26 June 2021 Security News
Other Security News
- Bundestag Speaker Warns Of 'Great' Danger Of Outside Meddling In German Elections RFE/RL 26 Jun 2021 -- The speaker of the German parliament, Wolfgang Schaeuble, has expressed concern over the threat of foreign actors trying to influence elections to the Bundestag, scheduled for late September.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- WHO Chief: Corona Delta Variant 'Spreading Rapidly' VOA 26 Jun 2021 -- World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Friday that the delta variant of the novel coronavirus has been identified in at least 85 countries and "is the most transmissible of the variants identified so far . . . and is spreading rapidly among unvaccinated populations." He also said, "As some countries ease public health and social measures, we are starting to see increases in transmission around the world."
- Delta Variant Prompts Some Countries to Return to Lockdown VOA 26 Jun 2021 -- The delta variant of the coronavirus is sending Australia, New Zealand and Bangladesh into some form of lockdown, along with parts of Portugal. Even Israel, where more than half of the population is vaccinated, is reimposing a mask mandate in enclosed public places.
- China's Guangzhou to conduct new round of COVID-19 nucleic acid testing People's Daily 26 Jun 2021 -- Guangzhou, capital of south China's Guangdong Province, plans to complete another round of nucleic acid testing for COVID-19 before the end of June, local health authorities said Friday.
- China Says 'No Conditions Attached' After It Is Accused Of Vaccine Threat To Ukraine Over Uyghur Rights RFE/RL 26 Jun 2021 -- China responded angrily on June 26 to accusations that Beijing pressured Ukraine into withdrawing its support for greater scrutiny of Chinese actions in Xinjiang by threatening to withhold COVID-19 vaccine shipments.
- Russian COVID Deaths Set New High For 2021, Again RFE/RL 26 Jun 2021 -- Russia on June 26 reported its deadliest day so far this year from COVID-19, with 619 patients succumbing over the previous 24 hours to top the previous day's high.
- Communists Rally Against 'Mandatory' Vaccination In Hard-Hit Moscow RFE/RL 26 Jun 2021 -- Police in the Russian capital detained at least eight people on June 26 after a Communist-led rally opposing compulsory vaccination against COVID-19.
- India's COVID19 Vaccination Coverage crosses the landmark of 31 cr India PIB 26 Jun 2021 -- In a significant achievement, India's cumulative vaccination coverage has exceeded 31 Crores yesterday
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update- Day 162 India PIB 26 Jun 2021 -- In another significant achievement, India's cumulative COVID Vaccination Coverage crossed the landmark of 32 crore (32,11,43,649), as per the 7 pm provisional report today
- COVID-19 Vaccination Update India PIB 26 Jun 2021
- COVID-19 UPDATE India PIB 26 Jun 2021 --
- COVID-19 kills 123 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 26 Jun 2021 -- The number of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic in Iran increased to 83,711 with 123 more Iranians killed by the deadly disease over the past 24 hours, Iran's Health Ministry announced on Saturday.
- Iran should be proud of developing COVID-19 vaccine domestically: President Rouhani ISNA 26 Jun 2021 -- Saying that we are witnessing a declining trend in the country regarding COVID-19 pandemic, Iran's President said, "Of course, some southern provinces in the country have special conditions, but in general we are not witnessing a new rise and a new wave of disease in the country".
- Taiwan reports 80 new COVID-19 cases, 13 deaths (update) CNA 26 Jun 2021 -- Taiwan on Saturday reported 80 new cases of COVID-19, all but two of which were domestic infections, as well as 13 deaths from the disease, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- First locally transmitted Delta variant cases confirmed in Pingtung CNA 26 Jun 2021 -- Six cases of the highly infectious Delta variant of COVID-19 have been confirmed in Pingtung County, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Saturday, but the number could increase.
- Taiwan's Taoyuan hospital battling growing COVID-19 cluster CNA 26 Jun 2021 -- Taoyuan Armed Forces General Hospital in northern Taiwan announced on Saturday that it will suspend inpatient and outpatient services, and stop taking emergency admissions and giving vaccine shots amid a growing cluster of COVID-19 cases linked to the hospital.
- Zimbabwe Receives COVID-19 Shots From China VOA 26 Jun 2021 -- Zimbabwe on Saturday received a half-million Sinopharm shots against COVID-19 it bought from China, a development officials said would put its vaccination program back on track.
- Afghan Officials: Delta Variant Accounts for Nearly 60% of New Infections VOA 26 Jun 2021 -- Authorities in Afghanistan confirmed Saturday the delta coronavirus variant, first identified in India, has been mainly responsible for the recent surge in cases and deaths in the war-torn country.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|