29 May 2022 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS Sioux City Makes Historic Arrival to U.S. 5th Fleet US Navy 29 May 2022 -- USS Sioux City (LCS 11) arrived in the U.S. 5th Fleet region May 28, marking the first time a littoral combat ship has deployed to the Middle East.
- Erdogan says Turkey will not allow 'terrorism-supporting' states join NATO Press TV 29 May 2022 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says he will not allow "terrorism-supporting" countries enter NATO, days after Sweden and Finland submitted official bids to join the US-led military alliance.
- Erdogan Repeats Opposition To Finland And Sweden Joining NATO RFE/RL 29 May 2022 -- Turkey's president has told journalists he still intends to block Finland and Sweden's accession to NATO.
- Russia conducts another test-launch of Tsirkon hypersonic missile People's Daily 29 May 2022 -- Russian frigate Admiral Gorshkov successfully test-fired a Tsirkon hypersonic cruise missile from the Barents Sea on Saturday, Russia's Defense Ministry said.
- China keeps close eye on US dual carrier drills after PLA exercises Global Times 29 May 2022 -- The US Navy reportedly conducted dual aircraft carrier exercises on Saturday and Sunday to the southeast of Okinawa, not far from the location where the Liaoning aircraft carrier group of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy just wrapped up its three-week-long drills.
- China's J-16 fighter jets deployed in latest joint strategic patrol with Russia Global Times 29 May 2022 -- In the first such move, China's state broadcaster revealed on Sunday that the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Air Force deployed fighter jets as escorts for Chinese and Russian bombers during last week's regular joint aerial strategic patrol in the Asia-Pacific region by the two major powers, with experts saying more advanced fighter jets like China's J-20 and Russia's Su-57 could join the patrol next time.
- Taiwan military to double recruitment of 'weekend warriors' next year CNA 29 May 2022 -- Taiwan's military said recently that it will start recruiting twice the annual number of special reservists next year, as part of a reform project to create a more reliable backup force for the country's regular troops, amid China's growing military threats.
- Iran Flaunts Large Drone Base Hidden in Mountains Sputnik 29 May 2022 -- Military drone production is one of the areas in which the Iranian defence industry has achieved high proficiency amid the country's attempts to replace foreign suppliers restricted by international sanctions.
- Defying US, Turkey says doesn't need 'permission' to launch new offensive in Syria Press TV 29 May 2022 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has defied a warning from the United States about launching a new offensive into northern Syria.
- Erdogan Says Turkey Plans New Syrian Offensive, Won't Seek U.S. Permission RFE/RL 29 May 2022 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said his country is still committed to driving Syrian Kurdish militias out of northern Syria and that Ankara will not wait for permission from the United States before launching any new offensive.
- Hamas test fires missiles ahead of Israel flag march IRNA 29 May 2022 -- Palestinian Resistance Movement Hamas reportedly test-launched missiles on the eve of Israel's flag march planned for Sunday.
- Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's interview with French TV channel TF1, Moscow, May 29, 2022 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 29 May 2022
- Phone conversation with Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic President of Russia 29 May 2022 -- President Vladimir Putin spoke over the phone with Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic
- Vucic Says Serbia Secures Gas Deal With Russia Following Phone Talks With Putin RFE/RL 29 May 2022 -- Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic says his country has reached an "extremely favorable" deal with Russia for supplies of natural gas following a telephone conversation with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
- EU Fails To Reach Accord On Russian Oil Embargo As Summit Nears RFE/RL 29 May 2022 -- European Union negotiators failed to reach a deal on an embargo of Russian oil but will continue attempts to reach an accord before the beginning of an EU summit starting on May 30, an EU official said.
- Russian Patriarch Kirill Says He Understands Ukrainian Branch's Decision To Break RFE/RL 29 May 2022 -- Russian Patriarch Kirill has said he understands a decision by the Russian Orthodox Church's branch in Ukraine to cut ties amid Moscow's invasion of its eastern neighbor.
