Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2013 - China Special Weapons News
- Japan, China Territorial Tensions Rising Over Unmanned Drones VOA 31 Oct 2013 -- The long-running territorial dispute between China and Japan over a remote group of islands is in the spotlight this week as the two countries conduct massive military exercises. Analysts warn the drills and China's increased use of drone aircraft in the region raise the risk of an unintended confrontation.
- Hou Shusen holds talks with commander-in-chief of Chilean Army People's Daily 31 Oct 2013 -- Gen. Hou Shusen, deputy chief of general staff of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA), held talks with Gen. Juan Miguel Fuente Alba, the visiting commander-in-chief of the Chilean Army, on the morning of October 29, 2013 at the Diaoyutai State Guest House in Beijing.
- Chinese, Russian officials pledge to lift bilateral military cooperation People's Daily 31 Oct 2013 -- Senior Chinese and Russian officials pledged here Wednesday to lift the level of bilateral military cooperation.
- China Defends Position on Tiananmen Attack VOA 31 Oct 2013 -- China is calling for a unified front against what it says is the country's fight against terrorism, following Monday's incident in Tiananmen Square that killed five people. After rounding up five suspects linked to the alleged attack, China says it was a pre-mediated and carefully organized act of terrorism.
- Chinese DM: Stop seeing China's arms sales through 'colored glasses' People's Daily 31 Oct 2013 -- The Chinese Defense Ministry on Thursday urges 'some people' to stop looking at China's arms sales through 'colored glasses.'
- Expert: Chinese offensive nuclear submarines can globally track and attack aircraft-carrier formations People's Daily 31 Oct 2013 -- There have been several recent media reports on China's first nuclear submarine detachment.
- Expert: China's nuclear submarine deployment has nothing to do with Japanese military exercise People's Daily 31 Oct 2013
- Chinese aircraft carrier may conduct open sea exercises People's Daily 31 Oct 2013 -- On 23rd October, the Chinese aircraft carrier Liaoning set sail on a voyage to conduct further scientific research, experiments, and drills.
- Two Chinese taskforces conduct drill in West Pacific People's Daily 31 Oct 2013 -- The naval taskforce of the North China Sea Fleet under the Navy of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLAN), which has concluded its visits to three countries of the U.S., Australia and New Zealand, held a nighttime actual-troop confrontation drill in the waters of the West Pacific Ocean on the night of October 28, 2013 with the other naval taskforce of the North China Sea Fleet, which had participated in the 'Maneuver - 5' exercise of the PLAN.
- China demands US explanation on spying charges Iran Press TV 31 Oct 2013 -- China has demanded explanation from the US after a report revealed that Australian embassies, including the one in Beijing, have been used in Washington's spying operations.
- Indonesia, China Press US on Spying Allegations VOA 31 Oct 2013 -- As the U.S. government faces continued pressure to explain its international spying operations, new allegations have emerged about the extent of U.S. surveillance in Asia.
- Fan Changlong meets with Pakistani chief of army staff People's Daily 30 Oct 2013 -- Fan Changlong, vice chairman of the Central Military Commission (CMC) of the People's Republic of China (PRC), met with Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, the visiting chief of Army Staff of Pakistan, in Beijing on the afternoon of October 28, 2013.
- China Patriotism Campaign Backfires in Tibet VOA 30 Oct 2013 -- A Chinese government campaign to build patriotism in Tibet appears to have backfired, leading to protests, mass shootings and detentions in a restive area 560 kilometers northeast of Lhasa.
- China Arrests 5 for Tiananmen 'Terror Attack' VOA 30 Oct 2013 -- Chinese authorities say terrorists were responsible for carrying out an attack Monday in China's Tiananmen Square that left five dead and injured 40.
- China decommissions 1st nuclear submarine People's Daily 30 Oct 2013 -- China has decommissioned its first nuclear-powered submarine after more than 40 years of service in the military, the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Daily reported Tuesday.
- China's first nuclear submarine to be decommissioned People's Daily 30 Oct 2013 -- The first nuclear submarine of the Navy of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLAN) to be decommissioned berthed quietly at a naval dock.
