11 March 2022 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Senior Defense Official Holds a Background Briefing, March 11, 2022 DoD 11 Mar 2022
- Pentagon Press Secretary John F. Kirby Holds a Press Briefing, March 11, 2022 DoD 11 Mar 2022
- Readout of Deputy Secretary of Defense Dr. Kathleen H. Hicks' Visit to Strategic Capabilities Office DoD 11 Mar 2022
- Fusion of information dishes up threat intelligence CENTCOM 11 Mar 2022 -- Anybody who has remodeled their kitchen knows about the "golden triangle" or "kitchen triangle". It's the triangle that the main work areas form to provide the most efficient work zone possible. In a relatively seamless culinary dance, the sink, refrigerator and stove are at each point of the geometric shape that will make that dinner for friends and family an efficient cooking experience.
- MDX-ARDB: Stronger Together USMC News 11 Mar 2022 -- U.S. Marines from the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit and members of the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force's Amphibious Rapid Deployment Brigade began their first dedicated bilateral training exercise together, taking place at Numazu Beach, Japan, and Combined Arms Training Center Fuji, Japan.
- U.S. Forces Prepare to Join Norway's Biennial Exercise Cold Response 22 US Navy 11 Mar 2022 -- Thousands of U.S. Marines and Sailors are scheduled to participate in Norway's Exercise Cold Response 22, the ninth iteration of this exercise, occurring from March 14 - April 1, 2022.
- Two U.S. Navy Destroyers Conduct Maritime Interoperability Exercise with German Frigate in the Baltic Sea US Navy 11 Mar 2022 -- Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyers USS Forrest Sherman (DDG 98) and USS Donald Cook (DDG 75) conducted seamanship and navigation drills with the German Navy in the Baltic Sea, March 9.
- Secretary of the Navy Visits USS Gerald R. Ford to Celebrate "100 Years of Carrier Aviation" US Navy 11 Mar 2022 -- Throughout the 2022 calendar year, the U.S. Navy is commemorating 100 years of aircraft carriers, celebrating the strategic importance of aircraft carriers and the future of naval aviation while honoring their history.
- U.S., JMSDF Conduct First Training Torpedo Exercise in Japanese Waters US Navy 11 Mar 2022 -- Aircrews from the "Saberhawks" of Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) 77, the "Warlords" of HSM 51, and the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) "Mighty 59" of Air Development Squadron (VX) 51 conducted anti-submarine warfare (ASW) torpedo training in Tokyo Bay, March 8-10.
- New Application Helps DLA Track COVID-19 Test Kits for White House DoD News 11 Mar 2022 -- The Defense Logistics Agency developed a new dashboard application that provides real-time metrics as it packs and distributes millions of free, at-home COVID-19 tests to American households as part of the White House test kit mission.
- Department of the Army announces updated COVID-19 vaccination statistics US Army 11 Mar 2022 -- The U.S. Army announced updated COVID-19 vaccination statistics and exemption requests as of Mar. 10, 2022.
- Convening Authority Takes Action on Sentence in U.S. v. Majid Khan DoD 11 Mar 2022 -- Today, in accordance with his authority under 10 U.S.C. § 950b, the Convening Authority for military commissions, Mr. Jeffrey D. Wood, took action in the case of United States v. Majid Khan.
- In Forests Along Polish Border, US Troops Edge Closer to Ukraine Conflict VOA 11 Mar 2022 -- Hundreds of troops from the U.S. 82nd Airborne Division have deployed in the forested mountains of eastern Poland, just a few kilometers from the Ukrainian border. That puts them in close proximity to recent Russian airstrikes on targets in western Ukraine.
- Biden: US Moved Over 12,000 Troops to Borders With Russia to Defend NATO Sputnik 11 Mar 2022 -- The US president has repeatedly rejected the idea of American or NATO troops engaging in the fighting in Ukraine, stressing that it would prompt a third world war.
- Video message by NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg to the Polish National Assembly on the occasion of the 23rd anniversary of NATO membership NATO 11 Mar 2022
- U.S. Vice President Harris Slams Putin, Praises Romania's Response To Refugee Crisis RFE/RL 11 Mar 2022 -- U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris said on March 11 that Russian President Vladimir Putin shows no sign of being willing to engage in diplomacy, during a visit to Romania where she praised the country for taking in thousands of people fleeing the fighting in neighboring Ukraine.
