Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
November 2021 - Belarus Special Weapons News
- Lukashenka Says Belarus Willing To Host Russian Nuclear Weapons RFE/RL 30 Nov 2021 -- Belarus's authoritarian leader, Alyaksandr Lukashenka, has said that his country would be willing to host Russian nuclear weapons if NATO moved similar U.S. equipment from Germany to Eastern Europe.
- Minsk Ready to Deploy Russian Nuclear Weapons if NATO Systems Appear in Poland, Lukashenko Says Sputnik 30 Nov 2021 -- Minsk will propose to Moscow to deploy nuclear weapons in Belarus if similar NATO systems appear in Poland, Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko told Sputnik.
- EU Readies More Belarus Sanctions Over Migrant Crisis, Document Reveals RFE/RL 30 Nov 2021 -- The European Union is set to adopt a fifth package of sanctions against Belarus that will add 17 people and 12 entities as the bloc targets those involved in what it alleges is Minsk's orchestration of a crisis that has left thousands of migrants in squalid conditions on the border.
- Minsk, Moscow Announce Joint Military Drills As NATO Prepares To Discuss Russian Troop Buildup RFE/RL 29 Nov 2021 -- Belarus has announced joint military exercises with Russia along its southern border as NATO gathers for a meeting to discuss its concerns about the Russian troop buildup near Ukraine.
- IOM scales up aid at EU-Belarus border, as migrant hypothermia deaths tick up UN News 29 Nov 2021 -- The International Organization for Migration (IOM) and partners, are scaling up aid along the border between the European Union and Belarus, amid worsening winter weather, which is leading to rising deaths due to hypothermia among asylum seekers stranded there.
- Iraq Plans More Repatriation Flights As Belarus Tells Migrants They Can Go To The EU RFE/RL 27 Nov 2021 -- Iraq is sending more planes to repatriate about 800 migrants stranded on the Belarus-Poland border, adding to nearly a thousand already brought home, the Foreign Ministry said.
- Tsikhanouskaya Urges EU To Fill 'Leaky' Sanctions On Belarus RFE/RL 24 Nov 2021 -- Exiled Belarusian opposition leader Svyatlana Tsikhanouskaya has called on the European Union to do more to help Belarusians, whom she called "forgotten Europeans," in their fight for freedom.
- Belarus Bans Country's Oldest Newspaper As Extremist RFE/RL 24 Nov 2021 -- Belarus's oldest newspaper was banned as "extremist" on the 115th anniversary of its establishment in the latest assault on independent media since last year's disputed presidential election.
- Poland Says Migrants Still Crossing From Belarus As EU Readies New Sanctions RFE/RL 23 Nov 2021 -- Poland says groups of migrants have made new attempts to illegally cross the border from Belarus, and warned against interpreting recent moves by Minsk to repatriate some of the migrants as a de-escalation of the crisis on the European Union's eastern frontier.
- Berlin Again Rejects Lukashenka Proposal That Germany Should Take 2,000 Migrants RFE/RL 22 Nov 2021 -- Germany has again rejected a proposal by Alyaksandr Lukashenka that it take in some 2,000 migrants currently in the former Soviet republic after Belarus's authoritarian ruler accused European officials of failing to engage with Minsk on solving the problem and warning it could lead to armed conflict.
- Poland Calls Belarus Migrant Crisis 'Greatest Attempt To Destabilize' Europe In Decades RFE/RL 21 Nov 2021 -- Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki has called the migrant crisis along the Belarus-Polish border the "greatest attempt to destabilize Europe" since the Cold War and warned that the worst could be yet to come.
- Migrants On Belarus Border Pushed Back After Attempt To Enter Poland RFE/RL 20 Nov 2021 -- Polish officials accused Belarus of shifting tactics to encourage migrants to cross the border into Poland, as new attempts to breach the frontier were reported.
- Migrants Still Trying To Force Entry Into Poland After Belarus Clears Camps RFE/RL 19 Nov 2021 -- Polish authorities say migrants tried to cross the border from Belarus overnight -- but in smaller numbers -- after Belarus cleared some camps where people had gathered in freezing temperatures and as hundreds of migrants were flown back to Iraq.
