17 June 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- 2016 Theft of Top Secret CIA Info 'Occurred Due to Agency's Woefully Lax Security Protocols' Sputnik 17 Jun 2020 -- A leak, revealed in 2017, apparently was the largest theft of data in CIA history, given that a total of 34 terabytes of information was reportedly compromised.
- US Air Force Sergeant Charged in Murder of Federal Courthouse Officer in California VOA 17 Jun 2020 -- A U.S. Air Force sergeant with ties to an anti-government extremist group has been charged in the shooting death of a federal courthouse security officer in Oakland, California.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 149 WHO 17 Jun 2020
- WHO Emergencies Press Conference on coronavirus disease outbreak - 17 June 2020 WHO 17 Jun 2020
- Welcoming early results on use of dexamethasone in sickest COVID-19 patients, WHO warns it's 'no cure-all' UN News 17 Jun 2020 -- The UN World Health Organization (WHO) on Wednesday hailed news from the United Kingdom that a common steroid, dexamethasone, can potentially help save the lives of patients with severe cases of COVID-19, but it warned that it is by no means a cure-all.
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 17 Jun 2020
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Announces Lowest Percentage of Positive COVID-19 Test Results since Pandemic Began New York State 17 Jun 2020
- China Imposes New Coronavirus Restrictions To Control New Outbreak VOA 17 Jun 2020 -- China's capital imposed new coronavirus restrictions Wednesday to try to control a new outbreak, while Brazil reported a record daily increase in confirmed cases and the number of deaths in the United States surpassed those the country suffered in World War One.
- How the Coronavirus Turned Southeast Asia into China's Top Trade Partner VOA 17 Jun 2020 -- A bloc of Southeast Asian countries has become China's biggest trading partner this year as economic activity picks up on both sides while slowing in wealthier parts of the world because of coronavirus outbreaks.
- Extraordinary China-Africa Summit on Solidarity against COVID-19 starts, Xi chairs PLA Daily 17 Jun 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday chaired the Extraordinary China-Africa Summit on Solidarity against COVID-19 in Beijing.
- China Pledges to Cancel African Debt Amid COVID-19 Outbreak, President Says Sputnik 17 Jun 2020 -- China will cancel the debt of several African countries in the form of interest-free government loans and will accelerate the construction of the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) headquarters, Chinese President Xi Jinping said on Wednesday, amid the global coronavirus disease epidemic.
- Beijing beefs up testing ability Global Times 17 Jun 2020 -- Beijing has conducted nucleic acid tests on 356,000 people since Saturday, said a government official, noting that the city will round up key groups for testing, such as medical workers, those who live around residential compounds where confirmed infected people reside, and teachers and students who have already returned to school.
- Man cleaning frozen seafood at Tianjin Conrad hotel catches COVID-19 virus Global Times 17 Jun 2020 -- Tianjin reported one new confirmed COVID-19 case on Wednesday night, a 22-year-old man working at Tianjin's Conrad hotel. The patient has been washing dishes in the hotel since May 30, occasionally cleaning frozen seafood.
- Beijing suspends all schools as emergency response elevated to second highest level Global Times 17 Jun 2020 -- Students in Beijing were once again studying from home on Wednesday following the suspension of on-campus classes after the city's emergency response to a COVID-19 outbreak was elevated to the second highest level on Tuesday night.
- 31 provinces, regions tighten health checks on Beijing arrivals Global Times 17 Jun 2020 -- As Beijing raised its response to Level II from Level III against the COVID-19 infection spike, and after four provinces reported confirmed cases related to the capital city's new outbreak, 31 provinces and regions in China have tightened health checks on arrivals from Beijing.
- Beijing's latest outbreak may have occurred a month earlier: head of Chinese CDC Global Times 17 Jun 2020 -- Chinese experts differ on when the new outbreak in Beijing began and where exactly the virus originated. In the latest speculation, Gao Fu, director of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (Chinese CDC), said the outbreak probably did not occur in early June or late May, but probably a month earlier.
