The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW

Military


Srampaveiny Yard
Galerny Yard
Galernaya Dockyard
Admiralteyskya Embankment

Admiralteyskya Embankment appeared in 1800, when some of the workshops were transported to Admiralteisky Island situated downstream the Neva River, close to the delta of Moika River, where the construction of rowing boats for the fleet had been taking place since 1712. Originally the enterprise on the Admiralteisky Island was called Srampaveiny Yard, since 1713 - Galerny Yard, since 1721 - Galernaya Dockyard; in the late 18th century the enterprise was renovated to accommodate construction of large boats, since 1800 it was called the New Admiralty where all shipbuilding works were transferred to gradually (Admiralteiskaya Dockyard was closed in 1843).

In 1724 the construction of ships (initially rowing and small sailboats, and later frigates as well) started at Galerny Island, which was situated in the delta of the Fontanka River. The gunboats which provided the defence of the capital from the enemy fleet were built here during the Crimean War of 1853-56. In the early 1860s the dockyards of Galerny Island and the New Admiralty were reequipped into the construction of armoured ships. Peter the Great, the first Russian sea armored ship and one of the most powerful battleships of its time, was launched from the Galerny Island in 1873; Rynda cruiser, the first Russian steel ship, was launched in 1885.

By 1900 there were two Government dockyards in the city of St. Petersburg: the New Admiralty, and the Galerny Island, both under the supervision of the captain of the port, who was a vice-admiral. The first was employed both as a building and repairing yard, while the second was smaller and was exclusively a building yard. In order to increase the resources for the construction of modern battleships with a displacement of 14,000 tons, two new stone building slips and two machine shops had been erected at a cost of over 200,000. A special building, with a basin 400 ft. in length, had been erected for experiments with models of vessels, in order to obtain data for the construction of ships. The yards contained five building slips, two of which are on the Galerny Island, numerous workshops, store-houses and other buildings.

Galerny Island (Galley Island, also Galerni or Galernii or Galerney) is situated at the mouth of the Fontanka River about ten hectares in area. The island was extended to the north by narrowing the right branch of the Fontanka River in the late 18th century. A shipyard was built in the island in the early-to-mid 19th century for building rowing boats - galleys (hence the name). Galerny Island was nominally no longer an island after the left branch of the Fontanka River was blocked by a narrow isthmus in the mid-20th century.

The earliest construction of facilities at Admiralty Shipyard -- mostly specialized workshops and shipbuilding halls -- took place on Galerny, one of three island-like areas separated by canals within the yard. The yard was first expanded northward from Galerny and later expanded southward to the hall and shops where submarine production later took place.

In 1908 the New Admiralty and the dockyard of the Galerny Island merged into a single enterprise - Admiralteisky Shipbuilding Plant. By the late 19th century the plant built squadron battleships, later - ships of the line (dreadnoughts), as well as cruisers and other ships. During the Great War (1914-18) ships and cars were repaired and ammunition was produced at the enterprise in addition to shipbuilding works. In 1917 the production was sharply reduced, and then stopped.




NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list



 
Page last modified: 09-07-2011 13:16:05 ZULU