Puerto Deseado Oceanographic Vessel
Oceanographic Vessel built by "SHIPYARD ARGENTINOS RIO DE LA PLATA", under contract with the Navy in December 1971 and transferred it to the National Scientific Research Council (CONICET) as approved by Decree National Convention in 1972. It is operated by the Navy Argentina as one of its support vessels. Through this ship, the country, aware of the vital importance for the future is the systematic study of the sea and its resources, meets cooperative research programs, thus contributing to the harmonious development of the national potential.
Platform for safe and efficient work, designed to operate in one of the harshest seas of the world, allows collection of useful to the various disciplines covered by ocean science data. During the Falklands War the ship served as a hospital ship. It is the first ship of the Navy is named in tribute to the sailor and Patagonian city of Puerto Deseado. It is also used as support vessel Antarctic campaigns. Her hull was painted orange.
|Puerto Deseado||Q20||Astarsa, Buenos Aires||February 1979|
|Displacement||2,400 tons. at full load.|
|Dimensions||76.8 x 15.8 x 3.5 (m).|
|Propulsion||Diesel engines Man 2 9L20 / 27 KW 900 c / u, 2 alternating current electric motors mark ABB 380V, 120 KW, for auxiliary propulsion system and variable pitch propeller Berg, 3 propellers.|
|Autonomy||12,000 nautical miles at 12 knots.|
|Crew||Men 61 plus 20 scientists.|
|Radars||1629 Decca navigation.|
|Scientific equipment||Gravamétricos equipment, magnetometers, seismic systems, high frequency sonar and geological laboratory.|
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|