29 August 2021 Military News
- U.S. Central Command statement on defensive strike in Kabul CENTCOM 29 Aug 2021 -- U.S. military forces conducted a self-defense unmanned over-the-horizon airstrike today on a vehicle in Kabul, eliminating an imminent ISIS-K threat to Hamad Karzai International airport.
- UPDATE: U.S. Central Command statement on defensive strike in Kabul CENTCOM 29 Aug 2021 -- We are aware of reports of civilian casualties following our strike on a vehicle in Kabul today.
- U.S. Drone Strike Hits Vehicle Heading To Kabul Airport RFE/RL Gandhara 29 Aug 2021 -- The United States has carried out a drone strike in Kabul on a vehicle carrying Islamic State militants, military officials said on August 29.
- US Airstrike Hits Attacker Targeting Kabul Airport VOA 29 Aug 2021 -- The United States conducted an airstrike Sunday against a vehicle that posed a threat to the Kabul airport, following U.S. warnings of an imminent attack in the area.
- US Embassy in Kabul Issues Threat Alert VOA 29 Aug 2021 -- A few hours after U.S. President Joe Biden said another attack on the Kabul airport is likely within the next 24 to 36 hours, the U.S. Embassy in Kabul, citing a specific and credible threat, urged U.S. citizens to leave the vicinity of the airport.
- Joint Statement on Afghanistan Evacuation Travel Assurances US Dept. of State 29 Aug 2021
- Dozens of Nations Say Taliban Have Pledged Safe Passage for Evacuees VOA 29 Aug 2021 -- The United States said in a joint statement with dozens of other countries Sunday that the Taliban will allow safe passage out of Afghanistan to all foreign nationals and Afghans with travel documents from another country.
- U.S. Winds Down Afghanistan Evacuations As Last Troops Prepare To Withdraw RFE/RL Gandhara 29 Aug 2021 -- The United States moved to wind down an international mission to evacuate thousands of Afghans and foreign nationals on August 29 as President Joe Biden warned the threat of terrorist attacks on the airport in Kabul in the final hours "remains high."
- Sullivan: U.S. Expects 'Safe Passage' For Americans, Afghans From Afghanistan RFE/RL Gandhara 29 Aug 2021 -- White House national-security adviser Jake Sullivan has said that the U.S. administration expects the Taliban to continue allowing safe passage for Americans and others to leave Afghanistan after the U.S. military withdrawal is completed next week.
- U.S. Flights Take Afghan Evacuees from Italy to the United States US Navy 29 Aug 2021 -- Evacuees from Afghanistan departed Naval Air Station Sigonella Aug. 28th en route to the United States. The U.S.-bound planes took off at full capacity carrying American citizens and vulnerable Afghans to Philadelphia and Dulles Airport as part of Operation Allies Refuge.
- Afghans See More Checkpoints as Taliban Widen Airport Security Cordon VOA 29 Aug 2021 -- The Taliban have widened a security cordon around Kabul airport, at American request, but the move means Afghans heading for the last evacuation flights encounter more checkpoints.
- Afghans Evacuated From Kabul In U.S. Airlift Arrive In Kosovo RFE/RL Gandhara 29 Aug 2021 -- A planeload of Afghan citizens landed in Kosovo on August 29 after fleeing their country following the takeover by the Taliban.
- Rocket attack hits near Kabul airport, US says carried out drone strike against Daesh Press TV 29 Aug 2021 -- A loud blast has been heard in the Afghan capital Kabul near the city's international airport hours after US officials warned of the possibility of a terror attack in the war-torn country's capital city.
- Taliban ready to take over Kabul airport as US pushes to wrap up evacuations Press TV 29 Aug 2021 -- The Taliban and US forces are aiming for a swift handover of the Kabul airport to the militants who are prepared to take charge of the strategic facility, a Taliban official said.
- US Successfully Evacuates All Afghan Employees at Kabul Embassy - Reports Sputnik 29 Aug 2021 -- The United States has evacuated all local Afghan staffers at its embassy in Kabul, as well as their families, ABC News reports citing an internal report.
- Taliban Reject Creation of 'Safe Zone' in Kabul as Unnecessary Sputnik 29 Aug 2021 -- The Taliban (a terrorist group, banned in Russia) on Sunday discarded the idea of creating a UN-controlled "safe zone" in Kabul as unnecessary.
- Biden, First Lady Pay Respects To U.S. Troops Killed By Suicide Bomber At Kabul Airport RFE/RL Gandhara 29 Aug 2021 -- U.S. President Joe Biden and his wife, first lady Jill Biden, arrived at a military base in Delaware on August 29 to honor 13 members of the U.S. military recently killed in a suicide bombing during the evacuation of civilians from Kabul airport.
- Biden Honors US Military Members Killed in Afghanistan VOA 29 Aug 2021 -- President Joe Biden and First Lady Jill Biden met with the families of thirteen U.S. service members killed in a bombing near the Kabul airport last week.
- Afghan children 'at greater risk than ever', top UNICEF official warns UN News 29 Aug 2021 -- With the needs of Afghan children greater than ever before, the world "cannot abandon them now", a senior official with the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) appealed on Sunday after concluding a visit to the country.
- Taliban Close to Formation of Cabinet, Announcement of New Government VOA 29 Aug 2021 -- A senior Taliban leader confirmed to VOA on condition of anonymity that the group is in the final stages of announcing a new Cabinet that was expected to include all members of its current Rahbari Shura, or leadership council.
