Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
2014 Belarus Special Weapons News
- 'No sign of improvement' for human rights in Belarus, warns UN expert UN News Centre 24 Dec 2014 -- Amid the continuing application of death sentences, the harassment of human rights defenders and independent journalists, and a new censorship law clamping down on internet freedom, the Government of Belarus shows no imminent sign of bettering its human rights record, a United Nations expert has declared.
- Eurasian Economic Union on Shaky Ground at Outset VOA 23 Dec 2014 -- The Eurasian Economic Union is headed for a rough start. Officials from members of the economic alliance, which was modeled on the European Union and officially comes into effect January 1, met Tuesday in Moscow under the pain of Russia's collapsing economy and the absence of Ukraine.
- Russia Plans to Deliver New Aircraft to Belarus Air Base: Defense Minister Sputnik 23 Dec 2014 -- Russia will increase the number of airplanes and helicopters at its base to be opened in Belarus, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said Tuesday during a meeting with his Belarusian counterpart Andrei Ravkov.
- Belarus President Offers Support to Ukraine VOA 21 Dec 2014 -- Belarus' authoritarian President Alexander Lukashenko arrived in Kyiv Sunday to offer his support as Ukraine struggles with its pro-Russian separatist insurgency and to try to revive stalled peace talks.
- Moscow, Minsk Spar Over Bans On Belarusian Imports RFE/RL 04 Dec 2014 -- Belarusian and Russian officials are meeting in Moscow amid a growing feud over Moscow's banning of many food imports from Belarus.
- Lithuanian Military Officer Accused Of Spying For Belarus RFE/RL 03 Dec 2014 -- A Lithuanian military health official is being charged with spying for Belarus.
- Lukashenka's Longtime Defense Chief Out In Belarus RFE/RL 25 Nov 2014 -- Belarusian Defense Minister Yury Zhadobin has resigned in a move observers said could be part of an attempt by President Alyaksandr Lukashenka to improve the military's combat-readiness.
- Fighter Jet Crashes in Southwest Belarus Sputnik 11 Nov 2014 -- A MiG-29 multirole fighter jet crashed in southwest Belarus on Tuesday afternoon, a representative from the country's Investigative Committee told RIA Novosti.
- Shocking! Belarusian President Speaks Belarusian RFE/RL 02 Jul 2014 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has stunned his nation by giving a speech...in Belarusian.
- Russia, Kazakhstan, Belarus Sign Treaty Creating Economic Union RFE/RL 29 May 2014 -- The leaders of Russia, Kazakhstan, and Belarus have signed a treaty in Astana on the creation of a Russian-led Eurasian Economic Union (EES).
- Belarus ratified agreement with Russia on GLONASS cooperation VoR 21 May 2014 -- The lower house of the National Assembly of Belarus on Wednesday has ratified an agreement on cooperation in the field of the deployment and development of the Russian GLONASS satellite navigation system.
- Belarusian President Offers to Coordinate on Ukraine With Moscow RIA Novosti 08 May 2014 -- Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko suggested to Russian President Vladimir Putin on Thursday that the two countries could coordinate joint activities in regard to the situation in Ukraine.
- Lukashenka Urges Belarusians To Learn From Ukraine's 'Mistakes' RFE/RL 22 Apr 2014 -- In his annual address to the nation, President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has told Belarusians to 'learn from the mistakes' of their neighbors.
- Russia, Belarus to Conduct Joint Aircraft and Air Defense Exercises RIA Novosti 21 Apr 2014 -- More than 150 representatives of the Russian Air Force and their colleagues from Belarus will meet this week to discuss joint exercises and test the integration of the countries’ air forces and air defense systems, a spokesman for the Russian military said Monday.
- China, Belarus seek stronger military cooperation People's Daily 15 Apr 2014 -- China and Belarus vowed to strengthen military relations in Beijing on Tuesday.
- Creation of Russia-Belarus union is a life-changing event – Putin VoR 02 Apr 2014 -- Russia’s President Vladimir Putin has congratulated President of Belarus Alexander Lukashenko on the Day of Unity between the Peoples of Russia and Belarus, the Kremlin press service said on Wednesday. Creation of the Russia-Belarus Union State became a life-changing event for Russian and Belarusian people. The two countries have "settled down to a course of close integration, joining forces to provide stability and security and ensuring citizens' well-being and prosperity,” the Kremlin quoted Putin.
- Belarusian President Says Crimean Annexation 'Bad Precedent' RFE/RL 23 Mar 2014 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka says Russia's annexation of Crimea is a 'bad precedent,' but acknowledged that the region is now a 'de facto' part of Russia.
- Russia redeploys early warning jet to Belarus VoR 16 Mar 2014 -- Russia on Saturday redeployed a Beriev A-50 early warning aircraft to Belarus as part of a Belarusian-Russian air defense exercise, the Belarusian Defense Ministry said.
- Russia Sends 6 Fighter Jets to Belarus RIA Novosti 13 Mar 2014 -- Six Russian Su-27 fighter jets and three military transport planes with ground support personnel arrived Thursday at an airbase in Belarus to boost the airspace defenses of the two countries' Union State, the Russian Defense Ministry said.
- Belarus Seeks to Host More Russian Jets Amid Ukraine Crisis RIA Novosti 12 Mar 2014 -- Belarus will ask Russia to deploy up to 15 additional combat aircraft on its territory in response to increased NATO military activity along the country's borders, President Alexander Lukashenko said Wednesday.
- Maidan won't happen in Belarus - Lukashenko VoR 24 Feb 2014 -- Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has ruled out the possibility of a Ukrainian scenario in Belarus. 'It's not enough to say that the Maidan is not acceptable in Belarus. There will be no Maidan in Belarus.
- Lukashenko Rules out Ukraine-Style Uprising in Belarus RIA Novosti 24 Feb 2014 -- Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko on Sunday ruled out the possibility of a popular uprising in his country similar to the recent events in Ukraine.
- Belarus to upgrade its Su-27 fighters People's Daily 01 Feb 2014 -- Belarus will repair and upgrade its Su-27 aircraft which have been decommissioned, Chairman of the State Military-Industrial Committee Sergei Hurulev told reporters
- Belarus Begins Snap Inspection of Armed Forces RIA Novosti 21 Jan 2014 -- President Alexander Lukashenko on Tuesday ordered a large-scale surprise inspection of the country's armed forces, the Belarusian Defense Ministry said.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list