26 June 2021 Military News
- Thousands Of Afghan Families Displaced As Fight For Kunduz Rages RFE/RL Gandhara 26 Jun 2021 -- Local aid officials in north Afghanistan said on June 26 that thousands of families have been displaced as government troops battle Taliban militants for control of the key city of Kunduz.
- Biden Tells Afghan Leaders They Must Decide Their Country's Fate RFE/RL Gandhara 26 Jun 2021 -- U.S. President Joe Biden called on Afghans to decide the future of their country as he met on June 25 with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani and Abdullah Abdullah, the head of the country's High Council for National Reconciliation.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS Ross enters Black Sea for Exercise Sea Breeze US Navy 26 Jun 2021 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Ross (DDG 71) entered the Black Sea to participate in the 21st iteration of Exercise Sea Breeze 2021 (SB21), June 26, 2021.
- INS TABAR DEPLOYED TO PARTICIPATE IN JOINT EXERCISES WITH FRIENDLY NAVIES IN AFRICA AND EUROPE India PIB 26 Jun 2021 -- Towards enhancing military cooperation with friendly nations, Indian Naval Ship Tabar commenced her prolonged deployment on 13 June and will visit a number of ports in Africa and Europe till end September. During port visits, Tabar will conduct professional, social and sporting interactions. The ship will also participate in a number of joint exercises with friendly navies.
- HMCS Harry DeWolf First Ship Commissioned from National Shipbuilding Contract Nova Scotia 26 Jun 2021 -- Premier Iain Rankin, also Minister responsible for Military Relations, today, June 26, participated in the commissioning of Her Majesty's Canadian Ship (HMCS) Harry DeWolf, the Royal Canadian Navy's (RCN's) lead ship in its class of Arctic Offshore Patrol Vessels.
- Tigray: UN condemns murder of 3 MSF humanitarians as 'appalling violation' of international law UN News 26 Jun 2021 -- Three employees of the Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) agency have been killed by unknown attackers in the restive Tigray region of Ethiopia, drawing swift condemnation from UN Secretary-General António Guterres who said on Saturday he was "deeply shocked" by the murders.
- Fewer Kenyan Youths Joining al-Shabab VOA 26 Jun 2021 -- Kenyan authorities say at least 350 young people who joined the Somali Islamist militant group al-Shabab have surrendered this year and will be reintegrated into society.
- Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Says He Plans To Meet With U.S. Ambassador To 'Normalize' Diplomatic Work RFE/RL 26 Jun 2021 -- Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov has said he plans to meet soon with U.S. Ambassador John Sullivan, who returned to Moscow this week after two months away from the post.
- Chinese Ambassador Leaves Washington With Relations at Low Ebb VOA 26 Jun 2021 -- Cui Tiankai, the 69-year-old career diplomat who has served as China's ambassador to the United States since April 2013, is getting ready to go home.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson's Remarks on Ukraine's Withdrawal of Endorsement of the Anti-China Joint Statement Made at the 47th Session of the Human Rights Council PRC MofA 26 Jun 2021
- Carrie Lam, new officials vow to make greater contributions to country, Hong Kong People's Daily 26 Jun 2021 -- Carrie Lam, chief executive of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), and newly appointed HKSAR government officials vowed on Friday to make greater contributions to the country and Hong Kong.
- Mainland spokesperson slams DPP official's provocative remarks People's Daily 26 Jun 2021 -- Attempts by the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) authority secessionists to seek "Taiwan independence" through force will only end in a devastating failure, a mainland spokesperson said Friday.
- FM spox: US should make up mind and return to JCPOA IRNA 26 Jun 2021 -- Spokesman for the Iranian Foreign Ministry Saeed Khatibzadeh said it is now for the US to make up its mind and return to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) by lifting illegal sanctions and effectively implementing its final commitments.
- Iranian ambassador in Vienna: Iran-IAEA technical understanding not an obligation IRNA 26 Jun 2021 -- In response to the unlawful remarks of the Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency accusing Tehran of failure to respond to the extension of the technical agreement between the two sides, the Iranian ambassador in Vienna Kazem Gharib Abadi stated that the agreement is not an obligation.
- Iran's reaction to comments by US, French foreign ministers ISNA 26 Jun 2021 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman responded to comments by the US and French foreign ministers who had said they were waiting for Tehran to rejoin the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- UN Leader Condemns Myanmar Military Over Sexual Violence VOA 26 Jun 2021 -- A U.N. investigator described an "extremely concerning" pattern of sexual violence by Myanmar's military in a statement Friday.
- Bundestag Speaker Warns Of 'Great' Danger Of Outside Meddling In German Elections RFE/RL 26 Jun 2021 -- The speaker of the German parliament, Wolfgang Schaeuble, has expressed concern over the threat of foreign actors trying to influence elections to the Bundestag, scheduled for late September.
- More Suspects Arrested Following Deadly Lahore Bombing RFE/RL Gandhara 26 Jun 2021 -- Counterterrorism police in Pakistan have arrested three more people in connection with a deadly car-bomb blast in the eastern city of Lahore, bringing the total number of suspects in custody to five.
- Turkey Starts Canal Project Amid Environmental, Regional Concerns VOA 26 Jun 2021 -- In a blaze of publicity, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan laid a foundation stone close to Istanbul, starting the construction of a 45-kilometer canal linking the Black and Marmara seas. Erdogan declared the project would usher in a new era for Istanbul and for Turkey.
- Anti-Government Protests Grow Again in Thailand VOA 26 Jun 2021 -- For the second time in as many days, anti-government protesters took to the streets of Bangkok demanding the resignation of Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-O-Cha.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|