31 October 2020 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Statement From the President On Last Night's Hostage Rescue The White House 31 Oct 2020
- Statement by Jonathan Hoffman, Chief Pentagon Spokesman, on Hostage Rescue Operation in Northern Nigeria DoD 31 Oct 2020
- U.S. Rescues American Held Hostage in Nigeria US Dept. of State 31 Oct 2020 -- "The United States is committed to the safe return of all U.S. citizens taken captive. We delivered on that commitment late last night in Nigeria, where some of our bravest and most skilled warriors rescued a U.S. citizen after a group of armed men took him hostage across the border in Niger."
Defense Policy / Programs
- Russia Proposes US to Consider Putin's Arms Control Initiative Sputnik 31 Oct 2020 -- Moscow is offering the United States to consider an arms control initiative proposed by President Vladimir Putin, the Russian Embassy in Washington has said.
- China's centennial goal of building a modern military by 2027 in alignment with national strength: experts Global Times 31 Oct 2020 -- By year 2027, which marks the centennial of the founding of the People's Liberation Army (PLA), China will build a fully modern military, a goal that is in alignment with the national strength and will fulfill the future national defense need, Chinese analysts said Saturday, after the Communiqué of the fifth plenary session of the 19th Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC) set the development goal of the PLA in following years.
- Iran manufactures all defensive equipment by domestic experts: Senior Army officer IRNA 31 Oct 2020 -- All the air, land or marine equipment of the Iranian armed forces are being manufactured by domestic experts, according to a senior Army official.
- Vietnam Gets Boost from Western Allies in its Defense against China VOA 31 Oct 2020 -- Vietnam's leadership this year of a Southeast Asian negotiating bloc has opened a door to bolster its defense against longtime rival China through stronger relations with the West, experts say.
- Pompeo Ends Asian Tour, Looks to 'Elevate' US Security Ties with Vietnam Radio Free Asia 31 Oct 2020 -- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo declared Friday that the U.S. and Vietnam were "elevating" their security partnership as he completed a tour of nations in South and Southeast Asia that was characterized by his strong rhetoric against China.
- Remarks by President Trump Before Air Force One Departure | Joint Base Andrews, MD The White House 31 Oct 2020
- Nagorno-Karabakh: UK to provide food and medicine to people affected by the conflict UK FCDO 31 Oct 2020 -- UK announces £1million funding to provide relief to those affected by Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
- Guterres urges continued dialogue between Armenia and Azerbaijan UN News 31 Oct 2020 -- The UN chief remains "deeply concerned" over reports that hostilities in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict zone are continuing to affect civilians, his spokesperson said on Saturday.
- Iran after peace in Nagorno-Karabakh, a region in South Caucasus IRNA 31 Oct 2020 -- During the past three decades, Iran has acted as a good neighbor to Armenia and Azerbaijan which have entered into war more than a month ago over Nagorno-Karabakh.
- Regional realism; main feature of Iran's Karabakh initiative, Aragchi says IRNA 31 Oct 2020 -- Iran's Special Envoy to Azerbaijan Republic Abbas Araghchi said on Friday that the most significant characteristics of Iran's initiative to resolve Karabakh conflict peacefully is adoption of realistic approach towards the region.
- Iran deputy FM in Turkey to promote Karabakh peace proposal Press TV 31 Oct 2020 -- Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs Abbas Araqchi has travelled to Turkey on the last leg of his four-nation tour aimed at promoting Tehran's initiative for the peaceful resolution of the conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region.
- Iran, Turkey had undeniable role in peace, stability of region: Araghchi ISNA 31 Oct 2020 -- Iranian deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs, Seyyed Abbas Araghchi in a message pointed to key role of Iran and Turkey in peace and stability of the region.
- Russia ready to provide Armenia with 'all necessary help' as Karabakh 4th truce falls apart Press TV 31 Oct 2020 -- Russia says it will provide Armenia with "all necessary assistance," as a fourth ceasefire attempt falls apart, with the two sides accusing one another of bombing residential areas in and around the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region.
- Armenia, Azerbaijan Accuse Each Other Of New Shelling As Russia Vows Assistance To Yerevan RFE/RL 31 Oct 2020 -- Armenia and Azerbaijan have accused each other of shelling residential areas, just a day after the sides agreed to avoid targeting civilian populations in and around the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh.
- Security Remains High in France After Deadly Knife Attack at Church in Nice VOA 31 Oct 2020 -- Security throughout France was high Saturday after this week's deadly stabbings at a church in Nice as President Emmanuel Macron tried to ease tensions in the country.
