22 March 2020 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 62 WHO 22 March 2020
- Lockdown is Not Enough to Stop the Coronavirus - WHO Emergency Executive Sputnik 22 Mar 2020 -- The COVID-19 pandemic recently surpassed 300,000 cases, while the death toll is over 13,000. The infection has struck over 120 countries, with the main centres of the outbreak outside China being located in Italy, the United States, Spain, Germany, and Iran.
- Global confirmed COVID-19 cases top 300,000: Johns Hopkins University People's Daily 22 Mar 2020 -- The number of COVID-19 cases worldwide topped 300,000 as of 6 p.m. U.S. Eastern Time on Saturday (2200 GMT), according to the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.
- WHO: Lockdowns not enough to defeat virus, public health measures needed Press TV 22 Mar 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) says lockdowns are not enough to defeat the coronavirus pandemic, noting that public health measures are still needed to avoid a resurgence of the virus once the restrictions are lifted.
- Coronavirus confines one billion to homes, death toll passes 13,000 globally Press TV 22 Mar 2020 -- Cases of infection with the new coronavirus continue to surge throughout the world, and restrictions put in place by governments to contain the pandemic have confined one billion people to their homes in different countries.
- Number of Coronavirus Cases Hits 300,000 Worldwide, US Has Third Most - Report Sputnik 22 Mar 2020 -- The World Health Organisation (WHO), meanwhile, says the global number of coronavirus cases has reached 266,000, with more than 11,000 fatalities. The COVID-19 outbreak was declared a pandemic on 11 March.
- Remarks by President Trump, Vice President Pence, and Members of the Coronavirus Task Force in Press Briefing The White House 22 Mar 2020
- President Donald J. Trump Approves California Disaster Declaration The White House 22 Mar 2020
- President Donald J. Trump Approves Washington Disaster Declaration The White House 22 Mar 2020
- Partnering With the U.S. Defense Industrial Base to Combat COVID-19 DoD 22 Mar 2020 -- The Department continues to aggressively partner with the defense industry to mitigate impacts from COVID-19. Under Secretary of Defense Ellen Lord's Acquisition and Sustainment leaders in Industrial Policy, Defense Pricing and Contracting, Defense Logistics Agency (DLA), and the Defense Contracting Management Agency (DCMA) have made significant progress this week in addressing specific concerns outlined by defense industry leaders."
- Trump Pandemic rages Global Times 22 Mar 2020 -- US President Donald Trump has spared no efforts in scapegoating China for allowing the coronavirus to rampage in the US, using an old trick from his political playbook: giving derogatory nicknames to his opponents. But with his latest attempt - calling the coronavirus "Chinese virus" -- Trump has run into a brick wall.
- Trump Approves New York, Washington Requests to Declare Major Disaster, Activates National Guard Sputnik 22 Mar 2020 -- So far, the number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the United States has reached 32,644, according to the Johns Hopkins University, which puts the US in third place in terms of its COVID-19 toll, surpassed only by China and Italy.
- Massive US Coronavirus Economic Aid Stalls in Congress VOA 22 Mar 2020 -- U.S. congressional action stalled Sunday on a massive $1.8 trillion economic aid package to send money to most Americans and many businesses that have been severely impacted by the deadly coronavirus.
- Trump: 3 US Automakers to Manufacture Coronavirus Ventilators VOA 22 Mar 2020 -- President Donald Trump said Sunday that three U.S. automakers – General Motors, Ford Motor and Tesla — have been "given the go ahead" for fast-paced production of ventilators and other metal products needed to treat Americans infected by the deadly coronavirus.
- Rush Transcript: Amid Ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic, Governor Cuomo Accepts Recommendation of Army Corps of Engineers for Four Temporary Hospital Sites in New York New York State 22 Mar 2020
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 22 Mar 2020
- China's anti-virus model urged as global solution by Chinese experts as confirmed COVID-19 cases expected to hit 1 million Global Times 22 Mar 2020 -- As country after country of different development status, political systems and societal values fail to come up with a sound plan to stem the coronavirus pandemic, Chinese analysts on Sunday called on countries to put aside their political differences and swiftly and resolutely adopt China's model, which they believe the "only" proven successful model so far that could be replicated to halt the virus once and for all, so as to save millions of lives.
- Time for China to help US fight against pandemic Global Times 22 Mar 2020 -- As the number of coronavirus infections spirals out of control in the US, observers and analysts believe it is time for China to consider lending a hand to hard-hit US states in fighting against the deadly coronavirus based on humanitarian grounds despite Washington's escalating xenophobic slurs and hostility toward Beijing by repeatedly calling the novel coronavirus the "Chinese virus."