- Beijing ramps up testing in wake of recent COVID-19 outbreak Global Times 17 Jun 2020 -- Beijing has conducted nucleic acid tests on 356,000 people since Saturday, said a government official, noting that the city will round up key groups of people for testing, such as medical workers, those who live around residential compounds where confirmed infection cases reside, and teachers and students who have already returned to schools.
- China CDC remobilizes P3 lab to facilitate COVID-19 nucleic acid testing in Beijing Global Times 17 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (China CDC) on Wednesday remobilized its mobile P3 lab to facilitate COVID-19 nucleic acid testing in Beijing amid a renewed outbreak, according to China's state broadcaster.
- Beijing disinfects, conducts nucleic acid testing on all food markets, restaurants, canteens Global Times 17 Jun 2020 -- On the first day that Beijing went back to emergency response level II, Beijing officials announced that the city would conduct comprehensive epidemic prevention inspection, environmental disinfection and nucleic acid testing on all food markets, restaurants and dining halls.
- Cities step up measures as new outbreak puts Beijing into 'soft lockdown' Global Times 17 Jun 2020 -- More COVID-19 cases connected to the capital's latest cluster of infections have been reported outside Beijing, as cities take further measures to prevent the spread of the virus.
- Five restaurant staff in Beijing confirmed contracted COVID-19 Global Times 17 Jun 2020 -- Five employees at a Sichuanese restaurant in Beijing's Fengtai district are now confirmed to have contracted COVID-19. Fengtai is where the Xinfadi wholesale food market is located, where the new outbreak of COVID-19 was discovered.
- Beijing COVID-19 patients develop atypical symptom of joint discomfort Global Times 17 Jun 2020 -- Medical workers have observed that some COVID-19 patients in Beijing have developed atypical symptoms such as joint discomfort.
- Beijing expands lockdown on residential communities amid new outbreak Global Times 17 Jun 2020 -- Beijing is expanding its strict closed-off management to all residential communities, as the city raised its COVID-19 emergency response level to 2 from 3.
- High technology plays key role as Beijing combats new COVID-19 outbreak Global Times 17 Jun 2020 -- As Beijing has raised the COVID-19 emergency response level to II from III, high technology including big data, artificial intelligence and cloud computing is in play to help screen for the virus and prevent further spread.
- Beijing residents rush to take COVID-19 tests, as city tries to stifle new outbreak Global Times 17 Jun 2020 -- As demand for nucleic acid tests surges in Beijing amid the latest COVID-19 outbreak, pressure is mounting on local medical care providers. Experts say residents not in high-risk communities should opt for tests at private third-party facilities to prevent cross infections and avert straining the city's public health care system.
- Outbreak in Beijing forces people to cancel plans, seek refunds Global Times 17 Jun 2020 -- New COVID-19 outbreak in Beijing is likely to deal a blow to the revival of its tourism sector, with an analyst predicting a 30-40 percent year-on-year drop in revenue during the three-day Dragon Boat Festival holiday next week.
- Beijing raises emergency response level People's Daily 17 Jun 2020 -- Beijing raised its public health emergency response from the third to the second level due to the new cluster of local COVID-19 infections and the number of confirmed cases in the city exceeding 100 over the past five days, a senior official announced on Tuesday.
- China's Guangdong conducts COVID-19 inspections on farmers' markets, restaurants People's Daily 17 Jun 2020 -- South China's Guangdong Province has started COVID-19-prevention inspections at over 1.9 million dining spots and 5,000 farmers' markets in the province, local authorities said Wednesday.
- Beijing suspends sports events, closes gyms due to COVID-19 spread People's Daily 17 Jun 2020 -- The Beijing Municipal Bureau of Sports issued an urgent notice on Wednesday, suspending sports events as well as closing certain gyms as the capital city of China upgraded its emergency response to COVID-19 from level III to II.