- NATO Chief Calls Situation at Belarus-Poland Border 'Deeply Concerning' VOA 19 Nov 2021 -- NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said Friday the situation at the border between Poland and Belarus is "deeply concerning" and the alliance stands ready to help its allies involved.
- Poland Accuses Belarus of Creating Border Crisis After Refugee Camps Cleared VOA 19 Nov 2021 -- Poland accused Belarus on Friday of trucking hundreds of refugees to the two countries' border and encouraging them to illegally cross into Polish territory to enter the European Union, an accusation that comes hours after Belarusian officials cleared the refugee camp where thousands had been hunkered down.
- G7 Foreign Ministers' Statement on Belarus US Dept. of State 18 Nov 2021 -- The text of the following statement was released by the G7 foreign ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States of America, and the High Representative of the European Union.
- G-7 Urges Belarus to End Migrant Crisis VOA 18 Nov 2021 -- The G-7 group of nations condemned what it called the Belarus government's "orchestration of irregular migration across its borders" Thursday, as neighboring Poland reported new attempts to cross its border.
- Poland Detains Migrants Attempting Belarus Border Breach, Hundreds Prepare To Fly Home RFE/RL 18 Nov 2021 -- Tensions remain high at the Polish-Belarus border, with soldiers detaining about 100 migrants who illegally crossed into the European Union country, while hundreds of others checked in for a flight back home to Iraq.
- Poland-Belarus border crisis: Minsk 'temporarily' closes oil pipeline to EU Press TV 17 Nov 2021 -- Belarus has temporally closed a pipeline carrying oil supplies from Russia to a number of European Union member states, citing maintenance work.
- Poland Says No Danger Of Military Conflict On Border With Belarus, As Merkel Speaks With Lukashenka RFE/RL 17 Nov 2021 -- Polish President Andrzej Duda said that there is no danger of military conflict at its border with Belarus, where thousands of migrants from the Middle East are gathered, seeking to enter the European Union.
- US, EU threaten new sanctions against Belarus over migrant crisis Press TV 16 Nov 2021 -- The United States and the European Union (EU) have vowed to slap fresh sanctions against Belarus over simmering migrant crisis on the Belarusian border with Poland.
- U.S. Cybersecurity Researchers Link Belarusian Government To Hacking, Disinformation Campaign RFE/RL 16 Nov 2021 -- U.S. cybersecurity researchers say they have uncovered evidence that the Belarusian government is linked to a hacking and disinformation campaign against Eastern European NATO members.
- Polish Forces, Migrants Clash On Belarus Border; NATO Voices Concern RFE/RL 16 Nov 2021 -- Migrants trapped in Belarus have clashed with Polish soldiers at the border between the two countries, throwing rocks and debris at the heavily armed guards, who responded with water cannons, tear gas, and flash grenades as the situation at the EU and NATO's eastern border continues to worsen.
- Russia says ready to act as 'intermediary' in Belarus migrant crisis Press TV 15 Nov 2021 -- The Kremlin says Moscow is ready to act as an "intermediary" in the migrant crisis between its close ally Belarus and the European Union member Poland on their border.
- Poland urges NATO to take 'concrete steps' amid Belarus border crisis Press TV 15 Nov 2021 -- Poland has called on NATO to take "concrete steps" to resolve the refugee crisis on the country's border with Belarus, a move that is likely to heighten tensions in the region.
- EU To Ratchet Up Sanctions On Belarus Over Migrant Crisis RFE/RL 15 Nov 2021 -- The European Union moved closer to adopting a fresh package of sanctions against Belarus as Poland warned that more migrants were moving toward a border crossing amid an escalating diplomatic row between the bloc and authoritarian Belarusian ruler Alyaksandr Lukashenka.
- 'We Haven't Forgotten': One Year Later, Activists Of Minsk's Change Square Battle Feelings Of Anger, Disappointment RFE/RL 15 Nov 2021 -- On November 15, 2020, the last major protest took place on the informally dubbed Change Square, an apartment-bloc courtyard just north of the center of Minsk.
