13 November 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- France Marks 5 Years Since November 2015 Paris Attacks VOA 13 Nov 2020 -- Five years after the deadly Paris attacks that killed more than 100 people in November 2015, the country paid tribute to the victims Friday. This anniversary is taking place amid a new terror threat as France has been targeted by radical Islamists in recent months.
- What Is the Fate of Trump's Border Wall? VOA 13 Nov 2020 -- Joe Biden, projected to become America's 46th president in January, has vowed to stop the construction of a border wall along the Mexico border, leaving questions about the future of the centerpiece of President Donald Trump's bid to curb unauthorized immigration at the southern border.
- ONDCP Releases Data on Coca Cultivation and Cocaine Production in Bolivia The White House 13 Nov 2020
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Weekly Update WHO 13 Nov 2020
- COVID-19: Consequences of 'chronic under-investment in public health' laid bare: Tedros UN News 13 Nov 2020 -- A global chronic under-investment in public health has been exposed by the coronavirus pandemic, which must now lead to a major re-think in how all societies value health, said the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) on Friday.
- Diabetes increasing COVID risks, showing need to strengthen health systems UN News 13 Nov 2020 -- As the number of people with diabetes surges, many are at "increased risk of severe disease and death from COVID-19", the UN chief said in his message for World Diabetes Day, on Saturday.
- This Week in Operation Warp Speed - Nov. 13, 2020 DoD 13 Nov 2020
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Announces New Record Number of COVID-19 Tests Reported to New York State in Single Day New York State 13 Nov 2020
- Remarks by President Trump During an Update on Operation Warp Speed The White House 13 Nov 2020
- Trump Hails Vaccine Progress in First Remarks Since Projected Election Defeat VOA 13 Nov 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump hailed progress toward an effective vaccine against the coronavirus on Friday, in his first public remarks in six days since the media projected former Vice President Joe Biden as winner of the November 3 election.
- US Sets Another Single-Day Record for COVID-19 Cases, Hospitalizations VOA 13 Nov 2020 -- The United States set another single-day record for the number of COVID-19 infections and hospitalizations Thursday.
- As US Hits Record Number of Cases, Fauci Says More Testing Can Help VOA 13 Nov 2020 -- The top U.S. infectious-disease expert, Dr. Anthony Fauci, says that more testing could help bring the current surge of COVID-19 cases in the United States under control.
- Coronavirus Pandemic Complicates US Holiday Plans VOA 13 Nov 2020 -- Dr. Anthony Fauci, the top infectious disease expert in the U.S., will not be getting together with his family for Thanksgiving.
- Report: Over 130 Secret Service Officers Test Positive for Coronavirus VOA 13 Nov 2020 -- More than 130 U.S. Secret Service officers have tested positive for the coronavirus or have been in close contact with infected colleagues, according to The Washington Post newspaper.
- Surge of COVID-19 cases could hinder US economic recovery: Fed chief Global Times 13 Nov 2020 -- US Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell on Thursday warned that a record surge in COVID-19 cases across the country could hinder the recent economic recovery.
- Trump campaign adviser Corey Lewandowski tests positive for COVID-19 People's Daily 13 Nov 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump's reelection campaign adviser Corey Lewandowski has tested positive for COVID-19, local media reported on Thursday.
- U.S. reports record daily increase of over 140,000 COVID-19 cases People's Daily 13 Nov 2020 -- The United States reported 143,408 new COVID-19 cases Wednesday, a record daily increase since the onset of the pandemic in the country, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said Thursday.
- Oregon to Enter 'Two-Week Freeze' to Curb COVID-19, Governor Says Sputnik 13 Nov 2020 -- The measure comes just a week after the Oregon government introduced a "two-week pause" on social activities in a number of counties, which, however, turned out to be ineffective in fighting the virus, the governor has acknowledged.
- Trump Delivers an Update on US COVID-19 Vaccine Programme Sputnik 13 Nov 2020 -- The speech comes after Pfizer announced that the vaccine they developed in cooperation with German company BioNTech has proven to be 90 percent effective in late-stage testing.
