13 November 2020 Military News
- Helicopter Crash in Egypt US Dept. of State 13 Nov 2020
- Afghanistan Hit By Surge Of Targeted Killings, Assassinations RFE/RL Gandhara 13 Nov 2020 -- A surge of targeted killings and assassinations has swept Afghanistan, where violence has soared despite peace efforts aimed at ending the war.
Defense Policy / Programs
- This Week in Operation Warp Speed - Nov. 13, 2020 DoD 13 Nov 2020
- Acting Secretary of Defense Miller - Initial Message to the Department DoD 13 Nov 2020 -- "We are not a people of perpetual war -it is the antithesis of everything for which we stand and for which our ancestors fought. All wars must end. Ending wars requires compromise and partnership. We met the challenge; we gave it our all. Now, it's time to come home."
- Acting Defense Secretary Seeks to Reassure Allies DoD News 13 Nov 2020 -- Acting Defense Secretary Christopher C. Miller used his meeting with Lithuanian Defense Minister Raimundas Karoblis to reassure leaders that although there has been a change at the top of the department, "the Department of Defense remains strong and continues its vital work of protecting our homeland, our people and our interests around the world."
- Colorado National Guard infantry trains for deployment Army News 13 Nov 2020 -- Colorado Army National Guard Soldiers with Company A, 1st Battalion, 157th Infantry Regiment, trained in Guernsey, Wyoming, Oct. 15-25, preparing for a deployment.
- Readout of Acting Defense Secretary Christopher C. Miller's Meeting With Lithuanian Minister of Defence Raimundas Karoblis DoD 13 Nov 2020
- Next-generation headset preps Soldiers for future battlefield Army News 13 Nov 2020 -- The third Capability Set of the Integrated Visual Augmentation System (IVAS) was tested at Fort Pickett by 82nd Airborne Soldiers and 25th Marines during October 2020.
- Carrier Strike Group 11 destroyers support maritime security in U.S. 5th Fleet CENTCOM 13 Nov 2020 -- The guided-missile destroyers USS Sterett (DDG 104), USS Ralph Johnson (DDG 114) and USS John Paul Jones (DDG 53) are supporting Coalition Task Force (CTF) Sentinel, the British-led operational arm of the International Maritime Security Construct (IMSC).
- Acting SECDEF, Lithuanian Minister of Defense Participate in Bilateral Negotiation DoD 13 Nov 2020 -- Acting Secretary of Defense Christopher C. Miller; Lithuanian Minister of National Defense Raimundas Karoblis
- Readout of Acting Secretary of Defense Christopher C. Miller Phone Call with Japanese Defense Minister Nobuo Kishi DoD 13 Nov 2020
- Readout of Acting Secretary of Defense Mr. Christopher C. Miller Phone Call With French Minister of Armed Forces Florence Parly DoD 13 Nov 2020
- Readout of Acting Secretary of Defense Mr. Christopher C. Miller Phone Call With German Federal Minister of Defence Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer DoD 13 Nov 2020
- Readout of Acting Secretary of Defense Mr. Christopher C. Miller Phone Call With U.K. Secretary of State for Defense Ben Wallace DoD 13 Nov 2020
- USS William P. Lawrence Joins Hurricane Eta Relief in Honduras US Navy 13 Nov 2020 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS William P. Lawrence (DDG 110) and the "Easyriders" of Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) 37 are supporting humanitarian assistance and disaster relief (HA/DR) efforts in Honduras in response to the devastation left by Hurricane Eta.
- USS Sioux City Assists Distressed Mariner US Navy 13 Nov 2020 -- The Freedom-variant littoral combat ship USS Sioux City (LCS 11) assisted a tanker in distress while operating in the U.S. Fourth Fleet area of operations, November 11.
- The United States of America and The Republic of Korea on Working Together to Promote Cooperation between the Indo-Pacific Strategy and the New Southern Policy US Dept. of State 13 Nov 2020 -- The text of the following fact sheet was released by the Governments of the United States of America and the Republic of Korea following bilateral consultations on the margins of the 2020 East Asia Summit.
- NATO Secretary General: we need to work together to find common solutions NATO 13 Nov 2020 -- Speaking at the annual Riga Conference on Friday (13 November 2020), NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg stressed the importance of Alliance unity and Allies' continued investment in defence to ensure peace and prosperity for the future.
- Russia set to open naval base for nuclear warships in Sudan Press TV 13 Nov 2020 -- Russia has signed a draft deal to build a naval logistics base in Sudan, where it will station up to four nuclear warships on the Red Sea coast.
