09 December 2022 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S. Central Command Called Central Asian Partners CENTCOM 09 Dec 2022 -- From Col. Joe Buccino, CENTCOM Spokesman:
- Remarks by Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III at the U.S. Strategic Command Change of Command Ceremony (As Delivered) DoD 09 Dec 2022
- Hicks Says U.S. Strengthening Indo-Pacific Alliances DoD News 09 Dec 2022 -- Deputy Defense Secretary Kathleen H. Hicks spoke at the 2022 Aspen Security Forum yesterday about the DOD's pacing challenge.
- Stratcom Gets New Leader DoD News 09 Dec 2022 -- Navy Adm. Charles Richard passed command of U.S. Strategic Command to Air Force Gen. Anthony J. Cotton today during a ceremony at the LeMay Command and Control Facility at Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska.
- DOD Prepares for U.S.-Africa Summit DoD News 09 Dec 2022 -- Next week, the Defense Department will participate in the White House-led U.S.-Africa Leaders Summit in Washington.
- Will Rogers ANGB selected as sole candidate to replace MC-12s with new AT-802U Sky Warden Formal Training Unit US Air Force 09 Dec 2022 -- Secretary of the Air Force Frank Kendall selected Will Rogers Air National Guard Base, Oklahoma, as the sole candidate location to replace its MC-12 Liberty with the AT-802U Sky Warden and to convert the MC-12 Formal Training Unit to the AT-802U Total Force Integration FTU.
- World Famous Vanguard of HM-14 fly final flight! US Navy 09 Dec 2022 -- The World Famous Vanguard of Helicopter Mine Countermeasures Fourteen (HM-14) flew the final flight of the squadron in Norfolk, Virginia on Dec. 8.
- USS California Returns Home US Navy 09 Dec 2022 -- The Virginia-class fast-attack submarine USS California (SSN 781) returned home to Naval Submarine Base New London on Thursday, Dec. 8, after a four-month deployment.
- CTF 70 and 71 Conduct Bi-lateral ASW Training and Logistics Support with JMSDF US Navy 09 Dec 2022 -- Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) 51, assigned to Commander, Task Force (CTF) 70 and CTF 71 conducted bi-lateral anti-submarine warfare (ASW) training with the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) Dec. 6.
- African Lion, NCO development discussed during visits in Senegal AFRICOM 09 Dec 2022 -- The commanding general and command sergeant major of the U.S. Army's Southern European Task Force - Africa concluded a three-country visit to West Africa Dec. 7-9 here.
- The United States Imposes Sanctions on Russian Entities Involved in UAV Deal With Iran US Dept. of State 09 Dec 2022 -- "Today, we are imposing sanctions on three Russian entities connected to Moscow's growing military relationship with Tehran - a relationship that includes the transfer of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) from Iran. The Kremlin is deploying these UAVs against Ukraine, including in large-scale attacks on civilian infrastructure."
- Fact Sheet on U.S. Security Assistance to Ukraine - December 09, 2022 DOD
- $275 Million in Additional Assistance for Ukraine DoD 09 Dec 2022 -- Today, the Department of Defense (DoD) announces the authorization of a Presidential Drawdown of security assistance valued at up to $275 million to meet Ukraine's critical security and defense needs. This authorization is the Biden Administration's twenty-seventh drawdown of equipment from DoD inventories for Ukraine since August 2021.
- $275 Million in Additional U.S. Military Assistance for Ukraine US Dept. of State 09 Dec 2022 -- In recent weeks the Kremlin has increased its attacks against critical infrastructure, attacks that are causing widespread suffering for the people of Ukraine.
- Memorandum on Delegation of Authority Under Section 506(a)(1) of the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961 The White House 09 Dec 2022
- US to send $275 million worth of weapons to Ukraine as EU increases arms for Kiev Press TV 09 Dec 2022 -- The United States has agreed to send more weapons to Ukraine as the European Union is to add 2 billion euros ($2.1 billion) to a fund used to help arm Kiev.