- Belarus says ready for dialogue with EU on migrant crisis People's Daily 14 Nov 2021 -- Press Secretary of the Belarusian President Natalya Eismont on Saturday told the media that Belarus is always ready for a dialogue with European Union politicians on the migrant crisis.
- Putin: Belarusian move to cut gas flows risks hurting bilateral ties People's Daily 14 Nov 2021 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Saturday that Belarus did not talk with him before raising the chance of cutting Russian natural gas flows to Europe, adding that such a move would risk harming bilateral ties between Moscow and Minsk and destabilizing the European energy market.
- Putin: Russia ready to help resolve migrant crisis on Belarus, Poland border Press TV 14 Nov 2021 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has said his country is fully prepared to help resolve a migrant crisis on the border between Belarus and Poland if necessary.
- Belarus to deploy Russian Iskander missile systems amid tensions with West: Lukashenko Press TV 14 Nov 2021 -- Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko says he plans to deploy Russian nuclear-capable Iskander missile systems in the south and west of the country, amid growing tensions with Brussels over a migrant crisis on the border with Poland.
- Polish PM Calls For 'Concrete Steps' From NATO Amid Migrant Crisis On Belarus Border RFE/RL 14 Nov 2021 -- Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki has called on NATO to take "concrete steps" to resolve the migrant crisis on the Belarusian border, adding that Poland, Lithuania, and Latvia may ask for consultations under Article 4 of the NATO treaty, which allows any ally to request consultations if it feels its territorial integrity, political independence or security is threatened.
- We must stand together for freedom and democracy UK FCDO 14 Nov 2021 -- Writing in the Sunday Telegraph, the Foreign Secretary says Russia has a responsibility to end the migrant crisis in Belarus.
- Putin says Russia 'has nothing to do' with Belarus-Poland border crisis Press TV 13 Nov 2021 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has denied accusations that Moscow is helping Belarus orchestrate the ongoing migrant crisis at its border with Poland, where hundreds of desperate migrants trying to cross into the European Union are stranded at freezing temperatures.
- Biden Says Situation On Poland-Belarus Border 'A Great Concern,' As Migrant Deaths Mount RFE/RL 13 Nov 2021 -- The U.S. and Russian presidents have publicly stepped into the debate over the mounting crisis on the Poland-Belarus border, where military movements and the discovery of a body overnight have highlighted the dangers as thousands of third-country migrants shelter in freezing conditions on the Belarusian side hoping to cross into the European Union.
- Belarus receives new batch of Chinese COVID-19 vaccines People's Daily 12 Nov 2021 -- China and Belarus signed a document on vaccine transfer after a new batch of coronavirus vaccines from China arrived here Thursday.
- Statement by the North Atlantic Council on the situation at the Poland-Belarus border NATO 12 Nov 2021 -- The North Atlantic Council strongly condemns the continued instrumentalisation of irregular migration artificially created by Belarus as part of hybrid actions targeted against Poland, Lithuania, and Latvia for political purposes.
- Belarus warns of harsh military response as migrant dispute persists Press TV 12 Nov 2021 -- Belarus has warned of a harsh military response to any attack, as tensions escalate over a migrant crisis on the border with Poland, which according to Minsk, is dragging Europe into a full-blown military conflict.
- Remarks by President Biden Before Marine One Departure The White House 12 Nov 2021
- Kremlin Lashes Out At West, Defends Troop Movements, As It Boosts Role In Belarus-EU Border Crisis RFE/RL 12 Nov 2021 -- The Kremlin has vowed to safeguard its borders in the face of actions by countries it accused of trying to "contain" Russia and sought to walk back a Belarusian threat of a cutoff of Russian natural gas to Western markets amid a Belarusian-EU border crisis.
- Ukraine To Send Personnel To Border With Poland To Share Intel On Belarus Migrant Crisis RFE/RL 12 Nov 2021 -- Ukraine says it is sending some of its border guards and national guard officers to its border with Poland to to share intelligence on the handling of the Belarus migrant crisis.
- In Belarus, Lukashenka's Government Targets Lawyers And The Legal Profession As A Whole RFE/RL 12 Nov 2021 -- At the beginning of the month, new government-sponsored amendments to the Belarusian Law on the Bar and Legal Advocacy came into effect that have been widely criticized as intended to impose government control over the legal profession and undermine its independence.
