The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW



The 10th Armored Division was variously reported to be headquarted at Al Teeb (Immarah), Al Teab, or Al Amara. Of these locations, the only placename that can be readily identified is Amara or Amarah. There is also the stream Nahr at Tib, also variously known as Tib Rud, Shatt at Tib, and At Tib.

Some sources also placed the IV Corps headquarters at Amara.

In November 1998, more than 150 detainees in the southern city of Amara reportedly were ordered killed by Qusay Hussein (Saddam Hussein's son).

On February 19, 1999, Grand Ayatollah Mohammad Sadiq as-Sadr, the most senior Shi'a religious leader in Iraq, was killed in downtown Najaf when the car he was riding in was boxed in by two other cars and hit by machine gun fire. Two of his sons also were killed in the attack. As-Sadr's death was widely attributed to the Government, as he was killed immediately after leading Friday prayers despite an order not to do so issued by Central Euphrates Region Military Governor and Revolutionary Command Council member Mohammad Hamza al Zubeidi. Outside Baghdad illegal assemblies of Shi'a took place in most of the major cities of the south in reaction to the as-Sadr killing. Ali Hassan al-Majid, the military "supergovernor" for southern Iraq, reportedly declared martial law throughout the region. Several Shi'a sources report that in Amara, Sheikh Ali as-Sahalani, the imam of the Majar al-Kabir mosque, allegedly was shot and killed along with other mourners; the angry crowd then reportedly seized control of the city for a short while. To prevent them from leading religious gatherings, the chief Shi'a clerics of Basra and Nasiriyah reportedly were arrested. These government actions ultimately silenced the mourners and protesters, and the disturbances had ended by late February 1999.

Join the mailing list

One Billion Americans: The Case for Thinking Bigger - by Matthew Yglesias

Page last modified: 09-07-2011 02:47:23 ZULU