- Chinese Officials Suspect Xinjiang Link to Beijing 'Attack' VOA 29 Oct 2013 -- Reports from Beijing say Chinese authorities believe a car crash that killed five people Monday in Beijing's Tiananmen Square was a deliberate act by people from the troubled region of Xinjiang.
- China Suspects Tiananmen Vehicle Fire was a Suicide Attack VOA 29 Oct 2013 -- The Chinese government suspects that Monday's incident in which a vehicle ploughed into pedestrians in Beijing's Tiananmen Square, killing five including the three people in the vehicle, was a suicide attack.
- China threatens peace in islands dispute: Japan Defense Min. Iran Press TV 29 Oct 2013 -- Japan Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera says China is jeopardizing peace by sending its forces to the disputed islands in the East China Sea, amid the heightened tensions between Beijing and Tokyo over the islands.
- 'Maneuver 5' exercise enters stage of actual-troop confrontation People's Daily 29 Oct 2013 -- The exercise codenamed 'Maneuver 5' of the Navy of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLAN) entered the stage of actual-troop confrontation according to an order from the Directing Department of the exercise at 08:00 on October 25, 2013.
- China strengthens military inspections targeting corruption People's Daily 29 Oct 2013 -- China's Central Military Commission (CMC) on Tuesday issued documents ordering strengthened military inspections in order to unearth corruption and irregularities.
- China Intensifies Press on Japan in East China Sea Dispute VOA 28 Oct 2013 -- China is stepping up pressure on Japan in a long-running maritime dispute, deploying Chinese vessels near contested East China Sea islands and accusing Japanese leaders of making provocative statements.
- China sends four vessels to disputed islands Iran Press TV 28 Oct 2013 -- China sends four coastguard vessels to waters around a chain of disputed islands in the East China Sea as a territorial dispute between Beijing and Tokyo carries on.
- China displays nuclear subs in message to U.S.: scholars CNA 28 Oct 2013 -- A display of China's first nuclear submarine fleet in state-run media was a show of force targeted mainly at the United States, experts in Taiwan said Monday.
- Chinese naval drill continues despite disturbance People's Daily 28 Oct 2013 -- Flotillas attached to the Beihai, Donghai and Nanhai Fleets proceeded with exercises in the west Pacific on Sunday despite foreign disturbance, according to the People's Liberation Army.
- China warns Japan over 'provocation' Iran Press TV 27 Oct 2013 -- China says it will launch a 'resolute' counterattack if Japan takes 'willful measures' to shoot down Chinese planes.
- Two cross-strait pacts progressing simultaneously: Chinese official CNA 27 Oct 2013 -- Taiwan's stalled legislative review of a controversial trade in services pact with China is not expected to affect the progress of a trade in goods agreement that two sides plan to sign later, a top Chinese official in charge of cross-strait affairs said Sunday.
- Medvedev Says 'Fast-Growing' China Poses No Danger to Russia RIA Novosti 26 Oct 2013 -- Russia has nothing to fear from the fast-growing China, but could benefit from this cooperation, Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said in a televised interview Saturday.
- Chinese drone training in line with international law, practice People's Daily 26 Oct 2013 -- China said that the training and flight of its military aircraft, including drones, over relevant areas of the East China Sea are in line with international law and practice.
- Chinese naval combat drill underway People's Daily 25 Oct 2013 -- Flotillas attached to the Beihai, Donghai and Nanhai Fleets started a confrontation drill in the west Pacific on Friday, according to the People's Liberation Army (PLA).
- President Ma outlines vision for Taiwan-U.S.-China ties CNA 25 Oct 2013 -- President Ma Ying-jeou has outlined his vision for expanding constructive relations with both China and the United States in an interview with the Washington Post.
- Taiwan has not sidestepped cross-strait political issues: Ma CNA 25 Oct 2013 -- President Ma Ying-jeou has said in an interview with an American newspaper that his administration has not deliberately avoided political talks with mainland China and has been willing to discuss any pressing issue.
- Chinese fleet heads for open sea drill People's Daily 24 Oct 2013 -- A vessel formation with China's Nanhai Fleet on Wednesday sailed across the Bashi Channel toward its destination in the West Pacific Ocean for a combat drill, according to sources with the People's Liberation Army.
- PLA in army civilian personnel drive People's Daily 20 Oct 2013 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) is to run its first unified recruitment of army civilian personnel from the public, a move to attract talents and improve employment transparency, announced a circular on Saturday.
