09 February 2020 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- US Forces Reportedly Building New Base in Northeast Syria VOA 09 Feb 2020 -- The United States military has begun building a new base in northeast Syria, according to local reports.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Iran unveils 'Raad-500' missile IRNA 09 Feb 2020 -- Iran unveiled 'Raad-500' missile with 'Zoheir' composite propelling engine, a new generation of missile propelling system and satellite carriers.
- Iran unveils "Raad 500" missile ISNA 09 Feb 2020 -- Iran has unveiled a new missile dubbed "Raad 500" (Thunder 500) with a composite engine as well as the new generation of engines for propelling missiles and satellite carriers.
- Iran unveils new missile with composite engine block Press TV 09 Feb 2020 -- Iran has unveiled a new missile, 'Ra'd-500 (Lightning-500),' which is equipped with a composite engine block as well as the new generation of propellant for missiles and satellite carriers.
- Qatar may become first Persian Gulf Arab state to operate submarines: Report Press TV 09 Feb 2020 -- Qatar is reportedly expected to acquire submarines from Italy and turn into the first Persian Gulf Arab country to operate those watercrafts.
- Syrian army gains control of 600 sq.km., several towns, villages in Aleppo, Idlib: Statement Press TV 09 Feb 2020 -- Syrian government forces, backed by allied fighters from popular defense groups, have made significant advances against foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants in the northwestern provinces of Aleppo and Idlib.
- Turkey warns of 'Plan B' amid Syria's anti-terror operation in Idlib Press TV 09 Feb 2020 -- Turkey says it will change tack in northwestern Syrian province of Idlib, where an intensified anti-terror operation is underway by Syrian army against foreign-backed militant outfits, if the deal reached with Russia is violated.
- Taiwan scrambles F-16 fighters to monitor Chinese warplanes CNA 09 Feb 2020 -- Taiwan scrambled F-16 fighter jets to monitor the movement of Chinese military planes that circled half of Taiwan on Sunday morning, the Ministry of National Defense (MND) said later that day.
- PLA's patrol encircling Taiwan island sends stern warning to secessionists: source Global Times 09 Feb 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Sunday organized warships and warplanes in a combat readiness patrol, with aerial forces crossing through the Bashi Channel and Miyako Strait, a move that an authoritative source said was sending a stern warning to Taiwan secessionists.
- China military conducts combat-ready patrol to address current security situation across Taiwan Strait PLA Daily 09 Feb 2020 -- The Chinese PLA Eastern Theater Command organized naval and air forces to conduct combat-ready patrol on Sunday, said Air Force Senior Colonel Zhang Chunhi, Spokesperson for the Chinese PLA Eastern Theater Command, in a written statement.
- Hamas lauds West Bank resistance against deal of century, urges unified front Press TV 09 Feb 2020 -- The Palestinian resistance movement Hamas has lauded the actions of West Bank Palestinians in rejecting the so-called "deal of the century" and has called for the formation of a united front against the plan.
- Israel mapping West Bank annexations under US Mideast plan: Netanyahu Press TV 09 Feb 2020 -- Prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu says Israel has started drawing up maps of the occupied West Bank areas that it wants to annex under US President Donald Trump's self-proclaimed "deal of the century" for the Middle East.
- Death Toll Rises To 10 From Ethnically Fueled Kazakh Clashes RFE/RL 09 Feb 2020 -- Kazakh Deputy Interior Minister Aleksei Kalayichi has raised the death toll to 10 from ethnically fueled violence that erupted in a village in southern Kazakhstan late on February 7 and spread to nearby communities.
- Voting Begins in Cameroon French Areas, Timid in English Zones VOA 09 Feb 2020 -- Local and parliamentary elections have begun successfully in French-speaking areas of Cameroon but things are slow going in the English-speaking zones of the central African country where separatists fighters warned residents not to vote. Several election staff have been attacked. Cameroon president Paul Biya has encouraged and congratulated those who voted.
- GOP senators wanted to stop Trump from firing Ambassador Sondland: Report Press TV 09 Feb 2020 -- Several Republican senators urged Donald Trump not to fire Gordon Sondland, the US ambassador to the European Union and a star impeachment witness, but the president moved forward an ousted the top diplomat anyway, according to report.
- Pyongyang Unprepared for Outbreak Like Coronavirus, Says North Korean Doctor Who Defected VOA 09 Feb 2020 -- North Korea's medical system for coping with contagious diseases like the coronavirus is prioritized to protect the elites of the regime in Pyongyang and is unequipped to treat its local citizens, said a former North Korean medical doctor.
- Iran's Zafar satellite launched successfully, fails to reach orbit Press TV 09 Feb 2020 -- The spokesman for the Iranian Space Agency (ISA) says the country has successfully launched its domestically-made Zafar (Triumph) satellite using a Simorgh (Phoenix) satellite carrier, though the missile fell short of reaching the designated orbit.
- Iranian Satellite Launched But Fails To Reach Earth's Orbit RFE/RL 09 Feb 2020 -- Iranian Satellite Launched But Fails To Reach Earth's OrbitIranian state television reports that Iran on February 9 failed in an attempt to launch an Iranian-made Zafar satellite into the Earth's orbit.
- Iran signs $1.4bn deal to develop two oilfields Press TV 08 Feb 2020 -- An Iranian energy engineering conglomerate has been awarded with a deal worth $1.4 billion to develop two oilfields southeast of the country.
- Belarus To Buy Russian Oil At 'Global Market' Prices RFE/RL 09 Feb 2020 -- Belarusian First Deputy Prime Minister Dzmitry Krutoy has been quoted as saying Minsk will pay "global market" prices for oil from Russia this year.
- Exit Polls Show Aliyev's Ruling Party Strengthens Majority In Parliamentary Elections RFE/RL 09 Feb 2020 -- An exit poll in Azerbaijan's February 9 parliamentary elections suggests President Ilham Aliyev's ruling New Azerbaijan Party (YAP) has increased its share by four seats in the single-chamber legislature and only one opposition candidate has won a seat.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|