Strelok Naval Base / ZATO Fokino / Bukhta Abrek
The second most important Russian naval base in the Maritime Region is the Strelok naval base (sometimes identified in Western sources as Racovaya), located some 65km south-west of Vladivostok and 10km south-west of Bol’shoi Kamen’ in the bay of Strelok. The base is attached to the enclosed city of Fokino (also referred to as Shkotovo-17) located on the Shkotovo Peninsula and is part of the large and comprehensive Strelok naval complex.
The Strelok naval base itself has at least two major points of basing for warships. They are Abrek Bay (at the northern end of the Bay of Strelok) and Pavlovskogo Bay (at the eastern end). As of 2003, the guided-missile cruisers Varyag and Admiral Lazarev, the Sovremenny class destroyers, Tarantul-III class corvettes, some Grishas and several amphibious warfare ships were home ported there. A number of Kilos were also stationed at Strelok.
The administrative center of the closed administrative-territorial formation [zakrytye administrativno- territorial'nye obrazovaniya] ZATO Fokino is the city of Fokino. The waterfront bay is Bukhta Abrek. Fokino is a city with the status of a closed administrative-territorial entity. On the territory of ZATO Fokino the base of the same name of the Russian Navy of the Pacific Fleet is located. It is named in honor of the commander of the Pacific Fleet, Admiral Vitaliy Alekseevich Fokin. It was officially renamed from Shkotovo-17 to Fokino by a resolution of the Government of the Russian Federation in early 1994. The town of military sailors was clean, comfortable, and always attracted the most brave guys, submariners. Fokino, one of the Pacific Fleet based points (Abrek Bay, Strelok Bay).
The history of the creation of this settlement was determined by the history of the development of the Pacific Fleet. And today, after the collapse of what happened in the 1990s of the 20th century, hopes for the future are revived among the residents of the territory in connection with the prospect of increasing the role of the ZATO urban district and the city of Fokino in the infrastructure system that ensures the basing and combat readiness of ships and Pacific Fleet units”.
After the reduction of the submarine flotilla in Pavlovsk and the actual termination of ship exits from the Abrek ZATO Fokino bay (DalRAO facility in Razboinik Bay), it again fulfills an important state task - the disposal and storage (for 70 years) of the PLA reactor compartments withdrawn from the Navy in the Far East.
The 31 May 2009 elections of the Duma of the ZATO of the city of Fokino have once again demonstrated that in the context of the unfolding economic crisis, the electoral preferences of voters are most affected by the technology of hauling and bribery. In Fokino, the majority of the deputies were actually voted by marginal strata of the population, while the prosperous part of the townspeople traditionally ignored the campaign at the polling station. According to observers, for the first time in the history of elections in the Primorsky Territory, at the polls of the Danube settlement, they offered drugs for votes. For the young generation of Fokinians, nonsense was more effective than the promises of candidates.
Fokino. The closed city of submariners and sailors. Those who know firsthand how much radioactive waste has accumulated in the region. Who faced the “fading” danger by the nature of their activity and lived next to it. It was here that the news of the construction of DalRAO's new Center for Radioactive Waste Management met with understanding and support. People know how the company works, trust it and associate hopes for the future of the city with it. The fleet is constantly updated, and the submarines that have developed their term must be prepared somewhere for disposal. Therefore, the need for the complex will remain for a very long time.
Public hearings on the construction of the Regional Center for Air Conditioning and Long-Term Storage of Solid Radioactive Waste (SRW) were held in the urban district of ZATO Fokino on March 24, 2017. During the event, representatives of the DalRAO regional recreation center - a branch of the Federal State Unitary Enterprise RosRAO and experts introduced participants to the rationale licenses for state environmental impact assessment of the project. The discussion was attended by the director of DalRAO Konstantin Sidenko, the ex-speaker of the Legislative Assembly of the Primorsky Territory Viktor Gorchakov, the head of the urban district of ZATO Fokino Alexander Baranov, as well as representatives of the public and local residents.
The area of the special storage facility for spent nuclear fuel and other hazardous waste will not increase. A complex will appear that will transfer the radioactive waste of "temporary" storage into the status of "long-term". The auction for design and development work on the construction of a "Regional center for conditioning and long-term storage of radioactive waste in the Primorsky Territory" worth almost 211 million rubles, Rosatom Corporation published on the official website of public procurement. Judging by it, the company plans to increase the storage volume of radioactive waste in the area of the coastal bay of Sysoyev by almost 15 times.