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 13 Nov 2020
- China's former finance minister receives COVID-19 vaccine twice Global Times 13 Nov 2020 -- China's former finance minister Lou Jiwei said on Friday that he has received the Chinese-developed COVID-19 vaccines twice, and there is 99 percent chance that he has the required antibodies.
- China faces increasing risks of imported COVID-19 cases: NHC Global Times 13 Nov 2020 -- As the novel coronavirus outbreak continues to rage globally, health experts in China predicted that the country is facing greater risk of local transmission caused by imported cases.
- China to help Brazilian delegation's vaccine inspection: FM Global Times 13 Nov 2020 -- China is willing to provide the necessary convenience for the Brazilian delegation sent to the country to inspect the research and development of COVID-19 vaccines, in accordance with relevant laws and international practices, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said Friday, as Brazil plans to send a delegation to China before potentially approving the vaccine for Brazilian use.
- China to heighten inspection of imported frozen food to prevent COVID-19 Global Times 13 Nov 2020 -- Chinese customs will further enhance inspection of cold-chain imported foods in a bid to prevent the risk of imported coronavirus infections as winter comes and the world sees a surge in confirmed cases, Chinese officials said.
- Wuhan finds COVID-19 on imported beef samples People's Daily 13 Nov 2020 -- Authorities in Wuhan, capital of central China's Hubei Province, found that three frozen beef samples tested positive for COVID-19, local health authorities said Friday.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 13 Nov 2020 -- The Chinese mainland on Thursday reported no new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said Friday.
- China spares no effort in developing COVID-19 vaccine People's Daily 13 Nov 2020 -- China attaches great importance to the safety and effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines and strictly observes international standards, as well as relevant laws and regulations, according to a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson at a daily press briefing on Thursday.
- EU increases contribution to COVAX People's Daily 13 Nov 2020 -- The European Union (EU) announced Thursday to grant 100 million euros (118 million U.S. dollars) to COVAX, a United Nations-backed global facility to ensure effective and equitable access to COVID-19 vaccines.
- Europe's Hospitals Near COVID-19 Capacity VOA 13 Nov 2020 -- Hospitals in several parts of Europe, from the Midlands of England to Ukraine, are warning their intensive care units are reaching full capacity as a second wave of coronavirus sweeps across the continent.
- Effectiveness of Russian Vaccines Against COVID-19 Exceeds 90%, Health Minister Says Sputnik 13 Nov 2020 -- Russian Health Minister Mikhail Murashko said on Friday that the effectiveness of Russian vaccines against COVID-19 is more than 90 percent, but not everyone has the same level of the immune response.
- Hungary to Receive 1st Samples of Russia's Sputnik V Vaccine Next Week, Russian Ministry Says Sputnik 13 Nov 2020 -- Hungary will receive the first samples of Russia's coronavirus vaccine Sputnik V already next week, Russia's Minister of Industry and Trade Denis Manturov told Hungarian Foreign Minister Peter Szijjarto.
- India's finance chief announces 120.6-mln-USD grant for COVID-19 vaccine development Global Times 13 Nov 2020 -- Indian Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs Nirmala Sitharaman Thursday announced a grant of over 120.6 million US dollars for the research and development of COVID-19 vaccine.
- India's Active Caseload drops below 4.85 Lakhs India PIB 13 Nov 2020 -- India's active cases today stand at 4,84,547, much below the 5-lakh mark. This is the third day of the active cases being sustained below the 5-L mark. Their share in the total Positive Cases stands at only 5.55%.
- Health official: Five Iranian vaccines among WHO COVID-19 candidates IRNA 13 Nov 2020 -- Food and Drug Organization spokesman Kianoush Jahanpour said in a message that some five Iranian vaccines are put on the list of WHO COVID19 candidates.
- Official: COVID-19 kills 461 more in Iran IRNA 13 Nov 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Friday that some 461 more Iranians have died from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 40,582.
- 8 Iranian COVID-19 vaccines among 48 on WHO's list of promising candidates Press TV 13 Nov 2020 -- Iran says eight of the vaccines it is formulating locally against COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus, have made their way onto the World Health Organization (WHO)'s list of 48 promising candidate vaccines.
