Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
2006 Belarus Special Weapons News
- Russia completes delivery of S-300 air defense systems to Belarus RIA Novosti 23 Nov 2006 -- Russia has delivered the last two S-300 (SA-10 Grumble) anti-aircraft missile systems to Belarus, the Belarusian defense minister said Thursday.
- Unified air defense system deal may be signed in late Nov. RIA Novosti 14 Nov 2006 -- Russia and Belarus may sign an agreement to form a unified air defense system during a meeting of the former Soviet republics' defense ministers November 23, a Belarusian military official said Tuesday.
- Belarus to put 4 air defense systems on combat duty by December RIA Novosti 27 Oct 2006 -- Belarus will have all four S-300 air defense systems supplied by Russia on combat duty by December of this year, the country's defense minister said Friday.
- Russia, Belarus to sign agreement on joint air defense system RIA Novosti 19 Oct 2006 -- Russia and Belarus will sign an agreement in the near future on forming a unified air defense system, the Russian Air Force commander said Thursday.
- Belarus to announce tender for new national satellite RIA Novosti 17 Aug 2006 -- Belarus will announce a tender by the end of the week for a new national BelKa satellite to replace the one destroyed when a Russian rocket crashed in Kazakhstan in July, a source involved in the negotiations said Thursday.
- New Congressional Measure Aims To Promote Democracy in Belarus Washington File 01 Aug 2006 -- A bipartisan measure has been introduced in the U.S. Congress to continue support for the promotion of democracy, human rights and the rule of law in Belarus, as well as to encourage the consolidation and strengthening of Belarus' sovereignty and independence.
- First Belarusian space satellite to lift off soon RIA Novosti 26 Jun 2006 -- The first Belarusian remote-sensing satellite BelKA (Belarusian Spacecraft), due to lift off on June 28, will relay high-resolution photos of the earth's surface to be used for economic, social and commercial needs.
- Russia, Belarus to reinforce regional security - Sergei Ivanov RIA Novosti 24 Jun 2006 -- Russia's defense minister said Saturday Russia and Belarus were resolved to strengthen the operational capacity of their joint forces in the region.
- Belarus resolved to build up armed forces - President Lukashenko RIA Novosti 24 Jun 2006 -- Belarus is determined to strengthen its armed forces at any cost, President Alexander Lukashenko said Saturday, summing up the results of a large-scale military exercise with Russia.
- No need to deploy nuclear weapons in Belarus - Lukashenko RIA Novosti 24 Jun 2006 -- Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko said there would be no need to deploy tactical nuclear weapons in Belarus.
- 300 Russian soldiers, 40 aircraft taking part in Belarus exercises RIA Novosti 19 Jun 2006 -- More than 300 Russian servicemen and 40 aircraft are taking part in command and staff exercises with Belarus, a senior Air Force officer said Monday.
- Russia, Belarus set to create air defense servicing center RIA Novosti 15 Jun 2006 -- A joint Russian-Belarusian center for servicing air defense equipment will be established in eastern Belarus in the near future, a senior executive with a Russian defense group said Thursday.
- Ukraine, Belarus to expand military, technical cooperation RIA Novosti 25 May 2006 -- Ukraine is planning to strengthen military and technical ties with Belarus, the country's defense minister said Thursday.
- George W. Bush issues ban on U.S. entry for Belarus govt. RIA Novosti 16 May 2006 -- President George W. Bush has banned senior Belarusian officials and people with ties to the Belarusian government from traveling to the United States, the White House press service said Tuesday.
- Belarus Opposition Activists Sentenced to Jail for Protests VOA 27 Apr 2006 -- Top Belarussian opposition leader Alexander Milinkevich has been sentenced to 15 days in jail shortly after his arrest in the capital Minsk
- First train with S-300 missile systems arrives in Minsk RIA Novosti 21 Apr 2006 -- The first train with S-300 anti-aircraft missile systems has arrived in the capital of Belarus, the country's defense minister said Friday.
- Russia-Belarus air defense to be finalized by year's end-Ivanov RIA Novosti 21 Apr 2006 -- Russia and Belarus could start integrating their air defense systems by the end of the year, the Russian defense minister said Friday.
- Belarus to spend $1.6 bln on elimination of Chernobyl fallout RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2006 -- Belarus intends to spend $1.6 billion on social and economic rehabilitation of its territories affected by the 1986 Chernobyl disaster, the country's prime minister said Wednesday.
