109 Squadron - The Valley
Israel formed the 109 squadron in July 1951, composed of the Mosquito FB.6 and PR.16 aircraft. The Mosquito aircraft had a number of structural problems, which led to the disbanding of the 109 squadron for several months in 1956, until it was reformed with new Mystere IVA aircraft in August 1956.
The reformed 109 squadron took part in the Six Day War of June 1967, but suffered several losses. Before the end of the year, the 109 squadron became the first Israeli squadron to operate the A-4H, which it used to conduct a bombing run on terrorist bases in Jordan. The squadron saw action in the Yom Kippur War of 1973, and in 1977, the unit was converted to the Kfir C-1.
In the early 1980s, the 109 squadron was upgraded to the Kfir C-2, which conducted attacks against PLO and Syrian positions in 1982. In 1991, The 109 squadron received more than two dozen F-16C aircraft, bringing it up to the level of the 110 squadron. As of 2005, the 109 squadron flew exclusively F-16D aircraft.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|