26 September 2021 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S. 4th Fleet, Peru, Complete Multi-national Silent Forces Exercise US Navy 26 Sep 2021 -- Silent Forces Exercise (SIFOREX) 2021 concluded with a closing ceremony taking place in Callao, Peru, Sept. 24.
- UNITAS LXII Kicks off in Lima US Navy 26 Sep 2021 -- Naval and Marine forces from Australia, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, France, Germany, Italy, Jamaica, Mexico, Morocco, Panama, Peru, Spain, United Kingdom, Uruguay, and the United States kicked off UNITAS LXII, an annual multinational exercise, Sept. 24, in Lima, Peru.
- Russian fighter jets intercept US bomber over Pacific Press TV 26 Sep 2021 -- Three Russian SU-35S fighter jets have intercepted a US B-52H strategic bomber which was approaching Russia's border in the Pacific Ocean, the Russian Defense Ministry says.
- FC-31 stealth fighter, GJ-11 stealth attack drone that belong to China's "20" aircraft family on display at Airshow Global Times 26 Sep 2021 -- After a year's postponement due to COVID-19, the long-awaited Airshow China in Zhuhai, South China's Guangdong Province will display some of the country's latest weaponry and equipment not only in the air, but also on land and sea. A particular highlight will be dazzling flight performances by the most advanced fighter jet of the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Air Force, the J-20, the Global Times learned on Sunday in a visit to the exhibition shortly prior to its planned opening on Tuesday.
- J-16D and WZ-7 to debut at Airshow China 2021 PLA Daily 26 Sep 2021 -- The 13th China International Aviation and Aerospace Exhibition (Airshow China 2021) will be held in Zhuhai, south China's Guangdong Province, as scheduled from September 28 to October 3.
- IRGC announces fire at one of IRGC research centers IRNA 26 Sep 2021 -- The Public Relations of the Islamic Revolution Gerard Corps (IRGC) announced on Sunday evening that the fire outbreak at one of IRGC research centers in west of Tehran led to injuries of three of its employees.
- Fire breaks out at IRGC research center in Tehran, injures 3 Press TV 26 Sep 2021 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) says a fire has broken out at one of its research centers in the capital, Tehran, leaving three people injured.
- Turkey's Erdogan Signals Willingness To Buy More Russian Missiles RFE/RL 26 Sep 2021 -- Turkey's president has signaled that he is considering buying more sophisticated Russian antiaircraft missile systems, a move that would further irk Washington.
- Afghan Women's Shelters Vanishing Under Taliban Rule RFE/RL Gandhara 26 Sep 2021 -- For nearly 20 years, women's shelters were a sanctuary for hundreds of Afghan girls and women trying to escape domestic abuse, sexual violence, and forced marriages.
- Taliban Officials Call On International Airlines To Resume Flights To Afghanistan RFE/RL Gandhara 26 Sep 2021 -- Taliban officials have called on international airlines to resume flights to Afghanistan, saying that problems at Kabul airport had been resolved.
- Afghanistan welcomes U.S. allowing assistance: official People's Daily 26 Sep 2021 -- The newly-formed administration of Afghanistan has welcomed the United States recent measure allowing flow of humanitarian assistance to the Asian country, the country's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said Sunday.
- Taliban urge international airlines to resume flights to Afghanistan as issues resolved Press TV 26 Sep 2021 -- The Taliban have called for the resumption of international flights to the Afghan capital Kabul, saying all technical issues at the Hamid Karzai International airport have been resolved, amid some signs of normalcy following the group's takeover of the country last month.
- Taliban Urge Foreign Airlines to Resume Commercial Flights to Kabul VOA 26 Sep 2021 -- Afghanistan's Taliban government Sunday asked foreign airlines to resume commercial flights to and from Kabul, saying problems at the capital city's airport had been resolved and the facility "is fully operational."
- Yemeni army target arms depots of Saudi mercenaries in Ma'rib Press TV 26 Sep 2021 -- Yemeni army soldiers, backed by fighters from allied Popular Committees, have launched a missile strike, targeting arms depots belonging to Saudi-sponsored militants loyal to Yemen's former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi south of the country's central province of Ma'rib.
- Sudanese army says repulses border attack by Ethiopian forces Press TV 26 Sep 2021 -- Sudan's army says it has warded off an attempted incursion by Ethiopian forces into its territory, amid border tensions between the two African countries.
- Kosovo accuses Serbia of seeking 'conflict' by provoking ethnic Serbs Press TV 26 Sep 2021 -- Kosovo and Serbia could be headed for a fresh flareup of tensions, as Pristina has accused Belgrade of trying to provoke "a serious conflict" between the two neighbors by inciting local Serbs to attack civilian facilities near the border.
- Serbian Jets Fly Near Kosovo Border As Top U.S. Balkan Official Heads To Europe For Talks RFE/RL 26 Sep 2021 -- Two Serbian warplanes flew close to a border crossing with its former province of Kosovo on September 26 amid an intensifying dispute over license plates as U.S. and European Union officials scramble to calm the situation.
- Mali reaches out to private Russian security firms in snub to France Press TV 26 Sep 2021 -- Mali has approached private Russian security companies for help in its fight against terrorism following the French government's "unilateral" decision to "abandon" the West African country.
