23 September 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- US Adversaries, Cybercriminals Put 2020 Election Results in Their Crosshairs VOA 23 Sep 2020 -- U.S. election security officials are bracing the American public for a new type of worst-case scenario for the Nov. 3 presidential election â€” a flood of disinformation in the hours after the polls close, casting doubt on the results and on the process itself, as voters wait to learn who will lead the country for the next four years.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Countries urged to act against COVID-19 â€˜infodemic' UN News 23 Sep 2020 -- The UN and partners have urged countries to take urgent action to address what they have described as the "infodemic" that has surfaced in tandem with the COVID-19 pandemic, both in the real world and online.
- Impact on workers of COVID-19 is â€˜catastrophic': ILO UN News 23 Sep 2020 -- COVID-19 has had a "catastrophic" impact on workers, the head of the International Labour Organization (ILO) said on Wednesday, with lost working hours higher than originally forecast, and equivalent to 495 million full-time jobs globally in the second quarter of the year.
- Remarks by President Trump in Press Briefing The White House 23 Sep 2020
- US virus deaths top 200k amid warnings current toll â€˜tip of the iceberg' Press TV 23 Sep 2020 -- The United States has hit the grim milestone of 200,000 coronavirus deaths, with health officials saying that what is happening is just "the tip of the iceberg."
- U.S. CDC Reports 200,275 Coronavirus Deaths SPA 23 Sep 2020 -- The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) today, on Wednesday reported 6,874,982 cases of the new coronavirus, an increase of 49,285 cases from its previous count, and said that the number of deaths had risen by 813 to 200,275, according to Reuters.
- US Surpasses 200,000 COVID-19 Deaths VOA 23 Sep 2020 -- Volunteers planted 20,000 miniature U.S. flags on the grounds of the Washington Monument in the nation's capital Tuesday, the day the nation reached 200,000 COVID-19 deaths.
- Medical brigade supports COVID-19 drive-thru testing Army News 23 Sep 2020 -- The 1st Medical Brigade, 13th Expeditionary Sustainment Command, has been crucial in supporting COVID-19 testing and mitigation efforts in Texas and across the United States since March. As they assist Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center, Fort Hood, Texas, in the fight against COVID-19, they continue to solidify themselves as the premier medical brigade in the Army.
- Statement on the Department's Use of Defense Production Act Title III DoD 23 Sep 2020 -- "As indicated by recent reporting, there appears to be a misunderstanding by some about what the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act ("CARES" Act) did and did not do with respect to the Department of Defense. As Speaker Pelosi said on March 27, in support of the CARES Act passage, this bill was about "moving on to mitigating some of the economic and health damage caused by it [sic] this pandemic."
- Experts warn COVID-19 may surge in fall, winter as death toll in US tops 200,000 Global Times 23 Sep 2020 -- Leading experts warned that COVID-19 cases may surge in fall and winter in the United States as the pandemic has caused over 200,000 deaths as of Tuesday.
- Pence praises Trump's coronavirus response, says things could've been worse Press TV 23 Sep 2020 -- Vice President Mike Pence has praised US President Donald Trump over his response to the coronavirus pandemic, saying that things could have been worse.
- FDA Chief Says Science Will Guide US Coronavirus Vaccine Approval VOA 23 Sep 2020 -- The head of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said Wednesday "science will guide our decisions" as the agency decides whether to give full or emergency authorization to a coronavirus vaccine.
- Johnson & Johnson Launches Final-Stage COVID-19 Vaccine Trial VOA 23 Sep 2020 -- Johnson & Johnson said Wednesday it has launched the final stage of a single-shot COVID-19 vaccine trial the company hopes will determine if the vaccine is safe and effective by the end of the year or early next year.
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 23 Sep 2020
- Xi reaffirms COVID-19 pledges at UN assembly Global Times 23 Sep 2020 -- In stark contrast to the US who apparently turned the UN General Assembly - a multilateral dialogue platform--into a battlefield to attack and defame China, China stressed putting people and lives first in battling COVID-19, and that major countries should act like major countries by taking up their due responsibility and live up to people's expectations.
- Chinese COVID-19 vaccine producers speed up clinical trials Global Times 23 Sep 2020 -- Chinese vaccine producers are accelerating clinical trials for COVID-19 vaccine candidates and preparing for full-speed production once a product is approved to enter the market.
- China halts frozen seafood imports from Norwegian firm after COVID-19 found on packaging Global Times 23 Sep 2020 -- China has suspended frozen seafood imports from a Norwegian company for a week after tests for COVID-19 came back positive on the packaging of its seafood.
- Britain Imposes Pub Curfew as Coronavirus Cases Soar VOA 23 Sep 2020 -- Britain became the latest European country to impose restrictions on socializing Wednesday following a sharp rise in coronavirus transmission rates. The number of new cases is roughly doubling every week, and the chief medical officer has warned of 50,000 new infections daily by mid-October if the pattern continues.
- British Prime Minister Defends COVID-19 Testing VOA 23 Sep 2020 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson defended his government's COVID-19 testing plan Wednesday as opposition members in parliament claimed the government lost control of the virus when it lost control of testing.
- Belgium Eases COVID-19 Restrictions Despite Surging Cases VOA 23 Sep 2020 -- Belgium's prime minister announced Wednesday she was lifting the nation's mandatory outdoor mask requirement and easing other COVID-19-related restrictions, despite recent surges in new virus cases in the nation.
