RFE/RL 29 Mar 2015 -- Another day, it seems, brings another new member to China's latest big international initiative: a new development bank for Asia. Russia became the latest country to announce it would join the China-led Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), to be based in Beijing.
- China urges the Philippines to withdraw from illegally occupied Nansha Islands People's Daily 28 Mar 2015 -- The Philippines was told Friday to withdraw from China's islands in the South China Sea and to stop infringing on China's sovereignty and maritime rights.
- PLA makes buying easier with internal online mall People's Daily 27 Mar 2015 -- The People's Liberation Army is setting up an internal online mall to buy equipment and other necessities for its units.
- PLA bribery probe to continue People's Daily 27 Mar 2015 -- Investigations into suspects who had connections with Xu Caihou - the former No 2 military official who died of cancer this month while facing a corruption probe - will continue to the end, a Chinese Defense Ministry spokesman said on Thursday.
- Sky Net: China's overseas anti-corruption campaign 2.0 People's Daily 27 Mar 2015 -- According to a Chinese saying, the guilty can never escape the net of heaven's justice. The proverb is behind the name of China's latest anti-corruption campaign, 'Sky Net,' launched this week.
- U.S., China in regular engagement on anti-corruption cooperation: State Department People's Daily 26 Mar 2015 -- The United States and China are having regular engagement on law enforcement cooperation, including on China's ongoing hunt for fugitive corrupt officials in the United States, the State Department said Wednesday.
- PLA builds military 'Taobao' People's Daily 26 Mar 2015 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army is building a military-version of Taobao, China's largest online shopping website, in an effort to cut costs and improve efficiency in procurement.
- China, U.S. work to clear legal hurdles People's Daily 25 Mar 2015 -- China will strengthen cooperation with the United States on major legal cases aimed at repatriating corrupt Chinese officials hiding there as well as confiscating their ill-gotten assets, a senior official of the Supreme People's Procuratorate said.
- China arrests spy suspect People's Daily 24 Mar 2015 -- Chinese authorities have arrested a taxi driver they accuse of selling military secrets to foreign spies.
- China reiterates openness of AIIB after shift in U.S. attitude People's Daily 23 Mar 2015 -- China upholds an open and inclusive attitude in the building and operation of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), a Foreign Ministry spokesperson said on Monday.
- Beijing's Ongoing Corruption Probe Casts Wide Net VOA 23 Mar 2015 -- China's anti-corruption crackdown, led by President Xi Jinping, continues to reach into the upper ranks of China's state-owned enterprises, politics and the military.
- China rebukes U.S. official over maritime patrol proposal People's Daily 20 Mar 2015 -- China on Friday rebuked a U.S. navy officer over his suggestions that the Southeast Asian nations should jointly build a maritime force to patrol areas of contested sovereignty in the South China Sea and that his fleet would provide support.
- PLA organizes open bidding for military weaponry procurement People's Daily 20 Mar 2015 -- The People's Liberation Army (PLA) carried out an open bidding on Thursday for the purchase of 35 pieces of equipment in Shijiazhuang, capital city of Hebei Province, military sources said.
- State Council nod for nuclear merger soon People's Daily 20 Mar 2015 -- The State Council is likely to give its green light for the merger of China's two nuclear giants soon, a move that could lead to sector consolidation and spur more overseas ventures, industry sources said on Thursday.
- Senators McCain, Reed, Corker, and Menendez Send Letter on Chinese Maritime Strategy Senate Committee on Armed Services 19 Mar 2015 -- Senators John McCain (R-Ariz.), Jack Reed (D-R.I.), Bob Corker (R-Tenn.), and Bob Menendez (D-N.J.) today sent a letter to Secretary of Defense Ash Carter and Secretary of State John Kerry concerning Chinese maritime strategy and the alarming scope and pace of land reclamation now being conducted by the People’s Republic of China in the South China Sea.
- Missile sale to Turkey confirmed People's Daily 19 Mar 2015 -- China confirmed an agreement to sell the HQ-9 air defense missile system to Turkey on Tuesday, during the Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace exhibition in Malaysia.