- US has serious misconceptions in its views on world, China and China-US ties: Wang Yi on Blinken's 'China policy' speech Global Times 29 May 2022 -- In response to US Secretary of State Antony Blinken's speech on US' China policy, which called Beijing the "most serious long-term challenge" to the international order, Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi who is still in a trip to Pacific island countries said Saturday that the US has serious misconceptions in its views about the world, China and China-US relations and stressed that China will never yield to blackmail or coercion.
- Chinese FM visits Fiji; Pacific Island countries 'won't be used by anyone to become frontlines of great power competition' Global Times 29 May 2022 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi continued his significant diplomatic activities among the Pacific Island countries (PICs,) and he arrived in Fiji on Sunday in the latest leg of his tour.
- Xinjiang visit 'unsupervised' and 'open,' UN human rights chief says as she wraps up China trip Global Times 29 May 2022 -- By stressing her trip is not an investigation, UN human rights chief Michelle Bachelet ended her six-day visit in China and its Xinjiang region with a statement on Saturday night and said her mission had wide and open discussions with people from different sectors in the region, including prisoners and former trainees of vocational education and training centers and all these meetings were organized by her delegation.
- UN human rights chief wraps up China visit after wide interactions with all sectors Global Times 29 May 2022 -- UN human rights chief Michelle Bachelet has wrapped up her six-day visit in China, including its Xinjiang region, but her statement that showcased her team's wide interactions with people from different sectors in China and progress in facilitating future exchanges between Beijing and Geneva seemed to have disappointed the US. Meanwhile, anti-China forces attempting to use the visit to nail the allegation of "genocide" on China are now trying to deny Bachelet's visit and attacking China for "manipulating" her trip for propaganda.
- CNOOC delivers China's first LNG-powered intelligent marine patrol ships Global Times 29 May 2022 -- China's first order of liquefied natural gas (LNG)-powered intelligent marine patrol ships were delivered on Saturday in Qidong City, East China's Jiangsu Province, marking that the design and construction capability of the country's green and intelligent offshore vessels has reached an international first-class level.
- Taiwan sees greater global support for WHA inclusion: MOFA CNA 29 May 2022 -- Taiwan received more international support this year for its inclusion in the World Health Assembly (WHA), Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said Sunday, although a proposal by 13 countries to allow Taiwan to join as an observer failed to be put on the WHA's official agenda.
- Politburo Consultative Meeting of WPK Central Committee Held KCNA 29 May 2022 -- The Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) convened a consultative meeting at the office building of the Party Central Committee on Sunday.
- Iran's oil revenues up over 60% y/y in two months to late May: Official Press TV 29 May 2022 -- An Iranian official says the country's oil revenues have increased by more than 60% in the two months to late May compared to the similar period last year.
- Sudanese Sovereign Council Lifts State of Emergency in Country Sputnik 29 May 2022 -- General Abdel Fattah Burhan, the head of Sudan's Sovereign Council, on Sunday lifted the state of emergency in all regions of the country, the council said.
- Two killed as security forces attack Sudanese demonstrators in new anti-coup protest Press TV 29 May 2022 -- Sudanese security forces have killed two demonstrators during fresh massive protests in the impoverished country's capital against last year's military coup.
- Beleaguered Sri Lanka In Talks For More Russian Oil, Coal, Fuel RFE/RL 29 May 2022 -- The politically and financially hobbled South Asian island nation of Sri Lanka has taken delivery of nearly $73 million in Russian oil to help restart Sri Lanka's only oil refinery and is pushing for closer power and energy ties, according to its energy minister.
- Turkey, Israel to Have Talks on Gas Delivery From Eeastern Mediterranean to Europe, Erdogan Says Sputnik 29 May 2022 -- Turkey and Israel will hold negotiations on gas deliveries from the Eastern Mediterranean to Europe through Turkey, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Sunday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|