- China Renews Pressure on Taiwan for Political Talks VOA 21 Oct 2013 -- China and Taiwan have shelved political hostilities for the past five years to reach a series of trade and investment deals, improving overall relations. Now, China's president has made a fresh bid for sensitive political talks with Taiwan. However, Taipei's politically weakened leadership may be unable to deliver.
- China remains Taiwan's enemy: defense minister CNA 21 Oct 2013 -- The relationship across the Taiwan Strait remains one between two adversaries, Minister of National Defense Yen Ming said Monday, adding that China poses the biggest security threat to Taiwan.
- First Chinese peacekeeping taskforce to Mali is ready People's Daily 18 Oct 2013 -- The first Chinese peacekeeping taskforce of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) to Mali is fully prepared in personnel, equipment, materials and so on, as reporter learned from the Peacekeeping Affairs Office under the Ministry of National Defense (MND) of the People's Republic of China (PRC)on October 16, 2013.
- Chinese aircraft carrier should narrow the gap with its U.S. counterpart People's Daily 18 Oct 2013 -- The U.S. Navy's latest nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, the 'Ford', will be deployed in 2015.
- China, Australia vow to strengthen military tie People's Daily 18 Oct 2013 -- Stuart Robert, assistant minister for defense of Australia, met with Zhao Keshi, member of the Central Military Commission (CMC) of the People's Republic of China (PRC) and director of the General Logistics Department (GLD) of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA), who is currently visiting Australia, on the afternoon of October 15, 2013.
- Chinese naval ships sail through Strait of Magellan for first time People's Daily 17 Oct 2013 -- A taskforce of the Navy of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLAN) which is composed of the guided missile destroyer 'Lanzhou', the guided missile frigate 'Liuzhou' and comprehensive supply ship 'Poyang Lake' successfully sailed through the Strait of Magellan at 15:00 on October 14, 2013, local time. This is the first time for the PLAN to pass through this important international waterway.
- Chang Wanquan investigates in Xinjiang People's Daily 17 Oct 2013 -- Chang Wanquan, member of the Central Military Commission (CMC), state councilor and minister of national defense of the People's Republic of China (PRC), carried out investigation and study into frontier defense and national defense mobilization work in west China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region from October 9 to 15, 2013.
- PLA naval taskforce leaves New Zealand for China People's Daily 17 Oct 2013 -- The taskforce of the Navy of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLAN) composed of the guided missile destroyer 'Qingdao', the guided missile frigate 'Linyi' and the comprehensive supply ship 'Hongze Lake' started to sail back to China from Auckland, New Zealand, at 09:00, local time, on October 15 after concluding the 4-day goodwill visit to New Zealand.
- Fang Fenghui holds talks with commander-in-chief of Myanmar Armed Forces People's Daily 16 Oct 2013 -- Fang Fenghui, member of the Central Military Commission (CMC) of the People's Republic of China (PRC) and chief of general staff of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA), held talks with Min Aung Hlaing, the visiting commander-in-chief of the Myanmar Armed Forces, on the afternoon of October 14, 2013 in Beijing.
- China holds UN military observers international training course for first time People's Daily 16 Oct 2013 -- Beginning from October 14, 2013, dozens of military officers from 15 countries in the world would attend a three-week-long United Nations (UN) military observers training course, the first of its kind held in China, in the Peacekeeping Center of the Ministry of National Defense (MND) of the People's Republic of China (PRC) in Beijing.
- Training for PLA electromagnetic spectrum management troops held People's Daily 16 Oct 2013 -- The concentrated training for electromagnetic spectrum management troops of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) was held on October 11 and 12, 2013 in Chengdu, capital of southwest China's Sichuan province.
- China, Myanmar pledge to enhance military ties People's Daily 16 Oct 2013 -- China will work with Myanmar to further improve military ties and jointly safeguard border stability, a senior Chinese military officer said on Tuesday.
- Minister calls for better border defense in Xinjiang People's Daily 16 Oct 2013 -- Defense Minister Chang Wanquan has called for a strengthened border and national defense in northwest China's Xinjiang at the end of a week-long inspection tour in the region on Tuesday.
