26 September 2020 Military News
- U.S. Envoy For Afghanistan Says Taliban Won't Accept Permanent Cease-Fire Until Political Agreement RFE/RL 26 Sep 2020 -- Zalmay Khalilzad, the U.S. envoy for Afghanistan, has predicted the Taliban will not accept a permanent truce until a political deal is reached with the Afghan government.
Defense Policy / Programs
- AFRICOM & SOCAF leaders visit East & West partner nations AFRICOM 26 Sep 2020 -- U.S. Africa Command's deputy to the commander for Civil-Military Engagement, Ambassador Andrew Young, and U.S. Special Operations commander, U.S. Air Force Maj. Gen. Dagvin Anderson, engaged in a weeklong trip to key partner nations in East and West Africa, Sept. 14-21.
- 297th RSG supports WOJTEK Fire Exercise in Poland Army News 26 Sep 2020 -- Soldiers from the 297th Regional Support Group provided basic Soldier needs and services to units on BPTA leading up to and during NATO Battle Group Poland's Live fire exercise WOJTEK FIRE, Sep. 15-17.
- U.S. Forces Conduct Joint Aviation Integration Exercise in Arabian Gulf CENTCOM 26 Sep 2020 -- U.S. Naval Forces Central Command (NAVCENT) and U.S. Air Forces Central (AFCENT) conducted a robust joint air operations in support of maritime surface warfare (AOMSW) exercise in the Arabian Gulf Sept. 23-24.
- B-1B Integrated Battle Station modification completed US Air Force 26 Sep 2020 -- An eight-year project to install the Integrated Battle Station, or IBS, on the B-1B Lancer fleet has been completed ahead of schedule. Sixty aircraft went through the modification process that began in late 2012 and was completed this month.
- U.S. Forces Conduct Joint Aviation Integration Exercise in Arabian Gulf US Navy 26 Sep 2020 -- U.S. Naval Forces Central Command (NAVCENT) and U.S. Air Forces Central (AFCENT) conducted a robust joint air operations in support of maritime surface warfare (AOMSW) exercise in the Arabian Gulf Sept. 23-24.
- USS Ronald Reagan Strike Group, America Expeditionary Strike Group Conduct Integrated Operations in U.S. 7th Fleet US Navy 26 Sep 2020 -- The Ronald Reagan Carrier Strike Group and the America Expeditionary Strike Group joined forces to conduct Expeditionary Strike Force operations in support of a free and open Indo-Pacific, Sept. 25.
- UN reform is 'the need of the hour': India premier UN News 26 Sep 2020 -- The Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi, declared that United Nations reform is "the need of the hour", as he addressed world leaders in a video address to the General Debate of the General Assembly, on Saturday.
- Tsai visits Kaohsiung military bases to show support for troops CNA 26 Sep 2020 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) toured several military bases in Kaohsiung on Saturday to thank the men and women in uniform for their contributions to safeguarding the country and helping protect freedom and democracy.
- Ukrainian President Zelenskiy Declares Day Of Mourning After Military Plane Crash RFE/RL 26 Sep 2020 -- Searchers combing the area where a Ukrainian military aircraft crashed found two more bodies on September 26, bringing the death toll to 26. One person survived.
- Military Plane Crash In Ukraine Kills 26 RFE/RL 26 Sep 2020 -- Twenty six people including air force cadets were killed when a military transport plane crashed in eastern Ukraine on the evening of September 25, the military said.
- Remarks by President Trump Before Marine One Departure The White House 26 Sep 2020
- India's border fire may lead to 'unbearable consequence' Global Times 26 Sep 2020 -- Chinese observers warned on Saturday that India's latest tricks of doubling troops at the border and authorizing frontline soldiers to fire in clashes with the Chinese army, all while agreeing to de-escalate tensions at the negotiating table with China, could further increase the risk of conflict at the border and lead to dangerous consequences for itself.
