16 February 2020 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S. identifies warship that sailed through Taiwan Strait Saturday CNA 16 Feb 2020 -- The U.S. warship that sailed through the Taiwan Strait on Saturday has been identified as the USS Chancellorsville, according to a Facebook post by the U.S. Seventh Fleet late Saturday.
- Secretary Esper Media Roundtable DoD 16 Feb 2020 -- Secretary of Defense Mark T. Esper
- USS Maine Successfully Tests Second Trident II D5LE Missile NNS 16 Feb 2020 -- The U.S. Navy conducted a scheduled one-missile test flight of an unarmed life-extended Trident II (D5LE) missile from USS Maine (SSBN-741), an Ohio-class ballistic missile submarine, on the Western Test Range off the coast of San Diego, California, today.
- NATO rejects France's offer to extend nuclear protection to whole Europe Press TV 16 Feb 2020 -- NATO's chief has rejected a call by France's President Emmanuel Macron to put the country's nuclear deterrence capabilities at the center of defense strategies adopted by the European Union (EU) members.
- NATO Chief Rejects Macron Call To Put French Nukes At Center Of European Strategy RFE/RL 16 Feb 2020 -- NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg dismissed calls by French President Emmanuel Macron to put France's nuclear deterrence at the center of European defense strategy, saying the United States and Britain already provide an effective security umbrella.
- Is Iran Using Space Launches To Develop Long-Range Missiles? RFE/RL 16 Feb 2020 -- Iran's latest failed attempt to send a satellite into orbit has rekindled U.S. accusations that Tehran is using satellite launches to develop its ballistic missiles.
- Venezuelan armed forces stage nationwide drills amid tensions with US Press TV 16 Feb 2020 -- Venezuela's armed forces and civilian militia have staged nationwide military drills in a show of force by President Nicolas Maduro, as Washington ramps up pressure on the Latin American country.
- Pompeo boasts of Western global domination amid China, European criticisms Press TV 16 Feb 2020 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has boasted his country's international role despite criticisms and expressions of suspicions by its European allies, claiming Western "values" would prevail over desires by China, Russia and Iran for "empire."
- President Assad says Syrians will liberate whole country from grips of terrorists Press TV 16 Feb 2020 -- President Bashar al-Assad says Syrians are determined to liberate the whole country from the clutches of foreign-sponsored Takfiri terrorists, amid a full-scale offensive by the army in the northwestern province of Idlib, the last militant bastion in a nine-year war.
- Situation in Libya deeply troubling, UN warns Press TV 16 Feb 2020 -- A United Nations (UN) official has warned that the situation in Libya is "deeply troubling," a fragile ceasefire in the crisis-hit country has seen dozens of violations, and a UN arms embargo imposed on the country has become a "joke."
- Armed bandits kill dozens in northwest Nigeria Press TV 16 Feb 2020 -- Armed bandits have killed at least 30 people in raids on two villages in northwestern Nigeria.
- South Sudan's rebel leader rejects president's peace offer Press TV 16 Feb 2020 -- Rebels in South Sudan have rejected a peace proposal by the president that would have seen the country returning to an original system of ten states plus three new regions.
- Hong Kong Protesters Build Barricades, Set Fire to Railway Station Amid Anger Over Virus Radio Free Asia 16 Feb 2020 -- Protesters in Hong Kong returned to the streets at the weekend amid growing public anger over the city authorities' handling of the coronavirus epidemic, with one group setting fire to a railway station and another damaging a local clinic.
- Rouhani: Iran successfully overcomes maximum pressure IRNA 16 Feb 2020 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said on Sunday that all indexes indicate that the Islamic Republic of Iran has successfully overcome the US maximum pressure.
- US policy of 'maximum pressure' on Iran failed to achieve goals: President Rouhani Press TV 16 Feb 2020 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani says the US policy for exerting 'maximum pressure' on Iran has already failed and all economic indexes show that the country has weathered the worst phase of that policy.
- Rohani Says Tehran Will Never Talk To U.S. Under Pressure RFE/RL 16 Feb 2020 -- President Hassan Rohani says Iran will never hold talks with the United States under pressure or from a position of weakness, adding that Tehran's help was needed in establishing stability in the Middle East.
- Iraqi PM-designate pledges to name 'independent' cabinet this week Press TV 16 Feb 2020 -- Iraq's Prime Minister-designate Mohammed Tawfiq Allawi has vowed to announce this week his cabinet made up of "independent" and "impartial" figures.
- Scores Of Opposition Leaders, Activists Detained Ahead Of Election Protest In Baku RFE/RL 16 Feb 2020 -- Police in Azerbaijan have detained three opposition party leaders and more than 100 activists ahead of a protest in Baku against the results of last week's parliamentary elections that were criticized by international observers.
- North Macedonia Parliament Dissolves After Passing Key Prosecution, Defense Legislation RFE/RL 16 Feb 2020 -- North Macedonia's parliament has passed two key bills, on the public prosecutor's office and defense, before the chamber dissolved to pave the way for snap elections.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|