- Belarus: Lukashenka Enters Third Term Fraught With Economic Dangers RFE/RL 12 Apr 2006 -- Alyaksandr Lukashenka has won the opportunity to continue serving as Belarus's president, but he must now face harsh realities that could make his third term a rocky one.
- Belarus: EU Imposes Visa Ban On Lukashenka, 30 Other Top Officials RFE/RL 10 Apr 2006 -- EU foreign ministers today imposed a visa ban on 31 top Belarusian officials considered responsible for the conduct of the country's March 19 presidential poll, which the EU condemned as neither free nor fair
- Belarus: Lukashenka Inaugurated After Disputed Election RFE/RL 08 Apr 2006 -- Alyaksandr Lukashenka has been sworn in for a new term as president of Belarus
- Belarus President Lukashenko Sworn in For Third Term After Controversial Election VOA 08 Apr 2006 -- Belarussian President Alexander Lukashenko was sworn in for a third term Saturday, following disputed elections.
- EU: Diplomat Says Visa Ban On Belarusian Officials Likely To Be Imposed RFE/RL 07 Apr 2006 -- A high-ranking EU diplomat has told RFE/RL that European Union foreign ministers will impose a visa ban on 31 top Belarusian officials when they meet in Luxembourg on April 10.
- EU Will Slap Visa Bans On 31 Top Belarusian Officials RFE/RL 07 Apr 2006 -- European Union foreign ministers, meeting in Luxembourg on April 10, will impose a visa ban on 31 top Belarusian officials, an EU diplomat told RFE/RL today.
- Belarus: European Parliament Increases Pressure Following Opposition Leader's Visit RFE/RL 06 Apr 2006 -- The European Parliament today approved a nonbinding draft resolution calling on members of the European Union to impose a visa ban on Belarusian officials it considers responsible for human rights violations -- including President Alyaksandr Lukashenka
- Milinkevich Urges EU To Impose Travel Ban On Belarusian Officials RFE/RL 05 Apr 2006 -- Belarusian opposition leader Alyaksandr Milinkevich has urged the European Union to ban hundreds of Belarusian officials from traveling in the EU for violating election laws.
- Russia/Belarus: Is A Gas War Brewing? RFE/RL 03 Apr 2006 -- At a meeting with Belarusian officials on March 30, Aleksei Miller, the CEO of Russia's state gas monopoly Gazprom, announced that in 2007 Belarus will be charged European rates for Russian gas.
- New Date Set For Belarusian President's Inauguration RFE/RL 03 Apr 2006 -- The president of Belarus, Alyaksandr Lukashenka, is to be sworn in on April 8 following his controversial victory in a presidential election on March 19. It will be his third term in office.
- Belarusian Opposition Leader To Seek EU Backing RFE/RL 31 Mar 2006 -- Belarusian opposition leader Alyaksandr Milinkevic is due to travel to Vienna next week to seek further European Union pressure on President Alyaksandr Lukashenka following disputed presidential elections.
- Belarus: Are There Cracks In The Fortress Of Authority? RFE/RL 29 Mar 2006 -- Belarusian opposition leader Alyaksandr Milinkevich believes that the week of street protests that followed the country's March 19 presidential vote made "cracks in the fortress" of the ruling regime.
- Rice Sees Signs of Progress in Belarus Despite Lukashenko Victory VOA 29 Mar 2006 -- U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice told Senators Tuesday she thinks a democratic opposition may be emerging in Belarus despite President Alexander Lukashenko's lopsided re-election victory earlier this month
- Belarus: Missing Opposition Figure Is Found RFE/RL 26 Mar 2006 -- Missing Belarusian opposition leader Alyaksandr Kazulin has been located in a detention facility outside Minsk, as many protesters remain in jail a day after clashing with police in the capital
- Minsk March Ends In Violence, Arrests RFE/RL 25 Mar 2006 -- In the Belarusian capital Minsk today, police assaulted opposition supporters as they were marching toward the city's main detention center to demand the release of people held over the past few days.
- Belarus Police Break Up Rally, Arrest Opposition Candidate VOA 25 Mar 2006 -- Police in Belarus broke up a protest in the capital, Minsk, Saturday, after an earlier rally against the results of presidential elections.
- Belarus: Planned EU Sanctions To Personally Target Lukashenka RFE/RL 24 Mar 2006 -- The overnight breakup of a peaceful demonstration in Minsk spurred quick retaliation from EU diplomats in Brussels today, and targeted President Alyaksandr Lukashenka personally.