- Chinese military releases outline to improve joint combat capabilities People's Daily 13 Nov 2020 -- The Central Military Commission (CMC) has released an outline on improving the joint combat capabilities of the Chinese People's Liberation Army.
- Chinese military releases outline to improve joint combat capabilities PLA Daily 13 Nov 2020 -- The Central Military Commission (CMC) has released an outline on improving the joint combat capabilities of the Chinese People's Liberation Army.
- China, ROK coast guards conduct joint patrol in designated waters People's Daily 13 Nov 2020 -- The Chinese coast guard authority has joined hands with its counterpart in the Republic of Korea (ROK) for the first ever joint patrol in designated waters under a China-ROK fishing agreement, according to the China Coast Guard.
- China, ROK coast guards carry out joint patrols in provisional measures zone for first time PLA Daily 13 Nov 2020 -- The China Coast Guard (CCG) vessel 6501 and the Korea Coast Guard (KCG) vessel 3009 formed a formation and conducted the first joint patrol in the provisional measures zone (PMZ) under the China-South Korea Fishery Agreement recently.
- China's space tracking ship sets sail on monitoring missions PLA Daily 13 Nov 2020 -- China's third-generation space tracking ship Yuanwang-6 departed on Friday for multiple spacecraft monitoring missions.
- North Korea Could be 'Training Dolphins for Military Purposes', Report Claims Sputnik 13 Nov 2020 -- Marine mammals are said to be good students when it comes to locating and picking up various objects underwater. They are also much faster than humans, which suggested that dolphins could be a valuable addition to the armed forces.
- QRSAM Missile System Achieves Major Milestone India PIB 13 Nov 2020 -- Quick Reaction Surface to Air Missile (QRSAM) System has achieved a major milestone by a direct hit on to a Banshee Pilotless target aircraft at medium range & medium altitude.
- Turkey Capable of Overcoming Consequences of Arms Embargo, Erdogan Says Sputnik 13 Nov 2020 -- Turkey has made significant achievements in developing its defence industry and is capable of overcoming the consequences of an arms embargo, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said.
- Pompeo Embarks on Trip to Europe, Middle East Amid Transition Delay VOA 13 Nov 2020 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo embarks Friday on a 10-day, seven-nation trip to Europe and the Middle East that will focus on counterterrorism and religious freedom.
- Senior State Department Officials Previewing Secretary Pompeo's Travel to France, Turkey, Georgia, Israel, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia US Dept. of State 13 Nov 2020
- 13 November 2020 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 13 Nov 2020
- Biden Likely to Continue Tough Policy on South China Sea, Analysts Say Radio Free Asia 13 Nov 2020 -- There will be more continuity than change in U.S. policy on the South China Sea under a Biden administration, statements made by the former vice president and his close advisors suggest, as a hawkish stance on China holds firm across both major political parties.
- Amid China Tensions, Malaysia, Philippines and Vietnam Pin Hopes on Biden VOA 13 Nov 2020 -- Projected U.S. president-elect Joe Biden will energize Southeast Asian countries that spar with the more powerful China over the disputed South China Sea by siding with them without inviting armed conflict, analysts believe.
- The Joint Forced Command of the Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen: Interception, Destruction of (5) Bomb-Laden UAVs Launched by Terrorist, Iran-Backed Houthi Militia Toward the Kingdom SPA 13 Nov 2020 -- A statement by the Official Spokesman of the Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen Brigadier General Turki Al-Malki stated that the "Joint Coalition Forces have intercepted and destroyed today (Thursday ) (5) bomb-laden UAVs launched deliberately and systematically by the terrorist Houthi militia to target civilians and civilian. objects in the Kingdom.
- Fire erupts at Saudi Arabia's Jizan petroleum products platform after Yemeni boat attack Press TV 13 Nov 2020 -- A fire has broken out near a floating platform of an oil distribution station in Saudi Arabia's southern region of Jizan, after Saudi forces purportedly destroyed two explosive-laden boats believed to have been launched by Yemeni fighters.
- World Food Programme sent expired medical, food supplies to Yemen: Official Press TV 13 Nov 2020 -- A senior Yemeni official has lashed out at the World Food Programme (WFP) for sending expired food and medicine to the crisis-stricken Arab country.
- Iraq reports fresh victories against Daesh, urges all countries to fight terrorism Press TV 13 Nov 2020 -- Iraq's Foreign Ministry has highlighted the country's victory in its fight against terrorism thanks to the Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) and other security forces, urging the entire world to follow suit and counter the grave menace.
