07 June 2020 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- National Guardsmen Returning Home After D.C. Mission DoD News 07 Jun 2020 -- All out-of-state National Guardsmen will be returning home after accomplishing their missions in the nation's capital, Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy told reporters today.
- Trump Orders National Guard Withdrawn From Washington VOA 07 Jun 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump on Sunday ordered the 5,000 National Guard troops brought to Washington last week to quell protests against the death of a black man in police custody to begin to withdraw, saying the national capital was "under perfect control."
- US Attorney General Defends Clearing Park of Protesters Near White House VOA 07 Jun 2020 -- U.S. Attorney General William Barr has justified use of force to clear Lafayette Park across the street from White House last Monday evening of protesters just ahead of President Donald Trump walking through the park for a photo-op in front of a nearby church.
- Pentagon Order Behind Helicopter Fly-Overs That Scared DC Protesters, Reports Suggest Sputnik 07 Jun 2020 -- The Pentagon ordered two Army National Guard helicopters to use a "persistent presence" for crowd control during anti-racism protests in Washington, DC, the New York Times has learned.
- Trump Orders National Guard to Withdraw From Washington DC Sputnik 07 Jun 2020 -- This comes as more protests against police aggression and racial discrimination are expected to take place in the city on Sunday.
- Trump Reportedly Sought to Deploy 10,000 Troops to Quell Protests in Wake of Death of George Floyd Sputnik 07 Jun 2020 -- On 1 June US President Donald Trump said he would mobilize "all federal resources, civilian and military", to quell protests against police brutality raging across America after the death of black man George Floyd, urging state governors to deploy the National Guard in great numbers to "dominate the streets."
- 'Trump planned to deploy 10,000 active-duty troops to quell protests' Press TV 07 Jun 2020 -- US President Donald Trump reportedly came close to deploying 10,000 active-duty troops to quell protests in Washington, DC, against police violence and systemic racism sparked by the recent police killing of unarmed, handcuffed African-American man George Floyd.
- US military convoy enters Hasakah in northeast Syria from Iraq: SANA Press TV 07 Jun 2020 -- As part of Washington's stiff competition with some of its regional allies to maintain control over oil reserves in Syria and plunder natural resources in the country, the US military has reportedly sent a new convoy of trucks carrying military and logistical equipment to the northeastern province of Hasakah.
- Russia to US: Leave Syria, deal with your own crisis Press TV 07 Jun 2020 -- Russia has called on the United States to end its illegal occupation of Syria and instead deal with its own internal crises amid social unrest that has gripped the country over the murder of another black man by a white police officer.
- Negotiation futile unless withdrawal of US troops from Iraq realized: Nujaba official Press TV 07 Jun 2020 -- A senior official with Harakat Hezbollah al-Nujaba, whose group is part of Iraq's Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), has warned against granting concessions to the United States in the forthcoming negotiations between Baghdad and Washington, stating that any talks that would not result in the pullout of US troops are rejected.
- French forces 'kill al-Qaeda commander in North Africa' Press TV 07 Jun 2020 -- French military forces based in North Africa have reportedly killed a senior militant linked to the al-Qaeda terrorist group.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Ford Completes Largest Aircraft Embark NNS 07 Jun 2020 -- With Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 8 embarked, USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78) logged significant milestones this week during Post Delivery Test and Trials (PDT&T) operations at sea.
- US Special Op forces testing Israeli-made smart rifle system in Syria Press TV 07 Jun 2020 -- US special operations forces are currently testing and evaluating an Israeli-developed computerized fire control and rifle sight system downrange in Syria, according to the US Special Operations Command (SOCOM).
- Russia's Admiral Kasatonov Stealth Warship Completes State Sea Trials Sputnik 07 Jun 2020 -- The Admiral Kasatonov frigate is capable of destroying surface ships, convoys and airborne military units, along with searching and targeting submarines and providing anti-aircraft, anti-submarine and anti-missile defence.
- PLA conducts maneuvers in high-altitude NW China amid border tensions with India Global Times 07 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) has organized a large-scale maneuver operation featuring thousands of paratroopers plus armored vehicles to the country's high-altitude northwestern region over a long distance from Central China's Hubei Province amid border tensions between China and India.
- Mission Sagar - INS Kesari at Port Victoria, Seychelles India PIB 07 Jun 2020 -- As part of Mission Sagar, Indian Naval Ship Kesari entered Port Victoria, Seychelles, on 07 June 2020. The Government of India in these difficult times is providing assistance to Friendly Foreign Countries in dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic and towards the same INS Kesari is carrying a consignment of COVID related essential medicines for the people of Seychelles.
- OPERATION SAMUDRA SETU - INS JALASHWA ARRIVES AT TUTICORIN WITH 700 INDIAN CITIZENS EMBARKED FROM MALDIVES India PIB 07 Jun 2020 -- INS Jalashwa, deployed by the Indian Navy for "Operation SamudraSetu", entered Tuticorinharbour with 700 Indian nationals evacuated from Male, Maldvies on 07 June 2020. Thus far INS Jalashwa has evacuated 2672 Indian citizens from Maldives and Sri Lanka to India as part of Vande Bharat Mission.
