21 May 2022 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- AFSOC incorporates weapon systems cyber defense in Emerald Warrior 22.1 US Air Force 21 May 2022 -- Air Force Special Operations Command recently incorporated defensive cyberspace operations actions, for the first time, into the overall training objectives during Emerald Warrior 22.1.
- USS Minneapolis-Saint Paul (LCS 21) Commissions US Navy 21 May 2022 -- The U.S. Navy commissioned its newest littoral combat ship USS Minneapolis-Saint Paul (LCS 21) in Duluth, Minnesota, May 21, 2022.
- Turkey Sets Conditions For Backing Swedish, Finnish NATO Membership RFE/RL 21 May 2022 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has set out his conditions for Sweden and Finland to earn his backing for their NATO membership bids, saying they must abandon financial and political support for "terrorist" groups threatening Turkey's national security.
- Ukraine Expects Positive Response From West To Request For More Sophisticated Weapons RFE/RL 21 May 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy says he has "high expectations" for a second round of meetings scheduled for next week of the partner countries supplying weapons to Ukraine.
- Biden signs $40 bn Ukraine aid package, putting COVID funds on backburner Press TV 21 May 2022 -- US President Joe Biden on Saturday signed a bill that provides nearly $40 billion of additional humanitarian and military aid for Ukraine, in a move that prioritizes assistance for Kiev over fight against the coronavirus in the world's worst-hit country.
- UK in talks to arm Moldova 'to NATO standard' to protect it from Russia Press TV 21 May 2022 -- In a move seen as controversial and provocative, Britain's Foreign Secretary Liz Truss says the UK intends to send modern weaponry to Moldova in eastern Europe to protect the country from the threat of a Russian "invasion".
- Britain's Truss Says Moldova Should Be 'Equipped To NATO Standard' RFE/RL 21 May 2022 -- British Foreign Secretary Liz Truss says Moldova should be "equipped to NATO standard" to protect itself against potential Russian aggression.
- Remarks by President Biden and President Yoon Suk Yeol of the Republic of Korea at Official Dinner The White House 21 May 2022
- Background Press Call by a Senior Administration Official Previewing President Biden's Third Day in the Republic of Korea The White House 21 May 2022
- Remarks by President Biden and President Yoon Suk Yeol of the Republic of Korea in Joint Press Conference The White House 21 May 2022
- Remarks by President Biden and President Yoon Suk Yeol of the Republic of Korea During Bilateral Meeting The White House 21 May 2022
- United States-Republic of Korea Leaders' Joint Statement The White House 21 May 2022
- Readout of President Biden's Meeting with Republic of Korea President Yoon Suk Yeol The White House 21 May 2022
- Background Press Call by a Senior Administration Official Previewing President Biden's Second Day in the Republic of Korea The White House 21 May 2022
- Biden, Yoon Signal Stronger Military Posture Against North Korean Threat VOA 21 May 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden and South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol have signaled a stronger military posture amid a series of recent North Korean missile test launches and a potential nuclear test.
- UK Nuclear Submarines to Reportedly Be Fitted With Additional Ballistic Missiles Sputnik 21 May 2022 -- Earlier this month, London's Ministry of Defence awarded contracts to Rolls Royce and BAE Systems to build four Dreadnought-class submarines, designed to replace Britain's current Vanguard vessels armed with Trident nuclear warheads.
- Meeting with Saudi Deputy Minister of Defense Prince Khalid bin Salman Al Saud US Dept. of State 21 May 2022 -- Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken joined Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman's meeting today with His Royal Highness Prince Khalid bin Salman Al Saud, the Deputy Minister of Defense of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, in Washington, D.C.
- U.S. Envoys Press For Freedoms For Women, Girls In Meeting With Afghanistan's Top Diplomat RFE/RL Gandhara 21 May 2022 -- Two U.S. envoys on Afghanistan have pressed for girls' education and more freedoms for Afghan women during a meeting with the Taliban's chief diplomat.
- Rights Groups Decry Taliban Shuttering of Human Rights Commission VOA 21 May 2022 -- The Taliban's decision to dissolve Afghanistan's Independent Human Rights Commission is a major setback for the country, say human rights groups and defenders.
- Dispute Over Indian Mosque Stokes Tensions VOA 21 May 2022 -- A mosque in northern India adjacent to a Hindu temple has become the focal point of a religious dispute after reports that a stone shaft believed to be the symbol of a Hindu god lies on the mosque's premises.
- ARMY CHIEF REVIEWS SECURITY SITUATION IN KASHMIR India PIB 21 May 2022 -- Chief of Army Staff (COAS)General Manoj Pande is on a two-day visit to Kashmir. The COAS is on his maiden visit to Kashmir after taking over as the Chief of the Indian Army. He arrived at Srinagar on 21 May 2022.
- Biden, Blinken, Burns permanently banned entry to Russia Press TV 21 May 2022 -- US President Joe Biden, Secretary of State Antony Blinken, and CIA chief William Burns have been banned from entry to Russia as relations between the two world powers continue a constant downward spiral over the crisis in Ukraine.
- Russia Bans 963 Prominent Americans From Entering Russia RFE/RL 21 May 2022 -- Russia has published a list of 963 government officials and leading Americans who are banned from entering the country in retaliation for similar moves by Washington since the offensive in Ukraine.
- Moscow Bans 963 US Citizens From Entering Russia as Countermeasure Sputnik 21 May 2022 -- Moscow has banned 963 US individuals, including US President Joe Biden, his relatives, and other officials and managers, from entering Russia, the Russian Foreign Ministry said on Saturday.
- Russia Adds Chess Champion Kasparov, Former Tycoon Khodorkovsky To 'Foreign Agents' Registry RFE/RL 21 May 2022 -- The Russian Justice Ministry has added Kremlin critics Garry Kasparov, a former world chess champion, and Mikhail Khodorkovsky, a former oil tycoon, to its registry of "foreign agents."