- Beijing conducts nucleic acid tests on around 356,000 people People's Daily 17 Jun 2020 -- Beijing has conducted nucleic acid tests on around 356,000 people as efforts to contain the resurgence of domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases continue, local authorities said Wednesday.
- China's resolve to bolster COVID-19 global medical cooperation a boost to multilateralism, says expert People's Daily 17 Jun 2020 -- China's efforts to bolster COVID-19 medical ties with the rest of the world is strengthening global multilateralism, an expert said on Wednesday.
- Nine questions about Beijing's latest COVID-19 outbreak People's Daily 17 Jun 2020 -- Beijing has reported 106 confirmed cases of COVID-19 as of Monday at midnight since the city reported the first case in the latest outbreak on last Thursday. Why did the outbreak happen in Beijing and what has the city has done after the outbreak began?
- North China's Hebei reports one new confirmed COVID-19 case People's Daily 17 Jun 2020 -- North China's Hebei Province reported one new confirmed domestically transmitted COVID-19 case and three new asymptomatic cases on Tuesday, the provincial health commission said Wednesday.
- Beijing reports 31 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 Jun 2020 -- Beijing reported 31 new confirmed domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases and six new asymptomatic cases on Tuesday, the municipal health commission said Wednesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 11 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported 11 new imported COVID-19 cases Tuesday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,856, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 44 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 Jun 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Wednesday that it received reports of 44 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Tuesday, of which 33 were domestically transmitted and 11 were imported.
- China's Gansu reports 10 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 17 Jun 2020 -- Northwest China's Gansu Province reported 10 new imported COVID-19 cases from 8 p.m. Monday to 8 p.m. Tuesday, the provincial health commission said on Tuesday.
- Beijing Cancels Flights, Closes Down Schools as New COVID-19 Cases Surge Sputnik 17 Jun 2020 -- Beijing's two major airports canceled two-thirds of all their flights Wednesday, and the government has also shut down schools as the Chinese city faces a new COVID-19 outbreak.
- EU to Host Global COVID-19 Vaccine Summit VOA 17 Jun 2020 -- The European Union called on the international community Wednesday to ensure potential coronavirus vaccines are equally available to all nations.
- Spain's Right Wing Party Supporters Rebel Against Socialist Government's COVID Restrictions VOA 17 Jun 2020 -- A huge banner emblazoned with the face of the Spanish prime minister covered the entire side of a block of flats in Madrid.
- Chinese foundation donates COVID-19 testing equipment to Greece Global Times 17 Jun 2020 -- China's Mammoth Foundation has donated key laboratory testing equipment for COVID-19 to Greece to assist the country's fight against the pandemic.
- Russia says new coronavirus cases at lowest since April 30 SPA 17 Jun 2020 -- Russia on Wednesday reported 7,843 new cases of the novel coronavirus, its lowest daily caseload registered since April 30, pushing the nationwide total to 553,301, Reuters reported.
- India ramps up COVID-19 testing capacity to 300,000 tests per day Global Times 17 Jun 2020 -- India has ramped up its capacity to test up to 300,000 samples per day for COVID-19 infection.
- Updates on COVID-19 India PIB 17 Jun 2020
- Indian Railways deploys 960 COVID Care Coaches in 5 States India PIB 17 Jun 2020 -- Sustaining the fight against Covid-19, Indian Railways is making an all out effort to supplement the health care efforts of State Governments. Indian Railways has geared up to provide its 5231 Covid Care Coaches to the States. Zonal Railways have converted these coaches as COVID Care Centres to be used for very mild / mild cases.
- Chinese government donates 6th batch of anti-COVID-19 medical supplies to Pakistan Global Times 17 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese government on Tuesday donated the sixth batch of anti-COVID-19 medical supplies to Pakistan at the Islamabad International Airport to help the country fight against the pandemic.
- Chinese government donates 6th batch of anti-COVID-19 medical supplies to Pakistan People's Daily 17 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese government on Tuesday donated the sixth batch of anti-COVID-19 medical supplies to Pakistan at the Islamabad International Airport to help the country fight against the pandemic.
