22 November 2020 Military News
- Islamic State Claims Deadly Kabul Rocket Attack VOA 22 Nov 2020 -- Officials in Afghanistan say about two dozen mortar shells hit downtown Kabul early Saturday, killing at least eight people and injuring 31 others.
- U.S. Participation in Afghanistan 2020 Conference US Dept. of State 22 Nov 2020 -- Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs David Hale will lead the United States delegation to the Afghanistan 2020 Conference, which will be held virtually November 23-24.
- Afghan vice president vows to track down culprits behind Kabul multiple blasts Press TV 22 Nov 2020 -- Afghan Vice President Amrullah Saleh has vowed to track down the culprits behind recent Multiple blasts, which rocked the densely populated parts of the capital Kabul and killed at least 10 people.
- US Deploys B-52 Bombers to the Middle East After Announcing Further Troop Withdrawals Sputnik 22 Nov 2020 -- On Tuesday, the Trump administration announced troops cuts in Afghanistan and Iraq by January 15 as a result of Trump's peace deal with Taliban earlier this year and his 2016 presidential campaign pledge to end any ongoing global warfighting by US troops.
- US Air Force bombers reportedly deployed to Mideast Press TV 22 Nov 2020 -- US Air Force B-52H Stratofortress bombers have reportedly been deployed to the Middle East amid concerns that the country's lame-duck President Donald Trump might be seeking to escalate the situation with Iran.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Barry Returns to the South China Sea US Navy 22 Nov 2020 -- After conducting their fourth routine transit through the Taiwan Strait this year, Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Barry (DDG 52) returned to South China Sea to conduct maritime security operations and promote peace and stability in the region.
- Treaty on Open Skies US Dept. of State 22 Nov 2020 -- "On May 22, 2020, the United States exercised its right pursuant to paragraph 2 of Article XV of the Treaty on Open Skies by providing notice to the Treaty Depositaries and to all States Parties of its decision to withdraw from the Treaty, effective six months from the notification date. Six months having elapsed, the U.S. withdrawal took effect on November 22, 2020, and the United States is no longer a State Party to the Treaty on Open Skies."
- U.S. Officially Withdraws From Open Skies Treaty; Moscow Says 'All Options Are Open To Us' RFE/RL 22 Nov 2020 -- The United States formally withdrew on November 22 from the Open Skies Treaty, an 18-year-old arms control and verification agreement that Washington repeatedly accused Moscow of violating.
- Trump formally withdraws US from Open Skies Treaty Press TV 22 Nov 2020 -- The United States has withdrawn from the Open Skies Treaty that allows unarmed surveillance flights over member countries, the Trump administration's latest move to pull the US out of a global treaty.
- White House Quits Open Skies Treaty Branding it Outdated and Violated by Russia Sputnik 22 Nov 2020 -- The Trump administration announced its intention to withdraw from the Open Skies Treaty in May, accusing Russia of violating its conditions. Moscow dismissed the allegations. With the scrapping of Open Skies as far as the US is concerned, the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty is now the last major arms control agreement between Russia and the US.
- US to Officially End Participation in Open Skies Treaty on 22 November Sputnik 22 Nov 2020 -- Participation by the US in the Treaty on Open Skies officially ends on Sunday, six months after the administration of US President Donald Trump announced the government's intent to quit the agreement.
- Pompeo, Stoltenberg Talk China at Halifax Security Forum VOA 22 Nov 2020 -- Everyone had something to say about China at this year's Halifax International Security Forum.
- Interview with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg for the Halifax International Security Forum NATO 22 Nov 2020
- China's Y-20 strategic transport aircraft gets key indigenous engine: reports Global Times 22 Nov 2020 -- China's Y-20 strategic transport aircraft is finally getting its long-awaited domestically developed engines, which recently made their first public appearance, multiple media reports speculated recently. The new engines are expected to boost the Y-20's key performances including range and cargo capacity, in addition to reducing reliance on imported engines, experts said on Sunday.
- Indian Navy to Host Exercise SIMBEX-20 in Andaman Sea India PIB 22 Nov 2020 -- Indian Navy (IN) is scheduled to host the 27th edition of India - Singapore Bilateral Maritime Exercise SIMBEX-20 from 23 to 25 November 2020 in Andaman Sea.
- TRILATERAL MARITIME EXERCISE SITMEX-20 IN ANDAMAN SEA India PIB 22 Nov 2020 -- Indian Navy (IN) Ships including indigenously built ASW corvette Kamorta and missile corvette Karmuk are participating in the 2nd edition of India, Singapore and Thailand Trilateral Maritime Exercise SITMEX-20, from 21 to 22 November 20 in Andaman Sea.
- Senior U.S. intelligence official visit draws information blackout CNA 22 Nov 2020 -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) on Sunday said it had no comment on a reported visit made by a senior U.S. military intelligence official to Taiwan.