- COVID-19 may reach another peak next spring: Chinese expert Global Times 22 Mar 2020 -- The COVID-19 pandemic may reach a peak next spring after receding this summer; and it is expected to "travel" back and forth from the Southern and Northern hemispheres for the next one or two years, a top Chinese expert on infectious diseases said.
- Beijing strengths nucleic acid testing of coronavirus at border entry Global Times 22 Mar 2020 -- The Beijing municipal government has required strengthened nucleic acid testing (NAT) of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) for people arriving in the city from other countries.
- Four types of people must test for COVID-19 before entering Beijing: authority Global Times 22 Mar 2020 -- The Beijing municipal government is further strengthening measures to prevent imported cases, stipulating that four types of people must take the nucleic acid test before entry: those with COVID-19 symptoms, those with an epidemiological history, those showing signs of infection, and those who have necessity to test.
- Mainland's only new local patient infected by imported case leads to vigilance over a second outbreak: expert Global Times 22 Mar 2020 -- The only new local COVID-19 infection in the Chinese mainland on Saturday was confirmed in South China's Guangdong Province, a person who was infected by someone traveling from overseas, the first of its kind in the mainland, reminding cities to raise their vigilance over imported cases to prevent a second wave of infections.
- Chinese medical experts share COVID-19 treatment experience with peers abroad Global Times 22 Mar 2020 -- Chinese experts in traditional Chinese and western medicines have shared their experience via video call in treating COVID-19 patients with peers from Italy, the United States, Belgium, Japan and the World Health Organization.
- Wuhan govt dismisses rumors saying city has over 100 new COVID-19 cases Global Times 22 Mar 2020 -- Wuhan, the capital city of Central China's Hubei Province, which has not seen new confirmed cases of COVID19 for four consecutive days, dismissed rumors on early Sunday that the city had newly confirmed cases.
- Guangdong reports first indigenous COVID-19 case infected by imported patient Global Times 22 Mar 2020 -- South China's Guangdong on Sunday reported the province's first indigenous case of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) infected by a patient recently returned from overseas.
- 46 new confirmed COVID-19 cases reported on Chinese mainland People's Daily 22 Mar 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Sunday it received reports of 46 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland on Saturday, of which 45 were imported from abroad.
- China's Wuhan reports zero increase in COVID-19 cases for 4th day People's Daily 22 Mar 2020 -- No new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were reported Saturday in Wuhan, marking the fourth day in a row of zero report at the epicenter of the epidemic in a months-long battle with the deadly virus.
- China Reports 46 Novel Coronavirus Infections, 6 Deaths SPA 22 Mar 2020 -- China has reported 46 novel coronavirus infections and 6 new deaths over the past day.
- PM statement on coronavirus: 22 March 2020 Gov.UK 22 Mar 2020 -- Prime Minister Boris Johnson made a statement on coronavirus.
- UK considering tougher action to enforce 'social distancing' Press TV 22 Mar 2020 -- The British government continues to demonstrate indecisive leadership over its handling of the coronavirus pandemic, as demonstrated by its inability to enforce a strict lockdown.
- Italy further tightens lockdown rules, closing all non-essential businesses People's Daily 22 Mar 2020 -- In an unexpected announcement made via Facebook, Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said late on Saturday that all commercial activities in the country would be shut down unless they performed an "essential" role for the country in its battle against the spread of coronavirus.
- Italy to shut all non-strategic business activities until April 3 - PM Conte SPA 22 Mar 2020 -- Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said that all Italian businesses must close until April 3, with the exception of those essential to maintaining the country's supply chain, in the latest desperate effort to halt the coronavirus epidemic.
- Italy Tightens Restrictive Measures to Combat COVID-19's Spread VOA 22 Mar 2020 -- Italy Saturday introduced more restrictive measures to combat the spread of the coronavirus.
- Italy Reports Hundreds of new Coronavirus Deaths VOA 22 Mar 2020 -- Europe has become the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak, with the hardest hit nation, Italy reporting hundreds of new deaths on Sunday.
- Romania imposes curfew, home quarantine to curb virus spread People's Daily 22 Mar 2020 -- The Romanian government late Saturday declared a curfew and required citizens to stay at home as much as possible during daytime in the latest move to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus.
- Chinese medics arrive in Serbia to fight COVID-19 PLA Daily 22 Mar 2020 -- A team of Chinese medical staff with experience in fighting COVID-19 arrived in the Serbian capital on Saturday evening to help with the Balkan state's battle against the virus.
- Germany Bans Gatherings of More Than Two People SPA 22 Mar 2020 -- Germany bans public gatherings and meetings of more than two people as the nation works on slowing the spread of the Covid-19 Coronavirus.