- Pakistan Says Four Soldiers Killed By Roadside Blast In Troubled Balochistan RFE/RL Gandhara 26 Sep 2021 -- Pakistani officials say at least four paramilitary soldiers were killed in an explosion in Balochistan, the southwestern province where separatist militants have waged a long-running insurgency.
- Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's news conference to sum up the high-level meetings week at the 76th session of the UN General Assembly, New York, September 25, 2021 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 26 Sep 2021
- Stop imposing 'development model' on other countries: Russia raps US Press TV 26 Sep 2021 -- Russia has called on the United States to stop imposing its so-called "development model" on other countries, taking a swipe at President Joe Biden for claiming Washington was ending the two-decade war in Afghanistan to "remake" other nations.
- Kremlin Says It Will Respond To Any New U.S. Sanctions As Congress Debates Draft Bills RFE/RL 26 Sep 2021 -- The Kremlin has said it would respond if the United States imposes new sanctions against Russia.
- Executive Of Russian Gas Company Arrested In U.S. Says He Will 'Vigorously' Fight Charges RFE/RL 26 Sep 2021 -- A top official at Russian natural gas producer Novatek who was arrested in the United States last week on tax charges says he is innocent and will "vigorously" fight the case.
- Anti-China group in HK shall be held accountable: spokesperson People's Daily 26 Sep 2021 -- The anti-China group "Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China" shall be held accountable under the law, even after its dissolution, a central government spokesperson said Saturday.
- Commissioner's office of Chinese foreign ministry urges Washington to reflect on its mistakes, stop meddling with Hong Kong affairs People's Daily 26 Sep 2021 -- The Office of the Commissioner of the Chinese Foreign Ministry in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) said Saturday the response of a U.S. State Department spokesman to a media outlet on a fact sheet on U.S. interference in Hong Kong affairs is simply sophistry and only makes people around the world see more clearly American hypocrisy.
- China releases first white paper specifically on Xinjiang population Global Times 26 Sep 2021 -- China on Sunday released its first white paper specifically on the population dynamics of its Xinjiang region and by citing data from the seven national censuses, the white paper showed that the population of ethnic minorities in the region has grown fast in both size and quality, with the Uygur population having increased from 3.61 million in 1953 to 11.62 million in 2020, refuting the West's "genocide" accusation with undeniable facts.
- China issues white paper on Xinjiang's demographic development People's Daily 26 Sep 2021 -- China's State Council Information Office Sunday issued a white paper detailing the demographic development in Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region.
- Xinjiang's "genocide" accusations lay bare hegemonic mindset of anti-China forces: white paper People's Daily 26 Sep 2021 -- The accusations of "genocide" in northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region conjured up by the anti-China forces in some countries such as the United States lay bare their hideous double standards, hypocrisy, and hegemonic mindset, said a white paper on Sunday.
- White paper says anti-China forces demonize China with "genocide" accusations People's Daily 26 Sep 2021 -- Anti-China forces smear the country's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, demonize China, and vilify China's governance of the region with accusations of "genocide," a white paper said Sunday.
- Five more allies voice support for Taiwan in U.N. General Assembly CNA 26 Sep 2021 -- Five more leaders of Taiwan's diplomatic allies have spoken up to support Taiwan's inclusion in the United Nations system at the U.N. General Assembly (UNGA) on Saturday, namely, St. Lucia, Eswatini, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Haiti and Tuvalu.
- President Xi warns of 'complex, grim' situation with Chinese Taipei Press TV 26 Sep 2021 -- China's President Xi Jinping has warned that ties between Beijing and Chinese Taipei have been "complex and grim", calling on the self-ruled island's main opposition party to help seek "unification of the country."
- UK conducts UN sanctions enforcement to counter North Korea's weapons programmes UK FCDO 26 Sep 2021 -- HMS Richmond captured evidence of ships apparently breaching UN sanctions targeting North Korea's Weapons of Mass Destruction and ballistic missile programmes.
- North Korea says willing to resume inter-Korean talks based on mutual respect Press TV 26 Sep 2021 -- North Korea has expressed its readiness to resume inter-Korean talks on officially ending the 1950-53 Korean War based on mutual respect.
- Washington should be "more active" in restoring Iran nuclear deal: Russian FM People's Daily 26 Sep 2021 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov on Saturday called on Washington to play a "more active role" in helping resume the stalled talks aimed at reviving the 2015 Iran nuclear deal.
- Germans Voting Ends; Exit Polls Show Tight Contest VOA 26 Sep 2021 -- Voting has ended in Germany's national parliamentary elections with exit polling indicating a tight contest between outgoing Chancellor Angela Merkel's center-right Christian Democratic Union and the center-left Social Democrats.
- Voting underway in tight race as Germany prepares for post-Merkel era Press TV 26 Sep 2021 -- Millions of Germans are casting their ballots in an unpredictable election that will decide a successor to Chancellor Angela Merkel, as she prepares to leave office after 16 years in power.
- UK looking at deal to remove China from nuclear project: Report Press TV 26 Sep 2021 -- The UK is closing in on a deal that would remove China from involvement in building a new nuclear power station on the Suffolk coast, eastern England, alongside France's EDF, according to the Guardian.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|