- Spotlight: No need to make a fuss about China's arms exports People's Daily 18 Mar 2015 -- Following the United States and Russia, the world's two largest arms exporter, with a big margin, China has been ranked third by a Stockholm-based research institute.
- Chinese naval fleet returns from Somali waters People's Daily 19 Mar 2015 -- After more than seven months at sea, covering more than 110,000 nautical miles, a Chinese fleet wrapped up its escort mission on Thursday.
- China's arms exports doesn't violate rules People's Daily 19 Mar 2015 -- Some countries have created an uproar over China's arms trade following the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute's report on global arms sales because they have ulterior motives.
- The new US maritime strategy shows its two sides to China People's Daily 19 Mar 2015 -- On March 13, the U.S. Navy, U.S. Coast Guard, and U.S. Marine Corps released a revised maritime strategy entitled "A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower". The document was published in seven languages, including a simplified Chinese version.
- China Voice: China-proposed AIIB is a gift to world People's Daily 19 Mar 2015 -- As countries continue filing applications to join the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), the eagerness for participation indicates an unmet niche for such a service.
- More EU members to join China-led AIIB bank People's Daily 19 Mar 2015 -- The president of the European Parliament, Martin Schulz, on Tuesday welcomed the planned participation of a number of EU nations in Asia Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB).
- Joint probe crucial to ease tension at Myanmar border People's Daily 18 Mar 2015 -- A joint investigation has been launched into a bombing incident by a Myanmese warplane which killed five Chinese civilians and injured eight in China's Southwest Yunnan Province last Friday, according to Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei on Monday.
- Troops stationed on China-Myanmar border after bombing incident People's Daily 18 Mar 2015 -- According to Sina Weibo account "guo gan zui xin zhan kuang(which means "latest actions in Kokang" in English)", the Chinese army and air force dispatched missile units and fighter jets to Lincang, a city situated on the border, on Sunday.
- China to send over 40 spacecraft in 20 launches in 2015 People's Daily 18 Mar 2015 -- Chinese space authorities have announced plans to launch more than 40 different spacecraft into orbit this year.
- Chinese army strengthens corruption clean-up in staff housing People's Daily 18 Mar 2015 -- The army must guarantee the welfare and interests of officers and soldiers while cleaning up corruption in staff housing projects, said Central Military Commission vice chairman Fan Changlong on Tuesday.
- Chinese FM discusses Myanmar in border province after bombing People's Daily 17 Mar 2015 -- Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi was in Yunnan province, which borders the conflict-hit Myanmar, on Monday to discuss with officials plans to protect the life and property safety of local Chinese, a Foreign Ministry spokesman said Tuesday.
- China The World's No. 3 Arms Exporter After U.S., Russia RFE/RL 16 Mar 2015 -- China has surpassed Germany and France to become the third-largest arms exporter in the world after the United States and Russia.
- PLA anti-corruption campaign shows determination to combat issue People's Daily 16 Mar 2015 -- China's fight against military corruption has been brought into sharp focus nationwide. The probes into 14 senior military officers suspected of corruption, including Guo Zhenggang, deputy political commissar of the Zhejiang Military Area Command, demonstrated not only the significant achievements of the anti-graft campaign in the PLA, but also the fact that this battle against graft will continue.
- Xu Caihou received adequate medical care: military procuratorate People's Daily 16 Mar 2015 -- China's military procuratorate on Monday said Xu Caihou, former vice chairman of the Central Military Commission (CMC), received adequate medical attention before his death from bladder cancer on Sunday.
- U.S. leads upward trend in global arms exports: research institute People's Daily 16 Mar 2015 -- The United States has taken a firm lead as the major arms exporter globally, according to a report released on Monday by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI).
- Nation 'well-armed' to keep growth on track People's Daily 16 Mar 2015 -- Premier Li Keqiang said on Sunday that China has many weapons to fight difficulties in its economy and will be able to maintain its growth momentum. He did not say specifically how China will achieve its annual GDP growth target, but said he will not allow the slowdown to continue from last year and derail the plan for increases in employment and incomes.
