27 September 2020 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Under Secretary of the Navy meets with NATO Allies US Navy 27 Sep 2020 -- The Honorable Gregory J. Slavonic made his first international trip Sep. 23-26 while serving as the acting Under Secretary of the Navy.
- USS Winston S. Churchill Completes Joint Exercise in 5th Fleet US Navy 27 Sep 2020 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Winston S. Churchill (DDG 81) executed a series of joint air and maritime operations in the Central Arabian Gulf in support of Commander, Task Force 55 and US Naval Central Command, Sept. 23- 24, 2020.
- U.S. Navy Conducts Joint Operations with Royal Air Force in Black Sea US Navy 27 Sep 2020 -- The Arleigh Burke-class, guided-missile destroyer USS Roosevelt (DDG 80), conducted joint operations with the Royal Air Force (RAF) in the Black Sea, 25 Sept. 2020.
- Kavkaz-2020 strategic exercise wraps up PLA Daily 27 Sep 2020 -- The closing ceremony of "Kavkaz-2020" strategic exercise was held at the Kapustin Yar Range at 10 a.m. on September 26, local time.
- Chinese naval escort taskforces conduct mission handover in Gulf of Aden PLA Daily 27 Sep 2020 -- The 35th and 36th Chinese naval escort taskforces held a mission-handover ceremony in the Gulf of Aden on September 23rd local time.
- Taiwan fishing boat collides with Japanese ship near Diaoyutais CNA 27 Sep 2020 -- A Taiwanese fishing boat collided with a Japanese government vessel in waters 12 nautical miles west of the disputed Diaoyutai Islands, with no reports of injuries, Taiwan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said in a statement.
- China's Empty Promises in the South China Sea US Dept. of State 27 Sep 2020 -- Five years ago on September 25, 2015, General Secretary Xi Jinping stood in the White House Rose Garden and stated "China does not intend to pursue militarization" of the Spratly Islands, and China's outposts would not "target or impact any country."
- Yemen's warring parties agree to free more than 1,000 prisoners UN News 27 Sep 2020 -- At the end of a week-long meeting in Switzerland, the parties to the conflict in Yemen reached what the UN envoy there called "a very important milestone", in agreeing to release a first group of detainees.
- Joint Forces Command of the Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen: Interception, Destruction of Bomb-Laden UAV Launched by Terrorist, Iran-Backed Houthi Militia Toward the Kingdom SPA 27 Sep 2020 -- Statement by the Official Spokesman of the Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen COL Turki Al-Malki:
- Zarif: Iran closely monitoring alarming violence in Nagorno-Karabakh IRNA 27 Sep 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif in a Twitter message said Iran is closely monitoring the alarming violence in Nagorno-Karabakh, adding that "our region needs peace".
- Deadly Clashes In Nagorno-Karabakh Prompt Urgent Calls For Cease-Fire RFE/RL 27 Sep 2020 -- Armenia and Azerbaijan reported heavy destruction and casualties on September 27 after clashes in the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh that touched off a flurry of diplomacy aimed at calming the tensions.
- Armenia, Azerbaijan Declare Martial Law After Clashes In Disputed Nagorno-Karabakh RFE/RL 27 Sep 2020 -- Armenia and Azerbaijan declared martial law on September 27 after both sides reported heavy destruction and casualties in clashes in the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh.
- EU Top Diplomat Calls for Swift De-Escalation of Nagorno-Karabakh Hostilities Sputnik 27 Sep 2020 -- The European Union's top diplomat, Josep Borrell, called on the belligerents of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict to immediately halt hostilities and return to negotiations.
- Armenia Declares Martial Law, Full Mobilization Amid Nagorno-Karabakh Escalation Sputnik 27 Sep 2020 -- The Armenian cabinet has declared martial law and a full mobilization of citizens as a result of the escalating tensions in the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh, the Armenian prime minister Nikol Pashinyan said on Sunday.
- Russian Foreign Ministry Calls For Immediate Ceasefire, Negotiations in Nagorno-Karabakh Sputnik 27 Sep 2020 -- The Russian Foreign Ministry on Sunday has called on all parties in the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh to hold fire immediately and begin negotiations amid the latest flare-up of tensions.