- $275 Million More in US Military Aid to Ukraine VOA 09 Dec 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden authorized a new round of $275 million in military aid for Ukraine, offering new capabilities to defeat drones and boost air defenses, according to a memo released Friday by the White House.
- China's new high-altitude, high-speed demonstrator drone makes first flight Global Times 09 Dec 2022 -- China recently carried out the maiden flight for a type of new high-altitude, high-speed demonstrator drone, which can help test and verify a number of new technologies including artificial intelligence, loyal wingman and drone swarm, the aircraft's maker announced on Thursday.
- U.S. official denies support for Ukraine causing Taiwan arms backlog CNA 09 Dec 2022 -- The United States' efforts to support Ukraine with military equipment is "in no way" obstructing its plans to provide arms for Taiwan, Deputy Secretary of Defense Kathleen Hicks said Thursday at a security forum.
- Use U.S. grant to upgrade Taiwan's military command systems: Experts CNA 09 Dec 2022 -- Taiwan should capitalize on a proposed US$10 billion grant set out in the U.S.' 2023 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) to upgrade its automated command and control systems, a military expert said Friday.
- U.S. hints at Indo-Pacific military buildup to deter attack on Taiwan CNA 09 Dec 2022 -- Washington is likely to bolster its military forces in the Indo-Pacific next year to create a "more lethal" and "more resilient" deterrence to any Chinese plans to take control of Taiwan militarily, according to a senior U.S. Department of Defense official.
- US House Passes National Defense Authorization Act, Including $10B for Taiwan VOA 09 Dec 2022 -- Paving the way for the U.S. defense budget to hit a record $858 billion next year, the U.S. House of Representatives has passed legislation that could provide as much as $10 billion in aid to Taiwan over five years.
- US House passes bill to spend US$12 billion in military aid to Taiwan CNA 09 Dec 2022 -- The United States House of Representatives on Thursday passed the 2023 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) that authorizes up to US$12 billion in grants and loans to Taiwan over the next five years to buy U.S. weapons.
- PM announces new international coalition to develop the next generation of combat aircraft UK MOD 09 Dec 2022 -- The UK, Italy and Japan will join forces to develop the fighter jets of the future.
- Policy paper - Joint Statement from Prime Ministers of UK, Italy and Japan: 9 December 2022 UK MOD 09 Dec 2022 -- As leaders of Italy, Japan and the UK, we are committed to upholding the rules-based, free and open international order, which is more important than ever at a time when these principles are contested, and threats and aggression are increasing.
- UK, Japan and Italy Launch Project to Develop 6th Generation Fighter Sputnik 09 Dec 2022 -- The United Kingdom, Japan, and Italy have agreed to launch the Global Combat Air Programme (GCAP) to jointly develop a new generation fighter by 2035, the UK Prime Minister's Office said on Friday.
- India has emerged as a self-assured & self-reliant nation which believes in collective well-being, but rejects interference in internal matters: Raksha Mantri at an event in New Delhi India PIB 09 Dec 2022 -- India has emerged as a self-assured and self-reliant nation which believes in working together for the collective well-being, but rejects interference in its internal matters.
- PARTICIPATION OF WOMEN IN DEFENCE SECTOR India PIB 09 Dec 2022
- INDUSTRIES SUPPORTED UNDER THE TECHNOLOGY DEVELOPMENT FUND India PIB 09 Dec 2022
- SPACE DEFENCE MISSION India PIB 09 Dec 2022 -- Mission DefSpace was launched by Hon'ble Prime Minister during DefExpo in October, 2022 with 75 Defence Space Challenges relevant to the end users. These challenges have been categorised into existing DDP initiatives of iDEX, Make-I and Make-2. Private Industries, including Start-ups, MSMEs and Individual Innovators, are eligible to apply. The challenges, classified into five buckets viz. Launch System, Satellite System, Communication & Payload System, Ground System and Software System, provide a holistic 3600 overview of space.
- Ministry of Defence decided on procurement of short and long-range missiles Finnish MoD 09 Dec 2022 -- The Ministry of Defence authorised the Defence Forces to order SPIKE SR, LR2 and ER2 missile systems. The procurement was implemented through NATO Support and Procurement Agency (NSPA) and the Land Combat Missiles partnership programme. The product manufacturer is Rafael Advanced Defense Systems Ltd.
