Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2021 - Belarus Special Weapons News
- US Embassy in Belarus Reduces Staff at Minsk's Request Sputnik 31 Aug 2021 -- The American Embassy in Belarus has had to further reduce its staff at Minsk's request, the diplomatic mission said.
- Poland Could Declare State of Emergency at Belarus Border VOA 31 Aug 2021 -- The Polish government has asked President Andrzej Duda to declare a state of emergency along the Poland-Belarus border.
- Polish Government Asks For 'State Of Emergency' Amid Migrant Surge From Belarus RFE/RL 31 Aug 2021 -- Poland's government has formally asked President Andrzej Duda to declare a state of emergency along parts of its border with Belarus amid a surge of migrants that Warsaw and its EU partners believe is being encouraged and facilitated by Alyaksandr Lukashenka's regime in Minsk.
- Verdicts Expected For Belarusian Opposition Figures Kalesnikava, Znak RFE/RL 31 Aug 2021 -- Verdicts and sentences will be handed down on September 6 in the trial of two leading Belarusian opposition figures, Maryya Kalesnikava and Maksim Znak, on conspiracy charges the United States has called "manufactured" amid an ongoing crackdown on pro-democracy activists and groups by authoritarian ruler Alyaksandr Lukashenka.
- Telephone conversation with President of Belarus Alexander Lukashenko President of Russia 30 Aug 2021
- A Year After Fleeing Belarus, Veranika Tsapkala Still Battling Lukashenka's 'Inhumane Regime' RFE/RL 27 Aug 2021 -- Veranika Tsapkala has been an integral part of the largely female-led push to unseat Alyaksandr Lukashenka, the authoritarian leader of Belarus since 1994.
- Belarus Closes Journalists' Association Amid Ongoing Crackdown On Media RFE/RL 27 Aug 2021 -- Belarus has ordered the closure of the country's largest independent journalists' organization as a crackdown on media and civil society intensifies following last year's disputed presidential election.
- Poland Calls On Belarus To Allow Aid Delivery To Stranded Migrants RFE/RL 26 Aug 2021 -- Poland has accused the Belarusian authorities of not allowing humanitarian assistance to be delivered to a group of about 30 migrants stranded on the border between the two countries.
- Poland Urged To Allow Entry For Afghans Stuck At Border With Belarus RFE/RL 25 Aug 2021 -- Amnesty International is urging Poland to allow entry and provide humanitarian assistance to a group of 32 people from Afghanistan who have been held at the border between Poland and Belarus without proper food, clean water, shelter, and medicine for two weeks.
- Lithuania Wants EU Sanctions On Belarus Over Migrant Inflow RFE/RL 24 Aug 2021 -- Lithuania says it has proposed that the European Union impose sanctions on Belarusian citizens and companies it says are helping migrants cross into the bloc.
- Belarusian Opposition Warns Europe That No One Safe From Lukashenka RFE/RL 23 Aug 2021 -- Belarusian opposition leader Svyatlana Tsikhanouskaya has called for increased support against authoritarian ruler Alyaksandr Lukashenka, saying his autocratic regime threatens to spread chaos across Europe.
- Poland To Erect Fence On Belarus Border Amid Migrant Inflow RFE/RL 23 Aug 2021 -- Poland says it will build a fence on its border with its eastern neighbor Belarus to stem a flow of migrants that European officials say is being driven by Minsk in retaliation for sanctions against the regime of authoritarian ruler Alyaksandr Lukashenka.
- EU Condemns Belarus's 'Aggressive Behavior' At Border RFE/RL 18 Aug 2021 -- The European Union has condemned what it called "aggressive behavior" by Belarus, accusing the country of conducting "a direct attack" by pushing asylum seekers across Belarus's border with the bloc.
- Police Search Homes Of Belarusian News Agency Staff RFE/RL 18 Aug 2021 -- Police in Minsk have searched the homes of several employees of BelaPAN, a private news agency, as a crackdown on independent media and pro-democracy activists in Belarus continues following last year's disputed presidential election that handed victory to authoritarian ruler Alyaksandr Lukashenka.
- Merkel Blasts Belarus For 'Using Refugees' To Undermine EU Security RFE/RL 17 Aug 2021 -- Germany has again accused Minsk of using refugees as political tools as the European Union pledged to shore up the bloc's border with Belarus to stop a surge in illegal crossings.
- U.S. Diplomat Calls On Lukashenka To Stop 'Irregular Migrant Flows' RFE/RL 14 Aug 2021 -- A top U.S. diplomat has called on Belarus to stop allowing migrants to illegally cross into Lithuania and other neighboring countries.
