May 2008 Security News
- Army North Prepares for Hurricane Season Army News 30 May 2008 -- Hurricane season begins in June and U.S. Army North has been planning in order to anticipate the needs of federal, state and local partners and speed any military response to those affected by natural disasters.
- Backgrounder: Jamaat al-Islamiyya cfr.org 30 May 2008
- CIA Chief: US Making Gains Against al-Qaida VOA 30 May 2008 -- The chief of the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency says al-Qaida is losing influence in the Middle East and is on the defensive in other parts of the world.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 30 May 2008 [PDF]
- Backgrounder: Egyptian Islamic Jihad (aka: Al-Jihad, Egyptian al-Jihad; New Jihad; Jihad Group, Al-Qaeda) cfr.org 29 May 2008
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 29 May 2008 [PDF]
- Iowa Guard Helping with Tornado Recovery Army News 28 May 2008 -- About 175 Iowa National Guard Soldiers and Airmen are now serving on state active duty in support of tornado relief and recovery efforts for northeast Iowa.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 28 May 2008 [PDF]
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 27 May 2008 [PDF]
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 23 May 2008 [PDF]
- First Human Case of Bird Flu Reported in Bangladesh VOA 22 May 2008 -- The first human case of bird flu has been reported in Bangladesh.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 22 May 2008 [PDF]
- Coast Guard Essential to Victory Against Terrorism, Cheney Says AFPS 21 May 2008 -- The efforts of the men and women of the U.S. Coast Guard are essential to victory in the war against terrorism, Vice President Richard B. Cheney told graduating cadets at their academy commencement today in New London, Conn.
- Guantanamo Differs From Pop Culture Perception, Admiral Says AFPS 21 May 2008 -- The commander of Joint Task Force Guantanamo believes two very different Guantanamos exist today.
- UN counter-terrorism task force needs sustainable funding - Assembly chief UN News Centre 21 May 2008 -- The United Nations task force charged with coordinating the world body's counter-terrorism efforts needs guaranteed and sustainable funding, rather than the current voluntary model, so that it can carry out its work, General Assembly President Srgjan Kerim told a briefing at UN Headquarters today.
- Top ETA Leader Arrested in Southern France VOA 21 May 2008 -- The French government Wednesday hailed the arrest of a top leader of the Basque terrorist group ETA in the southern city of Bordeaux
- PRESS CONFERENCE TO LAUNCH NEW REPORT ON THREAT OF GLOBAL TERRORISM United Nations 21 May 2008
- US Report: FBI Complained About CIA Interrogation Tactics VOA 21 May 2008 -- A U.S. Justice Department report says Federal Bureau of Investigation agents raised concerns about controversial interrogation techniques other U.S. agencies used on terror suspects.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 21 May 2008 [PDF]
- EU approves human bird flu vaccine RIA Novosti 20 May 2008 -- The EU has granted a license to a British company to market a human pre-pandemic bird flu vaccine in all 27-member European Union countries, the EurActiv news portal reported on Tuesday.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 20 May 2008 [PDF]
- FBI Awards General Dynamics $83 Million IT Management Contract General Dynamics 19 May 2008 -- General Dynamics Information Technology, a business unit of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD), has been awarded a task order by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to provide information technology (IT) management services at its headquarters and field offices
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 19 May 2008 [PDF]
- Bush, Pakistan's Gilani Discuss Fighting Terrorism VOA 18 May 2008 -- U.S. President George Bush and Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani say they are determined to continue fighting terrorism
- US Military Lawyers Want Charges Dropped Against Guantanamo Detainees VOA 17 May 2008 -- U.S. military lawyers want charges dropped against alleged conspirators in the September 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States, saying their cases were improperly influenced by a Pentagon adviser.
- Bin Laden: Al-Qaida Will Continue War Against Israel VOA 16 May 2008 -- Al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden has vowed to continue what he describes as a "holy war" against Israel
- Indian Police Release Sketches of Suspects in Jaipur Bombings VOA 16 May 2008 -- Police in India have distributed sketches of three suspects in Tuesday's explosions that killed more than 60 people in the western city of Jaipur.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 16 May 2008 [PDF]
- Bangladeshis Questioned About Jaipur Blasts VOA 15 May 2008 -- Indian authorities say they have detained about 40 people, mostly Bangladeshis, in their investigation of Tuesday evening's serial bomb blasts in Jaipur
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 15 May 2008 [PDF]
- UN expert praises Spain's role on terrorism but calls for legal reforms UN News Centre 14 May 2008 -- Spain has played an important role in the global fight against international terrorism by promoting human rights, but it should reform some of the ways it handles terrorism suspects domestically, according to a United Nations expert on human rights.
- Jaipur Blasts Demonstrate Continuing Indian Vulnerability to Terrorist Attacks VOA 14 May 2008 -- The terrorist attack in Jaipur was the latest in a string of bombings of Indian cities during the past several years
- NORAD, USNORTHCOM open integrated command center AFPN 14 May 2008 -- North American Aerospace Defense Command and U.S. Northern Command unveiled their new integrated command center in a ceremony May 13 attended by dignitaries from both Canada and the U.S.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 14 May 2008 [PDF]
- 9/11 Co-Conspirators Charges Referred 13 May 2008 -- The Defense Department announced today that charges against five of the six detainees who are alleged to be responsible for the planning and execution of the attacks upon the United States of America on September 11, 2001 have been referred to trial by military commission
- US Drops Charges Against Alleged '20th Hijacker' in September 11 Attacks VOA 13 May 2008 -- The United States has dropped charges against the alleged "20th hijacker" in the September 11, 2001, terror attacks on the United States.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 13 May 2008 [PDF]
- Guard Answers Calls in Weather-Battered States AFPS 12 May 2008 -- National Guard members in four states were called out by their governors to assist civil authorities today after tornadoes crossed the southwestern United States on May 10 and flooding on the Delaware coast left communities in need of emergency assistance.
