06 September 2020 Military News
- Afghan government troops repel Taliban offensive in Kandahar Press TV 06 Sep 2020 -- Afghan security forces have repelled an overnight attack by the Taliban and killed at least 10 members of the militant group in the southern province of Kandahar.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Trump Disputes Media Allegations He Disparaged US War Dead VOA 06 Sep 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump on Sunday assailed U.S. news media accounts that in 2018 he belittled American World War I casualties while skipping a centenary commemoration of the end of the war on a rainy day at a cemetery outside Paris.
- US sends 500 troops to Lithuania for exercises near Belarus border Press TV 06 Sep 2020 -- The United States military has reportedly dispatched 500 soldiers to Lithuania to engage in war games near the border with Belarus.
- China's two aircraft carriers in apparent simultaneous exercises for 1st time: reports Global Times 06 Sep 2020 -- After China's second aircraft carrier, the Shandong, embarked on a training voyage in the Bohai Sea last week, the country's first carrier, the Liaoning, was spotted leaving its base and sailing in the Yellow Sea during the weekend. This was the first time known to the general public that China had two active aircraft carriers out at sea for apparent simultaneous exercises.
- Exposé On Former General's Vast Wealth Spurs Debate About Military Privilege In Pakistan RFE/RL 06 Sep 2020 -- Pakistan's powerful generals have for decades cited political corruption as a leading problem in the country that justified the toppling of governments through repeated coups and the military's manipulation of power.
- Turkey stages military drills in north Cyprus amid tensions with Greece Press TV 06 Sep 2020 -- Turkey has kicked off its annual military exercises in the breakaway republic of northern Cyprus on Sunday amid growing dispute with Greece in the eastern Mediterranean.
- Lack of fuel shutting down Yemen's health facilities as Saudi siege tightens: Health Ministry Press TV 06 Sep 2020 -- The Saudi siege on Yemen is pushing all working health facilities in the impoverished Arab country toward total suspension due to the lack of fuel, the Health Ministry warns.
- Saudi-Led Coalition Intercepts and Destroys Explosive-Laden Drone in Yemeni Airspace, Reports Say Sputnik 06 Sep 2020 -- The Kingdom has already destroyed several similar drones fired towards its territory by the Houthi movement this week, according to state media, citing officials.
- US, Turkey send more military reinforcements into bases in oil-rich northeast Syria Press TV 06 Sep 2020 -- US occupation forces have dispatched a convoy of trucks carrying military equipment to Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah, Syrian media reports.
- Militants Shell Settlement in Syrian Province of Aleppo, Russian Military Says Sputnik 06 Sep 2020 -- The Hayat Tahrir al-Sham* terrorist group shelled a settlement in the Syrian province of Aleppo, the deputy head of the Russian Defence Ministry's Centre for Syrian Reconciliation, Rear Admiral Alexander Grinkevich, said on Sunday.
- Iraqi parliament committee rejects direct negotiations with Turkey amid PKK operation Press TV 06 Sep 2020 -- The security and defense committee of Iraq's parliament has rejected direct negotiations with Turkey over an ongoing cross-border operation in the semi-autonomous Kurdistan region against the hideouts of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK).
- China, India defense chiefs agree to resolve border tensions Press TV 06 Sep 2020 -- The defense ministers of India and China have met in the Russian capital of Moscow as part of efforts aimed at resolving heightening tensions after a fierce clash in June killed 20 Indian soldiers along their disputed border in the eastern Ladakh region.
- Sanctions against Turkey on EU table over Greece tensions: France Press TV 06 Sep 2020 -- France says sanctions against Turkey are on the table during an upcoming meeting of the European Council as tensions with Greece deepen.
- Erdogan warns Greece to enter Mediterranean talks or face 'painful' consequences Press TV 06 Sep 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has warned Greece to enter talks over disputed territorial claims in the eastern Mediterranean or face "painful" consequences.
- Two French soldiers killed, one injured on Mali operation Press TV 06 Sep 2020 -- Two French military personnel have been killed while on an operation in Mali after an improvised explosive device destroyed their armored vehicle, the French Presidency said.
- Saudi King Tells Trump Kingdom Willing to Reach 'Permanent and Just Solution' to Palestinian Problem Sputnik 06 Sep 2020 -- Tensions have risen in the region after the UAE and Israel reached an agreement that will make the Emirates the third Arab country in modern history to establish diplomatic ties with the state of Israel.
- Russia: Germany stalling Navalny probe 'on purpose' Press TV 06 Sep 2020 -- Russia has accused Germany of stalling the process of an investigation into the condition of opposition figure Alexi Navalny after Berlin failed to respond to a request for his medical records by Russian prosecutors.
- German Foreign Minister Adds To Pressure On Moscow To Clarify Navalny Poisoning RFE/RL 06 Sep 2020 -- Germany's foreign minister has signaled that Berlin will push for new sanctions against Russia if Moscow fails to explain the poisoning of Kremlin critic Aleksei Navalny, and rejected Moscow's allegations that Berlin was delaying investigation efforts.
- Germany Threatens Sanctions on Russia over Navalny Poisoning VOA 06 Sep 2020 -- Germany's foreign minister has held out the possibility of sanctions on Russia if the Kremlin does not provide information soon about the suspected poisoning of opposition leader Alexey Navalny.
- Russia Will Start Making New Soyuz-5 Rocket Next Year, Progress Space Centre's Director Says Sputnik 06 Sep 2020 -- Developers will start making the Soyuz-5 rocket (Irtysh) that Russia is planning in order to replace Ukraine's Zenit launch vehicles in mid-2021, General Director of Russian Space Rocket Centre Progress Dmitry Baranov said.
