04 June 2020 Military News
- US Warns No End to Fight Against Islamic State VOA 04 Jun 2020 -- More than a year after the U.S.-led coalition declared victory over the Islamic State's self-declared caliphate in Iraq and Syria, a top U.S. official admits the fight against the terror group is not close to over.
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeo at the Ministerial Meeting of the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS US Dept. of State 04 Jun 2020
- Joint Communique by Ministers of the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS Small Group US Dept. of State 04 Jun 2020 -- "At the invitation of Italian Minister of Foreign Affairs Luigi Di Maio and U.S. Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo, the Foreign Ministers of the Global Coalition to Defeat Daesh/ISIS Small Group met virtually today to reaffirm our shared determination to continue the fight against Daesh/ISIS in Iraq and Syria, and to create conditions for an enduring defeat of the terrorist group, which remains the Coalition's sole purpose, through a comprehensive, multifaceted effort."
- Add Women to Peace Talks, EU and Others Tell Taliban, Afghan Government VOA 04 Jun 2020 -- Eight countries and the European Union have encouraged the Afghan government and Taliban to make sure women participate in upcoming peace negotiations.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Former US defense secretary says Trump deliberately sows division among Americans Global Times 04 Jun 2020 -- Former US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis broke silence on Wednesday amid the ongoing turbulent unrest across the United States, saying that President Donald Trump "tries to divide" the American people.
- Ex-Pentagon chief blasts Trump for dividing Americans amid anti-racism protests Press TV 04 Jun 2020 -- Former Pentagon Chief Jim Mattis has denounced Donald Trump's handling of nationwide anti-racism protests, saying the president is trying to turn Americans against each other.
- Small robotic mule, other unmanned ground systems on the horizon Army News 04 Jun 2020 -- The Army plans to award a contract this month to produce hundreds of robotic mules that will help light infantry units carry gear, a product manager said last week, as part of a line of unmanned ground systems the service is developing.
- SECNAV Announces Truman Carrier Strike Group to Return to Homeport NNS 04 Jun 2020 -- Secretary of the Navy Kenneth J. Braithwaite announced Thursday the Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group (HSTCSG) will return to homeport by mid-June. He made the announcement at sea, while visiting the crew and embarked Carrier Air Wing 1 aboard the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75).
- USS Theodore Roosevelt Departs Guam Mission Ready NNS 04 Jun 2020 -- USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71) departed Apra Harbor to continue its scheduled deployment in the Indo-Pacific, June 4.
- Global Hawks return to Yokota AB, provides continuous support to joint partners, allies US Air Force 04 Jun 2020 -- Pacific Air Forces will conduct a rotation of RQ-4 Global Hawks from Andersen Air Force Base, Guam, to Yokota Air Base beginning May 30 to ensure continuous operations in support of U.S. Indo-Pacific Command's reconnaissance requirements.
- USAFE-AFAFRICA conducts first large-force exercise amidst COVID-19 US Air Force 04 Jun 2020 -- U.S. Air Force F-15 Strike Eagles assigned to the 48th Fighter Wing, RAF Lakenheath; F-16 Fighting Falcons assigned to the 31st Fighter Wing at Aviano Air Base, Italy; F-16s assigned to the 52nd Fighter Wing at Spangdahlem AB, Germany; KC-135 Stratotankers assigned to the 100th Air Refueling Wing at RAF Mildenhall; and NATO E-3 Sentry, or AWACS, from Geilenkirchen AB, Germany; participated in a large-force exercise, or LFE, within the North Sea airspace, May 27.
- NATO Secretary General addresses Foreign Ministers of the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS NATO 04 Jun 2020 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg addressed Foreign Ministers of the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS on Thursday (4 June 2020), at a meeting co-chaired by Italy and the United States and held via video-conference.
- Russia to never initiate use of nukes: Kremlin People's Daily 04 Jun 2020 -- Russia will never initiate the use of nuclear weapons, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said regarding the country's newly released nuclear deterrence policy on Wednesday.
- Chinese Navy launches 2020 pilot recruitment PLA Daily 04 Jun 2020 -- China's PLA Navy officially launched its 2020 pilot recruitment. The campaign will be implemented in two phases before and after the national college entrance examination. The comprehensive assessment and review will be combined, and the recruitment is expected to be completed by early August.
- Military to recruit more college grads PLA Daily 04 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese military has decided to recruit more university students this year by streamlining recruitment procedures and offering more benefits, according to a new notice.