- 'Four Comprehensives' a road to prosperity People's Daily 16 Mar 2015 -- Top leader Xi Jinping's strategy for governing China and charting its development is known as the 'Four Comprehensives', which comprise comprehensively building an overall moderately well-off society, comprehensively deepening reform, comprehensively governing the country in accordance with the law, and comprehensively supervising the Communist Party of China.
- China: Action to be taken if deadly bombing happens again People's Daily 15 Mar 2015 -- No further deadly stray fire incidents should happen or the Chinese military will take 'firm and decisive action' to protect the safety of its people, senior Chinese military leader Fan Changlong said on Saturday.
- China concludes annual parliamentary session, promoting rule of law People's Daily 16 Mar 2015 -- The National People's Congress (NPC), China's parliamentary body, concluded its annual session Sunday morning.
- Xu Caihou dies of bladder cancer People's Daily 16 Mar 2015 -- Xu Caihou, former vice chairman of China's Central Military Commission, died of bladder cancer on Sunday.
- Chinese fighter jets patrol China-Myanmar border after bombing People's Daily 14 Mar 2015 -- China's Air Force sent fighter jets to patrol over the China-Myanmar border after four Chinese were killed by a bomb dropped by a Myanmar warplane in southwestern Yunnan Province, a military spokesman said Saturday.
- China dispatches fighter jets to Myanmar border Press TV 14 Mar 2015 -- China has dispatched fighter jets to the border with Myanmar after a Burmese warplane reportedly dropped a bomb on Chinese territory, killing four civilians and injuring nine others.
- Myanmar Troops Shell Hills Near China Border VOA 13 Mar 2015 -- Chinese troops are on high alert after Myanmar forces shelled the hills along the countries shared border, killing four people and leaving several others injured.
- Top political advisor highlights CPC leadership, 'Four Comprehensives' People's Daily 13 Mar 2015 -- Chinese top political advisor Yu Zhengsheng on Friday underscored the leadership of the Communist Party of China (CPC) in the work of the political advisory body, while urging political advisors to pool 'positive energy' to contribute to the country's development.
- Runaway officials to be tried in absentia People's Daily 13 Mar 2015 -- China's top judicial authorities have stepped up efforts to hunt down suspected corrupt officials who have fled overseas and will lay the groundwork to have these suspects tried in absentia to retrieve the assets they have hidden.
- China building second aircraft carrier: Official Press TV 13 Mar 2015 -- China is building a second aircraft carrier in a move to boost Beijing's maritime power, a media report says.
- China plans to launch Chang'e-4 before 2020 People's Daily 12 Mar 2015 -- China will launch its Chang'e-4 lunar probe before 2020, the State Administration of Science, Technology and Industry for National Defense (SASTIND) said Thursday.
- Interview: New milestone set for military cooperation with China: S. Korean vice defense chief People's Daily 12 Mar 2015 -- South Korea is expected to return to China later this week another 68 more remains of Chinese soldiers in the 1950-53 Korean War, a fresh move that South Korean Vice Defense Minister Baek Seung-joo sees will serve as 'new milestone for military cooperation between the two countries.
- China's Xi calls for closer civil-military integration to boost army combativeness People's Daily 12 Mar 2015 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Thursday called to strengthen China's national defense and the combativeness of its armed forces, by greater civil-military integration.
- Is China Quietly Continuing Its Massive Economic Stimulus? VOA 11 Mar 2015 -- Over the past year Chinese officials have embraced lower economic growth forecasts, saying they are winding down the huge government spending that fueled the country's rapid economic growth in recent decades.
- Airman helps strengthen bond between US, China AFNS 11 Mar 2015 -- An Airman assigned to the 15th Operations Support Squadron here, is tapping into a unique set of skills to support the U.S. Pacific Command's priority of strengthening its foreign partnerships.
- China urges ASEAN secretary-general to stay neutral on South China Sea issue People's Daily 11 Mar 2015 -- China on Wednesday refuted ASEAN Secretary-General Le Luong Minh's recent accusation that China had complicated the situation in the South China Sea, saying the comments departed from the neutral role that the ASEAN Secretariat should play.
- IS recruits Xinjiang residents People's Daily 11 Mar 2015 -- A top official from the Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region confirmed for the first time on Tuesday that Xinjiang residents have joined the radical group Islamic State.