- South Korea Sees Biggest Daily Jump in COVID-19 Cases in 70 Days VOA 13 Nov 2020 -- South Korea has reported its biggest daily jump in COVID-19 cases in 70 days as the government says it will fine people who fail to wear masks in public.
- S.Korea to fine people not wearing mask in public places People's Daily 13 Nov 2020 -- South Korea on Friday launched a COVID-19 quarantine rule to fine up to 100,000 won (about 90 U.S. dollars) to people who do not wear a mask in public places.
- South Korean Pharma Company to Produce 150Mln Doses of Russian COVID-19 Vaccine, RDIF Says Sputnik 13 Nov 2020 -- The Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) said on Friday it had signed an agreement with South Korean bio-tech company GL Rapha to produce over 150 million doses of the Sputnik V vaccine in South Korea annually.
- Japan's new COVID-19 cases hit record high amid nationwide virus resurgence Global Times 13 Nov 2020 -- Japan on Thursday confirmed a record 1,643 daily new COVID-19 infections owing to a resurgence of cases nationwide as the temperature continues to drop and more people stay indoors.
- Japan Logs Record Daily Virus Cases of Over 1,600 Amid Resurgence SPA 13 Nov 2020 -- Japan confirmed more than 1,600 new coronavirus cases, a record daily high since the outbreak of the virus early this year, amid signs of a resurgence in infections nationwide as the winter season approaches, Kyodo reported.
- Health Ministry: 441 New Confirmed COVID-19 Cases, 454 New Recoveries Reported, in Saudi Arabia SPA 13 Nov 2020 -- The Ministry of Health announced in a statement here today that 441 new confirmed cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 352,601, including 7,408 active cases undergoing treatment.
- Eight new imported COVID-19 cases recorded in Taiwan CNA 13 Nov 2020 -- Taiwan recorded eight new imported cases of COVID-19 on Friday, bringing the total number in the country to 597 since the outbreak began at the end of last year, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said.
- ASEAN approves COVID-19 response measures People's Daily 13 Nov 2020 -- Leaders of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) member states Thursday approved a number of documents and measures in response to the COVID-19 epidemic on the first day of the ongoing 37th ASEAN Summit, Vietnam News Agency reported.
- Africa's confirmed COVID-19 cases surpass 1.91 mln: Africa CDC People's Daily 13 Nov 2020 -- The number of confirmed cases in the African continent has reached 1,917,960, the Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) said on Thursday.
- Hungarian Minister Who Tested Positive For COVID-19 Told Not to Wear Mask by Cambodian Officials Radio Free Asia 13 Nov 2020 -- A Hungarian cabinet member who tested positive for COVID-19 after traveling to Cambodia, setting off a quarantine of hundreds of Cambodian officials, was asked by the Phnom Penh government not to wear a mask while taking part in a signing ceremony last week, a member of his staff said Friday.
- Measles Cases Spike In Georgia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan As COVID-19 Impacts Vaccination Worldwide RFE/RL 13 Nov 2020 -- Measles cases worldwide surged to the highest number in nearly a quarter of a century in 2019 due to a drop in vaccinations that is expected to worsen this year because of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to the World Health Organization (WHO) and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Cruise Ship Forced to Dock After 5 Passengers Test Positive for Coronavirus in Caribbean VOA 13 Nov 2020 -- The first cruise ship to resume sailing in the Caribbean since the coronavirus outbreak expanded in March, is idled again after five passengers tested positive for the coronavirus.
- Peru Set to Host Phase 3 of COVID-19 Vaccine Clinical Trials VOA 13 Nov 2020 -- Peru is set to host Phase 3 clinical trials of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Cos. COVID-19 vaccine by U.S.-based pharmaceutical company Johnson & Johnson.
- Bangladesh: Sinovac Intends to Pull Out of COVID-19 Vaccine Trials, Minister Says Radio Free Asia 13 Nov 2020 -- Chinese biotech company Sinovac wants to withdraw from a planned third-phase trial of its coronavirus vaccine in Bangladesh after Dhaka rejected the firm's request to co-fund the trial, Health Minister Zahid Maleque told BenarNews on Friday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|