26 September 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- Suspect in Paris Attack Angered by Charlie Hebdo's Republication of Cartoons, Reports Say Sputnik 26 Sep 2020 -- The main suspect in Friday's knife attack that took place near the former headquarters of the controversial French magazine Charlie Hebdo was enraged by the publication's reprint of controversial cartoons depicting Islam's prophet Muhammad, the French newspaper Le Parisien reports, citing sources familiar with the matter.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- WHO chief calls for meeting 35-bln-USD financial gap on COVID-19 response People's Daily 26 Sep 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) on Friday urged the international community to help meet a financial gap of 35 billion U.S. dollars for the "Access to COVID-19 Tools Accelerator" (ACT-Accelerator), a WHO-led global collaboration for the development of COVID-19 diagnostics, therapeutics and vaccines.
- CDC: Young Adults Account for More COVID-19 Cases Than Any Other US Age Group Sputnik 26 Sep 2020 -- Young adults aged 20 to 29 accounted for around 20% of all confirmed COVID-19 novel coronavirus cases recorded in the US between June and August, according to a new study from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- U.S. COVID-19 cases surpass 7 mln -- Johns Hopkins University People's Daily 26 Sep 2020 -- The total number of COVID-19 cases in the United States surpassed 7 million on Friday, according to the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 26 Sep 2020
- China's earliest vaccine volunteers conclude 6-month observation, set for second dose Global Times 26 Sep 2020 -- The six-month follow-up medical observation for China's first batch of COVID-19 vaccine volunteers ends on the weekend, as the volunteers complete the final blood sample collection to see antibody levels.
- Virus found on 2 Russian ships' imports Global Times 26 Sep 2020 -- China Customs announced the suspension of imports from two Russian ships for four weeks, after East China's Shandong Province announced that the novel coronavirus was found on the outer packaging and samples of aquatic products.
- 12,492 people tested for COVID-19 after new asymptomatic cases emerge in east China People's Daily 26 Sep 2020 -- A total of 12,492 people working at the Qingdao Port had been tested for nucleic acid as of Friday after two stevedores were reported as asymptomatic COVID-19 cases on Thursday.
- Two port workers test positive for COVID-19 in east China People's Daily 26 Sep 2020 -- Two stevedores in east China's port city of Qingdao were reported as asymptomatic COVID-19 cases on Thursday, said the municipal health commission on Friday.
- China increases nucleic acid testing capacity People's Daily 26 Sep 2020 -- China's nucleic acid testing capacity has hugely improved, which is the key to the epidemic response in the coming autumn-winter season, a health official said Friday.
- Hong Kong's 3rd wave of COVID-19 epidemic basically contained People's Daily 26 Sep 2020 -- Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Carrie Lam said Friday that after a hard-fought battle of more than two months, Hong Kong has basically contained the third wave of the COVID-19 epidemic which started in early July.
- Beijing approves regulation on public health emergency response People's Daily 26 Sep 2020 -- The regulation on public health emergency response in Beijing was approved at a session of the Standing Committee of the 15th Beijing Municipal People's Congress on Friday.
- Chinese mainland reports 15 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 26 Sep 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported 15 new imported COVID-19 cases Friday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 2,788, the National Health Commission said Saturday.
- 14 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 26 Sep 2020 -- The National Health Commission said Saturday that 14 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland Friday.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 26 Sep 2020 -- No new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported Friday across the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said Saturday.
- The Netherlands Expands Health Restrictions As Virus Cases Rise SPA 26 Sep 2020 -- The Dutch government has expanded health restrictions in order to stem the spread of the coronavirus, as cases rise, dpa quoted officials as saying today, on Friday.
- Croatian PM says response to COVID-19 must not result in mistrust, isolationism People's Daily 26 Sep 2020 -- Croatian Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic on Friday told the ongoing general debate of the 75th session of the UN General Assembly that response to the COVID-19 pandemic must not result in increased mistrust and isolationism as overcoming the crisis requires close cooperation and pooling of resources.
- 'We must open our eyes to the weaknesses this pandemic has laid bare', Belgium leader tells UN General Assembly UN News 26 Sep 2020 -- As the world continues to confront the COVID-19 pandemic and its aftershocks, we cannot 'turn our back' to other pressing global concerns, Belgian Prime Minister Sophie WilmÃ¨s told the UN General Assembly on Saturday.
- Repair ugly rifts and unite against common foe, COVID-19, 'or everyone will lose', warns UK's Johnson UN News 26 Sep 2020 -- COVID-19 has "united humanity as never before", the United Kingdom Prime Minister told the UN General Assembly's annual high-level session on Saturday.
- COVID-19 kills 172 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 26 Sep 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Saturday that some 172 more Iranians have died from coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours.
- Health Ministry: 461 New Confirmed Coronavirus Cases Detected, Tally Exceeds 332,000, in Saudi Arabia SPA 26 Sep 2020 -- The Ministry of Health announced in a statement here today that 461 new confirmed cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 332,790 cases, including 11,730 active cases undergoing treatment.
- Taiwan office in France confirms two new COVID-19 cases CNA 26 Sep 2020 -- Taiwan's representative office in France reported two new cases of COVID-19 among its employees, bringing the total to four following individual cases in April and August, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said Saturday.
- Emergency Anti-Epidemic Work Further Intensified in DPRK KCNA 26 Sep 2020 -- The emergency anti-epidemic units at all levels in the DPRK continue their intensive campaign for preventing COVID-19.
- Trudeau pledges over 300 mln USD for COVID-19 vaccine global access program Global Times 26 Sep 2020 -- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Friday that his government is committing 440 million Canadian dollars (about 328 million U.S. dollars) to the COVID-19 Vaccine Global Access (COVAX) Facility designed to ensure equitable access to COVID-19 vaccines.
- Trudeau pledges over 300 mln USD for COVID-19 vaccine global access program People's Daily 26 Sep 2020 -- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Friday that his government is committing 440 million Canadian dollars (about 328 million U.S. dollars) to the COVID-19 Vaccine Global Access (COVAX) Facility designed to ensure equitable access to COVID-19 vaccines.
- China delivers more COVID-19 preventive supplies to Zambia Global Times 26 Sep 2020 -- China on Friday delivered more COVID-19 preventative materials to Zambia.
- Argentine minister tests positive for COVID-19 People's Daily 26 Sep 2020 -- Argentine Minister of Social Development Daniel Arroyo confirmed on Friday that he has tested positive for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), becoming the first member of the Cabinet of Ministers to be diagnosed with the disease.
- Mexico's Confirmed Coronavirus Cases up to 720,858 SPA 26 Sep 2020 -- Mexico's confirmed coronavirus cases rose to 720,858 on Friday, according to updated data from the health ministry, along with a reported death toll of 75,844, Reuters said.
- 'Instead of nationalism, we need global cooperation'; Caribbean leaders call for united front against COVID-19 pandemic UN News 26 Sep 2020 -- Leaders from the Caribbean, in pre-recorded addresses to the UN General Assembly, stressed that their small economies are largely dependent on one or just a few industries, and called for strengthened global cooperation and financing mechanisms to overcome the health crisis sparked by the coronavirus pandemic and recover from its massive socio-economic fallout.
- New 'COVID-19 reality' should compel some to put aside narrow interests and seek multilateral solutions, Syrian Minister says UN News 26 Sep 2020 -- As some States continue to pursue their own narrow agendas above all else, the world is straying further from the principles that underpin international norms and the work of the United Nations, the Foreign Minister of Syria told the high-level General Assembly plenary on Saturday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|