- The President: It is the duty of every EU member state to invest in its security President of the Republic of Lithuania 09 Dec 2022 -- On Friday, President Gitanas Nausėda met with General Robert Brieger, the Chairman of the European Union Military Committee. The meeting focused on Russia's war in Ukraine, the security situation in the region, as well as support for Ukraine.
- Nigeria's Air Force to Purchase Over 50 New Combat Aircrafts & Helicopters to Fight Terrorism Sputnik 09 Dec 2022 -- The West African country is facing major internal security threats from terrorist groups in the northeast of the country along with various armed gangs, who used to kidnap and kill locals in the northwest. Meanwhile, separatist movements are on the rise in Nigeria's southeast, seeking to form an Igbo state.
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Meeting with German Chancellery Foreign and Security Policy Advisor Jens Ploetner US Dept. of State 09 Dec 2022
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Meeting with German State Secretary Andreas Michaelis US Dept. of State 09 Dec 2022
- Secretary Blinken's Meeting with Polish Foreign Minister Rau US Dept. of State 09 Dec 2022
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken And Polish Foreign Minister Zbigniew Rau Before Their Meeting US Dept. of State 09 Dec 2022
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken At the Anti-Corruption Champions Award Ceremony US Dept. of State 09 Dec 2022
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre, December 9, 2022 The White House 09 Dec 2022
- Department Press Briefing - December 9, 2022 US Dept. of State 09 Dec 2022
- 9 December 2022 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 09 Dec 2022
- Secretary-General's remarks at the CERF High-Level Event UN Secretary-General 09 Dec 2022
- UN Security Council Protects Humanitarian Aid from Sanctions VOA 09 Dec 2022 -- The U.N. Security Council adopted a resolution Friday that will protect humanitarian assistance from unintended negative impacts across all regimes targeted by U.N. sanctions.
- UN Security Council Adopts Resolution Establishing Humanitarian Carveout across UN Sanctions Regimes US Dept. of State 09 Dec 2022 -- "Today's adoption of UN Security Council Resolution 2664 is a critical step to enabling the unimpeded delivery of food, medicine, and humanitarian aid, while upholding robust sanctions - critical to driving our foreign policy goals."
- Statement from Secretary of the Treasury Janet L. Yellen on Adoption of Resolution Establishing Humanitarian Carveout Across UN Sanctions Regimes US Treasury 09 Dec 2022 -- Secretary of the Treasury Janet L. Yellen released the following statement following the adoption of United Nations Security Council Resolution 2664, which establishes a humanitarian carveout across UN sanctions regimes:
- UN: Growing Disregard for Human Rights Threatens Global Peace and Development VOA 09 Dec 2022 -- On the eve of Human Rights Day, the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights, Volker Tuerk, launched a yearlong campaign to mark the adoption 75 years ago of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
- Genocide threat still real, UN chief says, commemorating victims worldwide UN News 09 Dec 2022 -- In response to rising hate speech and discrimination worldwide, UN Secretary-General António Guterres has urged countries to take concrete steps to protect minorities and other communities at risk of genocide.
- Facing Poverty and Hostility, Refugees in Turkey Mull Return to War-Torn Syria VOA 09 Dec 2022 -- Amid rampant inflation and an economic crisis in Turkey, and with an election scheduled in 2023, political rhetoric is turning against Syrian refugees in the country. Many are considering returning to their homeland, which is still ravaged by civil war.
- Myanmar junta raid and burn 20 villages over 3 days in Sagaing region Radio Free Asia 09 Dec 2022 -- Junta troops stormed 20 villages in Tigyaing township over three days this week, burning down over 400 houses as their arson campaign continued in Myanmar's Sagaing region.
- Security 'one of the most significant challenges' in DR Congo, Security Council hears UN News 09 Dec 2022 -- Despite the resilience of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), security is "one of the most significant challenges" it faces, the head of the UN mission in the country, MONUSCO, told the Security Council on Friday.
