28 March 2021 Military News
- U.S. Afghan Envoy Looks To Accelerate Peace Talks In Trip To Region RFE/RL Gandhara 28 Mar 2021 -- Washington's special envoy to Afghanistan Zalmay Khalilzad has traveled to Turkey and the region as part of an effort to encourage the Taliban and the Afghan government to work toward a peace agreement as a deadline for the withdrawal of U.S. troops looms.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Red Flag 21-2 creates agile, multi-domain problem-solvers US Air Force 28 Mar 2021 -- "Nested within the U.S. Air Force Warfare Center and 57th Wing priorities, Red Flag is aligned with our National Defense Strategy," said Col. William Reese, 414th Combat Training Squadron commander. "Using complex mission scenarios against a powerful and unrestricted aggressor team, participants get the best high-end training available."
- Test-Firing of Russia's Zircon Hypersonic Missile Expected This Summer, Sources Say Sputnik 28 Mar 2021 -- The Russian Northern Fleet's frigate of Project 22350, Admiral of the Soviet Union Fleet Gorshkov, will test fire a Zircon (Tsirkon) hypersonic cruise missile at the start of the summer, two defense industry sources told Sputnik.
- US Reportedly Concerned that China Is Ready to 'Flirt with the Idea of Unification' with Taiwan Sputnik 28 Mar 2021 -- Although the US does not officially challenge Beijing's position that Taiwan is part of China, Washington has been contacting Taipei directly and recently increased its navy activity in the Taiwan Strait under the pretext of ensuring free passage through it.
- RSAF Combat Aircraft Complete Arriving in Pakistan to Participate in 2021 Air Excellence Center Exercise SPA 28 Mar 2021 -- The Saudi Royal Air Force (RSAF)'s combat aircraft with all air, technical and support crews completed on Saturday their arrival in Mushaf Airbase in the Islamic Republic of Pakistan to participate in 2021 Air Excellence Center Exercise.
- Statement on ADF personnel arriving into Darwin from the Middle East Region Australia DOD 28 Mar 2021 -- On 27 March 2021, an Australian Defence Force (ADF) member who arrived in Darwin on a routine Defence sustainment flight from the Middle East Region returned a positive result for COVID-19 during arrival testing at the Howard Springs Quarantine Facility.
- Remarks by President Biden Before Air Force One Departure The White House 28 Mar 2021
- Saudi-led war inflicted $111bn in damage to Yemen's agriculture sector: Ministry Press TV 28 Mar 2021 -- The Sana'a government's Agriculture and Irrigation Ministry has enumerated the harm caused by the Saudi-led military coalition against Yemeni people, saying that the Riyadh-led aggression has, directly and indirectly, inflicted $111 billion in damage to Yemen's agriculture sector.
- Yemen says to unveil new missiles as Saudi steps up airstrikes Press TV 28 Mar 2021 -- Saudi military aircraft have carried out a spate of airstrikes in Yemen's Hudaydah as the kingdom presses ahead with a military campaign against its southern neighbor, despite announcing a "new peace initiative."
- Dozens of civilians killed in Mozambique extremist attack Press TV 28 Mar 2021 -- Dozens of people have been killed in an attack on the town of Palma in northern Mozambique, a spokesman for the country's defense and security forces said.
- Six civilians killed in French strike in northern Mali Press TV 28 Mar 2021 -- Local officials say the French military, purportedly on counter-terrorism missions in Mali, has killed six civilians in an airstrike in the northern part of the West African nation.
- Al-Shabaab militants call for attacks on US, French interests in Djibouti ahead of country's presidential vote Press TV 28 Mar 2021 -- The al-Shabab militant group has called for attacks on interests of the United States and France in Djibouti, almost two weeks ahead of the presidential election in the East African country.
- Al-Shabab Issues Threats Ahead of Elections in Djibouti VOA 28 Mar 2021 -- The leader of Somalia's al-Shabab militant group is calling for lone wolf attacks against American and French interests in Djibouti ahead of key presidential elections in the Horn of Africa country.
- Russian Oversight Commission Meets Navalny In Prison RFE/RL 28 Mar 2021 -- Members of the Public Oversight Commission in the Vladimir Region have met with jailed opposition leader Aleksei Navalny following his complaints about his declining health and poor medical treatment in Correctional Colony No. 2.
- US Vows 'Consequences' for Russian Actions VOA 28 Mar 2021 -- U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken says there will be "costs and consequences" for Russia for its allegedly malign activities against the United States.