- Chinese FM urges US to take 'concrete actions' to help Afghanistan eliminate terrorism and avoid double standards Global Times 29 Aug 2021 -- The US was urged to take "concrete actions" to help Afghanistan combat terrorism and avoid adopting double standards during a phone call on Sunday between the Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister, Wang Yi, and US Secretary of State, Antony Blinken.
- Macron says France, Britain to submit resolution to UNSC for Kabul safe zone Press TV 29 Aug 2021 -- French President Emmanuel Macron says France and the United Kingdom are planning to present an emergency resolution to the United Nations Security Council for the Taliban to support a civilian-run safe zone in the Afghan capital Kabul, in a bid to protect people trying to leave the war-ravaged country.
- Boris Johnson regrets manner of UK withdrawal from Afghanistan Press TV 29 Aug 2021 -- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has expressed his regret of the way his government withdrew from Afghanistan, saying Britain "would not have wished to leave in this way."
- Women allowed to attend university under Taliban rule: Acting higher education minister Press TV 29 Aug 2021 -- The Taliban's acting higher education minister says Afghan women would be allowed to study at university under the group's rule, but there would be a ban on mixed classes.
- Memorandum on the Designation of the Department of Homeland Security as Lead Federal Department for Facilitating the Entry of Vulnerable Afghans into the United States The White House 29 Aug 2021
- DHS to Serve as Lead Federal Agency Coordinating Efforts to Resettle Vulnerable Afghans DHS 29 Aug 2021 -- President Biden has directed the Secretary of Homeland Security to have his department serve as the lead agency coordinating ongoing efforts across the federal government to resettle vulnerable Afghans, including those who worked on behalf of the United States.
Defense Policy / Programs
- EU Should Provide Baltic States With Air Defense Systems, Estonian President Says Sputnik 29 Aug 2021 -- Estonian President Kersti Kaljulaid told the national Diplomaatia magazine that the European Union should fund medium-range air defence systems for Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania.
- Thirty Years Ago, Kazakhstan Closed Soviet-Era Nuclear Test Site RFE/RL 29 Aug 2021 -- August 29 marks 30 years since Kazakhstan closed its Semipalatinsk test site, a vast, remote area that was used by the Soviet Union for hundreds of atmospheric and underground nuclear tests over a period of 40 years.
- Iran defense systems to witness remarkable development IRNA 29 Aug 2021 -- Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major General Mohammad Baqeri says that the synergy between Iranian Army, Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC), Police, and Defense Ministry will bring significant development in country's defense systems.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with People's Republic of China State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi US Dept. of State 29 Aug 2021
- Yemeni army strikes on military base kill at least 30 Saudi mercenaries Press TV 29 Aug 2021 -- Scores of Saudi-sponsored militiamen loyal to Yemen's former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi have lost their lives when Yemeni army soldiers and fighters from allied Popular Committees launched strikes against their position in the country's southern province of Lahij.
- At Least 30 Killed, 60 Wounded in Houthi Strikes on Yemeni Military Base, Reports Say Sputnik 29 Aug 2021 -- Earlier, Houthi rebels announced that its forces had taken control over two districts in the central Yemeni province of Al Bayda.
- Tigray rebels reject AU appointment of Nigeria's Obasanjo as mediator Press TV 29 Aug 2021 -- Rebel forces in northern Ethiopia have accused the African Union (AU) of bias towards the country's central government after the bloc selected former Nigerian president Olusegun Obasanjo as a mediator to end the months-long conflict.
- Turkey Ready to Normalise Relations With Armenia, Erdogan Says Sputnik 29 Aug 2021 -- Turkey is ready to gradually develop relations with Armenia after hearing Yerevan's conciliatory statements, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Sunday.
- Armenia's Defence Ministry Reports Firefight on Border With Azerbaijan Sputnik 29 Aug 2021 -- Armenia's Ministry of Defence said on Sunday that an intense firefight broke out on the border with Azerbaijan overnight.
- President Joseph R. Biden, Jr. Approves Louisiana Disaster Declaration The White House 29 Aug 2021
- Remarks by President Biden on Hurricane Ida The White House 29 Aug 2021
- Readout of Biden Administration Calls with Gulf Coast Elected Officials The White House 29 Aug 2021
- Raisi: Economic issues shouldn't depend on nuclear negotiations IRNA 29 Aug 2021 -- Iran's President Ebrahim Raisi on Sunday said that the economic issues should not depend on the nuclear negotiations.
- Iranian President Raisi Appoints UN-Sanctioned Minister to Lead Country's Nuclear Agency Sputnik 29 Aug 2021 -- Previously, the Iranian nuclear department was led by Ali Akbar Salehi - a scientist involved in the penning of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), or the Iran nuclear deal, in 2015.
- As Washington Summit Nears, Disappointment Looms Over Ukraine-U.S. Relations RFE/RL 29 Aug 2021 -- Shortly after Joe Biden won the U.S. presidential election last November, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy expressed optimism the incoming occupant of the White House would be a better fit for his country than his predecessor.
- South Sudan Police Warn Against Anti-Government Protests VOA 29 Aug 2021 -- The South Sudan National Police Service has deployed officers on the streets of the capital, Juba, and warned South Sudanese not to take part in the scheduled nationwide Monday protests against the government.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|