- Switzerland Reports 900 New Coronavirus Cases SPA 22 Mar 2020 -- The Swiss Ministry of Health reported today more than 900 new coronavirus cases, bringing the total confirmed cases to 7,014 with 60 deaths.
- Kosovo Reports First COVID19 Death SPA 22 Mar 2020 -- The Institute of Public Health of Kosovo confirmed today the first death related to the Coronavirus .
- High level Group of Ministers reviews current status, and actions for prevention and management of COVID-19 India PIB 22 Mar 2020 -- Cabinet Secretary and the Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister reviewed the status, actions taken and preparedness regarding management and containment of COVID-19 in a high level with Chief Secretaries of States through a video conference, here today. The increase in the number of confirmed cases during the last few days was discussed. The Central Government impressed upon the States the need for urgent and effective interventions.
- India Falls Silent as It Observes 14-Hour Lockdown VOA 22 Mar 2020 -- The sound of silence descended on India as hundreds of millions hunkered indoors Sunday in response to a call by Prime Minister Narendra Modi to observe a voluntary 14-hour lockdown as a surge in coronavirus cases deepens worries about the pandemic in the world's second most populous nation.
- Iran receives China's anti-coronavirus donations IRNA 22 Mar 2020 -- Two planes carrying China donations including 64 tons of face-masks and scrubs arrived in Tehran's Imam Khomeini International Air Port on Sunday.
- Official: COVID-19 death toll hits 1,685 in Iran IRNA 22 Mar 2020 -- Head of Iran's Health Ministry Public Relations Office Kianoush Jahanpour said on Sunday that 7,913 people out of a total of 21,638 infected by the coronavirus have survived the deadly disease while 1,685 have unfortunately succumbed to death.
- Tehran shuts commercial centers to contain COVID-19, exempts hypermarkets, pharmacies Press TV 22 Mar 2020 -- Officials in Tehran have ordered all commercial centers closed except for major chain stores supplying foodstuff and other basic requirements as well as pharmacies as part of new restrictive measures to stem the coronavirus outbreak.
- Japan confirms 14 coronavirus cases at medical centre - Kyodo SPA 22 Mar 2020 -- Japan's Oita prefecture confirmed two new coronavirus infections at a medical centre on Sunday, bringing the total at the facility to 14 and making it a suspected cluster, Kyodo newswire said, according to Reuters.
- South Korea's new coronavirus cases back under 100 mark SPA 22 Mar 2020 -- South Korea on Sunday reported 98 new cases of the novel coronavirus, closing an up-and-down week in double-digit figures, dpa reported.
- Health Ministry Urges all to Stay Home SPA 22 Mar 2020 -- The committee concerned with following up the health situation of the new Coronavirus (COVID-19) affirmed the importance of continuation of applying and enhancing all precautionary measures in all entry ports.
- Saudi Arabia Imposes 21-Day Curfew to Fight Coronavirus Spread Sputnik 22 Mar 2020 -- The Kingdom has registered at least 511 coronavirus cases with no fatalities, according to the latest data provided by the Johns Hopkins University Coronavirus Resource Centre.
- Kuwait Reports 12 New Cases of Novel Coronavirus SPA 22 Mar 2020 -- The Kuwaiti Ministry of Health has reported 12 confirmed cases of novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) during the past 24 hours.
- Three More Recoveries from Coronavirus in Kuwait SPA 22 Mar 2020 -- Kuwaiti Minister of Health Sheikh Dr. Basel Al-Sabah has announced the full recovery of three additional patients from the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), bringing the total number of recovered cases in the country to 30.
- Afghanistan Reports First Coronavirus Death SPA 22 Mar 2020 -- The Ministry of Health of Afghanistan reported today the first death related to the new Coronavirus.
- Afghanistan reports 10 new coronavirus cases SPA 22 Mar 2020 -- Afghanistan on Sunday reported 10 new cases of coronavirus as authorities restricted movement of civilians in the country, officials said, according to Reuters.
- First cases of COVID-19 confirmed in besieged Gaza Press TV 22 Mar 2020 -- The first two cases of coronavirus infection have been confirmed in the densely-populated Gaza Strip, which is under the Israeli siege.
- Palestine Reports 6 New Coronavirus Cases SPA 22 Mar 2020 -- Palestine reported 6 new Coronavirus cases, bringing the total to 59 cases.
- Two coronavirus cases confirmed in Gaza Strip SPA 22 Mar 2020 -- Gaza Strip has recorded its first two cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), the Ministry of Health in the coastal enclave announced Sunday.
- First Coronavirus Cases Confirmed in Palestinian Gaza Strip SPA 22 Mar 2020 -- The first two cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in the Gaza Strip, Palestinian health officials said.