A total of 54 reactor compartments of decommissioned nuclear submarines that were afloat in the Razboinik Bay of ZATO Fokino by 2020 will be transferred to safe condition and put into long-term ground storage. In addition, 19 compartments that will be delivered from Kamchatka will be neutralized and “mothballed” in Primorye. The atomic cleaning and painting workshop of the reactor compartments as part of the "Long-Term Storage of Reactor Compartments" (PDHRO), built as part of Russian-Japanese cooperation, will help specialists in this task. The grand opening of the new workshop took place on June 24 at the DalRAO recreation center in the closed Fokino.
The issue of radiation is especially relevant in Primorye in the light of the tragic events of past years. In 1985, a nuclear reactor exploded on the K-431 nuclear submarine in Chazhma Bay. It led to severe radioactive contamination of the area and the most difficult liquidation of the consequences of the accident, which still sits firmly in the consciousness of Primorye. Thus, the fear of "everything radioactive" that strengthened in the subconscious against the backdrop of the Chazhma accident and the explosion of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant brought people to rallies in the late 80s against the introduction of the Sevmorput nuclear powered lighter carrier into the Far Eastern Shipping Company.
On October 20, 1938, by a decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR, the Far Eastern Territory was divided into the Khabarovsk and Primorsky regions. On this day, the Primorsky Territory received its modern name and gained its current administrative and territorial status. And the first settlements appeared on the territory of Primorye in the Paleolithic era, in the X millennium BC.
In 1861, the Russian government took the path of state promotion of resettlement to the Amur and Primorsky regions: according to promulgated law, these territories were declared open for settlement by peasants who did not have land, and enterprising people of all classes who wanted to relocate at their own expense. Migrants were allotted for free use a plot of land of up to 100 acres for each family, they were forever exempted from the poll tax and for 10 years from recruitment; for a fee, settlers could additionally acquire land in private ownership; duty-free trade was introduced in the region (port-free mode), etc. These measures, as well as the abolition of serfdom in Russia in 1861, which increased the migration mobility of the population, contributed to the influx of peasants, Cossacks, workers, into the Far Eastern land,
Of great importance for accelerating the settlement and economic development of the Far East (and the Ussuri region in particular) was the construction of the Trans-Siberian Railway: during the construction of its eastern section - the Ussuri Railway - the influx of capital and workers increased sharply. With the start of the government led by P.A. Stolypin, agrarian reform, the resettlement movement in the outskirts is encouraged by providing the immigrants with various benefits, and the influx of peasants into the Far Eastern outskirts is greatly increasing. The population in Primorye at the beginning of the twentieth century continued to grow and by 1913 reached 480 thousand people.
Economic development of the Far East and Primorye took place on the basis of free market relations. The abundance of free fertile land provided scope for the rapid development of agricultural production. The leading branch of agriculture was agriculture. On the whole, Primorye was distinguished by a variety of cultivated crops: wheat, rye, oats, buckwheat, potatoes, millet, legumes, sunflower, corn, etc. were grown here. Gardening, horticulture, and melon cultivation have been developing since the end of the 19th century. Livestock was of great importance. Mainly cattle, horses, pigs were bred, antler reindeer husbandry was born, beekeeping and poultry farming developed. Since 1912, agronomic assistance to the village has been organized, significant high-value farms are being formed, and a layer of large rural entrepreneurs is being formed.
In 1941, the Primorsky Territory, together with the whole country, rose to fight Nazi Germany, becoming a closed, fortified base of the Pacific Fleet. During the Great Patriotic War, Primorye played a huge role in supporting the Soviet troops, transporting the lion's share of cargo under Lend-Lease.
The years of the War became for Primorye a time of exertion of all life forces. A heavy load fell on the edge in the production of military equipment and shells, ship repair, and the extraction of timber, coal, rare and non-ferrous metals. Primorye, along with other coastal regions of the Far East, has become almost the only fishing base in the country. The port of Vladivostok, the Far Eastern Shipping Company and the Far Eastern Railway carried out the bulk of the transport traffic in the USSR.
Electricity supply to ZATO Fokino (Primorsky Krai) has been completely restored, the press service of the regional department of the Ministry of Emergencies of the Russian Federation reported May 21, 2019.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|