- Belarus Slaps 'Extremist' Label On Popular News Sites RFE/RL 13 Aug 2021 -- A court in Belarus has designated leading independent news outlet Tut.by and its new media site, Zerkalo.io, as "extremist."
- IMF Says Hands Tied Amid Calls To Limit Nearly $1 Billion Disbursement To Belarus RFE/RL 13 Aug 2021 -- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) says it's keeping "close watch" on the situation in Belarus amid calls for the global lender to deny Alyaksandr Lukashenka's government access to newly allocated funds intended to help countries navigate the coronavirus crisis.
- Former Belarusian Presidential Candidate Detained Amid Ongoing Crackdown On Dissent RFE/RL 12 Aug 2021 -- Belarusian authorities have detained more pro-democracy figures and activists amid an intensifying crackdown on opponents of authoritarian leader Alyaksandr Lukashenka.
- Belarus tells US to cut embassy staff due to 'hostile actions' Press TV 11 Aug 2021 -- Belarus has told the United States embassy in Minsk to reduce its staff against the backdrop of the latest sanctions imposed by Washington, the Belarusian Foreign Ministry says.
- Belarus Tells U.S. To Reduce Embassy Staff, Rejects Ambassador RFE/RL 11 Aug 2021 -- The regime of authoritarian Belarusian leader Alyaksandr Lukashenka has responded to the latest round of U.S. sanctions by requesting Washington to reduce its embassy staff in Minsk to five people by September 1.
- EU Welcomes Suspension Of Iraqi Flights To Belarus Amid Migrant Surge RFE/RL 10 Aug 2021 -- The European Union said on August 10 that it hopes for a stabilization of the migrant situation in Lithuania after Iraq suspended flights from Baghdad to Minsk.
- Belarus pres. Lukashenko dismisses UK, US sanctions, says London could 'choke on them' Press TV 09 Aug 2021 -- Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has decried new sanctions imposed by the United States and the United Kingdom on his country as part of attempts to pressure him to resign, saying London should "choke on" the restrictive measures.
- Statement by President Joseph R. Biden, Jr. on Belarus The White House 09 Aug 2021
- FACT SHEET: Executive Order Imposing Costs on Alyaksandr Lukashenka and Belarusian Authorities for Ongoing Attacks Against Democratic Freedoms, Human Rights, and International Norms The White House 09 Aug 2021
- Letter to the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the President of the Senate on Blocking Property of Additional Persons Contributing to the Situation in Belarus The White House 09 Aug 2021
- Executive Order on Blocking Property of Additional Persons Contributing to the Situation in Belarus The White House 09 Aug 2021
- Holding the Lukashenka Regime to Account on the Anniversary of the Fraudulent Presidential Belarusian Election US Dept. of State 09 Aug 2021 -- On the one-year anniversary of Belarus's fraudulent presidential election, the United States government has taken decisive action against forty-four individuals and entities in order to hold Alyaksandr Lukashenka and his regime to account for its continued, violent repression of Belarusians inside and outside the country.
- Treasury Holds the Belarusian Regime to Account on Anniversary of Fraudulent Election US Treasury 09 Aug 2021 -- Today, on the one-year anniversary of Belarus's fraudulent August 9, 2020 presidential election, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctioned 23 individuals and 21 entities pursuant to Executive Order (E.O.) 13405, as well as a new E.O. of August 9, 2021 "Blocking Property of Additional Persons Contributing to the Situation in Belarus" (E.O. of August 9, 2021) that expands Belarus sanctions authorities.
- Belarus: UK imposes significant new package of economic sanctions on Belarus on anniversary of fraudulent election UK FCDO 09 Aug 2021 -- The UK has imposed new sanctions on Belarus.
- US, Along With UK and Canada, Slaps More Sanctions on Belarus VOA 09 Aug 2021 -- The United States, in coordination with Britain and Canada, rolled out new sanctions on Belarus on Monday, the one-year anniversary of the start of protests in the eastern European country against elections that were widely seen as fraudulent.
- UK imposes 'significant' new sanctions on Belarus Press TV 09 Aug 2021 -- In a sign of sustained tensions between the UK and Belarus, the Foreign Office has announced the imposition of "significant new package of economic sanctions".
- West Tightens Sanctions On Belarus On Anniversary Of Disputed Vote RFE/RL 09 Aug 2021 -- Britain has slapped new trade and financial sanctions on Belarus on the first anniversary of a presidential election that authoritarian Belarusian leader Alyaksandr Lukashenka's opponents say was rigged so that he could extend his decades-long rule.
- Minsk Interested in Russian S-400 Air Defense Systems, Lukashenko Says Sputnik 09 Aug 2021 -- Minsk is interested in Russian S-400 air defence systems, Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko said on Monday, adding that he is sure that the country will receive the systems.