- France, Germany Laud Ukraine's Opening Of New Crossing Points To Separatist-Held Territory RFE/RL 13 Nov 2020 -- France and Germany have welcomed Kyiv's opening of new crossing points along the contact line with separatist territory in Ukraine's east, and have called on separatist authorities and their ally Russia to respond in kind by opening crossing points to separatist-controlled areas.
- Technology, Tactics, And Turkish Advice Lead Azerbaijan To Victory In Nagorno-Karabakh RFE/RL 13 Nov 2020 -- It took Azerbaijan just 43 days to win back its territory around the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh -- seven districts of mountains and foothills that were occupied by Armenian separatists since Baku's humiliating battlefield failures of the early 1990s.
- Macron Says France Ready To Help Building Lasting Solution To Nagorno-Karabakh Conflict RFE/RL 13 Nov 2020 -- With a Russia-brokered truce between Armenia and Azerbaijan continuing to hold in the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh, French President Emmanuel Macron says he is ready to help build a lasting and balanced solution for all sides in the conflict.
- Pakistani-Indian Military Clashes Kill 13 in Kashmir VOA 13 Nov 2020 -- Pakistan and rival India say fierce military clashes across their frontier in disputed Kashmir have killed at least 13 people and wounded many more on both sides, with each country accusing the other of initiating the fight.
- At Least 11 Indians Killed in Pakistan Cross-Border Shelling Sputnik 13 Nov 2020 -- Security officials in India have recently revealed that alleged attempts by Pakistan to smuggle terrorists into Jammu and Kashmir will probably increase before heavy snowfall in the valley when mountain passes are blocked, restricts movement. India has accused Pakistan of sponsoring terrorism in Kashmir, an allegation Islamabad denies.
- Civilians, Soldiers Reported Killed After Indian, Pakistani Troops Exchange Fire RFE/RL Gandhara 13 Nov 2020 -- Cross-border shelling between India and Pakistan has left at least 15 dead and 35 wounded.
- India, Pakistan exchange fire across Kashmir border, 15 killed Press TV 13 Nov 2020 -- At least 15 people, including five security personnel, have been killed and dozens of others wounded as Indian and Pakistani forces exchanged fire across the Line of Control (LoC) in Kashmir, the de facto border that divides the region between India and Pakistan.
- China, India to implement reciprocal disengagement plan, with India first withdrawing trespassing staff: source Global Times 13 Nov 2020 -- The Global Times has learned from sources that China and India are about to implement a disengagement plan under reciprocal principle with the premise that India should firstly withdraw staff who illegally crossed lines on the southern side of the Pangong Tso Lake.
- Palestinians denounce Pompeo's planned visit to Israeli settlement Press TV 13 Nov 2020 -- Palestinian Prime Minister Mohammed Shtayyeh and the resistance movement of Hamas have decried a planned visit by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to an Israeli settlement in the occupied West Bank.
- Ethiopian Prime Minister Appoints New Chief Executive of Tigray Region Sputnik 13 Nov 2020 -- Mulu Nega has been appointed as the chief executive of the rebellious northern region of Tigray, Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed said on Friday.
- Reported Ethiopia massacre: UN rights chief warns of spiralling situation, war crimes UN News 13 Nov 2020 -- Disturbing reports of an alleged massacre have surfaced in Ethiopia's Tigray region, amid fighting between national and regional forces that may become impossible to control, the UN human rights chief warned on Friday.
- Thousands Flee Violence in Ethiopia's Tigray as PM Appoints New Local Leader VOA 13 Nov 2020 -- Ethiopia's weeklong military siege on the country's Tigray region has led to an upheaval of the local government, a day after thousands fled Ethiopia into Sudan in the midst of a mass killing.
- Ethiopia Names New Leader for Restive Tigray Region VOA 13 Nov 2020 -- The Ethiopian Parliament has appointed a new leader for the restive Tigray region after the region's president and leaders of the ruling Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF) were stripped of their immunity from prosecution, Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed announced Friday.
- UN Rights Chief Alarmed by Reports of Massacre in Ethiopia's Tigray Region VOA 13 Nov 2020 -- U.N. human rights chief Michelle Bachelet warns escalating fighting in Ethiopia's Tigray region could spiral out of control if allowed to continue much longer.