- Bangladesh urges greater international action on Rohingya status UN News 26 Sep 2020 -- The Prime Minister of Bangladesh has called for stronger international action to help Rohingya refugees in the country to return to neighbouring Myanmar.
- Suspect in Paris Attack Angered by Charlie Hebdo's Republication of Cartoons, Reports Say Sputnik 26 Sep 2020 -- The main suspect in Friday's knife attack that took place near the former headquarters of the controversial French magazine Charlie Hebdo was enraged by the publication's reprint of controversial cartoons depicting Islam's prophet Muhammad, the French newspaper Le Parisien reports, citing sources familiar with the matter.
- People In Khabarovsk Protest For 78th Straight Day For Arrested Governor RFE/RL 26 Sep 2020 -- People in the Far Eastern Russian city of Khabarovsk have taken to the streets for the 78th consecutive day to protest the arrest in July of the region's popular former governor.
- China unveils guideline to promote media convergence People's Daily 26 Sep 2020 -- The general offices of the Communist Party of China Central Committee and the State Council have recently released a guideline to further beef up the country's media convergence.
- Hong Kong plans to require new civil servants to pledge to uphold Basic Law, swear allegiance to HKSAR Global Times 26 Sep 2020 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government will require new civil servants employed from July 1 to pledge to uphold the Basic Law and swear allegiance to the HKSAR, an official said on Friday.
- Hong Kong plans to require new civil servants to pledge to uphold Basic Law, swear allegiance to HKSAR People's Daily 26 Sep 2020 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government will require new civil servants employed from July 1 to pledge to uphold the Basic Law and swear allegiance to the HKSAR, an official said on Friday.
- Xi calls for law-based governance, unity via long-term efforts at Xinjiang meeting Global Times 26 Sep 2020 -- Six years after the last central work conference on Xinjiang, and with the security situation fundamentally changed, the Chinese central government held a third central work conference on Xinjiang on Friday and Saturday in Beijing, stressing building Xinjiang featuring socialism with Chinese characteristics in the new era.
- Tibet official expelled from CPC for corruption, divulging state secrets and possessing ammunition Global Times 26 Sep 2020 -- The discipline inspection commission of the Tibet Autonomous Region announced on Friday evening that a senior official was expelled from the Communist Party of China (CPC) and removed from his position for corruption, divulging state secrets and illegally possessing ammunition.
- Tuvalu, Eswatini call for Taiwan's readmission to U.N. CNA 26 Sep 2020 -- Leaders of Taiwan's diplomatic allies continued to voice support for Taiwan's international participation on the fourth day of an annual U.N. debate, citing Taiwan's humanitarian assistance in the global COVID-19 response.
- Chinese spy ship leaves waters near Taiwan after 9-day stay CNA 26 Sep 2020 -- A Chinese spy ship, which had remained in waters off Taiwan's east coast for more than a week, sailed away from the area Saturday morning after Taiwan's Navy sent a ship to monitor its activity.
- PLA's J-20 stealth fighter deployment near Taiwan stokes fear, delivers warning to separatists Global Times 26 Sep 2020 -- A J-20 stealth fighter jet of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) was reportedly spotted soaring through the skies above an East China city only 500 kilometers away from the island of Taiwan, sparking fear on the island and delivering a powerful warning to Taiwan separatists and the US, as the island's media reported on Saturday that Taiwan warplanes were only minutes away from the J-20's kill range if it flew toward the island.
- Chinese Taipei's participation in APEC meeting must comply with relevant MOU, customary practice: spokesperson People's Daily 26 Sep 2020 -- Chinese Taipei must comply with relevant Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) memorandum of understanding and customary practice if it is to send a delegation to the upcoming APEC Economic Leaders' Meeting no matter what form the meeting may take, a Foreign Ministry spokesperson said Friday.
- Zarif Sets Conditions For U.S. Return To Nuclear Deal In Sputnik Interview Radio Farda 26 Sep 2020 -- The Iranian foreign minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif, has set "conditions" for the United States to return to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) 2015 nuclear deal with world powers.