- Ex-ROC intelligence officer sentenced for working for PRC CNA 15 Oct 2013 -- The Taiwan High Court sentenced a former Republic of China military intelligence officer to eight years in prison for setting up an acquaintance for interrogations by mainland Chinese agents.
- China winning its spurs in international arms trade People's Daily 14 Oct 2013 -- Ismet Yilmaz, Turkey's Minister of National Defense, announced on September 26th that Turkey had chosen the HQ-9 air defense missile system of China as its next generation long-range air defense system.
- 'Mission Action 2013B' trans-MAC mobile campaign exercise kicks off People's Daily 14 Oct 2013 -- A trans-MAC mobile campaign exercise codenamed 'Mission Action 2013B' officially kicked off at 19:30 on October 11, 2013. It is another trans-MAC mobile campaign exercise following the 'Mission Action 2013A' organized by the Nanjing Military Area Command (MAC) of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) and the 'Mission Action 2013C' organized by the PLA Air Force.
- PLAN's taskforce conducts maritime joint exercise with Chilean Navy People's Daily 12 Oct 2013 -- A taskforce of the Navy of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLAN) which is composed of the guided missile destroyer 'Lanzhou' and the guided missile frigate 'Liuzhou' carried out a maritime joint exercise with the frigates 'Lynch' (FF-07) and 'Capitán Prat' (FFG-11), and five airplanes of the Chilean Navy on October 10, 2013.
- J-10 fighter not yet approved for export People's Daily 10 Oct 2013 -- As global attention has been drawn to when China's in-service top-grade home-made J-10 fighter aircraft enters the international market, Ma Zhiping, vice president of the China National Aero-Technology Import and Export Corporation (CATIC), disclosed recently that many countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America had already enquired about price of J-10.
- Concentrated training for leading officials of national defense mobilization and reserve force kicks off People's Daily 10 Oct 2013 -- The concentrated training for leading officials of national defense mobilization and reserve force kicked off on October 10, 2013 at the National Defense University (NDU) of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA).
- FM spokeswoman defends Turkey-China missile defence deal People's Daily 10 Oct 2013 -- Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying on Tuesday responded to NATO and U.S. concern over Turkey's decision to co-produce a missile defence system with a Chinese firm by describing such military trade between China and Turkey as normal.
- Chinese military-industrial enterprises get closer to NATO People's Daily 10 Oct 2013 -- Turkey's plan to purchase China's 'HQ-9' air-defense missile system is met with new resistance due to the interference made by NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen, who expressed concern on October 7 about the cooperation between Turkey and Chinese companies and requested Turkey to choose anti-missile system 'compatible' with NATO allies.
- China Offers Closer Ties at ASEAN Summit Skipped by Obama VOA 09 Oct 2013 -- China has offered to improve ties with Southeast Asia, using a regional summit to compete for influence with the United States, whose President Barack Obama was notable for his absence.
- Chinese court accepts ousted politician's appeal Iran Press TV 09 Oct 2013 -- A Chinese court has accepted to consider an appeal made by ousted high-profile politician Bo Xilai against his sentence to life imprisonment.
- China an increasing military threat to Taiwan: defense report CNA 08 Oct 2013 -- Taiwan's latest national defense report highlighted an increasing military threat from China, saying that China plans to boost its combat capabilities to a point where it can mount a full attack on Taiwan.
- China military preparing capability to control Taiwan by 2020: MND CNA 07 Oct 2013 -- China plans to enhance its combat capabilities to a level sufficient to mount a full attack against Taiwan by 2020, showing that its military threat to Taiwan has not diminished, the Ministry of National Defense (MND) has concluded in a report.
- China Shores Up Regional Deals as Obama Cancels Asia Trip VOA 04 Oct 2013 -- Obama’s planned four-nation tour was intended to strengthen America’s economic and military commitment to Southeast Asia.
- China ships enter disputed waters: Japan Coast Guard PressTV 02 Oct 2013 -- Japan's Coast Guard says four Chinese ships have sailed into the territorial waters off the disputed islands in the East China Sea.
- China Arrests Activist for Seeking Public Comment in Rights Report VOA 01 Oct 2013 -- Later this month, China's human rights record comes under United Nations scrutiny as part of the U.N.’s regular review of members' rights policies.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list