16 May 2021 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Worldwide coronavirus cases cross 162.12 million SPA 16 May 2021 -- More than 162.12 million people have been reported to be infected by the novel coronavirus globally and 3,501,505 have died, according to a Reuters tally.
- Share excess COVID-19 vaccines now, UNICEF chief says ahead of G7 summit UN News 16 May 2021 -- The deadly increase in COVID-19 cases in India could potentially occur elsewhere if vulnerable countries do not have access to vaccines, the head of the UN Children's Fund, UNICEF, warned on Monday in a bid to get richer nations to share their excess doses.
- US Nurses Union Condemns CDC Mask Ruling VOA 16 May 2021 -- The largest U.S. union of registered nurses has condemned the Centers for Disease Control's recent announcement that fully vaccinated people do not need to wear masks in most settings.
- Top US Health Official 'Cautiously Optimistic' in Fight Against Coronavirus VOA 16 May 2021 -- A top U.S. health official said Sunday she is "cautiously optimistic" that the U.S. is on the path to controlling the coronavirus pandemic.
- Over one-third U.S. states, some businesses ending COVID-19 mask mandates People's Daily 16 May 2021 -- Eighteen states in the United States and some major-label businesses have announced plans as of Saturday to drop public mask mandates either immediately or in the weeks to come, but other states such as California, New York and New Jersey are moving forward with caution.
- New resurgence increases China's vaccination momentum as one-third provincial-level regions have inoculation rate below 20% Global Times 16 May 2021 -- Videos and pictures of long queues of people lining up to receive COVID-19 vaccinations during the late night in strong winds and heavy rains in both East China's Anhui and Northeast China's Liaoning provinces vividly illustrates that many Chinese people who balk at getting a shot is not due to a lack of confidence in the country's vaccines, but because they feel safe enough that they didn't need, nor were in a great hurry, to be inoculated.
- China's new outbreak may originate from port city; full measures taken to prevent virus spread Global Times 16 May 2021 -- Yingkou, Northeast China's Liaoning Province is in the spotlight as epidemiologists believe that the recent resurgence of sporadic COVID-19 cases may have originated from the port city, which has imposed strict traffic control and anti-epidemic measures to prevent COVID-19 from spreading.
- New domestic COVID-19 infections likely originated from NE China port city: top epidemiologist Global Times 16 May 2021 -- The recent resurgence of sporadic COVID-19 cases in China may have originated from the port city of Yingkou, Northeastern China's Liaoning Province, and have links to imported cases, a top Chinese epidemiologist said, as local authorities have yet to determine the source of infection.
- Nearly 393 mln COVID-19 vaccine doses administered across China People's Daily 16 May 2021 -- More than 392.9 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines had been administered across China as of Saturday, the National Health Commission said Sunday.
- China's Liaoning reports 4 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 May 2021 -- Northeast China's Liaoning Province reported four confirmed COVID-19 cases and five asymptomatic carriers on Saturday, all locally transmitted, said the provincial health commission.
- China's Anhui reports no new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 May 2021 -- East China's Anhui Province on Saturday reported no new confirmed, suspected or asymptomatic COVID-19 cases, the provincial health commission said Sunday.
- Chinese mainland reports 4 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 May 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Saturday reported four new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases in Liaoning Province, the National Health Commission said in its daily report on Sunday.
- Working group sent to guide COVID-19 control in Liaoning People's Daily 16 May 2021 -- The National Health Commission (NHC) has dispatched a working group to guide the COVID-19 prevention and control efforts in northeast China's Liaoning Province, the NHC said on Sunday.
- COVID-19 control cranked up after sporadic cases reported People's Daily 16 May 2021 -- The more than 100,000 people who were given nucleic acid tests in Feixi County in east China's Anhui Province on Saturday tested negative for COVID-19.
- China's Liaoning reports one new locally transmitted COVID-19 case People's Daily 16 May 2021 -- Northeast China's Liaoning Province reported one new confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 case in the first 12 hours of Sunday in the provincial capital Shenyang, according to the provincial health commission.
- Germany's confirmed coronavirus cases rise by 8,500 SPA 16 May 2021 -- The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Germany increased by 8,500 to 3,593,434, data from the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) for infectious diseases showed on Sunday, according to Reuters.
- 'Indian Variant' Worries UK Government Advisers VOA 16 May 2021 -- The British government is hoping to vaccinate up to a million people a day in a bid to keep the country on track for a gradual relaxation of coronavirus pandemic restrictions.