- COVID-19 fight requires global cooperation: German chancellor People's Daily 23 Sep 2020 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel called for global cooperation to fight the coronavirus pandemic in a video message for the 75th anniversary of the United Nations (UN), CNN reported Monday.
- Russia Reports 6,431 New Coronavirus Cases, 150 Deaths SPA 23 Sep 2020 -- Russia on Wednesday reported 6,431 new coronavirus cases in the last 24 hours, its highest daily increase since July 13, according to Reuters.
- India maintains trend of High Recoveries India PIB 23 Sep 2020 -- With its focussed strategies and effective, coordinated and proactive measures, India is reporting steep increase in recoveries. New recoveries in India have exceeded the new cases for the fifth consecutive day.
- UPDATES on COVID-19 India PIB 23 Sep 2020 -- India's testing capacity has surged to more than 12 lakh daily tests. Higher than 6.6 cr total tests have been conducted across the country. A high level of testing leads to early identification of positive cases. As evidence has revealed, eventually Positivity Rate will fall.
- Setting up of COVID Hospitals India PIB 23 Sep 2020 -- For appropriate management of COVID-19 cases, Government of India has advised State governments to setup a three-tier arrangement of health facilities exclusively for COVID.
- COVID-19 Treatment under Ayushman Bharat Yojana India PIB 23 Sep 2020 -- Under Ayushman Bharat -Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB PMJAY), as of 21.09.2020, over 1.26 Crore hospital admission have been authorised since its inception. Out of these 5.13 lakh hospital admissions have been authorized towards testing and treatment of COVID-19.
- Purchase of ventilators for COVID-19 India PIB 23 Sep 2020 -- The government of India has placed the following orders for supply of essential medical equipment during the period January, 2020 to till date:
- Official: 184 more Iranians die from COVID-19 over past 24 hours IRNA 23 Sep 2020 -- Some 184 people in Iran have died as a result of the coronavirus disease over the past 24 hours, Iranian Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Wednesday.
- Tokyo Reports 59 New Virus Cases, Lowest in Almost 3 Months SPA 23 Sep 2020 -- Tokyo confirmed Wednesday an additional 59 coronavirus infections, marking the lowest daily figure in nearly three months, as the government has in recent days eased restrictions on social and business activities, Kyodo News reported.
- Health Ministry Spokesman: 1102 Recoveries from COVID-19 in Saudi Arabia, Tally at 313,786 SPA 23 Sep 2020 -- Assistant Minister of Health and Official Spokesman of the Ministry of Health Dr. Muhammad Al-Abdulaali said in a press conference today that 561 new confirmed cases of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 331,359 cases, including 13,004 active cases receiving necessary medical care. Of these, there are 1,095 critical cases, while the health condition of the rest is stable.
- Taiwan to end COVID-19 tests on Philippine arrivals with no symptoms CNA 23 Sep 2020 -- The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) has decided to suspend the COVID-19 testing of all travelers arriving from the Philippines, except for those with symptoms, beginning Thursday, but said it will require all travelers from the Philippines be tested before their mandatory 14-day quarantine period ends.
- 18 Filipinos, 1 Japanese confirmed with COVID-19 after leaving Taiwan CNA 23 Sep 2020 -- Nineteen people -- 18 Filipinos and one Japanese -- tested positive for COVID-19 after leaving Taiwan recently, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Wednesday, adding that it could not establish that they had been infected in Taiwan.
- UN says over 200,000 refugee children out of school in Ethiopia due to COVID-19 Global Times 23 Sep 2020 -- The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) on Tuesday said more than 200,000 refugee children are out of school in Ethiopia due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
- Canadians at crossroads to stem spread of COVID-19: health official Global Times 23 Sep 2020 -- Canadians will decide whether there is a second wave of COVID-19 as the country is at a crossroads in its fight against the pandemic, according to the projections by the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) on Tuesday.
- Argentina registers record daily deaths from COVID-19 People's Daily 23 Sep 2020 -- Argentina reported a record daily increase of 470 in COVID-19 deaths, taking the death toll to 13,952, the Health Ministry said Tuesday.
- Turkmen Inaction Worsening Food Crisis Amid Pandemic, Rights Groups Warn RFE/RL 23 Sep 2020 -- The Turkmen government's inaction in response to the economic fallout of the COVID-19 pandemic has drastically worsened the country's preexisting food crisis, Human Rights Watch (HRW) and the exile group Turkmenistan Initiative for Human Rights (TIHR) said.
- UN stands ready to support landlocked nations in pandemic recovery UN News 23 Sep 2020 -- The UN system is standing in solidarity with landlocked developing countries, which lack access to vital trade links, and supporting them in their efforts to rebuild once the global coronavirus pandemic abates, Secretary-General AntÃ³nio Guterres said on Wednesday.
- Australia Relaxes Internal COVID-19 Border Restrictions As Infections Fall VOA 23 Sep 2020 -- Australia's internal borders are to gradually reopen as COVID-19 infections continue to fall. South Australia and Queensland are easing restrictions with the neighboring state, New South Wales, for the first time in months. Australia has recorded about 27,000 coronavirus cases since the pandemic began, and more than 850 people have died.
- Myanmar Election Crowds Defy Coronavirus Restrictions at Campaign Events Radio Free Asia 23 Sep 2020 -- Myanmar's election authorities are calling on political parties to rein in large crowds of supporters defying coronavirus prevention rules that limit public gatherings to 50 people, but parties say they are unable to stop turnout as the race for Nov. 8 elections heats up.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|