- The recent ceasefire is an opportunity to ensure peace prevails in the Democratic Republic of the Congo UK FCDO 09 Dec 2022 -- Statement by Ambassador James Kariuki at the Security Council briefing on MONUSCO
- Critical Aid Arrives in Conflict-Ridden Northern Ethiopia as Cease-fire Holds VOA 09 Dec 2022 -- The U.N. refugee agency, UNHCR, reports it is stepping up critical aid to thousands of refugees and internally displaced people in conflict-ridden northern Ethiopia.
- UNHCR ramps up assistance to refugees, displaced families in northern Ethiopia as peace returns UNHCR 09 Dec 2022 -- UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is stepping up assistance to conflict-affected populations in Ethiopia's northern Tigray, Afar and Amhara regions.
- Influx of South Sudan IDPs Leads to Severe Overcrowding at UN Protection Site VOA 09 Dec 2022 -- A protection site for internally displaced persons in South Sudan is facing severe overcrowding following an influx of new arrivals. The site, which is protected by U.N. peacekeepers and designed to host 12,000 people, now has more than 37,000 occupants as thousands more continue to be uprooted by violence in Upper Nile state.
- Nigerian Rights Commission Set to Probe Alleged Secret, Forced Abortion Program by Military VOA 09 Dec 2022 -- Nigeria's human rights commission said Friday it will probe a report that the Nigerian military has secretly run an abortion program that terminated thousands of pregnancies among women and girls who were rescued from Boko Haram militants. The report said most of the abortions involved tricking or forcing women to take pills or injections. The military has rejected the report, calling it untrue.
- Ebola trial candidate vaccines arrive in Uganda in record 79 days after outbreak declared WHO 09 Dec 2022
- Combating Global Corruption and Human Rights Abuses US Dept. of State 09 Dec 2022 -- "On International Anti-Corruption Day and on the eve of Human Rights Day, the United States is taking dozens of actions to promote accountability for corruption and human rights abuse around the world. In doing so, we are using a range of accountability tools, including Global Magnitsky sanctions and the Department of State's Section 7031(c) visa restriction authority, to designate more than 65 individuals and entities connected to corruption and human rights abuses in 17 countries."
- Treasury Sanctions Over 40 Individuals and Entities Across Nine Countries Connected to Corruption and Human Rights Abuse US Treasury 09 Dec 2022 -- Today the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), in recognition of International Anti-Corruption Day and Human Rights Day, is sanctioning a diverse array of over 40 individuals and entities that are connected to corruption or human rights abuse across nine countries.
- U.S. issues slew of sanctions ahead of Human Rights Day Radio Free Asia 09 Dec 2022 -- A day ahead of International Human Rights Day, the United States on Friday issued sanctions against dozens of entities accused of rights abuses, including some linked to China's illegal fishing industry, Tibet's chief of police and a North Korean security agency.
- U.K. Says It Has Sanctioned 30 More Political Figures, Rights Violators RFE/RL 09 Dec 2022 -- The United Kingdom has announced a new wave of sanctions that targets 30 individuals and entities -- including several Iranian and Russian officials -- it says are oppressing fundamental freedoms around the world.
- UK sanctions target 30 corrupt political figures, human rights violators and perpetrators of conflict-related sexual violence around the world UK FCDO 09 Dec 2022 -- The Foreign Secretary announced sanctions that target corrupt political figures, those violating human rights, and perpetrators of sexual-violence in conflict.
- Foreign Ministry statement on imposing personal sanctions on a number of Canadian nationals Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 09 Dec 2022
- News conference following the visit to Kyrgyzstan President of Russia 09 Dec 2022 -- Concluding his working visit to Kyrgyzstan, the President answered journalists' questions.
- Video address to the participants of the joint meeting of SCO and CIS defence ministers President of Russia 09 Dec 2022
- Meeting of the Supreme Eurasian Economic Council President of Russia 09 Dec 2022 -- Vladimir Putin took part in a meeting of the Supreme Eurasian Economic Council in Bishkek.