- In Romania, US Vice President Re-Commits to NATO Partners VOA 11 Mar 2022 -- U.S Vice President Kamala Harris Friday reaffirmed the U.S. commitment to its eastern European NATO allies in the face of the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
- Remarks by Vice President Harris to U.S. and Polish Troops The White House 11 Mar 2022
- Remarks by Vice President Harris and President Iohannis of Romania in Joint Press Conference The White House 11 Mar 2022
- The Secretary General underlines the importance of Turkey's contributions to NATO NATO 11 Mar 2022 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg met with President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan at the Antalya Diplomacy Forum in Turkey on Friday (11 March 2022), commending him for Turkey's contributions to NATO's collective deterrence and defence. He also welcomed Turkey's efforts to mediate between Moscow and Kyiv, and its deliveries of assistance to Ukraine as it resists the Russian invasion.
- Remarks by NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg in the panel: ''Price of peace or cost of war'' organised by the Antalya Diplomacy Forum NATO 11 Mar 2022
- FACT SHEET: The Department of Defense's Cooperative Threat Reduction Program - Biological Threat Reduction Program Activities in Ukraine - As of Mar. 11, 2022 DoD 11 Mar 2022
- Reasonable, moderate growth of China's defense spending supports world peace PLA Daily 11 Mar 2022 -- China has allocated a defense budget of 1.45 trillion yuan for 2022, up by 7.1% compared to the budget implementation in 2021, said Chinese Defense Spokesperson Senior Colonel Wu Qian, also spokesperson for the delegation of the People's Liberation Army (PLA) and People's Armed Police (PAP) Force at the fifth session of the 13th National People's Congress (NPC), in an interview on March 9.
- Key takeaways from China's crucial political gathering People's Daily 11 Mar 2022 -- A crucial political event gathering Chinese national lawmakers and political advisors has showcased the country's "genuine and effective" democratic model, and stressed a slew of policy priorities including ethnic unity, food security and economic stability.
- Taiwan, U.S. finalize deal to update military communication system CNA 11 Mar 2022 -- Taiwan has signed an agreement with the United States to finalize the purchase of a NT$6.99 billion (US$246.39 million) military communication system that will update a system in use in Taiwan for nearly two decades.
- Cost-effective, guided missiles 'key to asymmetric warfare in Taiwan' CNA 11 Mar 2022 -- Taiwan should leverage cost-effective precision-guided munitions to bolster its counter-invasion asymmetric warfare capabilities, a researcher from the Institute for National Defense and Security Research said Friday.
- Taiwan needs to boost asymmetric capabilities: U.S. defense official CNA 11 Mar 2022 -- A top defense official in the United States said Thursday that Taiwan should strengthen its asymmetric capabilities, as a preparatory measure, in the event of an attack by China.
- Pentagon Claims North Korea Tested Elements of Its New ICBM Sputnik 11 Mar 2022 -- Last Saturday, North Korea launched a short-range missile from the Sunan area near the capital Pyongyang, in what was the DPRK's ninth missile test since the beginning of this year.
- Respected Comrade Kim Jong Un Inspects Sohae Satellite Launching Ground KCNA 11 Mar 2022 -- Kim Jong Un , general secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea and president of the State Affairs of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, inspected the Sohae Satellite Launching Ground.
- North Korea tested ICBM in February, March: US official Press TV 11 Mar 2022 -- North Korea tested a "relatively new" intercontinental ballistic missile system in Feb. 26 and March 4 test-firings, according to a senior Biden administration official.
- Statement on accidental firing of missile India PIB 11 Mar 2022 -- On 9 March 2022, in the course of a routine maintenance, a technical malfunction led to the accidental firing of a missile
- India Has Accidentally Fired Missile Into Pakistan, Incident to Be Investigated - MoD Sputnik 11 Mar 2022 -- On Thursday, Pakistan announced that it downed an Indian supersonic surface-to-surface missile which fell inside Pakistani territory near Mian Channu and damaged some civilian property.