- Russia Dispatches Paratroopers to Belarus as Tensions Soar VOA 12 Nov 2021 -- Russia dispatched paratroopers Friday to the Belarus border near Poland, where hundreds of migrants are camped trying to cross into the European Union.
- Western Nations Condemn Belarus at UN Security Council VOA 11 Nov 2021 -- The United States and European members of the U.N. Security Council condemned Belarus on Thursday for what they called the "cynical instrumentalization of migrants," as tensions simmered along the Polish-Belarusian border.
- Poland Reports Clashes With Migrants Near Belarus Border Amid Fears Of Military Escalation RFE/RL 11 Nov 2021 -- European Union officials from countries bordering Belarus have warned the crisis could turn into a military clash as hundreds of migrants from the Middle East, Afghanistan, and Africa remain trapped along the frontier in freezing temperatures and with little food, attempting to enter Poland.
- Neighbors of Belarus warn migrant crisis might escalate into military confrontation Press TV 11 Nov 2021 -- Countries bordering Belarus have warned that the ongoing migration crisis, particularly at Poland's border with Belarus, may trigger a military confrontation on the European Union's eastern borders.
- UN voices concern about migrant crisis at Poland-Belarus border Press TV 11 Nov 2021 -- The United Nations (UN) has voiced concern about the ongoing migration crisis at Poland's border with Belarus, stressing that the issue should be settled based on international law and should not be used for political purposes.
- Russia sends bombers to overfly Belarus as Poland border crisis escalates Press TV 10 Nov 2021 -- Russia has dispatched strategic bomber planes to fly over Belarus, accusing the European Union (EU) of trying to "strangle" its close ally by shutting Poland's border to hundreds of desperate migrants trying to cross into the trade union.
- Merkel, Putin Hold Talks As Thousands Of Migrants Mass On Polish-Belarusian Border RFE/RL 10 Nov 2021 -- Hundreds of migrants have massed outdoors in freezing temperatures along a razor-wire border between Belarus and Poland, as thousands of Polish border guards sought to block their entry into the European Union member state.
- Explainer: What Is Lukashenka Doing On Belarus's Border - And What Can The EU Do About It? RFE/RL 10 Nov 2021 -- In recent months, thousands of migrants from the Middle East, South Asia, and Africa have attempted to illegally enter Poland and fellow EU members Latvia and Lithuania from Belarus, many of them after arriving in Minsk on the proliferating flights from those regions to the Belarusian capital.
- Poland Accuses Belarus of Terrorism at Border VOA 10 Nov 2021 -- Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki Wednesday accused Belarus of "state terrorism" regarding the migrant crisis at the border between the two nations.
- Resolve 'intolerable' Belarus-Poland border migrant crisis: UN rights chief UN News 10 Nov 2021 -- The UN Human Rights High Commissioner has urged Belarus and Poland to urgently resolve the burgeoning migrant crisis on their mutual border, where thousands of people have gathered in an attempt to enter the European Union (EU).
- Poland blackmailing Belarus with military deployment to border: Lukashenko Press TV 10 Nov 2021 -- Belarus' President Alexander Lukashenko has accused Poland of blackmailing his country by sending armored vehicles and troops to the border amid an escalation of a migration crisis.
- Belarusian Authorities Launch Probe Into Former Law Enforcement Officers' Group RFE/RL 10 Nov 2021 -- The Investigative Committee of Belarus has launched a probe against the BYPOL group, which unites former law enforcement officers who support opposition politicians.
- As Belarus Facilitates Migrant Crisis With EU, Putin Could See Chance To Use Clout RFE/RL 10 Nov 2021 -- As thousands of migrants stream into Belarus and toward its borders with Poland, Lithuania, and Latvia, fears are mounting that the former Soviet republic's strongman Alyaksandr Lukashenka is exploiting the desperation of new arrivals from the Middle East and Africa to settle scores with governments that have ostracized his regime.
- Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's opening remarks at a joint meeting of Russian and Belarusian foreign ministry collegiums, Moscow, November 10, 2021 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 10 Nov 2021
- EU imposes visa sanctions on Belarus amid migration crisis Press TV 09 Nov 2021 -- The European Union (EU) has suspended simplified visa application rules for Belarusian government officials in its latest response to an ongoing migration crisis at Poland's border with Belarus.