- Australia's top military official pledges changes after Afghan war crimes report Press TV 22 Nov 2020 -- Australia's Defense Force Chief General Angus Campbell has acknowledged the "horror" that the country's troops had caused in Afghanistan, pledging comprehensive reforms.
- US senator opposes arms sales to UAE, citing links to radical militants Press TV 22 Nov 2020 -- US Democratic Senator Chris Murphy has opposed sale of arms to the United Arab Emirates (UAE), insisting that the oil-rich Persian Gulf state has a history of transferring American weapons to radical militants in the region.
- Secretary Pompeo's Meeting with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud US Dept. of State 22 Nov 2020
- Senior State Department Official to Traveling Press US Dept. of State 22 Nov 2020
- Saudi's violence against Yemeni kids must stop: Yemen Foreign Ministry Press TV 22 Nov 2020 -- Yemen's Foreign Ministry has demanded an immediate and unconditional end to the Saudi-led military coalition's violence against children in the embattled country.
- Daesh attack leaves multiple casualties among Iraqi security forces, civilians Press TV 22 Nov 2020 -- Three civilians and six Iraqi security forces, including two members of the Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) anti-terror group, have been killed in a fresh attack by Daesh terrorists north of Baghdad, officials said.
- Ethiopia army threatens 'no mercy' will be in all-out assault on rebel-held Mekele Press TV 22 Nov 2020 -- Ethiopia's military has threatened a full-scale attack on the rebel-held Mekele, the capital of the dissident Tigray region, warning civilians to flee and save their lives, as violence continues to rage in the East African country for the third week.
- Ethiopian Military Captures Idaga Hamus Town From TPLF Rebels in Tigray, Authorities Say Sputnik 22 Nov 2020 -- Ethiopian military seized Idaga Hamus from the Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF) on Sunday and is advancing to capture the capital of the restive Tigray region, Mekele, the government agency overseeing the implementation of a state of emergency said.
- Ethiopia's Abiy Gives Tigray Region 72-Hour Ultimatum VOA 22 Nov 2020 -- Ethiopia's prime minister has issued an ultimatum to Tigrayan regional forces to surrender or face a military offensive on the state's capital of Mekele.
- Tibetan political leader visits US in defiance of China Press TV 22 Nov 2020 -- The Tibetan political leader has visited Washington for the first time in six decades, in a move that is likely to escalate tensions between the United States and China.
- Ankara Says Turkish Military Will Work in Monitoring Centre With Russia on Karabakh For 1 Year Sputnik 22 Nov 2020 -- Turkish servicemen will work in the joint centre for monitoring a ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh with Russia for one year, the Turkish Defence Ministry said on Sunday.
- Israeli warplanes attack north of Gaza Strip Press TV 22 Nov 2020 -- Israeli jet fighters have reportedly launched air raids against eastern Beit Hanoun in the north of the besieged Gaza Strip.
- Putin Says No Hidden Motive In Not Congratulating Biden RFE/RL 22 Nov 2020 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin said there was no hidden motive in his decision to not congratulate President-elect Joe Biden in the U.S. election, insisting the Kremlin was merely waiting for an "end to the domestic political standoff."
- Putin Reveals Why He Hasn't Yet Congratulated Biden Sputnik 22 Nov 2020 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin said he was not guided by ulterior motives when he withheld congratulations for Joe Biden on his projected presidential victory amid Donald Trump's refusal to concede.
- US clears way for convicted Israeli spy to move to Israel Press TV 22 Nov 2020 -- Former US Navy Intelligence officer and convicted Israeli spy Jonathan Pollard has been cleared to travel to Israel despite his life-imprisonment sentence back in 1986 amid welcoming statement by top Israeli officials.
- Full Text: Remarks by Chinese President Xi Jinping at 15th G20 Leaders' Summit PLA Daily 22 Nov 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Saturday addressed the 15th G20 Leaders' Summit via video link.
- Two HK district councillors among three arrested over conspiracy to defraud in LegCo elections Global Times 22 Nov 2020 -- Six people were arrested in Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) over the weekend on charges of conspiracy to defraud in the general elections for the Legislative Council (LegCo), and sponsoring secessionist activities, including two district councillors and a radio DJ.
- U.S.-Taiwan dialogue strengthens economic links: Pompeo CNA 22 Nov 2020 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has praised the first U.S.-Taiwan Economic Prosperity Partnership (EPP) Dialogue as the event that boosts the economic relationship of the two countries.
- FM spokesman: Iran trying hard to resolve regional conflicts IRNA 22 Nov 2020 -- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh said on Sunday that Iran is not only not indifferent about the recent conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia, as with other regional conflicts, but also it has always made its best to help resolve these crises through peaceful means.
- Iran enters new phase of enrichment: Envoy IRNA 22 Nov 2020 -- Iran's Ambassador and Permanent Representative to International Organizations in Vienna Kazem Gharibabadi said on Sunday that injecting uranium hexafluoride, or UF6, into the centrifuge is the final step to start enrichment and separating uranium-238 from uranium-235.