- More than 20 crore vaccine doses provided to States/UTs Free of Cost by Govt. of India, so far India PIB 16 May 2021 -- Vaccination forms an integral component of the comprehensive strategy of Government of India of containment and management of the pandemic (including Test, Track, Treat and COVID Appropriate Behaviour)
- 24-hour Recoveries Outnumber Daily New COVID Cases for Fifth Time in last 6 Days India PIB 16 May 2021 -- India's cumulative recoveries have reached 2,07,95,335 today. The National Recovery Rate is 84.25%.
- Update on COVID Relief Aid India PIB 16 May 2021 -- In a spirit of goodwill and solidarity for India, the international community is supporting efforts by Government of India to combat the ongoing COVID-19
- Oxygen Expresses deliver more than 9440 MT of Liquid Medical Oxygen to the Nation India PIB 16 May 2021 -- Overcoming all hurdles and finding new solutions, Indian Railways is continuing its journey of bringing relief by delivering Liquid Medical Oxygen(LMO) to various states across the country
- India Reports 311,170 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 16 May 2021 -- India reported 311,170 new COVID-19 cases, along with 4,077 deaths during the past 24 hours.
- Iran to vaccinate 14m citizens against COVID-19 by end of June: Minister IRNA 16 May 2021 -- Iranian Minister of Health Saeed Namaki said on Sunday that the country will vaccinate some 13 to 14 million citizens against COVID-19 by the end of June.
- COVID-19 kills 303 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 16 May 2021 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran exceeded 76,936 with 303 more Iranians who died from the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Sunday.
- Republic of Korea: COVID-19 new cases in 600s for 2nd day SPA 16 May 2021 -- The Republic of Korea's daily new coronavirus cases stayed in the 600s for the second consecutive day on Sunday, Yonhap reported.
- New record of 206 domestic COVID-19 cases reported in Taiwan (update) CNA 16 May 2021 -- Taiwan on Sunday confirmed 207 new cases of COVID-19, of which 206 were classified as domestic infections, the highest number ever recorded in the country in a single day since the pandemic began.
- CECC urges awareness of COVID-19 contact tracing scam CNA 16 May 2021 -- The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) has received reports of scammers pretending to be from local health authorities in order to obtain people's personal information, officials said Sunday.
- Mild COVID patients should stay home due to lack of isolation wards CNA 16 May 2021 -- The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Sunday called on people with only mild COVID-19 symptoms in the greater Taipei region to stay at home instead of seeking medical attention at hospitals, due to limited numbers of isolation wards there following a hike in confirmed patient numbers in Taipei and New Taipei.
- Taiwan introduces control measures amid spike in local COVID-19 cases CNA 16 May 2021 -- Taiwan on Sunday rolled out a slew of COVID-19 control measures for medical institutions amid the country's surging domestic infections of the virus, including lowering hospital outpatient intake and ordering patients to have a test for the virus before being hospitalized.
- Taiwan island sees record COVID-19 surge; DPP fails in virus control Global Times 16 May 2021 -- The island of Taiwan is seeing a surge in COVID-19 cases, highlighting the pro-secessionism Democratic Progressive Party's (DPP) negligence. Although some have called for semi-official cooperation with the Chinese mainland on vaccines and epidemic control, it's very likely that the DPP will refuse the mainland's kindness.
- Emergency Anti-epidemic Work Intensified in DPRK KCNA 16 May 2021 -- All fields and units are further intensifying emergency anti-epidemic work in the DPRK.
- Lebanon Records 307 New Cases of Covid-19 SPA 16 May 2021 -- Lebanon recorded, in the past 24 hours, 307 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) and 18 deaths as well.
- Jordan Detects 809 New Coronavirus Infections SPA 16 May 2021 -- Jordan reported as many as 809 new cases of the novel Coronavirus, raising the overall toll of infections to 724,154.
- Palestine Reports 169 New Covid-19 Infections SPA 16 May 2021 -- Palestine reported, in the last 24-hour, 169 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) and five deaths as well.
- Oman: 2788 Covid-19 New Cases SPA 16 May 2021 -- As many as 2788 new cases of coronavirus (Covid-19) were registered in the Sultanate of Oman during the period from Tuesday 11 May till Saturday 15 May, in addition to 45 new Covid-19-related death cases, Oman News Agency (ONA) cited the Ministry of Health.
- Brazil registers 67,009 new cases of coronavirus SPA 16 May 2021 -- Brazil recorded 67,009 additional confirmed cases of coronavirus in the past 24 hours, along with 2,087 deaths from COVID-19, the Health Ministry said, according to Reuters.
- Uganda Strives to Keep COVID-19 Out of Refugee Population VOA 16 May 2021 -- Uganda's refugee population has reported no cases of COVID-19. In Bidibidi settlement, Yumbe district, the refugee leaders are working tirelessly to maintain the status quo.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|