Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2009 - China Special Weapons News
- Father of China's Space Tech Program Dies at 98 VOA 31 Oct 2009 -- Chinese scientist Qian Xuesen, who is known as the father of China's space technology program, has died in Beijing.
- DoD News: Secretary Gates Hosts PRC Counterpart DoD 27 Oct 2009 -- Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates hosted Gen. Xu Caihou (corrected), vice chairman of the People's Liberation Army Central Military Commission for meetings today at the Pentagon
- Gates Asks Xu to Help Break 'On-Again, Off-Again' Cycle AFPS 27 Oct 2009 -- Breaking the cycle of "on-again, off-again" military-to-military relations between the United States and China is of primary importance to the two nations, Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates told his Chinese counterpart here today.
- Australia's Relations With China Cool Over Espionage, Terrorism Concerns VOA 22 Oct 2009 -- Business leaders are hopeful that Australia's fraught diplomatic ties with China.
- Russia, China draft Kalashnikov copyright deal RIA Novosti 22 Oct 2009 -- Russia is working to reach an agreement with China on copyright protection of Kalashnikov assault rifles.
- Gates, Willard Seek More Engagement With China AFPS 21 Oct 2009 -- Defense Secretary Gates: It’s in the United States’ long-term interest to engage more closely with China.
- New US Pacific Commander Concerned About North Korea, China VOA 21 Oct 2009 -- Commander of US forces in Asia and the Pacific and Indian Oceans: North Korea must be watched very closely.
- China warns its ships to steer clear of pirate danger zone RIA Novosti 21 Oct 2009 -- China's transport ministry has issued a warning for the country's ships to avoid area of the Indian Ocean.
- Anniversary of the Chinese bomb: the road to the nuclear club RIA Novosti 20 Oct 2009 -- On October 16, 1964, China conducted its first nuclear weapons test, codenamed "Experiment 596."
- China Protests Dalai Lama's Plans to Visit Arunachal Pradesh VOA 20 Oct 2009 -- China has protested the Dalai Lama's plans to visit a border area in India that both countries claim.
- China works for Mars and Moon missions RIA Novosti 19 Oct 2009 -- The launch of a Russian Phobos Grunt probe to Mars on October 16 has been delayed until 2011.
- Court sentences 6 to death over northwest China riots RIA Novosti 15 Oct 2009 -- A court in Urumqi sentenced six people to death over July's deadly riots in the city.
- China Hands Down More Death Sentences for Xinjiang Riots VOA 15 Oct 2009 -- China has sentenced six more people to death for murders committed during July riots in far northwestern Xinjiang region.
- Chinese court sentences 6 to death over Xinjiang riots RIA Novosti 12 Oct 2009 -- Court in China's northwestern Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region sentenced to death 6 convicted of violent crimes in July riots.
- Chinese Court Condemns 6 Ethnic Uighurs to Death for Xinjiang Riots VOA 12 Oct 2009 -- Chinese court has handed down death sentences to six men for their involvement in a riot in the far northwestern region of Xinjiang.
- Beijing warns U.S. lawmakers to stay out of China's internal affairs RIA Novosti 10 Oct 2009 -- China has cautioned U.S. legislators against intervening in China's domestic affairs, specifically in Tibet.
- Al-Qaida Leader Urges Uighurs to Launch Holy War Against China VOA 08 Oct 2009 -- Senior al-Qaida leader has called for a holy war against China in response to Chinese government's oppression of Uighurs in Xinjiang.
- China Reports 1st Swine Flu Death VOA 06 Oct 2009 -- China has reported its first death from the H1N1 influenza, commonly called swine flu.
- Indonesian Navy eyes Russian, Chinese missiles RIA Novosti 06 Oct 2009 -- The Indonesian Navy is planning to arm its new patrol boats with Russian and Chinese missiles.
- Message of Thanks to Kim Jong Il from Chinese Premier KCNA 06 Oct 2009 -- Message of thanks from Wen Jiabao, premier of the State Council of the People's Republic of China.
- Kim Jong Il Receives Greetings from Chinese Party and State Leaders KCNA 05 Oct 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il received a message of greetings from Hu Jintao, president of the People's Republic of China.
- Kim Jong Il Greets Chinese Party and State Leaders KCNA 05 Oct 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il sent a message of greetings to Hu Jintao, president of the People's Republic of China.
- Kim Jong Il Hosts Dinner for Wen Jiabao KCNA 05 Oct 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il hosted a dinner in honor of Wen Jiabao, premier of the State Council of the People's Republic of China.
- Kim Jong Il Visits Wen Jiabao at State Guest House KCNA 05 Oct 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il visited the state guest house for Wen Jiabao, on an official goodwill visit to the DPRK.
- North Korean Leader Greets Chinese Premier at Airport VOA 05 Oct 2009 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Il has made a rare public appearance, greeting Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao as the Chinese leader arrived in Pyongyang for talks.
- Chinese Premier Visits North Korea VOA 05 Oct 2009 -- China has pledged to strengthen its friendship with isolated North Korea, as Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao continues a trip to mark 60th anniversary of diplomatic ties between the two countries.
- Agreement and Agreed Documents Signed between DPRK, Chinese Governments KCNA 04 Oct 2009 -- An agreement and agreed documents between the governments of the DPRK and China signed.
- Talks Held between DPRK and Chinese Premiers KCNA 04 Oct 2009 -- Talks between Kim Yong Il, premier of the DPRK Cabinet, and Wen Jiabao, premier of State Council of China, took place at Mansudae Assembly Hall.
- Kim Jong Il Watches Opera with Chinese Premier KCNA 04 Oct 2009 -- General Secretary Kim Jong Il watched opera with Wen Jiabao, premier of the State Council of the People's Republic of China.
- Wen Jiabao's Arrival Statement KCNA 04 Oct 2009 -- Wen Jiabao, premier of the State Council of the People's Republic of China, made a written speech upon his arrival in Pyongyang at the airport.
- Chinese Premier Here KCNA 04 Oct 2009 -- Wen Jiabao, premier of the State Council of the People's Republic of China, arrived today by special plane.
- Chinese premier arrives in North Korea on official visit RIA Novosti 04 Oct 2009 -- Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao arrived in North Korea on a three-day official visit on Sunday.
- Expert urges sustained efforts to understand China's military CNA 01 Oct 2009 -- China showcased its military hardware in a parade in Beijing to celebrate its 60th national day.
- China marks 60 years with show of military power RIA Novosti 01 Oct 2009 -- People's Republic of China celebrated the 60th anniversary of its founding with a vast display of the country's military might.
- China Celebrates 60 Years of Achievement Under Communist Rule VOA 01 Oct 2009 -- China has showcased its military capabilities in parade to mark the 60th anniversary of the Communist state.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list