25 February 2022 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby Holds an On-Camera Press Briefing DoD 25 Feb 2022
- Senior Defense Official Holds an Off-Camera Press Briefing DoD 25 Feb 2022
- With Activation of NATO Response Force, U.S. Military Ready to Provide Forces DoD News 25 Feb 2022 -- In response to the Russian invasion of Ukraine, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg today announced activation of the alliance's defense plans, which means also that it can deploy the NATO Defense Force. The U.S. Defense Department now stands ready to provide capabilities to help fill that defense force, if asked to do so, said Pentagon Press Secretary John F. Kirby.
- NATO Agrees To Partial Deployment Of Response Force To Eastern Member Countries RFE/RL 25 Feb 2022 -- NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg says the alliance will deploy parts of its combat-ready response force to reassure Eastern member countries after Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
- Biden Orders Deployment of More US Forces to Augment Capabilities in Europe, Support NATO Sputnik 25 Feb 2022 -- President Joe Biden said on Friday he directed the deployment of additional US forces to augment capabilities in Europe in support of NATO.
- US deploys F-35 fighter jets to Eastern Europe Press TV 25 Feb 2022 -- A contingent of American F-35 fighter jets has arrived in Eastern Europe following Russia's military operation in Ukraine, amid escalating tensions between Washington and Moscow over the Ukraine conflict.
- FACT SHEET: Posture Updates in Support of Allies in Europe - As of 25 February, 2022 DOD 25 Feb 2022
- ASC unit executes successful download of APS Afloat in Indo-Pacific Army News 25 Feb 2022 -- Army Field Support Battalion-Charleston successfully executed the download of the Army Preposition Stock 3, APS-3, vessel for the first time in the Indo-Pacific Theater. APS-3, also known as APS Afloat, enables rapid power projection, enhances logistical support globally and sustains Soldiers as resources are shifted throughout the operational theater.
- NAVSUP Fleet Logistics Center Bahrain Supports International Maritime Exercise 2022 CENTCOM 25 Feb 2022 -- Naval Supply Systems Command (NAVSUP) Fleet Logistics Center (FLC) Bahrain, and its detachments in Oman and United Arab Emirates (UAE), provided contracting and logistics support to U.S., allied and partner maritime forces during U.S. Naval Forces Central Command's (USNAVCENT) International Maritime Exercise 2022 (IMX22) from January 31 - February 17.
- DoD Seeking Information for Public-Private Microelectronic Commons DoD 25 Feb 2022 -- The Department of Defense issued a federal register notice requesting information from academia, startups, small businesses, government labs, and domestic semiconductor manufacturers in pursuit of a public-private partnership that will create regional hubs of microelectronics innovation.
- Defense Department Engineers Drive Mission Success DoD News 25 Feb 2022 -- The Defense Department is likely the largest employer of engineers in the United States, and the department will need even more to continue to protect the nation, said Barbara McQuiston, who now performs the duties of the deputy undersecretary of defense for research and engineering.
- U.S. Marines activate the future 3rd Marine Littoral Regiment Communications Company USMC News 25 Feb 2022 -- The Marine Corps activated its first regiment-level Communications Company at a ceremony here, Feb. 24, 2022. The Communications Company will be a subordinate element of the future 3rd Marine Littoral Regiment, which will administratively activate in a ceremony on March 3.
- U.S. returns part of land of military bases to S. Korea People's Daily 25 Feb 2022 -- The United States on Friday approved returning to South Korea part of the land of its military bases in and around the capital Seoul, according to the South Korean foreign ministry.
- US Forces participate in Indian Navy-led Exercise Milan for first time US Navy 25 Feb 2022 -- U.S Navy Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Fitzgerald (DDG 62) and a P-8A Poseidon maritime patrol and reconnaissance aircraft (MPRA), from Patrol Squadron (VP) 47, joined with ships, aircraft and personnel from India and numerous other navies to begin Exercise Milan 2022, in the Bay of Bengal, Feb. 25.
