20 September 2020 Military News
- Dozens of Taliban fighters killed in twin airstrikes in Afghanistan's Kunduz Press TV 20 Sep 2020 -- Afghan government forces have carried out two airstrikes on a Taliban base in the northeastern province of Kunduz, killing dozens of militants, officials said.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS Roosevelt Completes PASSEX with Bulgarian Navy US Navy 20 Sep 2020 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Roosevelt (DDG 80) executed a passing exercise (PASSEX) with Bulgarian naval counterparts in the Black Sea, Sept. 20, 2020.
- Antietam Conducts Tomahawk Live-fire Missile Shoot for Exercise Valiant Shield 2020 US Navy 20 Sep 2020 -- Valiant Shield is a U.S. only, biennial field training exercise (FTX) with a focus on the integration of joint training in a blue-water environment among U.S. forces. This training enables real-world proficiency in sustaining joint forces through detecting, locating, tracking and engaging units at sea, in the air, on land and in cyberspace in response to a range of mission areas.
- US Offers Russia to Extend START Treaty for Less Than Five Years Sputnik 20 Sep 2020 -- The New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START) will expire on 5 February 2021 if it is not extended. Russia’s President Vladimir Putin previously proposed extending the treaty for five years without any preconditions.
- UK Increases Spy Flights Near Russian Border Trying to Find Moscow’s ‘Vulnerabilities’: Report Sputnik 20 Sep 2020 -- On Friday, Sergei Rudskoy, chief of the Russian General Staff's Main Operational Directorate, said that in 2020, the number of foreign reconnaissance flights in the Black Sea region has increased by 40 percent compared to last year.
- PLA warplanes featured in drills in Taiwan Straits ‘capable of seizing air superiority and command of sea’ Global Times 20 Sep 2020 -- In two consecutive days of military drills in the Taiwan Straits on Friday and Saturday, the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) reportedly conducted nearly 40 sorties featuring four major types of warplanes - air superiority fighters, multirole fighters, bombers and an anti-submarine warfare aircraft, which Chinese mainland analysts said on Sunday are capable of seizing air superiority and command of the sea over the island of Taiwan and in the Straits.
- PLA soldiers on border patrol given new high-tech outfits to withstand harsh winter Global Times 20 Sep 2020 -- A new article published by the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Daily revealed that Chinese soldiers on border patrol have been equipped with new clothes that feature advanced design, high technology and practical functions, which can help them better enforce their task of safeguarding border regions.
- Taiwan will 'fire back' if attacked by China: military source CNA 20 Sep 2020 -- Taiwan will not make any provocative moves but will return fire if Chinese forces attack, a military source said Sunday, amid rising tensions across the Taiwan Strait due to China's recent incursions into Taiwan airspace.
- The Last Voyage: Indian Aircraft Carrier Ship 'Viraat' Sails to Gujarat for Final Farewell Sputnik 20 Sep 2020 -- After having served in the UK’s Royal Navy as the HMS Hermes, the vessel was inducted into the Indian Navy back in 1987. In India, the ship was renamed the “Viraat”, which is the Hindi word for “gigantic”. True to its name, the vessel weighs 27,800 tonnes and holds the Guinness World Record for being the longest-serving warship in the world.
- IRGC Commander Reiterates Revenge For Killing Soleimani Radio Farda 20 Sep 2020 -- The Chief Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC), Hossein Salami, once again threatened to go after all who had a role in killing the IRGC's Qods Force commander, General Qasem Soleimani, insisting that the end of the United States is an "undeniable reality."
- IRGC commander: Iran's Islamic revolution destroyed enemies' power equilibrium IRNA 20 Sep 2020 -- Commander of Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) Major General Hossein Salami commented on the victory of the Islamic revolution in Iran which enticed animosity of the hegemonic powers and said as the late Founder of the Islamic Republic Imam Khomeini proved, the US has been capable of doing nothing so far.