- Taiwan adds 16 new COVID-19 cases, bringing total to 169 (update) CNA 22 Mar 2020 -- A total of 16 new coronavirus cases, 13 of which originated overseas, were confirmed in Taiwan on Sunday, bringing the total number to 169 since the outbreak began, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said.
- Travelers to be barred from transiting through Taiwan airports CNA 22 Mar 2020 -- Travelers will not be allowed to transit through airports in Taiwan starting March 24, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) announced Sunday, in what is the country's latest travel restriction to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Taoyuan airport passenger levels fall below SARS numbers: NIA CNA 22 Mar 2020 -- The number of passengers who arrived and departed from Taoyuan International Airport on Saturday fell below the daily average handled by the airport at the height of the SARS outbreak in 2003, the National Immigration Agency (NIA) said Sunday.
- COVID-19: First Deaths In Afghanistan, Kosovo, Romania, North Macedonia RFE/RL 22 Mar 2020 -- The global coronavirus pandemic has infected more than 300,000 people and killed nearly 14,000 worldwide, causing mass disruptions as governments continue to try to slow the spread of the new respiratory illness.
- Jordan Announces 13 Corona Cases SPA 22 Mar 2020 -- The Jordanian Health Ministry announced today that 13 cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) are recorded, bringing the total number of cases to 112 in Jordan.
- Algeria Announces Two Deaths of COVID-19 SPA 22 Mar 2020 -- The Algerian Ministry of Health announced today that the number of new deaths due to the new Coronavirus (COVID-19) has risen to 17, after two new cases were recorded today.
- Bahraini Health Ministry Announces COVID-19 Death SPA 22 Mar 2020 -- The Bahraini Ministry of Health has announced the death of a 51-year-old female Bahraini national who was suffering from underlying and chronic health problems, and was registered as an active case of Coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Lebanese Public Health Ministry Reports 18 New Coronavirus Cases SPA 22 Mar 2020 -- The Lebanese Ministry of Public Health reported today 18 new Coronavirus cases.
- Tunisia Reports 15 New COVID-19 Cases, 2 Deaths SPA 22 Mar 2020 -- Tunisia reported today 2 deaths from Coronavirus, bringing the total deaths to 3 .
- Indonesia Reports 64 New Coronavirus Infections, 10 Deaths SPA 22 Mar 2020 -- Indonesia has reported 64 novel coronavirus infections, bringing the total to 514 cases.
- El Salvador introduces mandatory quarantine to curb spread of virus SPA 22 Mar 2020 -- El Salvador is introducing a 30-day mandatory quarantine to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus, President Nayib Bukele has said, according to dpa.
- Eritrea becomes 39th African country to confirm Covid-19 case SPA 22 Mar 2020 -- A 39-year-old man has become the first confirmed case of Covid-19 in Eritrea, bringing the number of African nations to have detected cases of the disease to 39, dpa reported.
- Malaysia confirms ninth virus death SPA 22 Mar 2020 -- Malaysia's Health Ministry said on Sunday afternoon that a ninth person has died in the country after contracting Covid-19,the respiratory condition caused by the new coronavirus that so far cost some 13,000 lives around the world, dpa reported.
- Philippines reports 73 new coronavirus cases, 6 more deaths SPA 22 Mar 2020 -- The Philippines reported 73 new coronavirus cases, bringing the total to 380, the health ministry said on Sunday. It also announced six more deaths related to coronavirus, bringing total fatalities to 25, Reuters reported.
- Thailand reports 188 new coronavirus cases, brings total to nearly 600 SPA 22 Mar 2020 -- Thailand reported 188 new coronavirus infections on Sunday, its largest daily increase, taking the total to 599 cases, a senior health official said, according to Reuters.
- UAE reports 13 new coronavirus cases, seven more recoveries SPA 22 Mar 2020 -- The United Arab Emirates has announced the detection of 13 new coronavirus cases and the recovery of seven more individuals.
- Coronavirus Toll in Mexico Increases by 48 Cases to 251 – Health Ministry Sputnik 22 Mar 2020 -- The number of people infected with the novel coronavirus in Mexico has increased by 48 to a total of 251 over the past day in addition to 697 suspected cases, the Mexican Health Ministry said on Sunday.
- Ecuadorian Ministers of Health, Labour Resign After COVID-19 Cases Go Beyond 500 Sputnik 22 Mar 2020 -- Ecuador's Minister of Health Catalina Andramuno and Minister of Labour Andres Madero have stepped down as the rate of the country's coronavirus infections increased by over 400 cases in a week to a total of 532, the presidential press service.
- Several African Countries Confirm First Coronavirus Cases VOA 22 Mar 2020 -- Several African countries have confirmed their first cases of the coronavirus, while Rwanda has become the first nation in Africa to be placed on lockdown.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|