- U.N. Human Rights Council Condemns Situation In Iran Radio Farda 26 Sep 2020 -- The 47 countries present at this week's United Nations Human Rights Council meeting condemned the sudden execution of the young Iranian wrestler, Navid Afkari, also demanding the release of Nasrin Sotoudeh and Narges Mohammadi and an end to the repeated violations of human rights in Iran.
- Iranian President Accuses U.S. Of 'Savagery' After Latest Sanctions RFE/RL 26 Sep 2020 -- Iranian President Hassan Rohani told Iranians in a televised speech on September 26 to direct their anger over the impact of sanctions at Washington.
- This Week in Iran Policy US Dept. of State 26 Sep 2020
- More Than 100 Detained In Minsk Women's March Against Lukashenka RFE/RL 26 Sep 2020 -- Security forces in Minsk detained more than 100 protesters on September 26 during a women's march against Alyaksandr Lukashenka, who claimed victory in the country's presidential election more than a month ago amid reports of widespread fraud.
- 'You Have No Masks': Belarus Protesters Use High-Tech Tools To Expose Riot Police RFE/RL 26 Sep 2020 -- The video shows two baton-wielding police officers and a protester cowering on the ground as bystanders loudly demand his release.
- Belarusian Minster denounces Western attempts to sow 'chaos', says threats against his country must end UN News 26 Sep 2020 -- Political and economic threats against Belarus "must end" the Foreign Minister Vladimir Makei told the high-level segment of the UN General Assembly on Saturday, accusing Western nations of trying to sow "chaos and anarchy" in the country.
- Kazakh Authorities Block Protests Called By Exiled Opposition Leader RFE/RL 26 Sep 2020 -- Authorities in Kazakhstan have attempted to block protest rallies called on September 25 by the exiled opposition leader Mukhtar Ablyazov.
- Prime Minister's speech to United Nations General Assembly: 26 September 2020 UK FCDO 26 Sep 2020 -- At UNGA 2020 Boris Johnson outlined a new global approach to health security based on a 5-point plan to protect humanity against another pandemic like COVID-19.
- Repair ugly rifts and unite against common foe, COVID-19, 'or everyone will lose', warns UK's Johnson UN News 26 Sep 2020 -- COVID-19 has "united humanity as never before", the United Kingdom Prime Minister told the UN General Assembly's annual high-level session on Saturday.
- Russia, Kazakhstan to Begin Reconstruction of Zenit Launch Pad in Baikonur, Roscosmos Says Sputnik 26 Sep 2020 -- Russia and Kazakhstan will begin the reconstruction of the launch complex of the Zenit carrier rocket at Baikonur for the new Russian Soyuz-5 vehicle in mid-October, Roscosmos reported.
- Armenia Detains Main Opposition Leader In Vote-Buying Case RFE/RL 26 Sep 2020 -- An Armenian court late on September 25 put the leader of the country's main opposition party in two months of pretrial detention as part of a vote-buying case he calls politically motivated.
- Brawls And All, Kyrgyz Parliamentary Campaigning Enters The Home Stretch RFE/RL 26 Sep 2020 -- There's barely a week until Kyrgyzstan conducts parliamentary elections, and although campaigning only officially started on September 4, there has been plenty of intrigue and scandal, in addition to some encouraging developments.
- Sudan ready to return to international role but first needs support, Prime Minister says UN News 26 Sep 2020 -- Sudan is eager to again contribute to the international community but will need assistance as it works to revitalize its tattered economy, Prime Minister Abdalla Adam Hamdok told the UN General Assembly on Saturday.
- 'We must open our eyes to the weaknesses this pandemic has laid bare', Belgium leader tells UN General Assembly UN News 26 Sep 2020 -- As the world continues to confront the COVID-19 pandemic and its aftershocks, we cannot 'turn our back' to other pressing global concerns, Belgian Prime Minister Sophie Wilmès told the UN General Assembly on Saturday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|