The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW

Military


Physical fields control vessel
Project 1806 Zvuk
Project 18061
Project 18061BD
Project 18061K
Project 18065 "Victor Subbotin"
NATO: Onega Class

Vessels for the control of physical fields of Project 18065 are intended for measurement of acoustic, electromagnetic, electric, magnetic fields of surface ships and submarines. Until 1977 these units were classified by the USSR as hydroacoustic control vessels.

NATO designated these ships the Onega Class, and they were assessed as AGS Surveying Ship. Lake Onega is part of the extensive shipping canal system that links the Caspian Sea with the Baltic Sea; many vessels entering the Great Lakes originate in the Baltic Sea region. The peculiarities of the Finnish theater of war that caused the greatest combat difficulties were the absolute lack of roads and the close character of the terrain which, with its vast zone of virgin forests, is so very different from the European landscape in latitudes farther south. Throughout the trackless, desolate region deepest solitude and deathly silence reign supreme. Lakes, swamps, moors, and loose rock are characteristic of the Karelian landscape.

Although on the Karelian Isthmus (the corridor between the Gulf of Finland and Lake Ladoga) and in the area between Lake Ladoga and Lake Onega the woods in some places are very dense and include old stands of trees, the timber becomes lighter and weaker the farther one goes north. Two important ports are situated on the White Sea; Arkhangelsk on Dvina Bay in the east and Belomorsk at the mouth of the White Sea-Canal in Onega Bay in the west. The White Sea Canal (formerly the Stalin Canal), which was built in just 20 months by mostly political prisoners during the Stalin period, runs between Lake Onega and the White Sea. This canal connecting the Rybinsk reservoir with Lake Onega is 36l km long and extends completely across the territory of Vologda Oblast.

Naval and commercial oceanic craft are, primarily, of steel construction. Thus, they are magnetized and they corrode. Loosely, the vessels have magnetic and electric signatures in their vicinity. As a result, vessels can be detected, recognized and targeted by their electric and magnetic signatures. The perceived risk and potential loss, human and economic, have driven research and development (R&D) efforts to understand and manage the electromagnetic (EM) signatures of vessels. These studies have addressed passive and active signature reduction, corrosion prevention, detection and classification, and ambient fields.

Vessels, such as naval frigates and oceanic liners, have magnetic signatures due to the iron in their construction. The static magnetization of a typical frigate-sized vessel is about 10000 nT at beam depth. Signature reduction technologies such as deperming and degaussing can reduce this to about 1000 - 2000 nT. The hull and propulsion parts of vessels are made of different metals, setting up a corrosion cell with the seawater. The electric current due to corrosion drives an almost static electric and magnetic field. A vessels propulsion leads to alternating electric fields at the shaft frequency and its harmonics.

The threat from multi-influence, smart mines is expected to continue to increase in the near future. Reliance of the mines on the various electric and magnetic signatures is likely to grow. R&D resources should continue to be dedicated to addressing this compelling threat. Reduction of EM signatures, determining the tolerable signature levels, and defining operational procedures and tactics are important activities in the near term. Predictive signature model development to guide future vessel construction is likely to be important in the mid to long term.

In 1966, the TZZ was issued to the Zelenodolsk Design Bureau for the creation of a universal SFP pr. 1806. The main designer of this ship was L.S. Tsvirko, and the main observer was Captain 2nd Rank Yu.D.Maksanchikov. These vessels became a development of ships of pr.513 on pr.513M. The vessel is intended for measuring the acoustic, electromagnetic, electric, magnetic fields of surface ships and submarines. The vessel was equipped with all kinds of equipment for measuring and controlling physical fields. For its power in the "Silence" mode, diesel generators placed in soundproofing cabins for the first time began to be used.

The total displacement reached 1,460 tons, the speed of the full course of 14 knots, the range of navigation 1,000 miles, the autonomy of 15 days. On the ship there was a runway for the temporary basing of a light overland helicopter of the Ka-26 type.

The lead vessel for control of physical fields "GKS-283" of project 1806, plant No. 401 was established on March 26, 1971 at the SS of the name of A.M. Gorky, the city of Zelenodolsk, launched on July 1, 1972 and put into operation on December 30, 1972. Since 1977 the ship has been called "SFP-283". The vessel was distributed to the Baltic Fleet. Further development was the ship pr.18061 designed in the same PKB team led by chief designer A. Myshakin, the main observer from the Navy was Captain 3rd Rank E. S. Kuznetsov.

In 1977, the ZPKB developed a technical project vessel for the 1806I project on the basis of a vessel for monitoring and measuring the physical fields of the 1806 project, and then the contractual project of the Physical Vessel of the Project 18061, which guaranteed the vessel's tactical and technical characteristics. This vessel already took into account the experience of creating and testing the vessel for monitoring and measuring the physical fields of the project 1806 and provided for the placement of advanced equipment, the use and refinement of new techniques.

In particular, to accelerate the measurements of electric, magnetic and low-frequency electromagnetic fields of submarines of the third generation, a special giant "application" to the vessel of the physical fields of Project 18061 was created - the so-called bridge-pontoon. It is a floating arch of a truss structure with dimensions of 23 34x20, On this ship with the same displacement, it was possible to place more sophisticated equipment for measuring fields and to install a computer for solving special problems. The main ship of this project was also built at the Shipyard. Gorky in the city of Zelenodolsk in 1983. By the beginning of the 1980s, it became necessary to calibrate the acoustic ranges of the Navy.

In 1983, the Bureau developed an addition to the project 18061 project with special equipment "Wave", "Sound" and BM-4. But the adoption of this equipment was possible only if the body was extended by 10 meters or refused to measure the electric, magnetic and low-frequency electromagnetic fields, which seemed inexpedient. In 1984, a study was carried out with the equipment on the basis of "Waves" and BD-2, which was approved, and with its account issued documentation for the construction of the vessel. There were two such vessels built.

A total of 6 vessels for the control and measurement of the physical fields of the project 1806, 11 vessels of the physical fields of the project 18061. Of these, 6 were built and delivered in 2005 after the long break and the building of the 13th was transferred to the Zelenodolsk plant. The last ship of this project was handed over to the Navy in 2005 (SPS Victor Subbotin).

In July 1991, the Navy and the Ministry of Shipbuilding Industry decided to create on the vessel's base the physical fields of project 18061 of Project 18063 ship for measuring the levels of underwater noise of particularly low-noise objects.

For delivery for export in the Zelenodolsk Design Bureau, the project's physical field control vessel 18065 was designed. The project is based on many years of experience in successful operation of 1806, 18061 vessels with measurement technology that has no analogue. It is a multifunctional mobile laboratory for measuring the parameters of physical fields (acoustic, electromagnetic, electric, magnetic) surface ships and submarines during the entire operation of their own naval forces. The ship of control of physical fields of the White Sea naval base SFP-286 "Mikhail Lomonosov" was put into the floating dock of the shipyard Krasny Kuznitsa in Arkhangelsk in early 2014. This was reported to the Central Naval Portal by its own source in the Northern Fleet.




NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list



 
Page last modified: 17-03-2018 18:50:01 ZULU