- Bangladesh to Move Rohingya Refugees From Remote, Flood-Prone Island Radio Free Asia 13 Nov 2020 -- About 300 Rohingya refugees who were taken to a Bay of Bengal island in May will be moved to Cox's Bazar in mainland Bangladesh so they can be reunited with their relatives, a senior foreign ministry official told BenarNews on Friday.
- Anarchy Reigns in Mozambique's Cabo Delgado as Conflict Escalates VOA 13 Nov 2020 -- U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet is calling for urgent measures to protect civilians who are at the mercy of marauding armed groups in Mozambique's northern Cabo Delgado province.
- Mozambique Cabo Delgado violence is a 'desperate' situation, warns Bachelet UN News 13 Nov 2020 -- There is increasing concern about the worsening security situation in Cabo Delgado province in northern Mozambique, which the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights described on Friday as "desperate".
- Biden Presidency Could Be Pivotal in US-Turkey Relations, Analysts Say VOA 13 Nov 2020 -- Turkish analysts say Joe Biden's projected presidential election victory could prove to be a pivotal moment in Turkey's relations with the United States -- one that could see Ankara pivoting back to its traditional Western allies or further deepening ties with Russia and China.
- President-Elect Biden and South Korean President Moon Reaffirm U.S.-ROK Alliance in Return to Normalcy Radio Free Asia 13 Nov 2020 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in and U.S. President-elect Joe Biden during a phone call this week reaffirmed Seoul and Washington's commitment to their alliance, a development that North Korea watchers told RFA represents a return to normalcy in their bilateral relationship and also U.S. policy on North Korea.
- Iraqis Voice Mixed Reactions to Biden's Election VOA 13 Nov 2020 -- The projected election of Joe Biden as the 46th president of the United States has been met with mixed reactions in war-torn Iraq, where nearly 3,000 American troops remain to help the country's forces fight the remnants of the Islamic State terror group.
- France Marks 5 Years Since November 2015 Paris Attacks VOA 13 Nov 2020 -- Five years after the deadly Paris attacks that killed more than 100 people in November 2015, the country paid tribute to the victims Friday. This anniversary is taking place amid a new terror threat as France has been targeted by radical Islamists in recent months.
- What Is the Fate of Trump's Border Wall? VOA 13 Nov 2020 -- Joe Biden, projected to become America's 46th president in January, has vowed to stop the construction of a border wall along the Mexico border, leaving questions about the future of the centerpiece of President Donald Trump's bid to curb unauthorized immigration at the southern border.
- ONDCP Releases Data on Coca Cultivation and Cocaine Production in Bolivia The White House 13 Nov 2020
- Briefing by Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Maria Zakharova, Moscow, November 13, 2020 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 13 Nov 2020
- Germany angered by Russia's plan to slap retaliatory sanctions in Navalny case Press TV 13 Nov 2020 -- Germany has criticized Russia's plan to slap retaliatory sanctions on Berlin over the case of Russian opposition figure Alexei Navalny.
- Germany Criticizes Russia's Tit-For-Tat Sanctions As 'Unjustified' RFE/RL 13 Nov 2020 -- The German government has sharply criticized tit-for-tat sanctions imposed by Moscow in retaliation to EU sanctions related to the poisoning of Russian opposition leader Aleksei Navalny.
- The Week In Russia: The End Of Something In The South Caucasus RFE/RL 13 Nov 2020 -- Russia may have a day or more in the sun, after getting troops into Azerbaijan and attaining other goals with a deal to end the fighting over Nagorno-Karabakh, but the long-term forecast is cloudier. Meanwhile, a death in Minsk is not good news for Moscow, and the Kremlin holds back on congratulating U.S. President-elect Joe Biden.
- Siberian City Mayor Arrested For Corruption Live On The Internet RFE/RL 13 Nov 2020 -- The mayor of the city of Tomsk, Ivan Klyain, has been detained on suspicion of abuse of office in an arrest captured live on a video broadcast.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on November 13, 2020 PRC MofA 13 Nov 2020
- China Congratulates Biden on Election Victory VOA 13 Nov 2020 -- China on Friday extended its congratulations to U.S. President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris.
- Why China Was Slow to Congratulate Biden VOA 13 Nov 2020 -- Several days after other major nations, China has finally acknowledged President–elect Joe Biden's projected victory in the U.S. presidential election, which was called by major American news organizations on November 7.
- China extends congratulations to Biden, Harris Global Times 13 Nov 2020 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry on Friday extended the country's congratulations to Joe Biden and Kamala Harris, and said China respects the choice of the Americans.