- Saudi Navy receives new batch of French-made Speed Interceptor Boats SPA 20 Sep 2020 -- Commander of the Saudi Royal Naval Forces Lieutenant General Fahd bin Abdullah Al-Ghufaili patronized here today the delivery ceremony of the second and third batches of the French-made Speed Interceptor Boats HS132 as part of a joint cooperation framework between the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the Republic of France in the field of military manufacture and cooperation.
- Civil Defense in Jazan: Military projectile launched by terrorist Houthi militia falls on a border village, 5 civilians injured SPA 20 Sep 2020 -- The Spokesman for the Civil Defense Directorate in Jazan Region, Colonel Muhammad bin Yahya Al-Ghamdi, stated that the directorate received a report about the fall of a military projectile launched by the Iran-backed Houthi terrorist militia from inside Yemen towards one of the border villages in Al-Harath Governorate in Jazan Region.
- Thousands of mercenaries hired by UAE to carry out assassinations in southern Yemen: Rights groups Press TV 20 Sep 2020 -- Two international civil society organizations for human rights say the United Arab Emirates (UAE) has hired thousands of mercenaries to carry out high-profile assassinations and targeted killings in the southern part of Yemen.
- Turkish-backed militants rob commuters, loot properties in northern Syria: SANA Press TV 20 Sep 2020 -- Turkish-backed Takfiri militants have blackmailed and forcibly snatched cash from commuters in Syria’s northeastern province of Hasakah as they continue to commit various crimes against local populations.
- US-sponsored SDF militants abduct dozens of Syrian civilians in Raqqah Press TV 20 Sep 2020 -- US-sponsored militants affiliated with the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) have abducted dozens of civilians in Syria’s northern province of Raqqah as public outrage boils in areas controlled by them over deteriorating security conditions.
- US convoy transports stolen Syrian oil to Iraq: SANA Press TV 20 Sep 2020 -- A US convoy, consisting of 30 tanker trucks laden with stolen Syrian oil, has left the war-stricken country and sneaked into neighboring Iraq, official SANA news agency says.
- Libya’s NOC announces oil production, export in ports without Haftar’s rebels Press TV 20 Sep 2020 -- Libya’s national oil company has resumed oil production and export from eastern terminals that are free from the presence of rebel forces under the command of renegade general Khalifa Haftar.
- Turkey says may resume talks with Greece amid tensions, warns against EU sanctions Press TV 20 Sep 2020 -- Turkey says it may soon resume talks with Greece over contested waters in the eastern Mediterranean Sea, where Ankara and Athens are locked in a dispute over oil and gas resources in the region.
- Global Banks Reported $2 Trillion In Suspicious Transactions Over Two Decades, New Report Shows RFE/RL 20 Sep 2020 -- Global banks moved over a nearly two-decade period more than $2 trillion in payments they believed were suspicious, according to a new investigative report that raises questions about whether financial institutions and governments are doing enough to stop illicit money flows.
- Former British diplomat and MI6 agent accused of being China ‘spy’ Press TV 20 Sep 2020 -- A former Secret intelligence Service (SIS – better known as MI6) agent who posed as a businessman has been accused of passing highly damaging information to Chinese intelligence.
- ‘No timetable’ for China’s unreliable entities list: official Global Times 20 Sep 2020 -- China on Sunday sought to soothe concerns over its newly released provisions for the Unreliable Entity List that aims to sanction foreign entities harming Chinese interests, as an official offered reassurance that the mechanism will not affect China's opening-up policies and law-abiding firms, one day after procedural rules and penalties were revealed for entities put on the list.
- Cross-Straits exchanges continue amid rising tensions Global Times 20 Sep 2020 -- The ongoing Straits Forum held in the Chinese mainland for cross-Straits people-to-people exchanges showed that the mainland is handling the complicated situation with "two hands" - supporting exchanges and cooperation to serve the concrete benefits of Taiwan compatriots, and increasing military pressure to deter Taiwan separatism and the Trump administration which is increasingly throwing its weight on the Taiwan question, experts said on Sunday.