- U.S. Naval Forces Africa (NAVAF) and Royal Moroccan Navy Conduct Staff Talks in Morocco US Navy 25 Feb 2022 -- Leadership from U.S. Naval Forces Europe-Africa/Sixth Fleet (NAVEUR-NAVAF-SIXTHFLT) and the Royal Moroccan Navy participated in staff talks to discuss future maritime interoperability and strengthening the bilateral relationship in Casablanca, Morocco, Feb. 21, 2022.
- SECNAV Names Future Replenishment Oiler Ship Thurgood Marshall and Sponsors for USS Doris Miller US Navy Press Release 25 Feb 2022 -- During Black History Month Secretary of the Navy Carlos Del Toro announced on February 25, the sponsors for the USS Doris Miller and that a future John Lewis-class replenishment oiler (TAO) ship will be named USNS Thurgood Marshall to honor the former Supreme Court Justice and civil rights activist.
- 12th China-EU defense and security policy dialogue held via video link PLA Daily 25 Feb 2022 -- The 12th China-EU dialogue on defense and security policy was held via video link on February 25.
- Chinese Navy completes delivering disaster relief supplies to Tonga PLA Daily 25 Feb 2022 -- Amphibious dock landing ship Wuzhishan and comprehensive supply ship Chaganhu attached to the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy departed from the port of Nuku'alofa on the morning of February 23, 2022, after delivering disaster relief supplies to Tonga. Tongan government officials, staff of the Chinese Embassy in Tonga and overseas Chinese representatives came to the pier to see off the ships.
- Statement from the leaders of the Joint Expeditionary Force (JEF) Gov.UK 25 Feb 2022 -- A joint statement from the leaders of the nations involved in the Joint Expeditionary Force (JEF).
- JAPANESE GROUND SELF DEFENCE FORCES CONTINGENT ARRIVES IN INDIA FOR JOINT EXERCISE "EX DHARMA GUARDIAN-2022" India PIB 25 Feb 2022 -- A joint military exercise, "EX DHARMA GUARDIAN-2022", between India and Japan will be conducted at Foreign Training Node, Belagavi (Belgaum, Karnataka) from 27 February 2022 to 10 March 2022
- Department Press Briefing – February 25, 2022 US Dept. of State 25 Feb 2022
- 25 February 2022 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 25 Feb 2022
- HRW: Elderly at High Risk in Armed Conflict Areas VOA 25 Feb 2022 -- Human Rights Watch says older people are often the forgotten victims in Africa's conflict zones. The rights group issued a report Wednesday looking at abuses suffered by the elderly in 14 countries, mostly African nations, caught up in conflict, ranging from Mali to Ethiopia to Mozambique.
- Pakistan-Afghanistan border dispute heats off; two killed in fresh clashes Press TV 25 Feb 2022 -- At least two people were killed and several others wounded in fresh round of clashes between the security forces of Afghanistan and Pakistan in a border town on Friday, reports said.
- Additional General License Involving Afghanistan or Governing Institutions in Afghanistan US Dept. of State 25 Feb 2022 -- The United States took action today to facilitate a broad range of commercial activity in Afghanistan that will benefit the Afghan people.
- U.S. Treasury Issues General License to Facilitate Economic Activity in Afghanistan US Treasury 25 Feb 2022 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) issued a new General License (GL) to expand authorizations for commercial and financial transactions in Afghanistan, including with its governing institutions. The GL aims to ensure that U.S. sanctions do not prevent or inhibit transactions and activities needed to provide aid to and support the basic human needs of the people of Afghanistan and underscores the United States' commitment to working with the private sector, international partners and allies, and international organizations to support the people of Afghanistan.
- US to Allow All Commerical Transactions with Afghanistan VOA 25 Feb 2022 -- The U.S. Treasury on Friday issued a new general license authorizing all commercial transactions with Afghanistan's governing institutions, expanding recently announced exemptions from sanctions against the Taliban and the Haqqani network.
