05 September 2021 Military News
- White House Again Pledges to Get Americans Out of Afghanistan VOA 05 Sep 2021 -- A top White House official pledged Sunday that the United States would find a way to get the remaining Americans out of Afghanistan if they want to leave, but a key Republican foreign affairs lawmaker said Taliban insurgents are blocking easy passage out of the Kabul airport.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US ballistic missile-detection aircraft hold close-in recon on China, provocative move to be closely monitored: observer Global Times 05 Sep 2021 -- The US military recently dispatched its ballistic missile-detection aircraft for consecutive close-in reconnaissance activities near China, according to reports by a Chinese think tank, with military observers saying on Sunday that the US aircraft attempted to spy on China's ballistic missile tests, but their moves must have been closely monitored by China.
- Taiwan to start building tank training facilities next year CNA 05 Sep 2021 -- Taiwan is set to start construction of two tank training facilities in Hsinchu County next year as it is scheduled to take delivery of 108 M1A2T Abrams tanks from the United States from 2024-2026, according to the Ministry of National Defense's (MND's) budget plan.
- NT hosts India for maritime exercise Australia DOD 05 Sep 2021 -- This week the Northern Territory will host the biennial AUSINDEX maritime warfare exercises between the Royal Australian Navy and the Indian Navy.
- INS TABAR'S VISIT TO ALEXANDRIA India PIB 05 Sep 2021 -- As part of her ongoing overseas deployment, INS Tabar entered Alexandria harbour in Egypt on 03 Sep 21. The ship was received by officials from the Egyptian Navy and the Indian Defence Attache.
- UN Official Pledges To Maintain Humanitarian Aid After Kabul Meeting, Taliban Says RFE/RL Gandhara 05 Sep 2021 -- The UN's humanitarian chief has promised to maintain assistance for the Afghan people after a meeting in Kabul with senior Taliban officials.
- UN says Taliban pledge to cooperate with aid efforts Press TV 05 Sep 2021 -- The United Nations says the Taliban have vowed to offer all necessary cooperation with the humanitarian efforts that are aimed at Afghanistan.
- Taliban claim deep advances into Panjshir Valley, opposition vows stiff resistance Press TV 05 Sep 2021 -- The Taliban claim to have advanced deep into Afghanistan's last remaining province and holdout of resistance against the group, the Panjshir Valley, while opposition fighters say heavy battle continues in the province.
- Top US general warns of civil war in Afghanistan amid clashes between Taliban and opposition Press TV 05 Sep 2021 -- A top US general has warned of a "civil war" in Afghanistan amid clashes between the Taliban and opposition forces in the Panjshir Valley north of Kabul.
- Iran: Peace in Afghanistan only possible through broad-based, inclusive government Press TV 05 Sep 2021 -- Iran says establishment of peace and stability in Afghanistan is only possible through the formation of a broad-based government in the war-ravaged country.
- Afghan Resistance Leader Says Ready For Negotiations To End Panjshir Fighting RFE/RL Gandhara 05 Sep 2021 -- The leader of Afghanistan's resistance front against the Taliban said on September 5 that he welcomed proposals by religious scholars for a negotiated settlement to end the fighting in the Panjshir Valley, the last holdout against Taliban control in Afghanistan, as resistance fighters and the militants both claimed gains.
- Afghan Opposition Leader Ready for Conditional Peace Talks with Taliban VOA 05 Sep 2021 -- The commander of an armed opposition group in Afghanistan said Sunday he welcomed proposals from religious scholars for holding peace talks with the Taliban if they pull back their forces from his native northern Panjshir province.
- Merkel Calls For Talks With Taliban About Further Evacuations From Afghanistan RFE/RL Gandhara 05 Sep 2021 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said that Berlin must engage with the Taliban in order to help evacuate Afghans who worked for the country.
- How Are the Taliban Organized? VOA 05 Sep 2021 -- After two decades of near-constant warfare and destruction, the Taliban now face the need to figure out how to govern the underdeveloped and impoverished nation they have just recaptured. Some insight into how that may progress can be gleaned from a closer look at the group's leadership and organizational structure, as well as the parallel shadow government they established to prepare themselves for the challenges ahead.
- Suicide Blast Kills 4 Pakistan Troops, Injures 18 VOA 05 Sep 2021 -- A suicide bombing in Pakistan's southwestern Baluchistan province Sunday killed at least four soldiers and wounded 18 others.
- Three Pakistani Paramilitary Soldiers Killed In Suicide Bomb Attack RFE/RL Gandhara 05 Sep 2021 -- Pakistan officials say at least three paramilitary soldiers were killed when a suicide bomber on a motorbike blew himself up in the country's restive southwest.
- Yemen: 16 drones, ballistic missiles used to hit targets deep inside Saudi Arabia Press TV 05 Sep 2021 -- The Yemeni Armed Forces have used 16 drones and ballistic missiles to hit targets deep inside Saudi Arabia in their latest operation, the spokesman for the country's armed forces has announced.
- Yemenis launch retaliatory missile, drone strikes on Saudi Arabia Press TV 05 Sep 2021 -- Yemeni armed forces have targeted Saudi Arabia's eastern and southern regions with ballistic missiles and drones in retaliation for the Riyadh regime's bloody war and siege on its impoverished neighbor.
- The United States Condemns Houthi Attack Against Saudi Arabia US Dept. of State 05 Sep 2021 -- The United States condemns the latest Houthi missile attack against Saudi Arabia that struck the Eastern Province on September 4, injuring two children and damaging several homes. This is completely unacceptable. These attacks threaten the lives of the Kingdom's residents, including more than 70,000 U.S. citizens.