- India Confirms It Accidentally Fired Missile into Pakistan VOA 11 Mar 2022 -- India on Friday confirmed an "accidental firing of a missile" into rival Pakistan, calling it "deeply regrettable."
- Ministry of Defence identifies 18 major platforms for industry led Design and Development India PIB 11 Mar 2022 -- In a significant boost to Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi's vision on 'Aatmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan', and in sync with the announcement in the Union Budget 2022-23 that allocated 25% of Defence R & D Budget for industry led R & D, 18 major platforms have been identified by the Ministry of Defence for industry led Design & Development under various routes
- Sir Lanka - India Exercise, SLINEX Concluded India PIB 11 Mar 2022 -- The ninth edition of the bi-lateral Naval exercise between India and Sri Lanka, SLINEX (Sri Lanka-India Exercise) concluded on 10 Mar 22
- Israel thanks US after House approves $1bn Iron Dome funding Press TV 11 Mar 2022 -- Israel has thanked the United States after the US House of Representatives approved an additional $1 billion in funding for Israel's Iron Dome system, ahead of the first anniversary of the regime's brutal war against Gaza that killed 66 children.
- China delivers first J-10CE fighter jets to Pakistan in a milestone move Global Times 11 Mar 2022 -- The Pakistan Air Force on Friday held an induction ceremony for the first batch of six J-10CE fighter jets in Kamra, with Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan attending the event.
- China-Built Fighter Jet Takes Its Place in Pakistan Air Force VOA 11 Mar 2022 -- Pakistan has formally commissioned a first batch of six Chinese J-10C fighter aircraft into its air force at a special ceremony, with Prime Minister Imran Khan and heads of the country's armed forces in attendance.
- Secretary Blinken's Meeting with African Union Commission Chairperson Faki US Dept. of State 11 Mar 2022
- The United States and the African Union Commission Sign Memorandum of Cooperation US Dept. of State 11 Mar 2022 -- U.S. Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken and African Union Commission (AUC) Chairperson Moussa Faki Mahamat signaled a shared commitment to elevate and expand a public health partnership by signing today a Memorandum of Cooperation at the U.S. - AUC High Level Dialogue in Washington.
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken with AU Commission Chairperson Moussa Faki Mahamat at the Signing of a Memorandum of Cooperation Between the United States and the African Union US Dept. of State 11 Mar 2022
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Malaysian Foreign Minister Abdullah US Dept. of State 11 Mar 2022
- Department Press Briefing – March 11, 2022 US Dept. of State 11 Mar 2022
- Press Gaggle by Deputy Press Secretary Andrew Bates En Route Philadelphia, PA The White House 11 Mar 2022
- 11 March 2022 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 11 Mar 2022
- Yemen hits targets deep inside Saudi Arabia in retaliatory drone attacks Press TV 11 Mar 2022 -- The Yemeni army and allied fighters from popular committees have conducted drone attacks on several targets deep inside Saudi Arabia in retaliation for the ongoing siege imposed on Yemen by a Saudi-led military coalition.
- Fire breaks out at Saudi oil facility after drone attack on Riyadh Press TV 11 Mar 2022 -- Saudi Arabia's Energy Ministry says an unmanned aerial aircraft has struck and subsequently ignited a fire at an oil facility in the capital of Riyadh, while claiming that the supply of petroleum and its derivatives have not been affected.
- Saudi Arabia's Riyadh Refinery Attacked by Drone, State Media Reports Sputnik 11 Mar 2022 -- Saudi Arabia's Riyadh refinery was attacked by a drone, state media reported on Friday, adding that no one was injured and oil supply components were not affected.
- 'We cannot fail the Syrian people' Guterres declares, marking 11 years of brutal war UN News 11 Mar 2022 -- Syria's 11 years of brutal fighting has come at an "unconscionable human cost", subjecting millions there to human rights violations on a "massive and systematic scale", said the UN chief on Friday, marking yet another tragic anniversary
- UN Chief Appeals for Courage to End Syrian War VOA 11 Mar 2022 -- As the Syrian civil war passes the 11-year mark, the U.N. secretary-general said Friday that courage must be shown to reach a political settlement.
