October 2008 - China Special Weapons News
- China launches telecom satellite for Venezuela RIA Novosti 30 Oct 2008 -- China has successfully launched a carrier rocket with a Venezuelan telecommunications satellite on board.
- Dalai Lama's Envoys Travel to Beijing for Talks With Chinese Officials VOA 30 Oct 2008 -- Two envoys of the Dalai Lama are traveling to Beijing for talks with Chinese officials on Tibet.
- China Plans Talks With Dalai Lama Envoys VOA 29 Oct 2008 -- China says it will soon hold another round of talks with envoys of the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama.
- Dalai Lama Says He Has Lost Hope in China Talks VOA 26 Oct 2008 -- Tibet's exiled spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, says he has given up on efforts to bring greater autonomy for Tibet under Chinese rule.
- President has not changed position on China missile threat: official CNA 23 Oct 2008 -- President Ma has never given up demand for China to remove its missiles targeting Taiwan.
- US Court Blocks Release of Chinese Muslims From Guantanamo VOA 21 Oct 2008 -- A US federal appeals court has blocked immediate release of 17 Chinese Muslims from the Guantanamo Bay military prison.
- China Issues Wanted List for Alleged Olympic Terrorists VOA 21 Oct 2008 -- China has announced a wanted list of eight men who allegedly carried out attacks aimed at disrupting the Beijing Olympics.
- DPP lawmakers challenge president on "no war" statement CNA 21 Oct 2008 -- Opposition Democratic Progressive Party expressed concern over President Ma's assurance of "no war across the Taiwan Strait."
- No war in Taiwan Strait in next four years: president CNA 21 Oct 2008 -- President Ma reassured nation of strong commitment to preserving peace across the Taiwan Strait during his term.
- Russia has over $5 bln in foreign naval orders RIA Novosti 21 Oct 2008 -- Foreign orders for Russian naval hardware for the next three years exceed $5 billion.
- Russia plans to sell $8 bln worth of weaponry in 2008 RIA Novosti 21 Oct 2008 -- Russia is expecting to increase its arms exports to $8 billion in 2008.
- Sudan Blames Rebels for Kidnapping Chinese Oil Workers VOA 20 Oct 2008 -- Sudanese and Chinese officials working to make contact with the kidnappers of 9 Chinese oil workers abducted in Sudan.
- Nine Chinese Oil Workers Kidnapped in Sudan VOA 19 Oct 2008 -- Sudanese authorities say unidentified gunmen have abducted nine Chinese oil workers in central Sudan.
- Pakistan to get two more nuclear power plants from China IRNA 18 Oct 2008 -- FM Qureshi: Pakistan will get 2 more nuclear power plants from China.
- China to Help Pakistan Build 2 Power Plants VOA 18 Oct 2008 -- Pakistan's foreign minister: China has agreed to help Islamabad build 2 additional nuclear power plants.
- Japan concerned over Chinese submarines near maritime borders RIA Novosti 17 Oct 2008 -- Chinese submarines have recently increased their activity near Japan's maritime borders in the East China Sea.
- Handover of Russian islands to China seen as effective diplomacy RIA Novosti 14 Oct 2008 -- Chinese FM spokesman: Settlement of the border issue between Russia and China example of using a diplomatic solution.
- China Demands Repatriation of Uighur Detainees Held at Guantanamo VOA 9 Oct 2008 -- China repeating calls for Uighurs in US custody to be repatriated to China.
- Tibetan Envoy Warns of Possible Split, Violence if Beijing Talks Fail VOA 8 Oct 2008 -- The Dalai Lama's Special Envoy: Growing sentiment against engagement and failed talks with China could lead to violence.
- Arms sales in accordance with Taiwan Relations Act CNA 8 Oct 2008 -- In an attempt to defuse China's anger over weapons to Taiwan, the US insisted that the sale was in accordance with the Taiwan Relations Act.
- China Warns of Consequences for US Weapons Sales to Taiwan VOA 7 Oct 2008 -- China has warned that a US decision to sell weapons to Taiwan will harm Washington's relations with Beijing.
- China Cancels, Postpones Military Contacts with US Over Taiwan Arms Sale Approval VOA 6 Oct 2008 -- China canceled and postponed some military exchanges to protest the approval of new weapons sales to Taiwan.
- China's Strategic Modernization: Report from the ISAB Task Force ISAB 1 Oct 2008 -- The Secretary's International Security Advisory Board (ISAB) was asked to examine China's strategic modernization, including the principal underlying motivations.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|