23 July 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- DHS to Cancel Laredo Sector Border Barrier Contracts DHS 23 Jul 2021 -- Today, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced that U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is terminating two border barrier contracts in the Laredo Sector that are not necessary to address any life, safety, environmental, or other remediation requirements, as described in the DHS Border Wall Plan implementing President Biden's Proclamation.
- U.S. Software Company Gets Key To Unlock Data Affected By Ransomware Attack RFE/RL 23 Jul 2021 -- The U.S. company whose software was exploited in a recent global ransomware attack has received a universal key needed to decrypt the data belonging to the more than 1,000 businesses and public organizations affected by the attack.
- New Zealand, China Clash Over Hacking Claims VOA 23 Jul 2021 -- New Zealand's trade minister said Thursday he does not expect Chinese economic retaliation to increasing tensions over claims of Chinese cyberhacking. China this week called on New Zealand to "abandon [its] Cold War mentality" after New Zealand's government criticized Beijing for supporting hacking following a cyberattack on tech giant Microsoft.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- US Buys 200 Million More COVID-19 Vaccine Doses VOA 23 Jul 2021 -- The United States says it is buying 200 million more doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine to anticipate future needs, including the possibility of booster shots as well as doses for children under 12 if regulators approve its use.
- China says 'no' to US smears over COVID-19; 'WHO's phase-II plan caters to US' lab leak theory' Global Times 23 Jul 2021 -- China says "no" to those in the US who have used the COVID-19 issue to smear China, as their practice revealed their disregard for common sense and arrogance towards science, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Friday, after the White House said the US was disappointed by China rejecting the World Health Organization's (WHO) latest COVID-19 origins study plan.
- China rejects WHO's phase-2 COVID-19 origins study, calling it 'lack of respect for common sense, arrogant toward science' Global Times 23 Jul 2021 -- While calling the World Health Organization (WHO)'s second phase study proposal on COVID-19 origins lacking respect to common sense and arrogant to science, Chinese health officials and observers on Thursday said China will not accept such a plan and the next stage study should be carried out in more countries and places around the world on the basis of wide consultations among member states, not in places that have already been inspected.
- Vaccines still effective as vaccinated COVID-19 cases in Nanjing outbreak show mild symptoms: expert Global Times 23 Jul 2021 -- Despite that nearly all COVID-19 cases in the latest outbreak in Nanjing, Jiangsu Province, had received vaccines, experts are assured that the vaccines are effective in protecting people from the virus, especially in avoiding serious illness and hospitalization.
- Over 1.5 bln doses of COVID-19 vaccines administered in China People's Daily 23 Jul 2021 -- More than 1.5 billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered in China as of Thursday, the National Health Commission announced on Friday.
- Chinese mainland reports 12 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 23 Jul 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Thursday reported 48 new COVID-19 cases, of which 36 were imported and 12 were locally transmitted, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Friday.
- Italy Extends Its COVID-19 State of Emergency to Dec. 31 VOA 23 Jul 2021 -- Italy on Thursday announced new anti-COVID 19 measures as infections have started rising again, mainly due to the highly contagious delta variant. The number of new coronavirus infections has doubled in the past week, with the country now recording more than 5,000 new cases daily. With fears that the number will continue to grow, Italian Prime Minister Mario Draghi on Thursday evening outlined new rules that will go into effect Aug. 6 and continue through Dec. 31.
- India's Cumulative COVID-19 Vaccination Coverage crossed landmark milestone of 42 Cr India PIB 23 Jul 2021 -- India's COVID-19 vaccination coverage crossed 42crores landmark yesterday
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update- Day 189 India PIB 23 Jul 2021 -- India's cumulative COVID Vaccination Coverage has exceeded 42.75 crore (42,75,00,272), as per the 7 pm provisional report today. The new phase of universalization of COVID-19 vaccination commenced from 21st June.
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update India PIB 23 Jul 2021 -- The Union Government is committed to accelerating the pace and expanding the scope of COVID-19 vaccination throughout the country
- COVID-19 UPDATE India PIB 23 Jul 2021
- More than 80 Lakh patients served through Central Government's eSanjeevani initiative India PIB 23 Jul 2021 -- Government of India's National Telemedicine Service, eSanjeevani is gaining popularity amongst the public.