- North Korea Arrests Remittance Broker on ‘Espionage’ Charges Radio Free Asia 20 Sep 2020 -- Authorities in North Korea have arrested a phone broker on charges of espionage, saying the man shared information about domestic conditions in the reclusive country while helping a North Korean refugee in South Korea communicate with family members in the North, sources told RFA.
- France: Revocation of UN sanctions on Iran, effective IRNA 20 Sep 2020 -- Permanent Representative of France to the United Nations Nicolas de Rivière in a message reiterated E3 commitment to implementation of Iran nuclear deal, saying that revocation of UN sanctions on Iran is effective.
- Russia: US seems to be persistent in undermining intl law IRNA 20 Sep 2020 -- First Deputy Permanent Representative of Russia to the UN Dmitry Polyanskiy in a message described US claims to trigger snapback are illegitimate, saying US seems to be persistent in undermining the International Law.
- President Rouhani: Iran to give resolute response in case of US bullying IRNA 20 Sep 2020 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani announced on Sunday that the US' maximum pressure in political and legal sections have turned into that country's maximum isolation.
- US needs to stop roguery to return to international community: Iran IRNA 20 Sep 2020 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh said in his weekly press conference that Tehran’s message to Washington is that the US needs to stop roguery, if it wants to return to the international community.
- Statement on US’ futile effort to reinstate anti-Iran sanctions ISNA 20 Sep 2020 -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Republic of Iran has issued a statement in reaction to Washington’s futile efforts to reinstate the UN sanctions on Tehran.
- US the 1st victim of Trump’s short-sighted policies: Iran ISNA 20 Sep 2020 -- Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman, Saeed Khatibzadeh stressed, “Tehran’s message to Washington is clear: Rejoin the international community, comply with your commitments and stop being defiant and recalcitrant. In that case, the international community will accept you”.
- Iran FM: Trump should change tack before Pompeo brings further ridicule on US Press TV 20 Sep 2020 -- Iran’s foreign minister has slammed his US counterpart for sticking to the assertion that UN sanctions are back in place against Tehran despite rejections by other Security Council members, urging President Donald Trump to rein in his secretary of state.
- Iran will never succumb to US bullying, illegitimate demands: President Rouhani Press TV 20 Sep 2020 -- Iran's president says the Islamic Republic will never give in to US bullying after the United States claimed it has restored all UN sanctions against Tehran through the so-called snapback mechanism of a landmark nuclear deal clinched in 2015, officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- Iran says no need for European arms, will buy weapons from Russia, China Press TV 20 Sep 2020 -- Iran’s foreign minister says the country will meet its strategic needs by purchasing weapons from Russia and China, and has no need for European weapons once the UN embargo is lifted in October.
- Zarif says US’ claim that Iran sanctions will be restored is unfounded ISNA 20 Sep 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif stressed, the US knows its claim that Iran sanctions will be back in effect is unfounded.
- UN chief says will take no action on US 'snapback' push against Iran Press TV 20 Sep 2020 -- The United Nations secretary-general says “uncertainty” prevents him from taking any action on a US declaration that all UN sanctions have been reinstated against Iran.
- Iran calls US attempt to ‘snapback’ sanctions ‘null and void’, urges UN to block it Press TV 20 Sep 2020 -- Iran says the US’ claim about the return of the UN Security Council’s sanctions against Tehran as per the so-called “snapback” mechanism is “null and void”, calling on the UN and its Security Council to block any attempt to reinstate the bans.
- U.S. Declares Return Of UN Sanctions On Iran Despite Opposition From Allies RFE/RL 20 Sep 2020 -- The United States has unilaterally reimposed all UN sanctions against Iran, despite opposition from Washington’s closest European allies and uncertainty over the impact of the move.
- US Facing Defeat in Its Sanction Move Against Iran, President Rouhani Says Sputnik 20 Sep 2020 -- On Saturday, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced that all UN sanctions against Iran were "back in effect" under the “snapback” mechanism of UN Security Council Resolution 2231.