- PLA holds intensive landing, naval drills in 'warning to secessionists' Global Times 04 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) has been holding frequent and intensive amphibious landing and naval drills in what analysts said are sending warnings to Taiwan secessionists.
- Speculation of military commission rises as FC-31 stealth fighter jet appears in PLA Navy recruitment video Global Times 04 Jun 2020 -- After China's FC-31 stealth fighter jet appeared in the most recent pilot recruitment video for the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy, speculation increased that the aircraft could become China's next generation aircraft carrier-based fighter jet.
- India, Australia sign accord to boost military cooperation Press TV 04 Jun 2020 -- India and Australia have reached an agreement to grant access to each other's military bases for purported military cooperation in the Indo-Pacific region.
- Russia delivers new batch of advanced MiG-29 fighter jets to Syria Press TV 04 Jun 2020 -- The Russian Embassy in Damascus says Syria has received a new batch of advanced Mikoyan MiG-29 twin-engine fighter jets, which are currently being used by Syrian pilots to strike the positions of foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants in the country.
- Russia Delivers 'Second Batch' Of Planes To Syria After U.S. Accuses It Of Sending Jets To Libya RFE/RL 04 Jun 2020 -- Russia has confirmed the delivery of more MiG-29 fighter jets to Syria, just days after the U.S. military accused Moscow of using Syria to transfer warplanes to Libya.
- Armed Forces announce launch of first Cyber Regiment in major modernisation UK MOD 04 Jun 2020 -- A new Cyber Regiment has been launched to protect frontline operations from digital attack as Defence continues its modernisation to combat the threats of tomorrow, Defence Secretary Ben Wallace today announces.
- 4 June 2020 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 04 Jun 2020
- Syrian air defenses thwart Israeli airstrike on Hama Press TV 04 Jun 2020 -- Syrian air defenses have thwarted Israeli airstrikes over the western province of Hama.
- Syrian protesters in Hasakah demand withdrawal of US-backed SDF militants Press TV 04 Jun 2020 -- Dozens of people in the southern countryside of Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah have staged a rally in protest at the arbitrary practices of the militants affiliated with the so-called Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), demanding the withdrawal of the US-backed Takfiris from the area.
- Why Is Turkey Involved in Libyan Conflict? VOA 04 Jun 2020 -- Turkey and Libya further strengthened their bilateral ties on Thursday in a meeting between Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and the Tripoli-based Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj.
- Libya's UN-backed government forces take over Tripoli International Airport Global Times 04 Jun 2020 -- Forces of Libya's UN-backed government on Wednesday announced taking over the former International Airport in the south of Tripoli from the rival eastern-based army, as the armed conflict between the two parties continues.
- Libya's UN-recognized govt. takes full control of Tripoli, suburbs from Haftar's forces Press TV 04 Jun 2020 -- Libya's UN-backed government says its forces have managed to fully regain control of the capital, Tripoli, and its suburbs, after being besieged for more than a year by forces loyal to renegade General Khalifa Haftar.
- Libya's national govt. retakes Tripoli Intl. Airport from Haftar forces Press TV 04 Jun 2020 -- Forces loyal to Libya's Government of National Accord (GNA) say they have reseized Tripoli international airport after heavy fighting with rival troops supporting strongman Khalifa Haftar.
- Libya's prime minister to meet with Turkish president in Ankara Press TV 04 Jun 2020 -- Libya's Prime Minister Fayez Sarraj is about to meet Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan in Ankara, as the two allies seek to lock in recent gains against the North African country's rebel commander, Khalifa Haftar, ahead of a fresh round of peace talks on a potential truce.
- Civilian Death Toll From Clashes in Myanmar's Rakhine Climbs to Over 250 Radio Free Asia 04 Jun 2020 -- Fighting in western Myanmar's Rakhine state between government forces and the ethnic Arakan Army has killed 257 civilians and injured 570 others during the period from December 2018 to May of this year, according to figures compiled by RFA's Myanmar Service.
- India Hopes Talks Resolve China Faceoff Along Border VOA 04 Jun 2020 -- A standoff between Indian and Chinese troops along their disputed border in the northern Himalayas shows no signs of easing. But even as the Asian giants have moved troops and heavy artillery into the region, talks are being held at the military and diplomatic levels to resolve the tensions, according to Indian officials.
- South Sudanese Army Officer Dies of Injuries Following Implication in Civilian Death VOA 04 Jun 2020 -- A senior South Sudanese army officer implicated in the shooting deaths of four civilians has succumbed to his injuries and died at a hospital in Juba.