- Russia to cut gas supplies to Finland starting Saturday People's Daily 21 May 2022 -- Russia's Gazprom Export will suspend gas deliveries to Finland from Saturday, as it had not received the necessary payment in rubles from Finnish state-owned energy firm Gasum.
- China launches three low-orbit communication test satellites People's Daily 21 May 2022 -- China successfully sent three low-orbit communication test satellites into space from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwest China Friday.
- Real estate rejuvenation may lead China's economy back to normalcy Global Times 21 May 2022 -- Burdened by a resurgence of coronavirus in Shanghai, Beijing and a few other large cities, China's economy in April reversed its growth trend and slowed down as stricter pandemic control measures, such as the lockdown in Shanghai, seriously battering economic activities. To upend the downward trend of the economy, the government is taking action.
- China will unswervingly open wider to outside world: Premier Li Global Times 21 May 2022 -- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang on Friday reiterated that China's resolve to open up to the outside world will not change, and that China will continue to build itself into a big market and a hot destination for foreign investment.
- China's State Council appoints John Lee as HKSAR chief executive People's Daily 21 May 2022 -- The State Council, China's cabinet, decided at a meeting Friday to appoint John Lee as the sixth-term chief executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR).
- Liaison office of central gov't congratulates John Lee on HKSAR chief executive appointment People's Daily 21 May 2022 -- The Liaison Office of the Central People's Government in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) on Friday extended congratulations to John Lee on his appointment by the central government as the HKSAR's sixth-term chief executive.
- HK, Macao affairs office of State Council congratulates John Lee's appointment as new HKSAR chief People's Daily 21 May 2022 -- A spokesperson for the Hong Kong and Macao Affairs Office of the State Council on Friday expressed sincere congratulation to John Lee after he was appointed by the central government as the sixth-term chief executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR).
- Biden suggests 'sincere', 'serious' talks with North during visit to South Korea Press TV 21 May 2022 -- US President Joe Biden, who is on a visit to South Korea, has indicated that he would be willing to take part in "sincere" and "serious" denuclearization talks with North Korean Leader Kim Jong-un.
- Officials Visit Bier of Late Hyon Chol Hae KCNA 21 May 2022 -- Officials from Party and power organs, working people's organizations, ministries and national institutions and city- and district-level institutions visited the bier of the late Korean People's Army (KPA) Marshal Hyon Chol Hae, general adviser to the Ministry of National Defence of the DPRK, on Friday to express their condolences over his death.
- Service Personnel Visit Bier of Late Hyon Chol Hae KCNA 21 May 2022 -- Servicepersons from armed forces organs visited the bier of the late Korean People's Army (KPA) Marshal Hyon Chol Hae, general adviser to the Ministry of National Defence of the DPRK, on Friday to express their condolences over his death.
- Respected Comrade Kim Jong Un Visits Bier of Late Hyon Chol Hae KCNA 21 May 2022 -- Kim Jong Un , general secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) and president of the State Affairs of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), visited the bier of Marshal of the Korean People's Army Hyon Chol Hae, general adviser to the DPRK Ministry of National Defence who is winner of Kim Il Sung Order and Kim Jong Il Order, on Friday to express deep condolences over his death.
- Qatari FM: Return of Iran oil helps stabilize market IRNA 21 May 2022 -- Qatar's Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani has said that the return of Iranian oil to world markets will help stabilize oil prices.
- Iran agrees to revive gas pipeline project to Oman IRNA 21 May 2022 -- Iranian Minister of Petroleum Javad Owji, who is on a visit to Oman, has agreed to revive a project for laying a pipeline to pump Iranian gas to Oman.
- Iran, Oman agree to revive gas supply deal: IRNA Press TV 21 May 2022 -- Iran and Oman have agreed to revive a gas supply deal that dates back to two decades ago, according to a report by Iran's official news agency IRNA.
- Iran to pursue water dispute with Afghanistan through legal channels, says FM spox Press TV 21 May 2022 -- Iran's foreign ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh says the country will pursue its rights to water supply from the Hirmand River through legal channels amid a longstanding water dispute with neighboring Afghanistan.
- FM: Iran has good will, determination to reach agreement IRNA 21 May 2022 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian stressed Tehran's good will and strong determination for achieving a strong and sustainable nuclear agreement,
- Montenegro's $1 Billion Highway Faces Uncertain Future After Years Of Delays RFE/RL 21 May 2022 -- Eight years after the contract was first signed, the initial section of a controversial highway project in Montenegro paid for by a massive $1 billion Chinese loan is nearing completion -- but it still faces lingering questions about its future.
- Former Pakistani Government's Human Rights Minister Arrested RFE/RL Gandhara 21 May 2022 -- Pakistan's former human rights minister has been arrested by anti-corruption police, authorities in Islamabad confirmed on May 21, after her daughter and another former minister said she had been mistreated during the arrest.
- Pakistan Briefly Arrests Opposition Leader Critical of Military VOA 21 May 2022 -- Anti-corruption authorities in Pakistan briefly arrested a female opposition leader Saturday on land-grabbing allegations dating back five decades, a move that critics swiftly condemned as politically motivated.
- Morrison concedes defeat in Australia election, ending 9 years of conservative rule Press TV 21 May 2022 -- Australia's prime minister Scott Morrison conceded defeat in the country's general election on Saturday, ending almost a decade of conservative rule.
- Australian PM Scott Morrison Concedes His Government's Election Defeat Sputnik 21 May 2022 -- Now that the Labor party has won the federal election, its leader Anthony Albanese is poised to become Australia's next prime minister.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|