- IAEA says it has access to verify Iran Safeguards commitments IRNA 22 Nov 2020 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said in its latest statement that it has access to Iranian nuclear sites to verify Iran Safeguards commitments.
- Future of Iran-US relations not simple: Khatibzadeh ISNA 22 Nov 2020 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman, Saeed Khatibzadeh stressed that the future of Iran-US relations is not simple because of Americans' crimes against the Iranian nation during the past 40 years from backing the Regime of Saddam in Imposed War to economic sanctions and assassinating General Soleimani.
- Iran has most transparent nuclear program among IAEA members: Envoy Press TV 22 Nov 2020 -- Iran's nuclear energy program is one of the most transparent among those run by the member states of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), and has been subject to the largest number of inspections by the agency, says the Iranian permanent ambassador to international organizations in Vienna.
- Iran withstands Washington's 'maximum pressure' as US power declines: IRGC commander Press TV 22 Nov 2020 -- The chief commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) says the Iranian nation continues to resist Washington's so-called "maximum pressure" campaign as the US is losing its power and influence both inside and outside its borders.
- Netanyahu Instructs Next US President Not to Return to Iran Nuclear Deal Sputnik 22 Nov 2020 -- The Biden campaign has hinted that the candidate may seek to rejoin or "renegotiate" the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action nuclear deal with Iran if he were to win. Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif dismissed any talk of "renegotiation," saying the only acceptable option would be for Washington to return to the existing agreement.
- Riyadh supports 'full normalization' with Israel: Saudi FM Press TV 22 Nov 2020 -- The Saudi foreign minister says his country supports "full normalization" of ties with the Israeli regime provided that its only precondition is met.
- Hundreds Detained Despite New Tack By Anti-Government Protesters in Belarus RFE/RL 22 Nov 2020 -- Rights groups say at least 350 protesters were detained in the capital and other cities on November 22 in the latest demonstrations challenging Alyaksandr Lukashenka's grip on power.
- Belarus to Impose Sanctions on High-Ranking EU Officials, Foreign Minister States Sputnik 22 Nov 2020 -- Minsk will slap sanctions on high-ranking officials of the European Union, Belarusian Foreign Minister Vladimir Makei said on Sunday.
- Hundreds Detained in Ongoing Belarus Protests Against Longtime President VOA 22 Nov 2020 -- More than 200 people have been arrested, a rights group said Sunday, as Belarusians continued to protest longtime President Alexander Lukashenko in Minsk.
- Syria's Assad names veteran diplomat Faisal Mekdad as new foreign minister Press TV 22 Nov 2020 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has appointed Faisal Mekdad as the new foreign minister to replace his predecessor Walid al-Muallem, who recently passed away.
- Iran's Zarif calls for lifting of all 'cruel, unfair' sanctions against Syria Press TV 22 Nov 2020 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says all the "cruel and unfair" sanctions against Syria's government and nation must be lifted, not least at the time of the deadly coronavirus pandemic.
- North Africa's al-Qaeda names new leader as Takfiris expand foothold Press TV 22 Nov 2020 -- The North African offshoot of the al-Qaeda terrorist group has reportedly appointed a new leader after confirming the death of its former leader killed in June, as Takfiri outfits continue to propagate their gory ideology in the continent, particularly in the Sahel region.
- Turkey part of Europe, but won't bow down to pressure, double standards: Erdogan Press TV 22 Nov 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has accused the European Union (EU) of double standards against Turkey, saying his country will not bow down to pressures in order to gain full membership of the bloc.
- Protesters set fire to Guatemala's Congress in protests over budget cuts Press TV 22 Nov 2020 -- Thousands of Guatemalans have taken to the streets in the capital, setting fire to the congressional building in a show of anger over recent budget cuts.
- Nigerian general dismisses bloody Lagos protest videos as 'manipulated' Press TV 22 Nov 2020 -- The Nigerian army has dismissed as "manipulated" videos that showed its soldiers fatally shot or injured peaceful protesters during demonstrations against police brutality in the country's economic hub of Lagos in October.
- Concern Mounts Over Kyrgyzstan's Rushed Constitutional Overhaul RFE/RL 22 Nov 2020 -- Hundreds of people marched through the Kyrgyz capital, protesting proposed constitution changes that opponents say will erode drastically freedoms in the Central Asian country.
- Cameroon Begins Election Campaign amid Separatist Violence VOA 22 Nov 2020 -- Cameroon has begun the campaign season for its December 6 regional council elections amid threats and attacks from separatists fighting to create an English-speaking state in the French-majority country. The separatists, who have vowed to disrupt the polls, attacked several military convoys dispatched to protect voters. The government is pleading with citizens to help recently deployed troops by denouncing suspects.
- Polls Close in Burkina Faso Elections VOA 22 Nov 2020 -- Polls closed in Burkina Faso's national elections Sunday, as much of the nation voted under the looming threat of jihadist violence.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|