- Iran military overhauls 10 helicopters, puts them in service Press TV 07 Jun 2020 -- Ten Iranian military helicopters have been overhauled and become operational by the country's military industries.
- Saudi Arabia exempts Western arms purchases from austerity plan: FT Press TV 07 Jun 2020 -- Saudi Arabia is reportedly continuing to import weapons from Western countries, especially the United States, despite austerity measures taken recently to handle the kingdom's worst financial crisis in decades.
- Western Arms Makers Unscathed by Saudi Austerity Drive, Report Says Sputnik 07 Jun 2020 -- Last month, the kingdom introduced austerity measures to cope with the global economic downturn caused by the coronavirus and reeling oil prices. The measures included tripling the VAT, suspending cost of living allowances for state employees, and other "painful but necessary" moves to preserve financial and economic stability.
- Egypt's president offers initiative to end conflict in war-torn Libya as fighting heats up People's Daily 07 Jun 2020 -- Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi announced on Saturday that Libyan Parliament Speaker Aguila Saleh and eastern-based military leader Khalifa Haftar have welcomed an initiative to end the military conflict in the neighboring war-torn Libya.
- India and China to 'Peacefully' Resolve Border Row, India says VOA 07 Jun 2020 -- India and China will resolve a dispute on their contested borders "peacefully" the Indian External Affairs Ministry said Sunday, a day after military commanders from the two countries met to find a solution to their monthlong standoff in the Himalayas.
- New Delhi, Beijing Agree to Peacefully Resolve Border Dispute - Indian Foreign Ministry Sputnik 07 Jun 2020 -- India and China have agreed during bilateral talks between army commanders to peacefully settle tensions along the Line of Actual Control (LAC), the Indian Ministry of External Affairs said in a press release on Sunday.
- Encounter Breaks Out Between Indian Forces, Terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir's Shopian Sputnik 07 Jun 2020 -- India's federally-administered region of Jammu and Kashmir has witnessed several search operations and terrorist encounters. After Indian troops recently foiled a Pulwama-style attack on security forces, Indian intelligence reports revealed that terrorists trained in Pakistan are planning several attacks in the region.
- Indian forces kill five pro-independence fighters in Kashmir shootout Press TV 07 Jun 2020 -- Indian forces have killed at least five pro-independence fighters in gunfire in Indian-controlled Kashmir, sparking protests by local residents in the restive disputed valley
- Hamas warns of massive uprising against Israel's plans to annex West Bank Press TV 07 Jun 2020 -- The Palestinian Hamas resistance movement has warned that Israel's plans to annex large parts of the occupied West Bank and the Jordan Valley, and its plots against the al-Aqsa Mosque will spark a massive uprising against the occupying entity.
- Turkish Ambassador in Greece Confirms Ankara Ready to Address Maritime Zones Delimitation Sputnik 07 Jun 2020 -- Relations between the two countries have been strained by border tensions and Turkey's oil and gas exploration plans in the Mediterranean. Recently, the Turkish Petroleum Corporation announced plans to drill for natural gas in areas considered by Greece to be part of its continental shelf.
- Russian State Channel RT Files Lawsuit Against Opposition Figure Navalny RFE/RL 07 Jun 2020 -- The Russian state-controlled broadcaster RT has filed a lawsuit against opposition politician and anti-corruption activist Aleksei Navalny, alleging that he damaged the firm's business reputation.
- Calls for 'referendum' lack legal basis in HK, a move to use students for political aims: HK govt Global Times 07 Jun 2020 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government on Sunday strongly slammed certain organizations for calling for a "referendum" on a strike and class boycott among local residents and students as a way to oppose a decision for the national security legislation in the city.
- Liaison office of Chinese central gov't in HKSAR holds symposium on national security legislation Global Times 07 Jun 2020 -- Speaking at the symposium attended by a total of 21 HKSAR deputies to the National People's Congress (NPC) and members of the National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), Director of the LOCPG in the HKSAR Luo Huining said establishing and improving the legal system and enforcement mechanisms for the HKSAR to safeguard national security at the state level follows the principles of firmly safeguarding national security, upholding and improving the "one country, two systems" framework, adhering to governing Hong Kong in accordance with the law, resolutely opposing foreign interference and ensuring the legitimate rights and interests of Hong Kong residents.
- Hong Kong will remain financial hub attractive to capital, investors Global Times 07 Jun 2020 -- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Financial Secretary Paul Chan Mo-po said Sunday he is confident and optimistic that Hong Kong will remain an international financial center, after Chief Executive Carrie Lam expressed confidence Saturday.
- Japan refuses to join US, others in condemning China's Hong Kong law: Sources Press TV 07 Jun 2020 -- Japan has reportedly decided not to join the United States, the United Kingdom and some other countries in "condemning" China over a recently-passed law to safeguard national security in Hong Kong, the semi-autonomous Chinese territory.
- Pompeo Says China's Actions With Regard to Hong Kong Compare to Those of Nazi Germany Sputnik 07 Jun 2020 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has compared China's policy with regard to Hong Kong to the actions of Nazi Germany during World War II.