- Why Depicting Prophet Muhammad Is Controversial in Islam? VOA 31 Oct 2020 -- The recent decapitation of a French schoolteacher in a Parisian suburb over showing caricatures of Prophet Muhammad to his class is the latest in a series of violent attacks in recent years over depictions of Islam's holiest figure.
- 'Trump's Done Nothing Good For Us': As Americans Go To The Polls, Most Russians Shrug RFE/RL 31 Oct 2020 -- When Donald Trump was elected U.S. president in 2016, Russian lawmaker Vladimir Zhirinovsky hosted a champagne party in the country's parliament to celebrate the real estate magnate's surprise victory.
- China urges 'self-reliance' in five-year plan to counter US efforts to harm economy Press TV 31 Oct 2020 -- Chinese leaders have called for "self-reliance" to counter the US' efforts to hamper the world's second largest economy, as officials in the ruling party issued a blueprint for manufacturing strategies in the next five years.
- President reiterates willingness to engage with Beijing on equal terms CNA 31 Oct 2020 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (???) said during a meeting of senior national security officials on Saturday that she remains willing to engage in "substantive dialogue" with the Chinese leadership on equal terms, but cautioned that cross-Taiwan Strait peace will not be achieved by showing weakness or making concessions.
- Bipartisan U.S. support 'top objective' for Taiwan: Presidential Office CNA 31 Oct 2020 -- The Presidential Office said Saturday that maintaining U.S. support is its top objective in Taiwan-U.S. relations, days before Americans head to the polls Tuesday to select a new president.
- Kumyagang Power Station No. 2 Completed KCNA 31 Oct 2020 -- Kumyagang Power Station No. 2 was completed and went into operation amid the high flame of the 80-day campaign of loyalty.
- New agreement between Iran, Russia on Sirik power plant ISNA 31 Oct 2020 -- Director of power plant projects in Iran announced on Saturday that Iran and Russia have renewed agreement on construction of Sirik power plant in southern Iranian province of Hormuzgan.
- Tehran Accuses Washington of Piracy Radio Farda 31 Oct 2020 -- On Friday, the spokesman for the Iranian Foreign Ministry accused Washington of acting like "Pirates of the Caribbean" following the U.S. government's seizure of Iranian gasoline for Venezuela.
- The Islamic Republic's Incorrigible, Says Former Revolutionary Radio Farda 31 Oct 2020 -- A prominent Islamic Revolutionary turned dissident, Abolfazl Qadyani, says Iran's political establishment is an "authoritarian regime" that has blocked all roads towards reforming the country.
- Hundreds Of Women March Against Lukashenka Despite Threats RFE/RL 31 Oct 2020 -- Hundreds of women have marched through the streets of the Belarusian capital as protesters kept up their demand for the ouster of authoritarian ruler Alyaksandr Lukashenka.
- Over 30 People Detained Across Belarus at Saturday Opposition Rallies - Reports Sputnik 31 Oct 2020 -- More than 30 people have been detained during Saturday opposition protests held across Belarus, the non-governmental human rights centre Viasna reports.
- Hundreds Of Kazakh Activists Attend Rare Rally In Almaty RFE/RL 31 Oct 2020 -- Hundreds of rights activists have held a rally in Kazakhstan's largest city, Almaty, demanding political reforms and an end to politically motivated persecutions.
- Caucasus Country of Georgia Holds Parliamentary Elections VOA 31 Oct 2020 -- Georgia is voting Saturday to elect a new parliament and prime minister, with opposition groups aiming to oust the party in power.
- West-backed opposition parties in Georgia unite to oust ruling part in polls Press TV 31 Oct 2020 -- People of Georgia have gone to polls in closely challenged legislative elections that have united a diverse mix of opposition groups against the ruling party that is led by the Central Asian country's richest individual.
- Georgian Dream Leads Exit Polls After Parliamentary Elections RFE/RL 31 Oct 2020 -- The ruling Georgian Dream party has celebrated the results of four exit polls, all showing it finishing first in parliamentary elections on October 31 that were a test of electoral reforms intended to broaden the range of representation in the legislature.
- Saakashvili Withdraws Candidacy for Post of Georgian Prime Minister Sputnik 31 Oct 2020 -- Former Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili, who recently announced his plans to return home and serve his country, said on Saturday that he was not seeking to hold the post of Georgian prime minister.
- EU Executive Takes Action Against Hungary Over New Asylum Procedures RFE/RL 31 Oct 2020 -- The European Commission has opened an infringement procedure against Hungary for violating EU asylum laws.
- Moldova Presidential Election Offers Little Hope Of Overcoming Old Divisions RFE/RL 31 Oct 2020 -- Shortly before Moldova's November 1 presidential election, a group of nongovernmental organizations announced plans to conduct a telephone exit poll on election day.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|