- Belarus: Minsk Protesters Face Trial As West Criticizes Arrests RFE/RL 24 Mar 2006 -- Protesters detained overnight in the Belarusian capital, Minsk, are appearing in court today.
- Minsk Riot Police End Demonstration, Detain Some 250 RFE/RL 24 Mar 2006 -- Riot police in the Belarus capital Minsk moved overnight onto a central square to end a demonstration against the reelection of President Alyaksandr Lukashenka
- Belarus: Is This The End Of The Election Protests? RFE/RL 24 Mar 2006 -- Riot police in the Belarus capital Minsk overnight arrested some 200 opposition demonstrators gathered on Minsk's October Square to protest the country's March 19 presidential poll
- Belarusian Riot Police Break Up Election Protest VOA 24 Mar 2006 -- Belarussian riot police arrested hundreds of protestors and took down their makeshift tent camp in central Minsk early Friday morning, ending a small but defiant movement againt hard-line President Alexander Lukashenko.
- US, EU Impose New Sanctions on Belarus VOA 24 Mar 2006 -- The United States and European Union have announced new sanctions against Belarus following the arrest overnight of opposition activists who had protested the re-election of President Alexander Lukashenko.
- Belarus Activists Rally at Protest Camp in Minsk VOA 23 Mar 2006 -- Opposition activists in Belarus are continuing their around-the-clock protest in the center of Minsk, denouncing the conduct of the vote this week that re-elected Alexander Lukashenko president of the former Soviet republic.
- U.S. Seeks Expanded Sanctions Against Belarusian Authorities Washington File 22 Mar 2006 -- The United States is working with European allies to seek increased financial penalties and travel restrictions for individuals in the Belarus government responsible for fraud and human-rights violations following widely criticized elections March 19.
- Analysis: Frustrated, Dissent Fades in Minsk cfr.org 22 Mar 2006 -- The presidential election (ElectionGuide.org) in Belarus that returned to office a man dubbed by the International Herald Tribune as "The Last Dictator in Europe" has drawn widespread criticism from abroad.
- Belarus: Protesters Hold Vigil Amid Continuing Crackdown RFE/RL 22 Mar 2006 -- Belarusian opposition supporters have been keeping a vigil on a central square of Minsk to support demands that results of the March 19 presidential polls be annulled
- Belarus: EU Divided On Retaliation For Flawed Poll RFE/RL 21 Mar 2006 -- The foreign ministers of the European Union member-states were quick to dismiss as undemocratic Belarus's presidential poll on March 19.
- Milinkevich Urges Supporters to Suspend Protest for 5 Days VOA 21 Mar 2006 -- Belarusian opposition leader Alexander Milinkevich says he is urging his supporters to suspend for about five days their protest over what they believe was fraud in Sunday's presidential elections.
- Belarusian Police Detain Senior Opposition Politicians VOA 21 Mar 2006 -- Belarusian opposition figures say police detained two opposition politicians as protesters held a third day of rallies against Sunday's re-election of President Alexander Lukashenko.
- Belarus: Opposition Protesters Remain On Central Minsk Square RFE/RL 21 Mar 2006 -- Some 200 demonstrators remain in central Minsk following an overnight vigil to protest official election results giving President Alyaksandr Lukashenka a third term in office.
- A Cold Night In Minsk For Hundreds Of Protesters RFE/RL 21 Mar 2006 -- Several hundred opposition supporters have been spending the night on a central square in Belarus's capital, Minsk, in a protest over official election results that gave incumbent President Alyaksandr Lukashenka a third term.
- U.S. "Does Not Accept the Results" of Flawed Belarus Election Washington File 20 Mar 2006 -- The United States does not accept the claims of Belarusian President Aleksandr Lukashenko that he won the March 19 presidential election, which international election observers have deemed "severely flawed."
- US Says Belarus Vote Result Unacceptable VOA 20 Mar 2006 -- The United States is calling for new elections in Belarus, saying Sunday's vote was seriously flawed and held in a climate of fear.
- OSCE Says Belarus Presidential Vote Not Free or Fair VOA 20 Mar 2006 -- European election monitors say Sunday's presidential vote in Belarus was not democratic.