- Islamic State Fighters in Iraq, Africa Line Up Behind New Leader VOA 11 Mar 2022 -- The Islamic State group is moving to solidify support for its new leader, sharing photos on social media showing fighters uniting behind his rule.
- UN voices concern over military mobilization in Libya's Tripoli People's Daily 11 Mar 2022 -- The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) on Thursday expressed concern over the mobilization of armed groups that led to rising tensions in the capital Tripoli.
- Reported armed convoys in Tripoli increase concern: UN People's Daily 11 Mar 2022 -- Large convoys of armed groups reported in Libya's capital are increasing tensions, a UN spokesman said on Thursday.
- Pakistan Confronts Growing Threat From Islamic State-Khorasan RFE/RL Gandhara 11 Mar 2022 -- Since it first emerged in 2015, Islamic State's local affiliate in Afghanistan has focused its violent campaign within that country, fighting against Afghan and foreign forces as well as the Taliban, a rival militant group.
- Malian Army Accused of Killing Mauritanian Citizens VOA 11 Mar 2022 -- A Malian delegation is expected in Mauritania's capital Friday to discuss the alleged disappearance of several Mauritanians on Malian territory.
- Families pushed to the limit as South Sudan braces for its worst hunger crisis ever WFP 11 Mar 2022 -- More than seventy percent of the South Sudanese population will struggle to survive the peak of the lean season this year as the country grapples with unprecedented levels of food insecurity caused by conflict, climate shocks, covid, and rising costs, warned the United Nations World Food Programme today.
- DHS Releases Report on Internal Review of Domestic Violent Extremism DHS 11 Mar 2022 -- Today, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) released a report on how it can best prevent, detect, and respond to potential threats related to domestic violent extremism within the Department.
- Statement from CISA Director Easterly on the Passage of Cyber Incident Reporting Legislation CISA 11 Mar 2022
- IARPA Launches New Biometric Technology Research Program Director of National Intelligence 11 Mar 2022 -- The Intelligence Advanced Research Projects Activity (IARPA), the research and development arm of the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, announced today the Biometric Recognition & Identification at Altitude and Range (BRIAR) program — a multi-year research effort to develop new software systems capable of performing whole-body biometric identification from great heights and long ranges.
- Meeting with permanent members of Security Council President of Russia 11 Mar 2022 -- Vladimir Putin held a meeting, via videoconference, with permanent members of the Security Council.
- Telephone conversation with President of Finland Sauli Niinisto President of Russia 11 Mar 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with President of the Republic of Finland Sauli Niinisto.
- Press release on Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's meeting with Armenian Foreign Minister Ararat Mirzoyan Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 11 Mar 2022
- Comment by Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Maria Zakharova on the situation around the Northern Dimension and the Barents Euro-Arctic Council (BEAC) Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 11 Mar 2022
- Remarks by President Biden Announcing Actions to Continue to Hold Russia Accountable The White House 11 Mar 2022
- Biden Calls to End Normal Trade Relations With Russia VOA 11 Mar 2022 -- President Joe Biden on Friday announced that the U.S. will seek to revoke "most favored nation" (MFN) status for Russia. If approved by Congress, the move effectively ends normal trade relations between the two countries and allows the administration to impose new tariffs and sanctions in response to the Kremlin's invasion of Ukraine.
- Targeting Elites of the Russian Federation US Dept. of State 11 Mar 2022 -- The Department of State, the Department of the Treasury, and the Department of Commerce have taken additional sweeping actions as part of our response, together with our allies and partners, to the Russian Federation's premeditated, unprovoked, and unjustified war against Ukraine. We are committed to ensuring the Government of Russia pays a severe economic and diplomatic price for its further invasion of Ukraine.
- Continuing to Hold the Kremlin to Account US Dept. of State 11 Mar 2022 -- "With our allies and partners, the United States is committed to ensuring the Government of the Russian Federation pays a severe economic and diplomatic price for its invasion of Ukraine. We have continued to do so today with additional actions, which President Biden announced."