- Mexican Citizens Alarmed as Drug Violence Escalates VOA 12 May 2008 -- Thousands of Mexicans dressed in white marched silently Sunday through the streets of Juarez, Mexico, just across the border from El Paso, Texas to protest drug-related violence. that killed more than 100 people, including about 20 police officers, during the past week in Mexico
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 12 May 2008 [PDF]
- Epidemiological Survey on Virus of Avian Flu Intensified in DPRK KCNA 10 May 2008 -- The DPRK has taken measures to prevent avian influenza from spreading to and breaking out in the country.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 09 May 2008 [PDF]
- U.S. Coast Guard Accepts Delivery Of First National Security Cutter, Lockheed Martin Command And Control System Lockheed Martin 08 May 2008 -- The U.S. Coast Guard today accepted delivery of the first National Security Cutter, USCGC Bertholf (WMSL 750), a 418-foot vessel built by Northrop Grumman and equipped by Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] with integrated communications, sensors and electronics systems
- Pakistan: U.S. Urges Islamabad To Fight Terrorists As Fragile Peace Collapses RFE/RL 08 May 2008 -- After a two month lull in the violence that has plagued Pakistan's border regions, Islamist militants appear to have resumed the violence when a recent suicide-bomb attack in the northwestern city of Bannu killed five
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 08 May 2008 [PDF]
- US Congress Debates Finally Removing Terrorist Label for Nelson Mandela VOA 07 May 2008 -- The US Congress is debating a bill that would finally remove former South African president Nelson Mandela from a terrorist blacklist.
- US Official Says Terror Safe-Havens in Pakistan Remain a Challenge VOA 07 May 2008 -- A top counterterrorism official says the United States has had a mixed record of success in the fight against al-Qaida terrorists.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 07 May 2008 [PDF]
- ARNORTH Conducts Disaster Response Exercise Army News 06 May 2008 -- Active and Reserve units representing all services from those states and others across the U.S. converged in the Seattle area to begin their response measures with the kick-off the National Level Exercise 02-08.
- More than 150 States have reported on moves to keep WMDs from terrorists - UN UN News Centre 06 May 2008 -- As of the end of April, more than half of United Nations Member States have submitted assessments to the Security Council regarding efforts to keep nuclear, chemical and biological weapons out of the hands of terrorists and black marketeers, it was announced today.
- Bird Flu Prevention Work Intensified in DPRK KCNA 06 May 2008 -- The DPRK is exerting greater effort to prevent the avian flu spreading in wide areas of the world because of the spring migration of wild birds.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 06 May 2008 [PDF]
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 05 May 2008 [PDF]
- IBM Joins the Lockheed Martin Team for FBI'S Next Generation Identification Program Lockheed Martin 02 May 2008 -- Lockheed Martin today announced that IBM will join its industry team to develop and maintain the Next Generation Identification (NGI) system for the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)-the new multi-modal, state-of-the-art biometrics system to be used by state, local and federal authorities.
- Al-Jazeera Cameraman Freed From Guantanamo VOA 02 May 2008 -- The Pentagon says it believes a former al-Jazeera cameraman sent from the Guantanamo detention center to Sudan Thursday is still dangerous, and it expects the Sudanese government to help ensure he does not resume what the Pentagon says is his involvement in terrorism
- Somali Islamist Militants Vow to Avenge Leader's Death VOA 02 May 2008 -- Islamist militants say they will continue their jihad in Somalia, despite the death of their leader, al-Qaida's chief operator in the country.
- Detainee Transfer Announced 02 May 2008 -- The Department of Defense announced today the transfer of nine detainees from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Five detainees were transferred to Afghanistan, three to Sudan and one to Morocco. These detainees were determined to be eligible for transfer following a comprehensive series of review processes.
- INDONESIA: Bali bird flu drill tests pandemic preparedness IRIN 02 May 2008 -- Indonesia, indeed the world, had never seen anything like it. In a sleepy Balinese village, panic flares as some 20 people are feared to have suddenly been infected with avian influenza.
- Major cleric dismisses claims of Iran's backing terrorism IRNA 02 May 2008 -- Substitute Friday prayers leader of Tehran Ayatollah Ahmad Khatami here Friday dismissed claims that Iran sponsors terrorism.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 02 May 2008 [PDF]
- U.S. Strikes Known al-Qaida Target in Somalia AFPS 01 May 2008 -- U.S. Central Command conducted a strike against a known al-Qaida target in Somalia yesterday, a Pentagon spokesman said today.
- Death of al-Qaeda Leader in Somalia Could Affect Peace Process VOA 01 May 2008 -- The United States is calling the death of Aden Hashi Ayro in Somalia a victory against terrorism
- 3 Bombs Explode in Northern Spain's Basque Region VOA 01 May 2008 -- Spanish officials say three bombs have exploded in northern Spain's autonomous Basque region, without causing casualties.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 01 May 2008 [PDF]
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|