- Results Show Lukashenka Victorious, And Thousands Protest RFE/RL 20 Mar 2006 -- The Belarus Central Election Commission says nearly complete preliminary results show incumbent President Alyaksandr Lukashenka winning reelection to a third term, with 82.6 percent of yesterday's vote.
- Lukashenka Declared Winner Of Belarus Vote RFE/RL 20 Mar 2006 -- Incumbent Alyaksandr Lukashenka has officially been declared the winner of March 19 presidential election in Belarus.
- Lukashenka Says Revolution 'Failed' RFE/RL 20 Mar 2006 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka says his opponents' efforts to inspire a revolution have "failed."
- West, Russia Differ Over Belarusian Election RFE/RL 20 Mar 2006 -- Western and Russian officials are differing sharply in their reactions to the March 19 presidential vote in Belarus.
- Belarus President, Opposition Trade Criticism After Election VOA 19 Mar 2006 -- The long-time leader of Belarus, Alexander Lukashenko, has won a huge victory, according to official poll results of Sunday's presidential election.
- Belarus: Why Is Poland So Interested In Belarus' Fate? RFE/RL 19 Mar 2006 -- In the 12 months leading up to today's presidential elections, Polish citizens have taken a strong interest in the fate of their neighbors, the Belarusians
- Belarus Calm As Voting Proceeds RFE/RL 19 Mar 2006 -- Belarusians are voting today in presidential elections amid allegations by the opposition the ballot will be rigged.
- Some 10,000 Gather In Central Minsk RFE/RL 19 Mar 2006 -- Thousands of opposition supporters are gathering in a central square in the Belarusian capital Minsk following the closure of polls in the country's presidential elections.
- Minsk Opposition Protest Continues To Grow RFE/RL 19 Mar 2006 -- Opposition supporters are continuing to gather by the thousands in a central square in the Belarusian capital Minsk to protest alleged fraud in today's presidential elections, RFE/RL's Belarusian Service reported.
- Lukashenko Set to Win Re-election in Belarus, Opposition Says Vote Rigged VOA 19 Mar 2006 -- Exit polls in Belarus show President Alexander Lukashenko will win a third term by a landslide, while the opposition calls Sunday's election a farce.
- Belarus: EU Sets Up 'Situation Room' To Watch Election RFE/RL 18 Mar 2006 -- A "situation room" has been set up at the European Parliament in Brussels to observe as much as possible of the presidential elections on March 19.
- Belarus Election Chief Warns Opposition RFE/RL 18 Mar 2006 -- The head of Belarus's Central Election Commission today accused Western countries of trying to exert pressure on the government ahead of the March 19 presidential polls.
- Lukashenka Vows To Use Force On 'Troublemakers' RFE/RL 17 Mar 2006 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka today warned against any attempt at stirring unrest in the country, saying security forces would "wring the neck" of troublemakers.
- U.S.: White House Calls Lukashenka 'Among Most Corrupt Leaders In The World' RFE/RL 17 Mar 2006 -- The administration of U.S. President George W. Bush has submitted a report on the "repressive dictatorship" of Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka to Congress just days ahead of Belarus's election
- Lukashenka To Opponents: "We Will Twist Their Heads Off" RFE/RL 17 Mar 2006 -- Belarus' incumbent president today said he would not allow anyone stage a coup ahead of, or during, the March 19 election in which he is standing for a third term.
- Belarus: Dirty Press Tricks Enter Presidential Campaign RFE/RL 17 Mar 2006 -- Overall, it hasn't been a good year for the Belarusian press.
- Belarus Prepares for Presidential Show-Down at the Polls VOA 16 Mar 2006 -- Belarussians are to elect a president Sunday in a race western governments and human rights groups say is flawed due to wide-scale harassment of opposition activists and an almost total lack of free media. Incumbent President Alexander Lukashenko is widely expected to win a third term
- EU Again Warns Belarus Of Sanctions If Polls Rigged RFE/RL 16 Mar 2006 -- The European Commission today threatened Belarus with further sanctions if the presidential election on March 19 is rigged.
- Belarus: As Vote Nears, Regime Thins Out Opposition Ranks RFE/RL 10 Mar 2006 -- Courts in Minsk on March 9 handed down 15-day prison sentences to Belarusian opposition leader Vintsuk Vyachorka, the deputy campaign head for opposition presidential candidate Alyaksandr Milinkevich -- the main political rival to incumbent President Alyaksandr Lukashenka in the March 19 presidential vote
- Europe, U.S. Preparing Common Post-election Policies for Belarus Washington File 10 Mar 2006 -- The run-up to the March 19 presidential election in Belarus is already deeply flawed, and the United States is making plans with European allies for common post-election policies, a senior State Department official said at a congressional hearing March 9.
