The Su-27SK single-seat multi-role fighter is an export version of the Su-27 fighter that has been serially produced since 1991. The fighter is designed to gain air superiority through destroying hostile manned and unmanned aircraft with guided missiles in medium-range engagements and dogfights in individual and group operations; and surface (ground and sea) targets destroying with all types of weapon, first of all with high precision weapon (guided missile and bombs) in all-weather conditions.
The main features of Su-27SK are the following:
- high maneuverability provided by high thrust-to-weight ratio, the aircraft perfect aerodynamics, and Fly-by-wire system used for the aircraft longitudinal control;
- large flight range due to the aircraft perfect aerodynamics, the power plant high effectiveness, and the inner fuel tanks capacity;
- integrated weapon control system consists of two independent complementary channels - radar sighting system and optronic sight system with HMS;
- up-to-date navigation system, communication suite, and ECM suite;
- an expanded weapons suite (air-to-air guided missiles and bombs, and air-to-surface rockets) with the ordnance mounted externally on 10 hardpoints.
The radar used in Su-27SK is of pulse-Doppler type, it ensures aerial targets searching and tracking in air and against a ground/sea background at 100 km distance. The radar can simultaneously track and prioritize 10 aerial targets, and attack the most dangerous one.
The Su-27SK optronic sighting system comprises Optical-Electronic Location System and HMS (Helmet mounted system). Optical-Electronic Location System is a combination of an infrared search and track system (IRST) and a laser rangefinder/target designator, used to track aerial targets both in the front and rear hemispheres using their infrared signature, and the targets laser ranging.
The Su-27SK aircraft weapons suite includes the built-in GSh-301 30-mm automatic single-barrel high-rate-of-fire cannon with 150 rounds ammunition load; and missiles, rockets and bomb ordnance suspended on 10 hard points located under the wings and fuselage.
Su-27SK can carry up to six R-27R1 (R-27ER1) air-to-air medium-range missiles with semi-active radar homing heads, up to two R-27T1 (R-27ET1) heat-seeking medium-range missiles, and up to six RVV-AE medium-range active radar-homing missiles and six R-73E short-range heat-seeking missiles.
The aircraft weapons suite includes a wide range of different types of weapon to destroy surface (sea) targets. The weapon suite can include bombs of 500, 250 or 100-kg caliber, cluster bombs, incendiary tanks, and the S-8 rockets (in four B-8M1 pods), the S-13 rockets (in four B-13L pods), and the S-25-OFM rockets.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|