- Treasury Sanctions Kremlin Elites, Leaders, Oligarchs, and Family for Enabling Putin's War Against Ukraine US Treasury 11 Mar 2022 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) issued a new round of sanctions targeting Russian and Kremlin elites, oligarchs, and Russia's political and national security leaders who have supported Russian President Vladimir Putin's brutal and illegal invasion of Ukraine.
- Commerce Restricts the Export of Luxury Goods to Russia and Belarus and to Russian and Belarusian Oligarchs and Malign Actors in Latest Response to Aggression Against Ukraine US Dept. of Commerce 11 Mar 2022 -- Today, the U.S. Commerce Department's Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) imposed restrictions on the export, reexport, and transfer (in country) of luxury goods to all end users in the Russian Federation (Russia) and Belarus and to certain Russian and Belarusian oligarchs and malign actors located worldwide. This action is in response to Russia's brutal, continuing invasion of Ukraine (as substantially enabled by Belarus) in flagrant violation of international law.
- 'Global Economic Pariah': U.S. Revokes Russia's Favored Trade Status, To Deny Borrowing Rights At IMF RFE/RL 11 Mar 2022 -- The White House says it is imposing "new economic actions" against Russia to hold the Kremlin accountable for Moscow's continued unprovoked assault on Ukraine and further isolate Russia from the global financial system.
- Joint Statement by the G7 Announcing Further Economic Costs on Russia The White House 11 Mar 2022
- Executive Order on Prohibiting Certain Imports, Exports, and New Investment with Respect to Continued Russian Federation Aggression The White House 11 Mar 2022
- Letter to the Speaker of the House of Representatives and President of the Senate on Prohibiting Certain Imports, Exports, and New Investment with Respect to Continued Russian Federation Aggression The White House 11 Mar 2022
- FACT SHEET: United States, European Union, and G7 to Announce Further Economic Costs on Russia The White House 11 Mar 2022
- EU Threatens Russia With New Sanctions, Aims to Bolster Energy, Defense Independence VOA 11 Mar 2022 -- The European Union has warned it could slap massive new sanctions against Russia, but it also rejected fast-tracking Ukraine's EU membership. At a summit outside Paris, the group also focused on beefing up the EU's military, energy and food security in response to the Ukraine conflict.
- Foreign Secretary sanctions 386 Russian lawmakers who supported Putin's invasion of Ukraine UK FCDO 11 Mar 2022 -- Foreign Secretary Liz Truss has sanctioned 386 members of the Duma for their support for the Ukrainian breakaway regions of Luhansk and Donetsk.
- Canada Bans Russian Oil Imports, Sanctions Russia's Defence Ministry Sputnik 11 Mar 2022 -- Earlier on Friday, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced that Ottawa is slapping restrictions on five Russians and 32 Russian military organisations.
- The Week In Russia: Unprovoked War And 'Unspeakable Suffering' RFE/RL 11 Mar 2022 -- Civilian casualties mounted and outrage spread as Moscow's unprovoked war on Ukraine entered its third week with no clear end in sight. Russia's isolation deepened, with Western businesses from McDonald's to IKEA shutting up shop and the Kremlin turning the clock back toward Soviet times.
- UN rights experts raise alarm over Russia's 'choking' media clampdown at home UN News 11 Mar 2022 -- The recent adoption by Russia of a punitive "fake war news" law is an alarming move by the Government to gag and blindfold an entire population, independent UN human rights experts said on Friday.
- Russia Restricts Instagram, Opens Case Against Meta For Reported Hate-Speech Changes RFE/RL 11 Mar 2022 -- Russia is opening a criminal case against Meta Platforms, the owner of Facebook and Instagram, and moved to label it an "extremist organization" over reported changes in its rules that allow some users to call for violence against Russia's army and its leadership in the context of the war in Ukraine.
- Navalny Calls For More Protests Against Ukraine War Launched By 'Mad Maniac Putin' RFE/RL 11 Mar 2022 -- Jailed Russian opposition politician Aleksei Navalny has called for protests this weekend against Moscow's unprovoked invasion of Ukraine to combat the "propaganda" machine created by President Vladimir Putin.