- China suspends debt repayment for 77 developing nations, regions Global Times 07 Jun 2020 -- China has announced the suspension of debt repayment for 77 developing countries and regions as the nation is working with other G20 members to carry out the G20 debt relief initiative for low-income countries, Chinese officials said at a press briefing at the State Council Information Office on Sunday.
- China's travel warning a result of Australian animosity, rocky bilateral ties Global Times 07 Jun 2020 -- China's official warning against travel to Australia is reasonable given abundant evidence of the latter's racist acts targeting Chinese and other Asians, which have risen in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic and rocky bilateral relations, Chinese analysts said on Sunday, noting that Australia should have considered the costs when introducing anti-China policies earlier.
- Australia, China Clash Over COVID-19 Racism Claims VOA 07 Jun 2020 -- Australia is disputing Chinese government advice given to Chinese citizens urging them not to travel to Australia because of what Beijing calls a surge in racism during the coronavirus pandemic. The Chinese Ministry of Culture and Tourism issued the warning, insisting there was a "significant increase" in racist attacks on "Chinese and Asian people" in Australia.
- Shamkhani hails successful return of Iran's oil tankers IRNA 07 Jun 2020 -- Secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) Ali Shamkhani in a message said the successful return of Iranian oil tankers indicates the effectiveness of active resistance strategy.
- Zangeneh: 90% of agreement to cut oil production implemented IRNA 07 Jun 2020 -- Iran's Oil Minister Bijan Zangeneh said on Saturday that OPEC and OPEC+ have no mechanism to guarantee implementation of the agreement to cut production and the only guarantee are oil prices.
- Iran tightens currency control by setting cap on carrying foreign cash Press TV 07 Jun 2020 -- The Central Bank of Iran (CBI) has imposed a cap on how much individuals can carry foreign cash amid efforts meant to stabilize the foreign currency market in the country.
- US has no right under Resolution 2231, Iran's envoys says IRNA 07 Jun 2020 -- Iran's Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the United Nations Majid Takht Ravanchi on Saturday described his US counterpart's statements as wrong, saying that Washington has no right to initiate anything under Resolution 2231.
- Netanyahu Calls on World to Impose 'Paralyzing' Sanctions on Iran Over Nuclear Deal 'Violations' Sputnik 07 Jun 2020 -- On Friday, a confidential International Atomic Energy Agency report indicated that Iran is continuing to build up enriched uranium stockpiles beyond limits set out in the 2015 nuclear deal. Tehran has vowed to continue reducing commitments to the treaty until other signatories find a way to bypass crippling US sanctions.
- Iran ready to deliver black box of UIA plane: deputy FM ISNA 07 Jun 2020 -- Iranian deputy Foreign Minister for International and Legal Affairs, Mohsen Baharvand stressed that Iran is ready to deliver the black box of Ukrainian Boeing 737 for decryption to close the case with the participation of other countries.
- No direct Iran-US talks during prisoner exchange: Foreign Ministry spokesman Press TV 07 Jun 2020 -- Iran says no direct talks have taken place between the Islamic Republic and the United States during a recent prisoner exchange, adding that the process was expedited by the Swiss Embassy in Tehran, which acts as the interests section for Washington.
- Iran Intelligence Official Says US Detainee 'Deported' Due To His Health Radio Farda 07 Jun 2020 -- A senior Iranian intelligence official has claimed that freed U.S. citizen Michael White was "deported" on "humanitarian grounds" after the deterioration of his health.
- Ahmadinejad Is Ready For A Political Comeback In Iran- Are You Ready? Radio Farda 07 Jun 2020 -- There are indications that Iran's firebrand former President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad may be willing and ready to run for president in 2021, less than a year from now. But are Iran and its Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei also ready for that?
- Iran's Chief Judge Reiterates Need To Separate 'Political' And 'Security' Crimes Radio Farda 07 Jun 2020 -- The head of Iran's hardliner Judiciary issued a new directive June 6 advocating a separate treatment for "political crimes" by those who criticize the country's clerical rulers from "security crimes" by those who question the very essence of the regime.
- Lebanon's Berri condemns attempts to incite national division Press TV 07 Jun 2020 -- Lebanon's Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri has condemned certain attempts to incite division among the Lebanese, warning against the emergence of sectarian strife.
- Saudi-Russia OPEC+ Alliance Extends Oil Cuts RFE/RL 07 Jun 2020 -- The OPEC oil cartel and allied countries on June 6 agreed to a one-month extension of record production cuts, in hopes of stabilizing oil markets hit by a coronavirus-induced economic slowdown.
- OPEC, Other Oil Producers Agreed to Extend Cuts Through July VOA 07 Jun 2020 -- OPEC and other key oil producers agreed Saturday to extend production cuts of nearly 10 million barrels of oil a day through July to boost oil prices severely hit by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Serbian President Says Kosovo's Tariff Move 'Opens Possibility' For Resuming Talks RFE/RL 07 Jun 2020 -- Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic has expressed cautious optimism that talks with Kosovo brokered by the European Union could resume, one day after Kosovo's new government lifted all trade barriers that had been imposed on Serbia.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|