- China's congratulations to Biden, Harris 'show respect to US people, law' Global Times 13 Nov 2020 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry on Friday extended the country's congratulations to Joe Biden and Kamala Harris, and said China respects the choice of the Americans, in a move which Chinese analysts said shows China's utmost respect to US laws, election rules, all parties and voters, while congratulations from the top national leaders of China will be sent once official results are released.
- Trump admin ramps up pressure on China to limit Biden's policy space Global Times 13 Nov 2020 -- Imposing a ban on US investment in 31 companies for a so-called "military link," denying Taiwan island as part of China… as the hope for a second term quickly fades away, the Trump administration seems to speed up their "crazy" pressure of China and "abominably" squeeze out room for rational bilateral ties in the past two days in the hope of maximizing its negative legacy on Joe Biden, who has been declared the winner of the presidential election, Chinese experts said.
- Sanctions, granting asylum – West's waste HK cards won't deter China Global Times 13 Nov 2020 -- Some Western countries, especially the US, UK and Canada, appear to have reached a consensus to pressure China on the Hong Kong issue on Thursday, with the US vowing to hold accountable people responsible for "eroding Hong Kong's autonomy," and the others announcing plans to interfere in China's affairs.
- Commissioner's Office of Chinese Foreign Ministry in HKSAR once again warns foreign politicians to stop interference Global Times 13 Nov 2020 -- A spokesperson of the Commissioner's Office of the Chinese Foreign Ministry in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Thursday reiterated its strong indignation and firm opposition to a few foreign politicians' denigration of the decision of the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress (NPC) concerning Hong Kong.
- China, African countries need to build stronger community with shared future: Chinese FM Global Times 13 Nov 2020 -- China and African countries need to strengthen solidarity and build a stronger community with a shared future, Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi said Thursday.
- Internment Camps in Xinjiang's Aksu Separated by Crematorium Radio Free Asia 13 Nov 2020 -- Two internment camps recently identified by satellite imagery in northwest China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) appear to be separated by a cemetery and crematorium, raising fears that authorities are working to cover up deaths in the facilities.
- China's Chang'e-4 probe resumes work for 24th lunar day PLA Daily 13 Nov 2020 -- The lander of the Chang'e-4 probe woke up at 3:12 a.m. Tuesday, Beijing Time, and the rover Yutu-2, or Jade Rabbit-2,woke up at 10:17 a.m. Monday, according to the Beijing Aerospace Command and Control Center. Both the lander and rover of the Chang'e-4 probe were wakened up by the light and resumed work for the 24th lunar day on the far side of the moon. The Chang'e-4 probe has survived 677 Earth days on the moon.
- Taiwan thanks Pompeo for support, recognition of Taiwan's democracy CNA 13 Nov 2020 -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) on Friday expressed thanks to U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo for his supportive remarks regarding Taiwan and Taiwan's democracy, and reiterated the fact that the Republic of China (Taiwan) is a sovereign and independent country.
- Pompeo's last-ditch provocation on Taiwan question leaves Biden a mess to fix: experts Global Times 13 Nov 2020 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, at the last moment of his term, has once again provoked China by saying that "Taiwan has not been a part of China," which is against the US' official stance and the foundation for China and the US in establishing their formal diplomatic ties, but Chinese experts said such a trick is unlikely to affect the policymaking of the new administration.
- China warns US of 'resolute counterattack' over Pompeo's Taiwan remarks Press TV 13 Nov 2020 -- China has warned of "resolute counterattack" measures, if the United States undermines Beijing's core interests, amid a major escalation of tensions over Washington's recent arms sales to Taiwan.
- China Hits Out at Pompeo Over Comments on Taiwan Radio Free Asia 13 Nov 2020 -- China hit out on Friday at comments from U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who said the democratic island of Taiwan wasn't a part of China, vowing to strike back at any attempts to harm its interests, while Taipei welcomed the top American diplomat's support.
- Beijing Warns of Response After Pompeo Rejects Chinese Sovereignty Over Taiwan Sputnik 13 Nov 2020 -- The United States has moved closer to Taiwan in recent months. Top US officials have pledged to ramp up economic and military ties as well as heightened their rhetoric in support of the breakaway province.
- Hong Kong Crackdown Sparks 'Fundamental Change' in US Taiwan Policy: Trump Adviser Radio Free Asia 13 Nov 2020 -- The United States is reassessing its policy towards the democratic island of Taiwan in the wake of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP)'s crackdown on peaceful dissent in Hong Kong, according to Miles Yu, head of the team advising U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on China. Speaking to RFA as Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the island isn't a part of China, Yu explained why he thinks that Trump's policy will continue to garner broad support in Washington:
- Economic Successes Made in DPRK KCNA 13 Nov 2020 -- Industrial establishments in the DPRK are making collective innovation through the 80-day campaign to greet the 8th Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea with signal achievements.