- Putin: Russia Won't Suffer Losses After West Imposes Oil Price Cap - No Matter What Sputnik 09 Dec 2022 -- The Russian president noted that the adoption of the oil price cap would inevitably reduce global investments to zero, subsequently resulting in another price hike.
- Conversation with Prime Minister of Armenia Nikol Pashinyan President of Russia 09 Dec 2022 -- Vladimir Putin met with Prime Minister of the Republic of Armenia Nikol Pashinyan in Bishkek.
- Russia finds new source of catalysts in Iran as West stops trade Press TV 09 Dec 2022 -- Iran's deputy minister of petroleum and the CEO of National Petrochemical Company (NPC) says Russia has used nearly one ton of Iranian-made petrochemical catalysts in its petrochemical complexes, noting that their demand for new purchases is rising despite the US sanctions against the Islamic Republic.
- Canada and G7-plus partners impose price cap on Russian crude oil Canada 09 Dec 2022 -- The Honourable Mélanie Joly, Minister of Foreign Affairs, today announced that Canada is imposing further measures in response to the Russian regime's illegal invasion and attempted annexation of Ukrainian territory.
- Russia: Statement by the Spokesperson on the sentencing of politician Ilya Yashin European External Action Service (EEAS) 09 Dec 2022 -- A Moscow court today sentenced the Russian politician Ilya Yashin to 8,5 years in prison for his reporting about atrocities committed by Russia's armed forces against Ukrainian civilians in Bucha.
- Griner Arrives In U.S. As Biden Continues Fight To Free Whelan, Others From Russian Prisons RFE/RL 09 Dec 2022 -- American basketball star Brittney Griner arrived in the United States on December 9 after being freed from a Russian jail in a high-profile prisoner exchange.
- The Week In Russia: A 'Monstrous' War, A 'Vindictive Will To Spread Terror' RFE/RL 09 Dec 2022 -- Joy over the homecoming of a U.S. basketball star freed from Russian custody in a swap with an arms dealer dubbed the "Merchant of Death" was clouded by concern for the Americans still being held.
- Russian Officer Who Fled To Kazakhstan To Avoid Mobilization To Ukraine War Faces Deportation RFE/RL 09 Dec 2022 -- An officer with Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB) who fled to Kazakhstan to avoid Moscow's military mobilization for the war in Ukraine is in custody and faces deportation from the Central Asian nation.
- Russian Opposition Politician Ilya Yashin Sentenced To Eight Years In Prison RFE/RL 09 Dec 2022 -- A Moscow court has sentenced opposition politician Ilya Yashin to 8 1/2 years in prison on a charge of spreading false information about the Russian military amid its ongoing invasion of Ukraine.
- 15 oil vessels blocked at Turkish Straits amid EU sanctions on Russian oil People's Daily 09 Dec 2022 -- Fifteen oil tankers were banned from passing through the Turkish Straits due to a lack of proper insurance amid the European sanctions on Russian oil, Türkiye's maritime authority said on Thursday.
- Russia, U.S. conduct prisoners swap People's Daily 09 Dec 2022 -- Russian citizen Viktor Bout was exchanged for U.S. basketball player Brittney Griner on Thursday at the Abu Dhabi airport, the Russian Foreign Ministry announced.
- Domestically developed first C919 jet delivered to China Eastern, 'marking a start in journey toward mass production' Global Times 09 Dec 2022 -- The world's first C919 aircraft, and also China's first domestically-developed passenger jet, was delivered to China Eastern Airlines in Shanghai on Friday, and is expected to be put into commercial operation in the spring of 2023.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Mao Ning's Regular Press Conference on December 9, 2022 PRC MofA 09 Dec 2022
- Historic summits chart course for China-Arab, GCC ties Global Times 09 Dec 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping and leaders from Arab states and GCC countries on Friday gathered in Riyadh, capital of Saudi Arabia, to continue developing bilateral friendliness, chart the course for building a China-Arab community with a shared future and further advance pragmatic cooperation.
- Chinese President Confirms that Chinese-Arab Relations Have Achieved Historic Leap SPA 09 Dec 2022 -- President Xi Jinping of the People's Republic of China, affirmed that the relations between the People's Republic of China and the Arab countries witnessed great developments, as the two sides established strategic partnership relations based on comprehensive cooperation and joint development for a better future.