- E3 Foreign Ministers' Statement: 20 September 2020 UK FCDO 20 Sep 2020 -- Statement by the United Kingdom, France and Germany on the JCPoA.
- E3: US claim on snapback sanctions on Iran lacks legal effect Press TV 20 Sep 2020 -- The three European signatories to the 2015 nuclear deal, also known as the E3, say a claim by the United States that it has restored Iran sanctions through the so-called snapback mechanism has no legal effect.
- US snapback push against Iran 'theatrical performance': Russia Press TV 20 Sep 2020 -- Russia has censured a unilateral declaration by the United States on the restoration of UN sanctions against Iran as a “theatrical performance” that aims to mislead the international community.
- Iran on US histrionics: Sanctions are not back except in Pompeo’s imaginary world Press TV 20 Sep 2020 -- The Iranian Foreign Ministry says the international community will not buy into Washington’s frenetic attempt to reinstate all United Nations sanctions against the Islamic Republic, adding that US officials live in “an imaginary world.”
- EU's Borrell confirms US cannot unilaterally trigger restoration of UN sanctions on Iran ISNA 20 Sep 2020 -- EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs Josep Borrell in a statement on Sunday rejected the United States' right to unilaterally restore international sanctions on Iran on a basis of an agreement it withdrew from.
- EU Chief: Sanctions lifting commitments under JCPOA continue to apply IRNA 20 Sep 2020 -- High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Policy and Security Affairs in a statement rejected US claim with regard to restoration of UN sanctions against Iran, saying sanctions lifting commitments under JCPOA continue to apply.
- Facing Enraged Iranian Pilgrims, Iraq Closes its Borders Radio Farda 20 Sep 2020 -- The Iraqi Border Authority have announced that the country's borders are closed, a response to videos posted on social media showing some Iranian pilgrims storming toward Iran's western borders to reach the Iraqi city of Karbala.
- Russia slams EU for inviting Belarus opposition figure to ministerial meeting Press TV 20 Sep 2020 -- Russia and Belarus have both criticized the European Union for making overtures to Belarusian opposition figure Svetlana Tikhanovskaya, who left the country for Lithuania after losing the presidential election to President Alexander Lukashenko.
- Siluanov: Belarus To Pay $330 Million In Gazprom Debt From New Russian Loan RFE/RL 20 Sep 2020 -- Belarus will channel about $330 million of a new $1.5 billion loan from Russia to cover its outstanding debt to Russian gas giant Gazprom, Russian Finance Minister Anton Siluanov was quoted as saying by TASS on September 20.
- Thousands March Again In Belarus To Call For Lukashenka's Resignation RFE/RL 20 Sep 2020 -- Thousands of opposition supporters gathered again in central Minsk on September 20 for a fresh protest -- despite threats of arrest -- to demand authoritarian ruler Alyaksandr Lukashenka step down.
- Hackers Leak Personal Data Of 1,000 Belarusian Police Officers Involved In Protest Repression RFE/RL 20 Sep 2020 -- Hackers leaked the personal data of 1,000 members of the Belarusian police force in retaliation for a crackdown on street demonstrations against strongman President Alyaksandr Lukashenka ahead of another mass rally scheduled on September 20.
- Thai protesters remain on streets for 2nd day, calling for reform in monarchy Press TV 20 Sep 2020 -- Mass protests continue in the Thai capital Bangkok with thousands of demonstrators taking to the streets with demands for reforms in the monarchy and the resignation of Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, who came to power in a coup six years ago.
- Venezuelan FM Slams Pompeo’s ‘Fake’ Concern for His Country on Latin American Tour Sputnik 20 Sep 2020 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo visited four South American countries around Venezuela this week, pledging hundreds of millions in aid to those fleeing the South American nation's economic crisis but also reiterating threats to depose socialist President Nicolas Maduro.
- Italy Holds Referendum on Reducing Seats in Parliament VOA 20 Sep 2020 -- Italians vote Sunday and Monday on whether to reduce the number of members of the country's parliament.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|