- Marches In Warsaw, Kyiv Protest Repression In Belarus On Eve Of Election Anniversary RFE/RL 08 Aug 2021 -- Hundreds of people marched in Warsaw to protest political repression in Belarus on the eve of the one-year anniversary of the Belarus presidential election that the opposition says was rigged in favor of authoritarian leader Alyaksandr Lukashenka.
- U.S. Ambassador Reaffirms Support For 'A More Democratic Belarus' RFE/RL 07 Aug 2021 -- The U.S. ambassador to Belarus has said that developments there in the year since a disputed presidential election spawned a popular democratic movement were "an incredibly momentous event in Belarus" driven by the desire of Belarusians "to have a voice in defining their future."
- Interview: As Crackdown Intensifies, British Historian Says Fate Has Long Been Cruel To Belarus RFE/RL 06 Aug 2021 -- As pro-democracy activists inside and outside of Belarus increasingly find themselves targeted by Alyaksandr Lukashenka's repressive machinery, British historian Norman Davies suggests that, in a way, things could have been worse: The country might not have come into existence as an independent state.
- EU Meeting To Discuss Surge Of Migrants From Belarus To Lithuania RFE/RL 06 Aug 2021 -- European Union home affairs ministers will discuss a surge of illegal border crossings from Belarus to EU member state Lithuania at an extraordinary meeting on August 18, the Slovenian EU Presidency said on August 6.
- Belarusian Opposition Leader Jailed For Three Months RFE/RL 06 Aug 2021 -- Belarusian opposition leader Mikalay Kazlou was sentenced to three months in jail on August 6 on charges that he disclosed information related to an official probe into an anti-regime crisis council that sprang up after Alyaksandr Lukashenka's disputed claim to a sixth presidential term one year ago.
- Poland Says Belarus Is Letting Migrants Cross Border In 'Hybrid War' With EU RFE/RL 05 Aug 2021 -- Poland has accused Belarus of sending a growing number of migrants over the border in retaliation for Warsaw's decision this week to give refuge to Belarusian athlete Krystsina Tsimanouskaya who refused to return home from the Tokyo Olympics and arrived in Warsaw overnight under Polish diplomatic protection.
- EU Summons Belarus Envoy, Seeks Iraqi Help Over Migrant Crisis At Lithuania's Border RFE/RL 05 Aug 2021 -- The European Union has summoned Belarus's top diplomat in Brussels and talked to Iraqi officials about suspending that country's flights to Minsk amid accusations that Belarus has "weaponized" migrants to create problems at the bloc's eastern border.
- Belarusian Authorities Shut Down Four More NGOs In Widening Clampdown RFE/RL 04 Aug 2021 -- Belarusian authorities have shut down four more nongovernmental organizations in Minsk as Alyaksandr Lukashenka's crackdown against pro-democracy activists, independent media, and civil rights groups continues.
- Leading Belarusian Opposition Figures Go On Trial In Minsk RFE/RL 04 Aug 2021 -- The closed-door trial of two leading Belarusian opposition figures began in Minsk on August 4 over charges stemming from their calls for protests against the official results of last year's widely discredited presidential election.
- Belarusian Opposition Leader Tsikhanouskaya Says She Knows She 'Can Disappear At Any Moment' RFE/RL 03 Aug 2021 -- Belarusian opposition leader Svyatlana Tsikhanouskaya has said that she understands she "can disappear at any moment" as a result of her resistance to strongman Alyaksandr Lukashenka, but that the movement against his rule will "continue without me."
- Ukrainian Police Open Murder Case After Finding Missing Belarusian Activist 'Hanged' RFE/RL 03 Aug 2021 -- Ukrainian police said on August 3 that they have launched a murder case after finding missing Belarusian activist Vital Shyshou dead in a park near his home in Kyiv.
- IOC Launches Probe Into Attempt To Force Belarusian Athlete To Go Home RFE/RL 03 Aug 2021 -- The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has launched a formal investigation into Belarusian officials' alleged attempt to force sprinter Krystsina Tsimanouskaya home from the Tokyo Games, sparking her appeal to the international community for protection.
- Lithuania Approves 'Use Of Force' To Keep Migrants Out At Belarusian Border RFE/RL 03 Aug 2021 -- Authorities in EU member Lithuania say their border guards have been ordered to turn back migrants attempting to illegally enter the country as a crisis continues amid a surge in crossings from neighboring Belarus.
- Belarusian Journalist Sentenced To 18 Months In Prison For 'Insulting' Lukashenka RFE/RL 02 Aug 2021 -- A Belarusian journalist has been sentenced to 18 months in prison after being found guilty of insulting the country's authoritarian leader, Alyaksandr Lukashenka, and slandering two police officers.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list