- Russian Officials Predicted A Quick Triumph In Ukraine. Did Bad Intelligence Skew Kremlin Decision-Making? RFE/RL 11 Mar 2022 -- The day after Russia launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine, a Russian lawmaker who also happens to be the grandson of one of the most famous diplomats of the 20th century gave a speech in parliament.
- Meeting with President of Belarus Alexander Lukashenko President of Russia 11 Mar 2022 -- Vladimir Putin met with President of the Republic of Belarus Alexander Lukashenko at the Kremlin.
- China spreads disinformation on Ukraine 'labs' amid rising COVID-19 wave at home Radio Free Asia 11 Mar 2022 -- The ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) has been amplifying Russian government propaganda claiming that the U.S. is financing biological weapons labs in Ukraine, as the two countries embark on a "no limits" alliance that appears to include a global disinformation war.
- Interview: 'China may have thought this would be a quick-fix war, a surgical strike.' Radio Free Asia 11 Mar 2022 -- Chinese Communist Party (CCP) leader Xi Jinping has referred to Russian president Vladimir Putin as his best friend. But Russia's invasion of Ukraine has cast doubts on whether Beijing is a more opportunistic partner wrong-footed by the global backlash against Putin, or a long-term cast-iron ally of the Kremlin. The bilateral relationship is complicated by the fact that China imports a good deal of grain from both Russia and Ukraine, and is facing a poor harvest of its own this year due to heavy rains.
- Chinese State Censors at Work to Control Messaging on War VOA 11 Mar 2022 -- Beijing is controlling messaging on the war in Ukraine, analysts and observers say, as social media companies and traditional Chinese state media outlets have been suppressing voices critical of Russia's invasion.
- China detects overseas cyberattacks PLA Daily 11 Mar 2022 -- China has detected continuous cyberattacks targeting its internet since late February, the country's cybersecurity watchdog said Friday.
- European Union Says China Fabricated Top Official's Quote VOA 11 Mar 2022 -- Western analysts were surprised this week when the European Union's foreign policy chief was quoted by China as having described that country as "a peace-loving superpower." Officials in Brussels insist that he never said it.
- China's top legislature approves way to choose HK NPC deputies Global Times 11 Mar 2022 -- Chinese lawmakers on Friday passed a method for Hong Kong to elect deputies to the 14th National People's Congress (NPC) at the closing meeting of the fifth session of the 13th NPC, which stressed that national legislators elected from the special administrative region must be firm patriots and those who have been convicted for harming national security be disqualified.
- Chinese defense spokesperson: Australia has no business interfering Taiwan question PLA Daily 11 Mar 2022 -- Senior Colonel Tan Kefei, spokesperson for the Chinese Ministry of National Defense (MND) slammed Australian Defense Ministry's negative remarks over China on Thursday when answering reporter's questions.
- China's BeiDou enters new phase of stable services, rapid development PLA Daily 11 Mar 2022 -- China's BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS) has entered a new phase of sustained stable services and rapid development, according to the China Satellite Navigation Office on Friday.
- China to carry out phase-4 lunar exploration missions before 2030 People's Daily 11 Mar 2022 -- Building on the glorious aerospace achievements made in the recent years, China still has a number of big moves to make in space in the coming years.
- China will ramp up pressure on Taiwan through hybrid threats: NSB CNA 11 Mar 2022 -- China intends to take advantage of the war between Russia and Ukraine to increase its pressure on Taiwan through hybrid threats, the National Security Bureau (NSB) warned Thursday.
- Biden signs bill that includes ban on maps depicting Taiwan as part of China CNA 11 Mar 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden on Friday signed into law a sweeping US$1.5 trillion spending bill, which includes a ban on the use of any maps that "inaccurately" depict Taiwan as part of China, by the U.S. State Department and its foreign operations.
- Pentagon Official Calls Ukraine 'Case Study' for Taiwan, Says Should be 'As Prickly as Possible' Sputnik 11 Mar 2022 -- According to a November 2021 count by Sputnik, in the four years Donald Trump was a US president, from 2017 to 2021, Washington sold Taipei some $18.3 billion in weapons, ranging from torpedoes and cruise missiles to advanced F-16V "Viper" fighter jets.