- Another Key Figure In Milinkevich Team Jailed In Belarus RFE/RL 09 Mar 2006 -- A court in Minsk today sentenced three opposition leaders to 15 days in prison for organizing an unsanctioned rally with voters in Minsk.
- Opposition Leader Detained In Belarus RFE/RL 07 Mar 2006 -- A top member of the opposition in Belarus was briefly detained and fined today just over a week before President Alyaksandr Lukashenka's bid for re-election.
- Analysis: The Peculiarities Of Political Discourse In Belarus RFE/RL 06 Mar 2006 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka made a nearly four-hour-long televised speech to some 2,500 handpicked loyalists at a gathering called the All-Belarusian People's Assembly in Minsk on March 2.
- Belarusian Opposition Candidates Say Their Speeches Are Censored RFE/RL 06 Mar 2006 -- Two candidates in the March 19 presidential election in Belarus today complained that their political speeches are being censored.
- Free, Fair Election Increasingly Unlikely in Belarus, U.S. Says Washington File 03 Mar 2006 -- The United States increasingly is doubtful that the government of Belarus will tolerate a free and fair election March 19, according to a U.S. diplomat who also condemned the March 2 beating and jailing of an opposition candidate.
- US Says Belarus Arrest Reinforces Fears About Upcoming Election VOA 03 Mar 2006 -- The State Department says the arrest and beating of an opposition politician in Belarus Thursday reinforces concern the country's upcoming presidential election will not be free and fair.
- Police Silent As 3,000 Democracy Supporters Rally In Minsk RFE/RL 02 Mar 2006 -- Some 3,000 opposition supporters rallied in the Belarus capital Minsk tonight amid rising tensions in the runup to the Belarus presidential election on March 19.
- Thousands Of Opposition Supporters Rally Peacefully In Minsk RFE/RL 02 Mar 2006 -- Several thousand opposition activists rallied tonight in the Belarusian capital, Minsk, amid heavy police presence, but the rally reportedly ended peacefully
- Belarusian Opposition Candidate Detained RFE/RL 02 Mar 2006 -- Government security agents today detained a Belarusian opposition candidate who is running in the March 19 presidential election.
- Belarusian KGB Says Opposition Planning Coup RFE/RL 01 Mar 2006 -- Officials at the Belarusian KGB today accused the political opposition of preparing a coup attempt after the 19 March elections.
- Analysis: When Bread Is Dearer Than Freedom In Belarus RFE/RL 01 Mar 2006 -- In the West, Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka is often portrayed as a deeply unpopular dictator
- Diplomat Says U.S. Is 'Concerned' About Belarus Election RFE/RL 24 Feb 2006 -- A top U.S. diplomat says it looks increasingly unlikely that Belarus will have a free and fair presidential election.
- Post-Soviet Belarus: A Timeline RFE/RL 24 Feb 2006
- Belarus: Opposition Targeted As Lukashenka Calls For 'Preemptive' Security Sweep RFE/RL 22 Feb 2006 -- Belarus's Committee for State Security, better known as the KGB, on 21 February staged a series of raids targeting members of the political opposition
- Belarus Opposition Candidate Warns Of Protests RFE/RL 16 Feb 2006 -- Belarus's main opposition presidential candidate has said next month's election will not be democratic and warned that protests could follow.
- Belarus: Presidential Election Campaign Ready To Start In Earnest RFE/RL 16 Feb 2006 -- On 17 February Belarus will officially announce the names of people registered to run for election in the 19 March presidential poll.
- OSCE To Send 400 Monitors To Belarus Election RFE/RL 10 Feb 2006 -- The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) today said that it will deploy some 400 observers to monitor the presidential election in Belarus in March.
- Free Elections Impossible In Belarus, Media Leaders Say RFE/RL 10 Feb 2006 -- Press freedom advocates said today that tight government restrictions on the media make free elections in Belarus impossible.
- Belarus: Country Headed For Another Phony Vote RFE/RL 09 Feb 2006 -- Belarus will hold a presidential election on 19 March, in which incumbent President Alyaksandr Lukashenka will run for the third time in a row
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list