- COVID-19 recovered number reaches to 154,812 IRNA 17 Jun 2020 -- The spokeswoman for the Ministry of Health, Sima Sadat Lari said, so far, 195,051 people in the country have definitely been infected with the coronavirus, and 154,812 of total infected people have recovered.
- Iran reports highest daily death toll from coronavirus in more than two months Press TV 17 Jun 2020 -- Iran reports 120 new deaths from coronavirus over the past 24 hours, hitting the highest single-day death toll in more than two months.
- Iran May Be Forced To Bring Back Coronavirus Restrictions Radio Farda 17 Jun 2020 -- For the fourth day in a row on Wednesday Iran's coronavirus deaths that had held below 100 since April 14, went well above 100. Health officials are very concerned that a second peak may be imminent.
- Ministry of Health: 4,919 New COVID-19 Cases Reported in Saudi Arabia SPA 17 Jun 2020 -- The Ministry of Health said in a statement today that 4,919 new confirmed cases of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 141,234 cases, including 48,481 active cases receiving necessary medical care. Of these, there are 1,859 critical cases, while the health condition of the rest is stable.
- CECC to loosen quarantine rules for business travelers from June 22 CNA 17 Jun 2020 -- Business travelers arriving from certain countries will be allowed to apply to shorten the length of their mandatory 14-day quarantine upon entering Taiwan from June 22, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Wednesday.
- Brazil's COVID-19 death toll tops 45,000, infections top 900,000 Global Times 17 Jun 2020 -- Brazil on Tuesday reported 1,282 new deaths from the novel coronavirus in the last 24 hours, taking its total such deaths to 45,241, said the health ministry.
- Brazil Reports Record High Daily COVID-19 Cases VOA 17 Jun 2020 -- China's capital imposed new coronavirus restrictions Wednesday to try to control an outbreak, while Brazil reported a record daily increase in confirmed cases and the United States saw the number of deaths in the country surpass those suffered in World War One.
- Brazil Reports Its Record High of New Daily COVID-19 Cases VOA 17 Jun 2020 -- China's capital imposed new coronavirus restrictions Wednesday to try to control a new outbreak, while Brazil reported a record daily increase in confirmed cases and the number of deaths in the United States surpassed those the country suffered in World War One.
- Australia's State Borders Slowly Begin to Reopen After COVID-19 VOA 17 Jun 2020 -- South Australia has become the first state in the country to relax its border controls imposed to contain the COVID-19 pandemic. From Wednesday, travellers from Western Australia, the Northern Territory and Tasmania are allowed to enter South Australia without going into quarantine. Australia has had 7,300 confirmed coronavirus cases. 102 people have died.
- Aussie State records biggest COVID-19 case increase in over a month People's Daily 17 Jun 2020 -- The Australian State of Victoria recorded its biggest daily increase of COVID-19 infections in over a month, with 21 new cases officially recorded on Wednesday.
- Honduran president tests positive for COVID-19 People's Daily 17 Jun 2020 -- Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez announced Tuesday in a message to the nation that he and his wife Ana Garcia both tested positive for the novel coronavirus.
- COVID-19 update: Infections rising in Africa, Americas; Beijing facing resurgence Press TV 17 Jun 2020 -- Global cases of infection with the new coronavirus have reached nearly 8.2 million, and the death toll has crossed the 443,000 mark, according to Johns Hopkins University which compiles data on the pandemic.
- GCC Health Ministers Discuss Latest Developments of COVID-19 SPA 17 Jun 2020 -- The Health Ministers of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Member States held virtually today 3rd Extraordinary Meeting to discuss the latest developments, preventative preparations and medication of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).
- New Zealand Posts Two New Coronavirus Cases After Declaring Itself Virus Free VOA 17 Jun 2020 -- A week after declaring the country free of the novel coronavirus, New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says an "unacceptable failure" has resulted in two new cases of the virus.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|