- China to Host Afghanistan's Neighbors to Review Post-Taliban Situation VOA 25 Feb 2022 -- Pakistan said Friday foreign ministers of six immediate neighbors of Afghanistan will gather in China next month to discuss economic and humanitarian upheavals facing the Taliban-ruled, conflict-torn country.
- Yemeni forces intercept, shoot down intruding Emirati, Saudi reconnaissance drones Press TV 25 Feb 2022 -- Yemeni army forces and allied fighters from the Popular Committees, have separately intercepted and shot down an unmanned aerial vehicle belonging to the United Arab Emirates Air Force (UAEAF) as well as a Saudi aircraft while flying in the skies over Yemen's northern province of al-Jawf and the central province of Ma'rib.
- Envoy: Foreign forces' presence facilitates terrorist activities in Syria Press TV 25 Feb 2022 -- Iran's permanent ambassador to the United Nations condemns continued illegal presence of foreign forces in Syria as a means of facilitation of terrorist activities across the Arab country.
- 'Hot conflict' pushes 12 million Syrians into food insecurity UN News 25 Feb 2022 -- As the Syrian war has driven poverty and hunger to levels higher than at any previous point, UN Special Envoy Geir Pedersen told the Security Council on Friday that he would continue to focus on engaging the parties to bring an end to the protracted conflict.
- UN Compensation Commission Claims US Dept. of State 25 Feb 2022 -- "The United States welcomes the recent United Nations Security Council resolution reaffirming that Iraq has fulfilled its international obligations to compensate all claimants awarded compensation through the UN Compensation Commission, which was established in 1991 as a result of Saddam Hussein's unlawful invasion and occupation of Kuwait."
- Fighting ramps up in Myanmar's Shan, Kayah states, leaving scores dead Radio Free Asia 25 Feb 2022 -- Fighting between Myanmar junta troops and local militias has intensified along the border of Shan and Kayah states, leaving at least 10 civilians and 80 junta soldiers dead, sources in the region say.
- Pro-junta forces torch hundreds of more homes in Myanmar's volatile Sagaing region Radio Free Asia 25 Feb 2022 -- Military troops and pro-junta militia fighters shot at least three civilians and burned down more than 500 homes in an early morning raid on a village in Myanmar's embattled Sagaing region Friday, forcing thousands to flee in what sources said was an act of revenge.
- Visa Restrictions on Individuals Responsible for Undermining the Democratic Process in Somalia US Dept. of State 25 Feb 2022 -- The delay in the conclusion of Somalia's elections is driving political instability, threatening security gains, and undermining economic development.
- South Sudan: UN Mission to step up patrols following rising violence in Unity state UN News 25 Feb 2022 -- Perpetrators responsible for recent escalating violence in Unity state, South Sudan, must be held accountable, the UN Mission in the country, UNMISS, said in a statement on Friday.
- US House panel probes Trump's handling of classified documents Press TV 25 Feb 2022 -- A US House panel is probing former President Donald Trump's handling of White House documents with some reports that Trump might have ripped up some classified documents.
- Readout of Secretary Mayorkas's Meeting with Mayor Bowser and Chief Contee DHS 25 Feb 2022
- Authoritarian regimes gaining ground against democracies around the world: report Radio Free Asia 25 Feb 2022 -- Authoritarian regimes around the world are making gains against liberal democracies and encouraging more leaders to abandon democracy, according to a Washington-based think-tank, Freedom House.
- Briefing by Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Maria Zakharova, Moscow, February 25, 2022 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 25 Feb 2022
- Remarks by Executive-Vice President Dombrovskis at the informal ECOFIN press conference European Commission 25 Feb 2022
- Telephone conversation with President of Syria Bashar al-Assad President of Russia 25 Feb 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with President of the Syrian Arab Republic Bashar al-Assad, at the initiative of the Syrian side.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on February 25, 2022 PRC MofA 25 Feb 2022
- US: China Risks Credibility by Backing Russia VOA 25 Feb 2022 -- China's failure to condemn Russia's invasion of Ukraine is undermining its own long-standing defense of sovereignty and territorial integrity on the world stage, according to U.S. officials and experts.
