National Cadet Corps
The National Cadet Corps' mission is to develop resourceful, responsible, resilient, loyal leaders and team players through fun and challenging military-related activities. The Singapore National Cadet Corps is a world-class organization that nurtures responsible, resilient and resourceful cadets to become successful citizens.
The history of National Cadet Corps dates as far back as May 1901 when C. M. Philips, the acting principal of Raffles Institution formed a cadet corps unit comprised of existing and former students. By 1905, the Raffles Institution Cadet Corps was formed. This was followed by the creation of the St. Joseph Institution Cadet Corps in 1906. Initially, the Cadet Corps in Singapore was aimed at training youths for the Local Volunteer Corps rather simply being a youth organization associated with the Ministry of Defense. The interest level and enthusiasm began to wane during the First World War and by the end of 1916, membership had diminished.
In 1917, steps were taken by the Education authorities to revive the Cadet Corps on a new basis. It was decided that 6 schools (Raffles Institution, St. Joseph Institution, Anglo-Chinese School, St. Andrew's School, Outram Road School, and Victoria Bridge School) should each form a Cadet Unit. This time, the Cadet Corps in those schools would be entirely separated from that of the Volunteer Corps. The aim of the movement was to improve the physique and discipline of the cadets, boys only, and to inspire them with ideals of esprit-de-corps and patriotism. In 1918, all of the selected schools formed their Cadet Units under the command of their own Cadet Officers. Non-Commissioned Officers from various military regiments in Singapore and Wardens from the Prisons helped in the training of the school unit, which included foot drills, recognition of the different parts of a rifle, field signals and military games.
In 1965, the Ministry of Education launched its Cadet Corps expansion program. The program was intended to meet the demands of the Republic of Singapore in preparation for National Service in 1967. 1969 marked the formation of the first girls' units in both single gender and mixed gender secondary schools.
1969 was also the year in which the land, sea, air, and the police cadets were integrated under one organization, which was named the National Cadet Corps. As a result, the NCC Headquarters was established to be responsible for the training, discipline, and welfare of the cadet movements. In 1970, the Police arm was separated from the National Cadet Corps to form the National Police Cadet Corps, which became part of the Ministry of Home Affairs. The National Cadet Corps continued to operate under the Ministry of Defense. This separation was a result of the reorganization of the Ministry of Interior and Defense into the separate ministries, Ministry of Defense and Ministry of Home Affairs.
By 1971, there were 82 Land (Boys) units, 52 Land (Girls) units, 3 Sea Training Centers, and an Air Training Center In 1972, the National Cadet Corps Council was formed as the highest policy making body and the National Cadet Corps Act was promulgated in 1973. 1984 saw the first recruitment of girls into the Sea and Air units.
In the late 1980s, the National Cadet Corps, with an enrollment of some 20,000 high school and university students, was one of 2 paramilitary organizations in Singapore, the other being the People's Defense Force. The Ministries of Defense and Education were jointly responsible for the administration of the voluntary National Cadet Corps, which had army, air force, and naval components. Approximately 10 percent of the nation's high school students participated in this extracurricular program at that time.
Prior to 2001, the National Cadet Corps Headquarters was dispersed into 4 separate camps: Springleaf Camp, Haig Road Camp, Pasir Panjang Camp, and Jalan Teck Whye Camp. The National Cadet Corps Headquarters was centralized with the opening of a single National Cadet Corps Campus at Amoy Quee Camp, on 30 May 2001. 2001 also marked the 100th anniversary of the formation of the organization.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|