- EU Partially Suspends Visa Facilitation For Belarusian Officials RFE/RL 09 Nov 2021 -- The European Council has partially suspended its visa-facilitation agreement with Belarus over the "hybrid attack" Minsk has launched against the European Union by fostering a migrant crisis along the Poland-Belarus border.
- Poland Fears 'Armed Escalation' with Belarus as Migrants Mass on Frontier VOA 09 Nov 2021 -- Poland has warned of a possible armed escalation on its border with Belarus as thousands of migrants attempt to cross the frontier into the European Union.
- Uphold safety, human rights on Belarus-Poland border, UN agencies urge UN News 09 Nov 2021 -- With news footage showing migrants on the border between Belarus and Poland attempting to dodge teargas and make their way through razor wire, UN agencies called for an "immediate de-escalation", following weeks of rising tension.
- UN Aviation Agency Delays Report On Belarus's Diversion Of Ryanair Flight RFE/RL 09 Nov 2021 -- The UN's civil aviation agency has again delayed the results of a fact-finding mission into Belarus's' diversion of a Ryanair flight in order to arrest a dissident journalist.
- Poland Accuses Russia Of Backing Belarusian 'Attack' As Migrant Border Standoff Intensifies RFE/RL 09 Nov 2021 -- Poland has accused Belarus of staging an āattackā on its eastern border and Russian President Vladimir Putin of orchestrating an intensifying migration crisis to destabilize the European Union as hundreds of migrants remained trapped in the open in freezing temperatures at the bloc's eastern frontier.
- Belarus, Poland trade barbs over attempted crossings of asylum seekers Press TV 09 Nov 2021 -- Belarus has condemned Polish accusations of coordinating an unprecedented wave of asylum seekers attempting to illegally cross into Poland as "unfounded", warning against "any provocations" directed against Minsk.
- Poland, Belarus Spar About Migrants at Border VOA 09 Nov 2021 -- Poland and Belarus traded accusations Tuesday as a group of migrants remained on the Belarus side of the border between the two countries.
- Poland Fears 'Major Incident' As '3,000-4,000' Migrants On Belarusian Side Of Border RFE/RL 08 Nov 2021 -- EU members Poland and Lithuania say they are stepping up security at their borders with Belarus as Warsaw said that thousands of migrants were massing near the border in Belarus and footage on social media appeared to show hundreds of migrants walking toward the Polish frontier, raising fears of a possible mass breach.
- Tensions Soar on Poland-Belarus Border as Warsaw Protests Incursion VOA 05 Nov 2021 -- In a tit-for-tat round of recriminations, Belarus summoned Poland's top diplomat in Minsk on Thursday to protest claims made earlier this week by Warsaw that Belarusian border guards had threatened to open fire on a Polish patrol.
- Putin, Lukashenko sign Union State integration decree People's Daily 05 Nov 2021 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin and his Belarusian counterpart Alexander Lukashenko has signed an integration decree of the Union State, the Kremlin said on Thursday.
- Putin, Lukashenka Agree To 28 Union State 'Programs' RFE/RL 04 Nov 2021 -- The Russian and Belarusian leaders have signed off on a series of road maps aimed at deepening the integration of the two neighbors as part of a decades-old plan to create a "Union State," state media reported on November 4, as Minsk faces growing international pressure following last year's disputed presidential election.
- 35 OSCE Countries Demand Answers From Belarus On 'Serious' Rights Violations RFE/RL 04 Nov 2021 -- Dozens of member states of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) have invoked the so-called Vienna Mechanism to request answers from Belarus on "serious human rights violations and abuses" taking place in the country following a disputed presidential election in August 2020.
- Poland Says Belarusian Soldiers 'Threatened To Fire' On Border Troops RFE/RL 04 Nov 2021 -- Belarusian soldiers bringing illegal migrants to the border of Poland "threatened to open fire" on Polish troops, the Poland's Defense Ministry said on November 4, in what it described as the latest attempt by Minsk to escalate the situation at the frontier.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list