- Statement of the Riyadh Summit for Cooperation and Development between the GCC and the People's Republic of China SPA 09 Dec 2022 -- Based on the gracious invitation of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, King of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the leaders of the Gulf Cooperation Council and the People's Republic of China held their meeting today in Riyadh on December 9, 2022, chaired by His Royal Highness Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, His Excellency Xi Jinping, President of the People's Republic of China, and the participation of:
- At Riyadh GCC-China Summit for Cooperation and Development.. President of China: Chinese-GCC Relations Wrote Impressive Chapters of Solidarity and Joint Cooperation SPA 09 Dec 2022 -- His Excellency President Xi Jinping of the People's Republic of China expressed his sincere thanks to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for its efforts to host the first summit between China and the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), expressing his happiness over the meeting and discussing ways to develop the Chinese-Gulf relations.
- Joint Statement at the Conclusion of the Saudi-Chinese Summit SPA 09 Dec 2022 -- At the Invitation of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, King of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and within the framework of strengthening strategic relations between the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the People's Republic of China, His Excellency the President of the People's Republic of China Xi Jinping paid an official State visit to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia during the period of 13th through the 15th of Jamada I 1444 AH , corresponding to the 7th through the 9th of December 2022.
- China, Saudi Arabia to jointly strive for greater progress in comprehensive strategic partnership People's Daily 09 Dec 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping and leaders of Saudi Arabia agreed here Thursday to jointly advance the China-Saudi Arabia comprehensive strategic partnership and achieve even greater progress.
- President Xi Jinping Holds Talks with Crown Prince and Prime Minister Mohammed bin Salman of Saudi Arabia PRC MofA 09 Dec 2022 -- At the noon of December 8 local time, President Xi Jinping held talks with Crown Prince and Prime Minister Mohammed bin Salman of Saudi Arabia at al-Yamamah Palace in Riyadh.
- China, Saudi Arabia deepen relations amid development synergy Global Times 09 Dec 2022 -- A grand welcoming ceremony, high-level bilateral meetings and wide-covering investment agreements are among proofs that China-Saudi Arabia relations have been lifted to a new high.
- Xi meets with King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud of Saudi Arabia People's Daily 09 Dec 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Thursday met with King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud of Saudi Arabia at Riyadh's al-Yamamah Palace.
- President Xi Jinping Meets with King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud of Saudi Arabia PRC MofA 09 Dec 2022 -- On the afternoon of December 8 local time, President Xi Jinping met with King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud of Saudi Arabia at Riyadh's al-Yamamah Palace.
- Xi Jinping Meets with Crown Prince of Kuwait Sheikh Mishal Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah PRC MofA 09 Dec 2022
- Xi Jinping Meets with Chairman of Sudan's Sovereignty Council Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan PRC MofA 09 Dec 2022
- Xi Jinping Meets with Mauritanian President Mohamed Ould Ghazouani PRC MofA 09 Dec 2022
- Xi Jinping Meets with President Ismail Omar Guelleh of Djibouti PRC MofA 09 Dec 2022
- Xi Jinping Meets with Qatari Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani PRC MofA 09 Dec 2022
- Xi Jinping Meets with Comorian President Azali Assoumani PRC MofA 09 Dec 2022
- Xi Jinping Meets with Somali President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud PRC MofA 09 Dec 2022
- Xi Jinping Meets with Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia' Sabbar al-Sudani PRC MofA 09 Dec 2022
- Xi Jinping Meets with Tunisian President Kais Saied PRC MofA 09 Dec 2022
- President Xi Jinping Meets with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi PRC MofA 09 Dec 2022 -- On the afternoon of December 8 local time, President Xi Jinping met with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi in Riyadh.
- President Xi Jinping Meets with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas PRC MofA 09 Dec 2022 -- On the afternoon of December 8 local time, President Xi Jinping met with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in Riyadh.