- US State Department inspector general fired while probing Saudi arms sales Press TV 04 Jun 2020 -- An inspector general at the US State Department who was fired last month has confirmed that he was probing the declaration of an "emergency" to justify the controversial sales of 8 billion dollars' worth of weapons to Saudi Arabia when he was abruptly relieved of his duties.
- Fired State Department IG Testifies Pompeo Aide Tried to 'Bully' Him to End Probe of Saudi Arms Deal Sputnik 04 Jun 2020 -- Democrats are investigating the ouster of Steve Linick last month, which they suspect could be motivated by political reasons. Linick now confirms he was looking into Pompeo for potential abuse of office. The secretary of state denies that his decision to fire Linick was payback for the investigations he was conducting.
- Briefing by Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Maria Zakharova, Moscow, June 4, 2020 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 04 Jun 2020
- US Ban on Chinese Students With Military Links Divides Experts on Impact VOA 04 Jun 2020 -- A new U.S. ban on Chinese graduate students with military ties went into effect this week, and universities are still grappling over its expected impact on American universities and several thousand Chinese students.
- Hong Kong Legislature Passes Controversial National Anthem Law VOA 04 Jun 2020 -- Hong Kong's legislature Thursday passed a controversial law to forbid ridicule of the Chinese national anthem amid widespread opposition.
- HK passes national anthem bill Global Times 04 Jun 2020 -- Hong Kong lawmakers passed the national anthem bill on Thursday, which was considered a victory for the pro-establishment group amid the intensifying political battle, as the bill had been delayed due to disruptions from pan-democratic legislators.
- US Accuses China of Breaking Democracy Pledge for Hong Kong VOA 04 Jun 2020 -- The United States accused China on Thursday of breaking its commitment for democracy in Hong Kong, hours after the city's legislature passed a law making it a crime to disrespect China's national anthem.
- Beijing firmly supports HKSAR's status as a separate customs territory Global Times 04 Jun 2020 -- Beijing strongly supports Hong Kong special administrative region's status as a separate customs territory, and any unilateral measures against the Chinese city using US domestic law, conform neither to WTO rules nor the interests of the US, said the Ministry of Commerce (MOFCOM) on Thursday.
- Security legislation for HKSAR will not affect rights, freedoms People's Daily 04 Jun 2020 -- The national security legislation for the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region will not affect the various rights and freedoms of local residents as it will only target a very small number of people whose criminal acts endanger national security, a senior official said on Wednesday.
- US decision to strip Hong Kong of special trading status violates WTO rules: China Press TV 04 Jun 2020 -- China says a recent decision by the administration of US President Donald Trump to strip Hong Kong of its special trading status violates rules of the World Trade Organization (WTO).
- Statement from the Press Secretary Commemorating the 31st Anniversary of the Tiananmen Square Massacre The White House 04 Jun 2020
- Thousands Mark Tiananmen Massacre Anniversary Despite Ban in Hong Kong Radio Free Asia 04 Jun 2020 -- Thousands of people defied a ban in Hong Kong on Thursday to commemorate those who died in the 1989 Tiananmen massacre by the People's Liberation Army (PLA), while relatives held a low-key memorial ceremony at a Beijing cemetery.
- US Presses China for 'Full Public Accounting' of 1989 Tiananmen Crackdown VOA 04 Jun 2020 -- The United States marked the anniversary of China's deadly 1989 crackdown on pro-democracy protesters in Tiananmen Square by reiterating the call for "a full, public accounting of those killed or missing."
- Authorities to Destroy Uyghur Cemetery in Xinjiang Capital Radio Free Asia 04 Jun 2020 -- Authorities in northwest China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) have announced plans to destroy a Uyghur cemetery in the capital Urumqi, marking the latest of dozens razed in recent years as part of a campaign experts have said is aimed at controlling members of the ethnic group.
- China to cautiously ease international flight restrictions but not due to US bullying tactics Global Times 04 Jun 2020 -- China on Thursday took a cautious yet significant step to loosen restrictions on international flights put in place to stem the spread of the novel coronavirus. This move aims to pave the way for more global carriers to resume services to dozens of Chinese cities to meet rising demand for global travel while maintain necessary anti-epidemic measures to prevent a much-feared influx of imported cases.