- China now No. 3 defense importer People's Daily 11 Mar 2015 -- The Chinese mainland was the world's third-largest defense importer in 2014, according to a report by global consultancy IHS.
- Domestic jet 'to make maiden flight later this year' People's Daily 11 Mar 2015 -- The COMACC919, China's homegrown passenger jet, will make its maiden test flight before the end of the year, according to a senior official, who said assembly of the first prototype is progressing well.
- General: Make military more transparent People's Daily 11 Mar 2015 -- The military should be more open to the public by releasing appropriate navy and air force equipment information in a timely manner and setting regular military open days, a political adviser and senior officer suggested.
- Chinese Military Weighs In on Second Carrier Rumors Sputnik 11 Mar 2015 -- A Chinese Ministry of Defense publication slammed the idea of Chinese naval hegemony as rumors about the construction of a second aircraft carrier have leaked to Taiwanese and American websites.
- China Warns Xinjiang Extremists Fighting for IS, Returning Home VOA 10 Mar 2015 -- The top Communist Party leader in China's remote and restive region of Xinjiang said he believes religious extremists have left the country to join Islamic State militants overseas, and then returned home.
- FM tackles China's diplomacy focus in 2015 People's Daily 09 Mar 2015 -- 'The keyword for China's diplomacy in 2015 will be one focus and two main themes,' China's Foreign Minister Wang Yi said at a press conference on the sideline of the annual session of the 12th National People's Congress in Beijing.
- Fears of military spending unjustified as China fights corruption in PLA People's Daily 09 Mar 2015 -- China announced Thursday that it will raise its military budget by 10.1 percent to 886.9 billion yuan ($144.2 billion) in 2015. This figure has drawn ire from some Western countries and media who entertain imaginary fears of a 'fresh double-digit spending boost' immediately after it was released in a budget report.
- China Defends Island Construction in South China Sea VOA 08 Mar 2015 -- China's Foreign Minister Wang Yi said his country has every right to carry out construction and develop land around disputed islands and reefs in the South China Sea.
- China says island, reef construction in South China Sea lawful, justified People's Daily 08 Mar 2015 -- China's construction on its own islands and reefs in the South China Sea is lawful and justified, as China is merely building facilities in its own yard, Foreign Minister Wang Yi said Sunday.
- Beijing's Island Construction in South China Sea Poses No Threat - Minister Sputnik 08 Mar 2015 -- China's recently intensified construction works on the reefs it controls in the South China Sea's disputed Spratly Island, are lawful and pose no threat to any other countries, China's Foreign Minister Wang Yi said Sunday.
- China cherishes traditional friendship with DPRK: FM People's Daily 08 Mar 2015 -- China cherishes its traditional friendship with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) and calls for calm and restraint on the Korean Peninsula, Foreign Minister Wang Yi said Sunday.
- China eyes on wider, tighter int'l anti-corruption network People's Daily 08 Mar 2015 -- China will work with other countries to build a wider and tighter net of international anti-corruption cooperation, Foreign Minister Wang Yi said Sunday.
- Use a telescope to look ahead to future Sino-US ties: FM People's Daily 08 Mar 2015 -- President Xi Jinping's upcoming state visit to the US, scheduled for autumn this year, will infuse momentum into the new model of major-country relations between the two countries, China's Foreign Minister Wang Yi said on Sunday at a press conference.
- Japan, China Lock Horns Over Disputed Islands Sputnik 07 Mar 2015 -- Fighter pilots stationed at the nearest Japanese base to a chain of islands both Tokyo and Beijing have claimed as their own, are on a round-the-clock stand-by to chase and warn off Chinese military planes entering Japanese airspace.
- China plans to launch space station in 2018 People's Daily 05 Mar 2015 -- China is planning to launch its space station in 2018 and complete the project by 2022, Zhang Bonan, chief designer of China's manned spacecraft system, told China News Service on Wednesday.
- Defense spending 'appropriate and rational': Chinese military strategist People's Daily 05 Mar 2015 -- Following the announcement of the defense budget for 2015, a military strategist and national lawmaker said increased spending was needed to build a stronger army, but China's budget remained comparatively low.