- US imposes sanctions on China over alleged rights abuses, illegal fishing Press TV 09 Dec 2022 -- The United States has imposed sanctions on China accusing it of human rights abuses in Tibet and over reports of fishing that it said caused damage to the marine ecosystem.
- Treasury Targets Serious Human Rights Abuse Aboard Distant Water Fishing Vessels Based in the People's Republic of China US Treasury 09 Dec 2022 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctioned two individuals, Li Zhenyu and Xinrong Zhuo, and the networks of entities they control, including Dalian Ocean Fishing Co., Ltd. and Pingtan Marine Enterprise, Ltd. (Nasdaq: PME) along with eight other affiliated entities. Additionally, this action identifies 157 People's Republic of China (PRC) flagged fishing vessels in which these entities have an interest.
- Gulf of Guinea Countries Agree to Stop Illegal Chinese Fishing VOA 09 Dec 2022 -- Chinese boats are decimating West Africa's fish stocks and fishing communities in the Gulf of Guinea, say environmental groups.
- Innocent-sounding 'care teams' spark fears of heightened surveillance in Hong Kong Radio Free Asia 09 Dec 2022 -- Hong Kong's plan to send "care teams" into residential neighborhoods has sparked fears that Communist Party controls and surveillance will extend further into people's lives, with patriotic recruits wielding power and information along the lines of local officials and volunteers who already do the government's bidding in mainland China.
- Uyghur groups urge world leaders to make Dec. 9 Uyghur Genocide Recognition Day Radio Free Asia 09 Dec 2022 -- Some 55 Uyghur organizations have called on world leaders to recognize Dec. 9 as Uyghur Genocide Recognition Day, marking the day a year ago that an independent U.K.-based Uyghur Tribunal announced its findings that China committed genocide against Uyghurs and other ethnic minorities in its western Xinjiang region
- China completes first seaborne hot launch with carrier rocket sending 14 satellites to orbit Global Times 09 Dec 2022 -- China's commercial carrier rockets have welcomed a new member to the family, after the Smart Dragon-3, or Jielong-3, made its successful maiden flight on Friday from the waters of the Yellow Sea, sending 14 satellites precisely into their designated orbit. Its debut further expanded the spectrum of China's launch vehicles and marked the country's first hot seaborne launch, filling multiple technical gaps in China's domestic aerospace industry.
- States responsible to stand against lawlessness, riots: Iran FM spox. IRNA 09 Dec 2022 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry Spokesman Nasser Kanaani has explained that effective and preventive measures in the face of any kind of lawlessness, riots, and promotion of unrest in the society are among the obvious responsibilities of the governments.
- Iran slams West's double standards, says maintaining security primary duty Press TV 09 Dec 2022 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman has slammed the new wave of "meddlesome" remarks by certain Western governments over the execution of a rioter, saying the West, which itself does not shy away from cracking down on protests, cannot act as a defender of the rights of others.
- Enemy's Daesh-like attacks against Islamic Revolution show extent of its hatred: Raeisi Press TV 09 Dec 2022 -- Iranian President Ebrahim Raeisi says enemies launched "Daesh-like" attacks against the Iranian people and the Islamic Revolution during the recent riots, stressing that perpetrators of the attacks against the Iranian security forces will be soon brought to justice.
- Brother Of Iranian Doctor Handed Death Sentence Says Wife's Confession Came After She Was Tortured RFE/RL 09 Dec 2022 -- The brother of Iranian doctor Hamid Qarahasanlou says interrogators severly tortured his brother's wife to extract a confession from her against her husband as security forces looked to pin the blame on protesters for the death of a member of the Basij paramilitary force during nationwide demonstrations.
- UK summons Iranian Chargé d'Affaires after Iranian regime executes protestor UK FCDO 09 Dec 2022 -- The UK government summoned the Iranian Chargé d'Affaires on 8 December following the execution of a protestor.
- Iran Government Vows to Execute More Protesters VOA 09 Dec 2022 -- One day after announcing the execution of an anti-government protester, Iranian state media said Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi and other government officials pledged to continue to crack down on unrest in the country despite widespread condemnation from the West.