- Azerbaijani Defence Ministry Reports Shelling by Armenia in Nagorno-Karabakh Region Sputnik 27 Sep 2020 -- Armenia's armed forces have opened fire at settlements along the line of military confrontation in the Nagorno-Karabakh region, there are casualties among the civilian population, a spokesperson of Azerbaijan's Defence Ministry said.
- Fresh Armenia-Azerbaijan clashes over Nagorno-Karabakh, as UN chief urges an end to fighting UN News 27 Sep 2020 -- The UN chief is "extremely concerned" over renewed hostilities between Armenia and Azerbaijan in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict zone that erupted on Sunday.
- HK officials shrug off US' unilateral sanction Global Times 27 Sep 2020 -- Regarding the US' newly published details on sanctions on Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) officials, some of the sanctioned officials responded that they have never taken the "futile" sanctions seriously.
- China sends two environmental monitoring satellites into space People's Daily 27 Sep 2020 -- China has successfully launched two environmental monitoring satellites from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in northern Shanxi Province on Sunday.
- Taiwan is China's next 'target' after Hong Kong: foreign minister CNA 27 Sep 2020 -- Foreign Minister Joseph Wu (吳釗燮) will warn in a briefing at the Legislative Yuan on Monday that China's next "target" after Hong Kong is Taiwan as Beijing looks for scapegoats in facing internal and external crises.
- PLA conducts recon on both sides of Taiwan to gather intel for real combat: experts Global Times 27 Sep 2020 -- During its real combat-oriented exercises and combat-readiness patrols in the Taiwan Straits since last week, the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) has conducted intensive aerial and maritime reconnaissance missions of the island of Taiwan from both its west and east, with the number of operations surpassing that of fighter jets and bombers.
- DPRK warns S.Korea against any possible intrusions into its territory Global Times 27 Sep 2020 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Sunday warned South Korea against entering the DPRK's territorial waters when searching for the missing body of a South Korean civilian.
- China's Imports from Iran the Lowest in a Decade Radio Farda 27 Sep 2020 -- China's imports from Iran have dropped to the lowest record in the past decade, with Chinese customs data showing the number falling below $322 million in August.
- Dollar On The Verge of Record High in Iran Radio Farda 27 Sep 2020 -- Once again, the dollar's value has gained momentum against the Iranian national currency, the rial.
- U.S. State Department: Iranian Nuclear Program Continues to Pose Threat to International Peace SPA 27 Sep 2020 -- The U.S. Department of State confirmed that the Iranian nuclear program continues to pose a threat to international peace, in light of the Iranian regime's ongoing failure to comply with the conditions of the International Atomic Energy Agency and its repeated attempts to conceal its endeavors to obtain a nuclear weapon.
- Hundreds Detained In 50th Day Of Protests In Belarus RFE/RL 27 Sep 2020 -- Belarusian police have made hundreds of arrests and fired tear gas and stun grenades during nationwide protests as a groundswell of opposition to Alyaksandr Lukashenka continued for the 50th consecutive day.
- At UN, Belarus Accuses West Of Sowing 'Chaos And Anarchy' RFE/RL 27 Sep 2020 -- Belarusian Foreign Minister Uladzimer Makey has accused Western states of interfering in the country's internal affairs to foment "chaos and anarchy" amid weeks of protests following last month's disputed presidential election.
- Nearly 200 Detained Across Belarus at Sunday Opposition Rallies, Interior Ministry Says Sputnik 27 Sep 2020 -- The number of people detained at protests across Belarus this Sunday has approached 200 in total, Interior Ministry spokeswoman Olga Chemodanova said.
- Iraq to End Its Electricity Dependency on Iran Radio Farda 27 Sep 2020 -- Days after the United States extended a sanctions waiver that enables Iraq to continue importing gas and electricity from Iran, Iraq announced that three thousand megawatts would soon be added to the country's power grid.
- Romania's Ruling Liberal Party Claims 'Clear Victory' In Local Elections RFE/RL 27 Sep 2020 -- Romania's ruling centrist National Liberal Party (PNL) was on pace for gains in local elections, exit polls showed on September 27, in a vote seen as a key test for the country's minority-led government.
- Jordan's King Abdullah II Dissolves Parliament Sputnik 27 Sep 2020 -- Jordan is a Middle Eastern constitutional monarchy located between Saudi Arabia and Israel. In November, it is expected to hold parliamentary elections.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|