- DPRK leader orders modernization of main space launch base People's Daily 11 Mar 2022 -- Kim Jong Un, top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), has ordered the expansion and modernization of the Sohae Satellite Launching Ground, the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) reported Friday.
- North Korean state media reports South Korean election results Radio Free Asia 11 Mar 2022 -- North Korean state media on Friday reported the results of this week's presidential election in South Korea, surprising citizens not used to hearing political news from the South so soon after the new leader was chosen, the residents told RFA.
- Sanctioning Network Supporting the Democratic People's Republic of Korea's (DPRK) Weapons Program US Dept. of State 11 Mar 2022 -- The United States is sanctioning two Russian individuals and three entities in response to the DPRK's ongoing development of its weapons of mass destruction (WMD) and ballistic missile programs in violation of multiple United Nations Security Council resolutions.
- Treasury Targets Russian Individuals and Entities Supporting DPRK Weapons of Mass Destruction and Ballistic Missile Programs US Treasury 11 Mar 2022 -- The U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) today sanctioned two individuals and three entities for supporting the DPRK's ongoing development of its weapons of mass destruction (WMD) and ballistic missile programs in violation of multiple United Nations Security Council resolutions (UNSCRs).
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Call with Japanese Vice Foreign Minister Mori and Republic of Korea First Vice Foreign Minister Choi US Dept. of State 11 Mar 2022
- EU's Borrell Says Iran Nuclear Talks Need Pause, Although Final Text Is Ready RFE/RL 11 Mar 2022 -- The European Union's foreign policy chief says the final text of an agreement to revive a landmark nuclear accord between Iran and world powers is "essentially ready and on the table," but a pause is needed in the talks due to "external factors."
- Spox: Pause in Vienna Talks a momentum for resolving remaining issues IRNA 11 Mar 2022 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh said on Friday that "pause in Vienna Talks could be a momentum for resolving any remaining issue and a final return".
- EU coordinator, Iran negotiator hold talks in Vienna IRNA 11 Mar 2022 -- European Union's coordinator in the nuclear talks Enrique Mora and Iran's top nuclear negotiator Ali Bagheri Kani have met in Vienna, Austria.
- US keeps proffering excessive demands in Vienna talks IRNA 11 Mar 2022 -- The United States, which is still dragging its feet to take political decisions on lifting anti-Iran sanctions and reviving the 2015 nuclear deal, resorts to media hype with the aim of putting forward non-nuclear demands irrelevant to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) in the Vienna talks.
- Iran, P4+1 announce pause in Vienna talks on JCPOA revival Press TV 11 Mar 2022 -- Iran and the P4+1 group of countries have announced a pause in the Vienna talks on a possible revival of the 2015 Iran deal, with Tehran saying that all relevant parties will concentrate on a "successful conclusion" of the diplomatic process.
- Cotton Campaign Ends Boycott Of Uzbek Cotton, Citing Progress On Labor Issues RFE/RL 11 Mar 2022 -- Global human rights coalition the Cotton Campaign says it has ended its campaign to boycott Uzbek cotton and textiles, citing progress in eliminating forced labor during crop harvesting last year.
- South Sudan bracing for 'worst hunger crisis ever' UN News 11 Mar 2022 -- More than 70 percent of South Sudan's population will struggle to survive the peak of the annual 'lean season' this year, as the country grapples with unprecedented levels of food insecurity caused by conflict, climate shocks, COVID-19, and rising costs, the UN's World Food Programme (WFP) warned on Friday.
- Somalia Drought Sparks Humanitarian, Displacement Crisis VOA 11 Mar 2022 -- The U.N. refugee agency said Friday that drought in Somalia was causing a humanitarian and displacement crisis, with thousands of people fleeing their parched lands in search of fertile territory and humanitarian assistance to help them survive.
- Chinese Imports Edging Out Kenya's Local Products VOA 11 Mar 2022 -- Kenyan artisans say they are losing the market for their products to Chinese imports. According to the crafts persons, the high quality and lower prices of Chinese-made goods put them at a disadvantage.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|