- Regular Press Conference of the Ministry of National Defense on March 25 PLA Daily 28 Mar 2021
- China announces sanctions on U.S., Canadian individuals, entity People's Daily 28 Mar 2021 -- China on Saturday announced sanctions on relevant U.S. and Canadian individuals and entity, citing the two countries' recent moves of imposing unilateral, disinformation-based sanctions on relevant individuals and entity in China's Xinjiang.
- China Announces More Tit-For-Tat Sanctions On U.S., Canadian Citizens Over Xinjiang Criticism RFE/RL 28 Mar 2021 -- Beijing has announced sanctions against two Americans, a Canadian, and a rights advocacy group over their criticism of China's treatment of Uyghurs in the northwestern region of Xinjiang.
- China Ships More Goods Via Russian, Central Asian Land Routes As Sea Costs Rise RFE/RL 28 Mar 2021 -- Chinese companies have been sending more goods by rail through Russia and Central Asia in recent months as the cost of shipping by sea increases.
- China reaffirms willingness to develop ties with Iran despite changing global landscapes Global Times 28 Mar 2021 -- No matter how the world situation changes, China's willingness to develop the China-Iran relations will not change, Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi said on Saturday during his meeting with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani.
- Strategic China agreement major element for power generation: Parliament speaker Press TV 28 Mar 2021 -- Iran's Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf says the signing of a strategic cooperation agreement with China is a major factor for development of the country's politico-economic power.
- Myanmar Soldiers Burn Man Alive in Weekend Orgy of Junta Violence Radio Free Asia 28 Mar 2021 -- Security forces in Myanmar unleashed machine guns and grenades on protesters Sunday, a day after the army's slaughter of more than 100 protesters sparked demands for international action and marauding troops n Mandalay burned a night watchman alive while shooting at people who tried to help him.
- Myanmar: Top UN officials condemn military's 'shameful, cowardly' attacks on peaceful protesters UN News 28 Mar 2021 -- Two senior UN officials denounced on Sunday, "systematic" attacks on peaceful demonstrators in Myanmar and flagged that the international community has a responsibility to protect the people from atrocities.
- World Bank, Asian Development Bank Freeze Funds to Myanmar to Shun Junta VOA 28 Mar 2021 -- Moves by the World Bank and Asian Development Bank to freeze funds to post-coup Myanmar could make many vulnerable communities worse off even as the lenders look for ways to keep some projects going without the government, analysts and experts say.
- Myanmar Military Opens Fire on Funeral VOA 28 Mar 2021 -- Myanmar's security forces opened fire on a funeral Sunday, a day after more than 100 people were killed during protests against the February military coup.
- More Than 100 Killed in Bloodiest Day of Myanmar's Military Crackdown VOA 28 Mar 2021 -- More than 100 people were killed Saturday in Myanmar as the military junta backed by police continued a brutal, countrywide crackdown on pro-democracy protesters on Armed Forces Day, marking the deadliest day of protests since the February 1 military coup.
- Armenia's Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan to Resign in April Sputnik 28 Mar 2021 -- Armenia has been swept by mass protests since early November 2020 in the wake of Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan signing an agreement with Azerbaijan to end hostilities in the breakaway republic of Nagorno-Karabakh, viewed by Armenians as a defeat in the long-lasting conflict.
- Armenia PM to resign ahead of snap elections to 'curb political crisis' Press TV 28 Mar 2021 -- Armenia's Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan has announced his decision to step down next month in an attempt to "defuse a political crisis" gripping the country since last year's conflict with Azerbaijan.
- Protests spread across Bangladesh after Indian prime minister's visit Press TV 28 Mar 2021 -- Protesters have attacked a train and some Hindu temples in eastern Bangladesh as anger mounts over deadly police violence in the wake of a visit by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Turkmen Voters Given Two Hours To Cast Ballots In Senate Election RFE/RL 28 Mar 2021 -- Turkmenistan held its first elections to a newly created senate on March 28 with 112 candidates contesting 48 senate seats.
- Focus Shifts to Monday Evening to Free Shipping Vessel Stuck in Suez Canal VOA 28 Mar 2021 -- With more powerful tugboats to help, Egyptian authorities said they would focus on trying again Monday evening to remove from the Suez Canal one of the world's largest container ships, which has blocked the key shipping trade route for nearly a week.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|