- Military Budget Growth Rate Shows Defense Remains Priority for China Sputnik 05 Mar 2015 -- Despite a certain slowdown in the rate of growth of China's military budget in 2015, national defense policy still remains a priority for Beijing, Mathieu Duchatel, a researcher with Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), told Sputnik on Thursday
- Kokang rebels urge China mediation to end clashes with Myanmar soldiers Press TV 04 Mar 2015 -- Myanmar's ethnic Kokang rebels have called on China to mediate in peace negotiations with the government after weeks of deadly clashes.
- China denies Cuba-bound ship violated laws Press TV 04 Mar 2015 -- Beijing has rejected accusations by a Colombian prosecutor that one of China's freighters had been trafficking weapons, saying the cargo ship was carrying 'ordinary military supplies' to Cuba.
- China to raise defense budget by around 10 pct People's Daily 04 Mar 2015 -- China will raise its defense budget by around 10 percent this year, compared with last year's 12.2 percent, a spokeswoman for the annual session of the country's top legislature said Wednesday.
- China's defense budget growth rate drops to around 10 pct People's Daily 04 Mar 2015 -- China will raise its defense budget by around 10 percent this year, compared with last year's 12.2 percent, a spokeswoman for the annual session of the country's top legislature said Wednesday.
- Active release of military 'tigers' makes PLA more trustworthy People's Daily 04 Mar 2015 -- The Chinese military authority released a new list of 14 senior military officers at 17:00 on March 2, 2015 who had been investigated or convicted.
- CPPCC work report stresses anti-graft People's Daily 04 Mar 2015 -- The chairman of China's top political advisory body on Tuesday called for unwavering efforts to crack down on corruption, with analysts believing that the remarks send a positive signal of more active participation in the nation's sweeping anti-graft campaign.
- 39 national lawmakers dismissed in two years: spokeswoman People's Daily 04 Mar 2015 -- A total of 39 members of China's national legislature were stripped of the lawmaker status in the past two years, a spokesperson for the legislature said here Wednesday.
- China Focus: Top political advisory body to discuss reform People's Daily 04 Mar 2015 -- Unfazed by downward pressure on economy, China's top political advisor Yu Zhengsheng pledged Tuesday further efforts to help advance reforms at the start of the most important two weeks on China's political calendar this year.
- China's defense spending to grow 10 percent in 2015: Official Press TV 04 Mar 2015 -- China's defense budget will grow to around USD 145 billion in 2015, registering a rise of about 10 percent in comparison with 2014.
- China to Boost Military Budget by 10 Percent VOA 04 Mar 2015 -- China's defense spending will increase by 10 percent this year, the latest double-digit increase for the world's largest standing military.
- Xi stresses cross-Strait peaceful development, urges vigilance against Taiwan independence People's Daily 04 Mar 2015 -- Chinese President Xi Jinpingon Wednesday stressed the peaceful development of the cross-Strait ties, urging high vigilance against the Taiwan independence.
- China Seeks to Calm Tech Firm Fears Over Anti-Terrorism Law VOA 04 Mar 2015 -- China has responded to criticisms raised by U.S. President Barack Obama about regulations that could impact high-tech firms. The spokeswoman for China's top legislative body says that companies doing business here have nothing to fear from a new anti-terror law that is under review.
- Military launches blitz against corruption People's Daily 03 Mar 2015 -- The release of a list of names of generals who have been investigated or convicted recently hints at what is to come from the People's Liberation Army's (PLA) countercorruption drive in 2015.
- China Voice: Catching 14 military 'tigers' People's Daily 03 Mar 2015 -- Moments after questions on whether China's ongoing countercorruption campaign would snatch 'bigger tigers' were aired by China's state broadcaster, the Chinese military authority released Monday a list of 14 generals that had been investigated or convicted recently.
- Chinese army investigates more generals People's Daily 03 Mar 2015 -- The Chinese military authority on Monday released a list of 14 generals who have been investigated or convicted in the recent days.
- China 'tigers, flies' hunt traps officials Iran Press TV 02 Mar 2015 -- The Chinese president's anti-graft campaign, known for prowling for corrupt political "tigers" and "flies," has entrapped seven military officials.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list