- Syria resumes pounding militants' positions in Dara'a after Russia-mediated deal fails Press TV 05 Sep 2021 -- The Syrian military has renewed its attacks against the last militant enclave in the southwestern city of Dara'a following the collapse of a Russian-mediated deal to restore government rule in the area and end the presence of militants there.
- Daesh terrorists kill 16 Iraqi security forces in two provinces Press TV 05 Sep 2021 -- The Daesh terrorist group has carried out an attack near Iraq's northern city of Kirkuk, killing 13 members of the Iraqi federal police, medical and security sources say.
- United States Condemns the Unjust Detention of Crimean Tatar Leaders US Dept. of State 05 Sep 2021
- More Than 50 Crimean Tatars Detained In Russia-Annexed Crimea RFE/RL 05 Sep 2021 -- More than 50 Crimean Tatars have been detained by the Russian intelligence service in Ukraine's Russia-controlled Crimea region, Ukrainian officials said on September 4.
- Indian officials accuse late Kashmiri leader's family under anti-terror law Press TV 05 Sep 2021 -- The police in Indian-controlled Kashmir has registered a case under a sweeping anti-terrorism law against the family of a pro-independence leader, who recently passed away at his residence in the main city of Srinagar.
- Hacking Servers. Online Blocking. Police Raids. Information Attacks. What Won't The Kremlin Do To Stop 'Smart Voting'? RFE/RL 05 Sep 2021 -- Here's the main reason why Aleksei Navalny has become such a potent political force and a threat to the Kremlin: his splashy exposés documenting corruption and ostentatious spending by government officials, usually accompanied by his acerbic wit.
- On the Military Seizure of Power in Guinea US Dept. of State 05 Sep 2021 -- "The United States condemns today's events in Conakry."
- Army putschists claim coup in Guinea, say on TV they have taken over Press TV 05 Sep 2021 -- Guinean Special Forces have declared that they have dissolved the constitution and the government of President Alpha Conde and closed the West African nation's borders, hours after a heavy gunfire erupted around the presidential palace in the capital, Conakry.
- Guinea Soldiers Claim They've Staged a Successful Coup VOA 05 Sep 2021 -- Members of the Guinea military staged an apparent coup Sunday, declaring on national television that they had arrested President Alpha Conde, dissolved the country's constitution, and sealed off land and air borders.
- 3 people convicted of rioting near HK PolyU in 2019 Global Times 05 Sep 2021 -- Three people were convicted on Saturday of rioting in the vicinity of the Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) in 2019, when hundreds of protesters inside the campus were surrounded by the police during the PolyU siege.
- Separatist HK alliance doomed to collapse for crossing red line of national interest: Central govt's liaison office Global Times 05 Sep 2021 -- The collapse of the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China, a de facto opposition-leaning political group, is a certainty and a definitive trend, said the spokesperson for the Liaison Office of the Central People's Government in Hong Kong, after the alliance reportedly initiated the voting procedure for dissolution on Sunday.
- 19 Chinese military planes enter Taiwan's ADIZ CNA 05 Sep 2021 -- A total of 19 Chinese military aircraft, including fighter jets, flew into Taiwan's southwestern air defense identification zone (ADIZ) on Sunday, the fourth time this has taken place in September, according to the Ministry of National Defense.
- What President Raisi told Iranians during his 1st televised address IRNA 05 Sep 2021 -- President Ebrahim Raisi addressed the Iranian nation on Saturday during his first televised speech since taking office on August 5. He spoke about the most important priorities and challenges of his administration.
- Iran condemns U.S. sanctions on four Iranians for alleged "kidnapping" charges People's Daily 05 Sep 2021 -- The spokesman for Iran's Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Saturday condemned recent U.S. sanctions on four Iranian citizens for what he called "fictitious" charges.
- Assad: Syria will stand by Lebanese people, support them on all levels Press TV 05 Sep 2021 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad says his country will continue to support crisis-hit Lebanon and stand with its people at all levels.
- New Head Of Serbian Orthodox Church In Montenegro Inaugurated As Police Clash With Protesters RFE/RL 05 Sep 2021 -- CETINJE, Montenegro -- The new head of the Serbian Orthodox Church in Montenegro has been inaugurated, arriving by helicopter under the protection of police who dispersed hundreds of protesters with tear gas.
- Salvadoran Re-Election Ruling Undermines Democracy US Dept. of State 05 Sep 2021 -- The United States government condemns the September 3 ruling by the Constitutional Chamber of the Supreme Court of El Salvador, which authorized immediate presidential re-election in contravention of the Salvadoran constitution.
- Tanzania Opposition Condemns Arrest of Chadema Party Members VOA 05 Sep 2021 -- Opposition and rights activists in Tanzania have condemned the arrest of several members of the country's main opposition Chadema party, who were to hold a forum to discuss constitutional reforms. The action happened while Chadema leader Freeman Mbowe remains behind bars facing terrorism-related charges that his party has branded a bid by President Samia Suluhu Hassan's government to silence the opposition.
- US rocket 'terminated' in fiery explosion minutes after launch Press TV 05 Sep 2021 -- A privately designed, unmanned US rocket built to carry satellites has been demolished in an explosive fireball following what was described as an "anomaly" off the California coast during its first attempt at reaching Earth's orbit.
- Venezuela signals 'partial agreements' at talks with opposition in Mexico Press TV 05 Sep 2021 -- A senior Venezuelan government official has said negotiations with the opposition were being conducted in a cordial atmosphere in Mexico and so far yielded "partial agreements."
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|