- Iran: US maximum pressure will further isolate US IRNA 13 Nov 2020 -- Spokesman for Iranian Mission to the United Nations Alireza Miryousefi said on Friday that the US maximum pressure has failed and its continuation will further isolate the US itself.
- Russia does not rule out possibility of US rejoining Iran nuclear deal IRNA 13 Nov 2020 -- Russian Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said on Friday that Russia does not reject the possibility of US rejoining Iran nuclear deal, (JCPOA), after it pulled out from the accord two and a half years ago.
- Over $700 Million Injected into Iran's NIMA Forex Market Radio Farda 13 Nov 2020 -- The Central Bank of Iran, CBI, says about $711 million in foreign currency remittances have been paid into the NIMA system between November 5-12.
- EU Threatens Sanctions As Belarusian Reportedly Beaten To Death By Security Forces RFE/RL 13 Nov 2020 -- The European Union has again condemned Belarus's violent crackdown on protesters since a disputed August election and has threatened to impose more sanctions on the country following the death of a 31-year-old Belarusian citizen who was reportedly badly beaten by masked security forces.
- Lukashenka Vows Not To Hand Over Power, Slams Protesters RFE/RL 13 Nov 2020 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has vowed not to hand over power to anyone amid ongoing mass protests demanding his resignation.
- Myanmar's Ruling Party Secures Parliamentary Majority After General Vote, Election Comission Says Sputnik 13 Nov 2020 -- Myanmar's ruling National League for Democracy (NLD) party, led by State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi, has obtained 346 out of 412 seats declared parliamentary seats so far following the November 8 general elections and thus gained a majority to form a government, the country's Union Election Commission (UEC) said on Friday.
- Brexit Negotiations 'Held Hostage' by No.10 Infighting and Dominic Cummings, EU Officials Sputnik 13 Nov 2020 -- As the United Kingdom is set to leave the European Union's Single Market and Customs Union at the end of this year, top EU politicians have cited the presence of Boris Johnson's advisor Dominic Cummings as the leading cause of delayed trade negotiations.
- Cambodian Activists' Wives Are Rebuffed After Petitioning King For Help Radio Free Asia 13 Nov 2020 -- A group of wives of Cambodian political activists were turned away from the palace of Cambodia's King Sihamoni on Friday after trying to present a petition asking for him to help free their husbands from jail, sources in the country said.
- EU renews anti-Venezuela sanctions for a year Press TV 13 Nov 2020 -- The European Union has announced its renewal of sanctions against dozens of Venezuelan officials over propped up allegations linking them to rights abuses and undermining "democracy" in the Central American nation.
- Georgian Opposition Announces New Election Protests Despite Ongoing Talks RFE/RL 13 Nov 2020 -- Leaders of Georgian opposition parties have announced fresh rallies protesting the results of recent parliamentary elections, despite efforts by the United States and European Union to facilitate talks between opposition parties and the ruling Georgian Dream party.
- Kyrgyz Supreme Court Rules That Police Crackdown On Women's Rally Was Illegal RFE/RL 13 Nov 2020 -- The Supreme Court of Kyrgyzstan has ruled that a police crackdown on a feminist group in Bishkek earlier in March was illegal.
- Twisting The Truth? How Editors Manipulate News Coverage At Hungary's State Broadcaster RFE/RL 13 Nov 2020 -- Ahead of European Parliament elections in Hungary in 2019, editors sat down with reporters at the state MTVA broadcast group -- which includes television channels, the MTI news wire, and radio stations -- to discuss not only what to cover, but how.
- Deputy UN chief looks to 'new dawn for Mali', promotes participation of women in country's transition UN News 13 Nov 2020 -- The UN Deputy Secretary-General, Amina Mohammed on Friday has been strongly advocating for the greater participation of women and youth in Mali's ongoing transition towards a durable peace, and the response to the COVID-19 pandemic, as she continues her solidarity visit to West Africa and the Sahel.
- Peruvian President Merino Calls for Calm After 3 Days of Protest VOA 13 Nov 2020 -- Peruvian President Manuel Merino called Thursday for calm and unity following three days of protest against his new government, after the opposition-led Congress ousted popular ex-president Martin Vizcarra over unverified bribery allegations.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|