- New Nasdaq Restrictions Affecting Listing of Chinese Companies US Dept. of State 04 Jun 2020 -- "The Trump Administration is committed to ensuring that all American businesses and investors can operate on a level playing field with the rest of the world. As part of this ongoing effort, I applaud Nasdaq for requiring auditing firms to ensure all listed companies comply with international reporting and inspection standards."
- DPRK warns S. Korea against sending anti-Pyongyang leaflets People's Daily 04 Jun 2020 -- A senior official of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) has threatened to scrap the military agreement with South Korea unless Seoul stops sending anti-Pyongyang leaflets across the demilitarized zone, the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) reported on Thursday.
- North Korea warns South of ending military pact over propaganda leaflets Press TV 04 Jun 2020 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un's sister has warned South Korea of the possible scrapping of a recent inter-Korean military agreement if Seoul fails to stop North Korean defectors from sending propaganda leaflets into the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) separating the two countries.
- Khamenei Describes Events In The US As True 'Nature Of America' Radio Farda 04 Jun 2020 -- While Iranian state-run media are lambasting the U.S. over the killing of George Floyd killing and the resulting civil unrest, the Supreme Leader of the Islamic Republic Ali Khamenei has limited his reaction to two tweets and brief comments in a speech.
- Why IRGC's Increasing Influence In Iran's Parliament Is Significant? Radio Farda 04 Jun 2020 -- The commanders of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) have always been present in the Iranian Parliament (Majles) over the years,holding various positions. The IRGC presence in the Majles has been more eye-catching after the 1980s war with Iraq and from mid-1990s.
- Turkish parliament strips status of two pro-Kurdish lawmakers, one MP from main opposition party Press TV 04 Jun 2020 -- The Turkish parliament has stripped two pro-Kurdish lawmakers and one MP from the main opposition party of their parliamentary status as the Ankara government presses ahead with a clampdown on opposition members.
- Lukashenka Names New PM Ahead Of Belarus Presidential Vote RFE/RL 04 Jun 2020 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has named the previous head of a state body overseeing the defense industry as prime minister, two months before a presidential election.
- Lukashenko Appoints Head of Military Industry Authority as New Prime Minister - Reports Sputnik 04 Jun 2020 -- Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has appointed Roman Golovchenko, the head of the State Authority for Military Industry, as the new prime minister, Belta news agency reported on Thursday.
- Cuba says new US sanctions designed to affect Cuban families Press TV 04 Jun 2020 -- Cuba has denounced as "shameful and criminal" the latest sanctions imposed by the United States on the Caribbean country, saying they are designed to affect Cuban families.
- With Myanmar Set to Vote in November, Opposition Wants a Precise Date Radio Free Asia 04 Jun 2020 -- Election officials in Myanmar have not set a date for November general elections to be held amid continuing armed conflict in parts of the multiethnic country and a coronavirus pandemic of unknown duration, they said Thursday, drawing criticism from parties who say the uncertainty hurts their chances.
- SpaceX rocket launches 60 internet satellites into space Global Times 04 Jun 2020 -- US private space company SpaceX launched its eighth batch of 60 Starlink satellites into space on Wednesday.
- Ukrainian Court Rules Force Can Be Used To Bring Ex-President In For Questioning RFE/RL 04 Jun 2020 -- A court in Kyiv has ruled that former Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko can be brought by force to the offices of the State Bureau of Investigations (DBR) after he twice ignored a summons last month.
- Wife of Former Lesotho Prime Minister Back in Prison in Murder of his Ex-Wife VOA 04 Jun 2020 -- The wife of former Lesotho Prime Minister Thomas Thabane, who was charged with killing her husband's first wife, is back in prison after a judge revoked her bail last week, pending a June 16 hearing.
- Philippines drug campaign directive seen as 'permission to kill': UN rights office UN News 04 Jun 2020 -- A campaign to eradicate illegal drugs in the Philippines that began in 2016 has led to the killing of at least 8,600 people but the real figure could be three times that number, the UN human rights office, OHCHR, said on Thursday. In a report citing "near-impunity" for the killings, which have continued along with other alleged abuses during the COVID-19 pandemic, the UN office noted that the High Commissioner for Human Rights stood ready to assist "credible efforts towards accountability", both nationally and internationally.
- UN: Thousands Killed with Impunity in Philippines Illegal War on Drugs VOA 04 Jun 2020 -- A new United Nations report accuses the Philippines' government of waging an illegal campaign against suspected drug users in which thousands are being killed and arbitrarily arrested with impunity. The report released by the U.N. Human Rights Office Thursday calls for justice for the victims and for perpetrators to be held accountable for their crimes.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|