- Chinese, Russian presidents hold phone conversation PLA Daily 25 Feb 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping and his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin, on Friday held a phone conversation.
- Will Ukraine invasion embolden China in the Indo-Pacific? Radio Free Asia 25 Feb 2022 -- Eyes are on China after Russia launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine to see if Beijing would make an opportunistic move in the Indo-Pacific, with analysts saying Beijing is watching developments in Ukraine "intently" before making any decision.
- Britain to Allow More Hong Kongers to Settle Under Lifeboat Plan VOA 25 Feb 2022 -- The British government has decided to expand a program allowing some Hong Kong residents to settle in the U.K., providing a potential lifeboat for thousands of young people seeking to escape increasingly repressive Chinese rule in the former British colony.
- China urges U.S. to immediately cease malicious cyber activities People's Daily 25 Feb 2022 -- China on Thursday urged the United States to offer an explanation for and put an immediate end to its malicious cyber activities, vowing to take necessary measures to safeguard its cybersecurity and its own interests.
- Iran says its nuclear work hindered by IAEA despite honoring agency's laws Press TV 25 Feb 2022 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has not only withheld assistance to Tehran's peaceful energy program, but also created obstacles for Iran despite the fact that the country has fully honored the IAEA's laws, says Iran's nuclear chief.
- Agreement in Vienna requires West's "courageous" political decision: Iran's FM People's Daily 25 Feb 2022 -- The Iranian foreign minister said Thursday that an agreement in the ongoing talks in Vienna on the restoration of a 2015 nuclear deal needs the Western sides to take a "courageous and realistic" political decision to guarantee Tehran's interests.
- Myanmar Diaspora Bankrolling Armed Resistance to Junta Back Home VOA 25 Feb 2022 -- Ethnic minority communities from Myanmar in the United States and elsewhere are pouring hundreds of thousands, possibly millions, of dollars into a growing guerrilla war against the country's year-old military regime.
- Weeks After Deadly Kazakh Unrest, Nazarbaev's Daughter Gives Up Parliamentary Seat RFE/RL 25 Feb 2022 -- A once-powerful Kazakh politician Darigha Nazarbaeva, the eldest daughter of former President Nursultan Nazarbaev, has announced that she is giving up her parliamentary seat, weeks after Nazarbaev's family loosened its grip on the oil-rich Central Asian nation following deadly unrest in early January.
- Pakistani Prime Minister's 'Ill-Timed' Moscow Visit Overshadowed By Ukraine Invasion RFE/RL Gandhara 25 Feb 2022 -- "So much excitement," Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan remarked upon arriving in Moscow on February 23, the eve of Russia's large-scale invasion of neighboring Ukraine.
- South Korea to Join Russia Sanctions, But Won't Lodge Its Own VOA 25 Feb 2022 -- South Korean officials reiterated Friday that they willl implement U.S. and European sanctions on Russian exports but that Seoul will not impose its own. The sanctions were imposed this week in response to Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
- Federal Minister for Economic Affairs Habeck on energy supply - Germany will get through the winter safely Germany - Federal Government 25 Feb 2022 -- Federal Minister for Economic Affairs Robert Habeck sees Germany's supply of natural gas as being secure. "We've stabilised the levels in the storage facilities so we can get through the winter safely," he said. He said he would nonetheless continue to do everything in his power to make sure Germany's energy supply remained secure.
- Nigerians Laud President's Signing of Electoral Reform Law VOA 25 Feb 2022 -- Nigeria's president, Muhammadu Buhari, has signed an election reform law that activists hope will improve transparency and promote inclusion.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|