- Belgian Court Halts Prisoner Exchange Treaty with Iran VOA 09 Dec 2022 -- Belgium's Supreme Court has prohibited the implementation of a prisoner exchange treaty with Iran.
- US shocked that sanctions produce 'defense partnership' between Russia and Iran Press TV 09 Dec 2022 -- The White House has expressed shock over a "full-scale defense partnership" between Russia and Iran, both targets of illegal US sanctions.
- Iran and Russia's 'sordid deals' threaten global security: Foreign Secretary's statement UK FCDO 09 Dec 2022 -- Foreign Secretary James Cleverly has called out 'sordid deals' between Russia and Iran as threats to global security.
- U.S. Imposes Sanctions On Turkish Businessman Over Iran Oil Trade RFE/RL 09 Dec 2022 -- The United States has blacklisted prominent Turkish businessman Sitki Ayan for allegedly operating a trading network that facilitated oil sales on behalf of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC).
- Joint Statement by Canada and United States on the Human Rights Situation in Iran US Dept. of State 09 Dec 2022
- Canada sanctions 22 Iranian individuals IRNA 09 Dec 2022 -- While Canada is accused of wide-ranging human rights abuses and killing of indigenous peoples, Ottawa on Friday imposed sanctions against 22 Iranian individuals accusing them of human rights violations.
- IRGC's Intelligence Organization identifies, arrests ringleaders of anti-Iran groups in Qom, Ardabil Press TV 09 Dec 2022 -- The Intelligence Organization of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has arrested a number of the ringleaders of counter-revolution groups involved in recent riots in the holy city of Qom and the northwestern Province of Ardabil.
- Tehran tells West to stop hosting anti-Iran terrorists Press TV 09 Dec 2022 -- The Foreign Ministry advises the West to rather stop hosting anti-Iran terrorists instead of portraying the Islamic Republic's response to recent Western-backed riots inside the country in a bad light.
- No successor for departing U.S. ambassador to Myanmar Radio Free Asia 09 Dec 2022 -- There will be no immediate replacement for the U.S. ambassador to Myanmar, Thomas Vajda, when he leaves his post this month, with his deputy instead taking over as chargé d'affaires "ad interim."
- Indian PM's BJP Secures Huge Win in Elections in His Home State VOA 08 Dec 2022 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party has won an overwhelming victory in a state assembly vote in his home state of Gujarat, putting it in a strong position ahead of the 2024 general elections.
- Tenth Japan-Australia 2+2 Foreign and Defence Ministerial Consultations Australia MFA 09 Dec 2022 -- H.E. Mr. HAYASHI Yoshimasa, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan, H.E. Mr. HAMADA Yasukazu, Minister of Defence of Japan, the Hon. Richard Marles MP, the Australian Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Defence, and Senator the Hon. Penny Wong, the Australian Minister for Foreign Affairs, held the Tenth Japan-Australia 2+2 Foreign and Defence Ministerial Consultations on 9 December 2022 in Tokyo.
- Canada imposes new sanctions on Russian, Iranian and Myanmar regimes Canada 09 Dec 2022 -- Today, on the eve of Human Rights Day, the Honourable Mélanie Joly, Minister of Foreign Affairs, announced that Canada is imposing measures on those complicit in gross and systematic human rights violations in Russia, Iran and Myanmar.
- Statement from President Biden on Political Prisoners in Cuba The White House 09 Dec 2022
- Can Kyrgyzstan's Parliament Withstand Intense Government Pressure? RFE/RL 09 Dec 2022 -- ALMATY, Kazakhstan -- Looming criminal cases, wire-tapping allegations, relatives under pressure.
- Austria's President Blasts Own Government For Blocking Romania And Bulgaria's Schengen Entry RFE/RL 09 Dec 2022 -- Austrian President Alexander Van der Bellen said on December 9 that he regrets a government decision to block Romania and Bulgaria from joining Europe's open-borders Schengen Area.
- Bangladesh PM Announces General Elections in January 2024 VOA 09 Dec 2022 -- Bangladesh's next general election will be held during the first week of January 2024, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina told a public rally Wednesday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|