SCOUT, WASP (WESTLAND)
The Scout was first flown in 1958. The UK army took delivery of about 150 Scouts, which were fitted with a skid undercarriage. The Royal Navy received its first deliveries of Wasps in 1963. The Wasp has a wheeled undercarriage and a single tail flat on the right side of the tail boom. The four-blade main rotor is mounted on a shaft behind the cabin and between the cabin and engine. The single turboshaft engine is mounted exposed behind rear of cabin. the fuselage features a rounded nose, stepped-up, glassed-in cockpit, including top, with a slightly tapered rear section and fixed landing gear. The swept-back, tapered fin features a small rotor on the left. Rectangular flats (Army version) are mounted to the underside of the boom below the fin.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|