- HK opposition groups warned on gatherings Global Times 06 Sep 2020 -- Adding fuel to the fire of Hong Kong's coronavirus flare-up, opposition groups organized illegal gatherings in Kowloon on Sunday morning, which were held under the guise of protesting postponed Legislative Council (LegCo) elections and the national security law.
- Hundreds Arrested in Hong Kong Protests to Commemorate Postponed Elections VOA 06 Sep 2020 -- At least 289 people were arrested in Hong Kong Sunday during protests against the postponement of legislative elections.
- Returning reusable spacecraft may be like US' X-37B, focusing on civilian use, tapping into space application potential: experts Global Times 06 Sep 2020 -- After flying in orbit for two days, China's reusable spacecraft landed safely to its designated site on Sunday, marking a breakthrough in China's technology for reusing spacecraft.
- China's reusable spacecraft successfully returns to designated landing site Global Times 06 Sep 2020 -- After flying in orbit for two days, China's reusable spacecraft, which was launched from Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center on Friday, successfully returned to its designated landing site on Sunday.
- China's Reusable Experimental Spaceship Successfully Returns to Earth - Reports Sputnik 06 Sep 2020 -- The Chinese reusable experimental spaceship has successfully returned to Earth having spent two days in the orbit, Chinese news agency Xinhua reported on Sunday.
- Xinhua: Reusable Experimental Spacecraft Has Returned Successfully to Earth VOA 06 Sep 2020 -- An experimental, reusable Chinese spacecraft returned to its designated landing site Sunday after two days in orbit, China's official Xinhua news agency reported.
- KMT to stick to '1992 consensus:' party chairman CNA 06 Sep 2020 -- The Kuomintang (KMT), Taiwan's main opposition party, will continue to stick to its long-held stance of upholding the "1992 consensus" as the basis of its policy toward China, the party's chairman said on Sunday.
- Breach of national sovereignty: China slams Czech visit to Taiwan Press TV 06 Sep 2020 -- The Chinese Embassy in Prague has condemned this week's visit to Taiwan by a high-ranking Czech delegation as "a serious infringement on China's national sovereignty."
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un Sent Open Letter to All Party Members in Pyongyang KCNA 06 Sep 2020 -- The following is the full text of an open letter sent by Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un to all the Party members in the capital city of Pyongyang during his inspection of a typhoon-afflicted area in South Hamgyong Province:
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un Convenes Enlarged Meeting of Executive Policy Council of C. C., WPK in Typhoon-hit Area before Inspection KCNA 06 Sep 2020 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK), chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) and supreme commander of the armed forces of the DPRK, convened and guided the enlarged meeting of the Executive Policy Council of the Central Committee of the WPK for organizing the campaign for recovery from natural disasters in areas in South and North Hamgyong provinces hit by Typhoon No.9.
- Big Efforts Being Directed to Preventing Typhoon Damage in DPRK KCNA 06 Sep 2020 -- It is brisk in the DPRK to prevent damage by approaching Typhoon No. 10.
- North Korean leader visits typhoon-hit area, orders recovery efforts Press TV 06 Sep 2020 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has visited the devastated typhoon-hit coastal area of the country, issuing orders to boost rescue and recovery efforts in the battered region.
- North Korea's Kim Orders Pyongyang to Aid Typhoon-Hit Northeastern Provinces, State Media Says Sputnik 06 Sep 2020 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has ordered a comprehensive political and financial assistance by the country's capital of Pyongyang to the provinces of South and North Hamgyong, hit hard by ongoing typhoons, the Korean Central News Agency reported on Sunday.
- Elements behind act of sabotage in Natanz identified: AEOI spokesman ISNA 06 Sep 2020 -- Security organizations have detected the cause of the July 2 incident in Natanz nuclear site and identified the elements behind the act of sabotage, the spokesman for the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Behrouz Kamalvandi announced.
- Iran identifies perpetrators of sabotage at Natanz nuclear facility: AEOI spokesman Press TV 06 Sep 2020 -- The spokesman for the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) says the country's security forces have identified the perpetrators of an act of sabotage at Natanz nuclear facility in central Iran in July.
- Natanz Blast: Iran Identifies 'Forces Responsible for Sabotage' at Country's Largest Nuclear Site Sputnik 06 Sep 2020 -- Iranian officials previously said that a fire and explosion on 2 July at the country's largest uranium enrichment facility was the result of sabotage and vowed to respond if it finds evidence that foreign forces were involved in it.
- Iran welcomes IAEA report as "positive, constructive" People's Daily 06 Sep 2020 -- Iran welcomes the report by International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) on Iran's nuclear program, saying it's positive and constructive."
- IAEA Allowed Inspecting A Suspected Nuclear Site In Iran After A Long Stand-off Radio Farda 06 Sep 2020 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) says that its officials have finally inspected one of the two sites that Iran granted the agency access to last week.
- Thousands March In Minsk In Latest Opposition Effort To Pressure Lukashenka RFE/RL 06 Sep 2020 -- Tens of thousands of Belarusians have marched through central Minsk as part of the continuing opposition-led effort to pressure President Alyaksandr Lukashenka to resign.
- Large Protests Against Lukashenko Persist VOA 06 Sep 2020 -- Protesters once again took to the streets of Belarus Sunday, the latest in nearly a month of demonstrations following disupted elections that left longtime president Alexander Lukashenko in power.
- Mali's Military Coup Leaders Announce Cancellation of Curfew Across Country Sputnik 06 Sep 2020 -- Representatives of the military who took power in Mali have announced the cancellation of the curfew across the country, the National Committee for the Salvation of the People said on Sunday.
- Serbian Official Lashes Out At Russian Spokeswoman For Mocking President RFE/RL 06 Sep 2020 -- A top Serbian official has lashed out at Moscow after a Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman mocked Serbia's president for his participation in a U.S. White House ceremony.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|