- Assistance to States to Fight Covid-19 India PIB 23 Jul 2021 -- All the States/UTs are provided with necessary financial support to check the COVID-19 Pandemic.Under India COVID-19 Emergency Response and Health System Preparedness Package, an amount of Rs 15,000 Cr has been approved by Cabinet on 22nd April 2020.
Under the Package, during the FY 2020-21, funds to the tune of Rs 8257.88 Cr have been released to the State/UTs through National Health Mission (NHM) framework
- US Ships Moderna Vaccine to Pakistan Amid Delta Variant Surge VOA 23 Jul 2021 -- As Pakistan deals with a surge in COVID-19 cases due to the delta variant, the Biden administration is sending 3 million doses of the Moderna coronavirus vaccine Friday, set to arrive in the country Sunday.
- COVID-19 kills 210 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 23 Jul 2021 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 88,273 with 210 more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Friday.
- Supreme Leader receives 2nd dose of Iranian COVID vaccine IRNA 23 Jul 2021 -- Supreme Leader of Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei received the second dose of Iran-made COVID-19 vaccine.
- Leader urges vaccine self-reliance, says grievances valid Press TV 23 Jul 2021 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has blamed the disruption in people's access to coronavirus vaccines on breach of promises by foreign vaccine sellers, reiterating his call for self-reliance in vaccine production.
- Taiwan reports 24 new COVID-19 cases, to lower alert level CNA 23 Jul 2021 -- Taiwan on Friday reported 24 new COVID-19 infections -- 23 transmitted domestically and one contracted overseas -- and laid out updated disease control measures as it prepares to lower the nationwide Level 3 COVID-19 alert to Level 2 from July 27.
- Taiwan to lower COVID-19 alert to Level 2, further ease restrictions CNA 23 Jul 2021 -- Government restrictions will be further relaxed to allow more social activity after the current COVID-19 alert is lowered to Level 2 on July 27, Health Minister Chen Shih-chung (é™³æ™‚ä¸) said Friday.
- Border controls to remain despite lowering of COVID-19 alert CNA 23 Jul 2021 -- Taiwan will lower the nationwide COVID-19 alert to Level 2 on July 27 to ease local disease prevention measures, but will still maintain tight border controls, Health Minister Chen Shih-chung (é™³æ™‚ä¸) said during a press conference Friday.
- Taiwan opens appointments for second COVID-19 vaccine jab CNA 23 Jul 2021 -- The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Friday that anyone who has had their first COVID-19 vaccine jab can now make an appointment for a second shot provided that 10-12 weeks have passed since their first shot.
- Taiwan to ease domestic travel rules as COVID numbers stabilize CNA 23 Jul 2021 -- Taiwan will loosen its travel restrictions to allow larger domestic tour groups, when the nationwide COVID-19 alert is lowered to Level 2 on July 27, the Tourism Bureau said Friday.
- New batch of China's Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine arrives in Myanmar People's Daily 23 Jul 2021 -- A new batch of China's Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine and related materials arrived in Myanmar's Yangon on Thursday, according to a release from the Chinese Embassy in Myanmar.
- Myanmar Faces COVID-19 Surge Amid Political Crisis VOA 23 Jul 2021 -- Myanmar, already on the brink of widespread civil war after February's coup, is facing another crisis as COVID-19 cases surge.
- Philippines receives more Sinovac vaccines from China People's Daily 23 Jul 2021 -- China delivered an additional batch of Sinovac CoronaVac vaccines to the Philippines on Friday to support the Southeast Asian country's campaign against the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Sri Lanka receives another batch of Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccines from China People's Daily 23 Jul 2021 -- Sri Lanka on Thursday received another batch of the Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccines from China.
- Rising COVID Cases in Port Sudan Could Be Caused by Delta Variant VOA 23 Jul 2021 -- Health authorities in Sudan's Red Sea state town of Port Sudan say they have seen a significant increase in the number of COVID-19 cases in recent days and suspect the rise is due to the highly contagious delta variant.
- New Zealand Suspends Quarantine-Free Travel with Australia VOA 23 Jul 2021 -- As Australia struggles to bring an outbreak of the highly contagious COVID-19 delta variant under control, New Zealand has announced the suspension of its quarantine-free travel arrangement with Australia.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|